Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

New Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 11:26 PM
atvracer
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Switch

I'm so mad

I Had my heli for about a 18 months and I was told it's a good idea to change your switch harness about every year or so for cheap insurance well last night I but a NEW Heavy duty switch in and about a half a tank flying inverted about 20ft up she goes nuts strait into the ground after looking at the wreckage my New switch had a bad solder joint cheap insurance it cost me $$$$
I guess I'll check more closely at my harness before installing them

ATVRACER
Old 05-20-2002, 09:00 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default New Switch

if it aint broke, dont fix it, gos for switches, crystals, servos, everything.
the big p*$$ take is i bet you put your old switch back in when you fix her up again
Old 05-20-2002, 09:52 AM
Blackie

Default New Switch

I don't know anything about heli's but is it possible to add a second switch for a semi redundant system? As a plane pilot I have this setup on a couple of my planes where I split the battery with a Y harness soldered to the battery branching out to two switches. If one switch fails I still have the other working.

Before every flight I do a switch test by turning off one, checking controls and then turning off the other, I then turn both back on before flying.

If you added two batteries then you would have even a more redundant system.

As I stated above I am not sure if this is an option as I know nothing about heli's

Randy
Old 05-20-2002, 01:41 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default New Switch

For what it is worth, I have tried industrial DPDT switches and wired them for RC use. It is a good way to combine two switches into one and seem to last quite some time.
Old 05-20-2002, 06:41 PM
LEDZx

Default New Switch

What switches?, I just plug my battery in and go flying, Nothing can go wrong except that the battery dies, and I have a tester for it , apart from that a cable might have something funny go wrong, but what's the chance of that. I have already had to rebuild a balsa wood glider that crashed after i bungeed it into the air, the battery shifted and pulled a wire off the switch, and BOOM, 4 pieces to take home.
Anyway, that's my extremely simple solution.Cheers
Ledz
Old 05-21-2002, 12:51 AM
Blackie

Default New Switch

LEDZx, How are you accessing your battery leads to connect and disconnect them?

Every plane I own has the battery buried inside fuse, and the only way I can access my battery is to remove the wing. Every plane I have ever seen has the same setup.

If you are leaving your wires outside the fuse so you can access them quickly that is not a smart idea as there are to many elements outside the plane that could disconnect the leads.

Randy
Old 05-21-2002, 10:32 AM
LEDZx

Default New Switch

NO, mine are quite easily accesable by taking off the wings, not a lot of effrot there.Simply rubber bands.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:25 AM
Blackie

Default New Switch

Let me get this straight do you mean to tell me every time you fly you remove the wing plug the battery in and then replace the wing, every flight?

Does anyone at your club look at your strangely? j/k

Myself that is not an option, way to much trouble to go through, once you migrate to the more advanced plane's you will see what I mean.

LEDZx, also did you realize that you are to turn your RX off before turning off your TX? and vice versa when turning on the receiver. So in doing so you are leaving your transmitter on the whole while you remove the wing to unplug and plug your battery, meaning the reduction in battery voltage for that day in your TX as well.

Randy
Old 05-25-2002, 10:44 AM
LEDZx

Default New Switch

Blacky, I don't mind going through the trouble if it means my plane is safe, anyway, no-one looks at me strangely, 'cos theres no-one around. We have a farm, my dad and I fly full size (Cessna 172 + Microlight) and i just fly off our runway and in any case I have a spare batt to swap if needed, but somehow my Tx batt will run for bout four hours straight before suddenly dying, I had the unlucky experience of that once when in the morning I woke up and unplugged my tx from the charger, turned everything on , tested the flight controls, left it on to disconnect the rx first, fixed a glitch on the wing, went to fly later on and did a radio check only to find I had hardly any batt left, that was after 4 hrs.
So... I am happy, not in a rush when at the farm, i can see your point though if I were flying something like an Extra or Cap,
Good flying, Cheers
Ledz