Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Question: What do you do when you crash?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Question: What do you do when you crash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 02:08 PM
iflynething

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question: What do you do when you crash?

that's a good idea........
Old 04-25-2004, 04:08 PM
volkan

when i crashed my traniner, with my insturctor on my left, and my dad on my right, all i said (v. loud [it was only the 5th flight]) OH F*UCK!
but normally, i like to watch other crash, and it makes me feel better!!
Old 04-25-2004, 05:33 PM
qfinger2004

I put my LT-25 into a tree last fall and I think everyone else was more worried that I was. AS it was my first crash I felt like it was a pretty amusing rite of passage. Before I knew it there was a "resuce team" running down to the tree with a ladder. I ended up fixing it and everything was fine....happy ending. Of course, 2 weekends ago I sheared off the LG......[X(]
Old 04-25-2004, 06:24 PM
iflynething

ORIGINAL: qfinger2004

.... felt like it was a pretty amusing rite of passage. Before I knew it there was a "resuce team" running down to the tree with a ladder.......[X(]

I also think that when you crash, you have crossed that rite of passage.....I certainaly have many of times...

When someone crashes, I am usually part of that "rescue team" that goes out and spots the plane but many people have told me to wait and follow the pilot of that plane that went down, because, it isn't YOUR plane anyways.....but I don't really care......wether me or the pilot gets there, we're going to still see the same thing.......
Old 04-25-2004, 08:25 PM
mattracer86

It depends on if it was my fault or like radio failure. It is my fault i get pissed but don't talk bad or any thing i just sit their and think about what i done, If its because of someones stupidity like turning on their radio right when they get to the field and their on the same channelas you and cause you to crash i get really mad then the bad mouth starts..But if its due to a linkage or something comming off or radio failuar i dont get as mad but i still get mad..
Old 04-25-2004, 08:42 PM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

I have been in this hobby for about 4 months and have put 4 planes in the bag. Crashing is just something to learn from now. Whether it was my fault (dumb thumbs), or radio glitch, or engine failure, or structural failure (I have seen all four) I learned something from each of these. Heck, the way I see it, you have to laugh or else you go insane from losing that much money and time!
Old 04-25-2004, 11:31 PM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on the plane and the cause of the crash! I lost a old friend that served me well for 8 1/2 years. When it went in though.... It did it in Style! Came from a kit.... returned to a kit. I had the elevator servo go south. IF it equipment failure or a case of dumb thumbs... It usually a oh well.

If it is someone else's fault (like a radio turned on thats not suspposed to be on!!!) Then there is hell to pay!
Old 04-26-2004, 07:17 AM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

quote]ORIGINAL: iflynething

ORIGINAL: RCRAINMAN

rcflyguy_26,

what happened when you saw your plane? Did you ever get it back? Press charges? Stab the theif to death with your Tx antenna?
I'm wondering the same thing.....I would have really got PISSED.....!!!!!!!!

---------------------
I called the cops, and did get the plane back that day! The guy said that he bought the stuff for 10 bucks!

Oh... He also had the Saito 180 that was in the edge!

Never heard anything from the cops after that!

Scott
Old 04-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I usually get quietly mad at myself for doing something stupid, pack up my stuff, go home, have a couple of beers to relax then call the LHS and order another one if it's beyond repair.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:05 PM
unknown

I try to think this was just a bad dream !!!! PLEASE !!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2004, 12:19 PM
-Stevo-

I usually turn towards the peanut gallery, take a bow, then go pick up the pieces with a smile on my face.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:43 PM
airbatic

I built my 1/4 Cub. It was sticks and planks and etc when I opened the box. When I landed it through the pecan trees, the non-kit builders were just plain devastated. They were awed beyond belief. They just couldn't believe it. They asked me, "what will you do Tim?" I laughed at them at left them there. The kit-builder types liked my logic. "It's 90% assembled. I'm going home to finish the other ten."

SO...REBUILD IT!

Kraus
Old 04-26-2004, 04:45 PM
MikeMc

I'm always doing something right on the edge anyway. Usually very high speed or very low speed at about 3 feet from the ground so I know it's going to happen and expect it. It's always a tiny pilot error where there was no room for error. My buddy and I usually end up laughing about it. We then like to become amature FAA inspectors of the crash scene and Identify all the parts, where it first impacted the ground, what broke first, etc. It's usually a good time.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:44 PM
iflynething

I am also the kind of person that likes to fly RIGHT ON THAT EDGE and about to fly off......I haven't got that low with my Somethin' Extra...but on my trainer, I have gone WOT and done a very fast touch and go.......I will eventually be there with that SE and maybe even inverted with it......Speaking of inverted and low......there is a guy that flies at the same field as me.....he has a GIANT Stick, and has a tail wheel and a place on the front TOP to put landing gear and he will land inverted.......I hope that I will get that way.......

BTW, I'm about to get a heli (I won a 7C as a pilots prize, and won't have to pay for that; will be a Rappy 30) and I don't know how far I will get on the edge with that thing.......I hope that I can get to flying like Alan Szabo or Curtis Youngblood....!!
Old 04-26-2004, 06:46 PM
zetor
My Feedback: (2)

I crashed a plane a week ago. I just started my other one and went back up. No big deal. Everyone says that if you fly long enough, you will crash. If you really believe that, there is no need to be upset.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:28 PM
barkin_bob

I always place blame on radio interference or the guy standing closest to me.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:28 PM
MR G

Zetor,

I agree with you 100%, right after I yell out a few obscenities that would make a gang banger blush.

But for real, I think that if you understand that eventually everybody crashes, it is part of the hobby.

MR G
Old 04-27-2004, 03:20 AM
Mhale71

its not that bad
we all crash
its not that bad
its not that bad
its not that bad
its not that bad
its not tha... .... some day im gonna die of stress...

well the only real thing that gets me through a crash is remembering the fact that it was much harder to build the damn plane then it will be to repair. ... that and epoxy...
Old 04-27-2004, 11:00 AM
StallN

My first trainer: First flight w/ rudder reversed, noticed this at liftoff. Throttled back, touched a wing and ground looped. No damage! Second flight, landed in high grass to avoid the woods, flipped over. No damage. Third flight, stalled after left turn from takeoff. [X(] Rolled inverted at 20 feet, LAWN DART!! Broken prop & spinner. Covering popped from right wing, battery punched through front of fuse. I told my son, "Well, that didn't work!" Then we repaired it.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:59 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I start cussing low, a fraction of a second before the nose hits the ground, and start to cuss loudly if it catches fire!
Old 04-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Flyin4Fun

Ask who is ever standing next to me, "What time does the Hobby Shop Open?"
Old 04-28-2004, 10:45 PM
garygorf

I have used a lot of the above methods more than once. My best was: I spent a week repairing a wing that had impacted a steel pole. This was in the days before CA glue.
While I was buying repair stuff at the LHS, I also got a wing kit. I got out to the field, and on takeoff, the wing dipped, hit the ground and broke right where it had the first time. I calmly took all the aileron hardware out of the wing and did some wing walking. Some thought I had lost my temper, but I had taken all of the hardware out of the wing first. Luckily it was caught on film< clearly showing I HAD NOT LOST MY TEMPER !

Gary
Old 04-29-2004, 07:40 PM
Skeletor

Always maintain composure. I used to be bad about hitting the fences at either end of the runway. The first time I did it, I stood and stared in amazement as my plane appeared to stop in mid-air on the landing approach. (I was off the buddy box by then) My comment to my instructor was "did you see that?", about that time, the barbed wire twisted and the tail dropped making it obvious that I had stuck the plane on the top wire. I have really only had one bad crash, I felt angry and wanted to blame someone else but I knew it was pilot error and quietly went to pick up the pieces. Once I hit a fence post with the wing and the plane did a loop-t-loop around the post without hitting the wire, I simply said "ouch".
Old 05-01-2004, 08:17 PM
air mail rcu

When I put one in................I hate that statement. But when it happens, if its my fault
I say something like $H!# then walk out and get it, wipe all the fuel off it and make sure I get all the parts. Put it on my work bench. Wait a day or two and start fixing it.

You know they don't fly right until they've been wrecked aleast once.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:12 AM
doctoreagle

I try to replay the image in my mind over and over again. Try to figure out exactly what went wrong, then see how bad the damage is and if I can fix it. If not then I mourn for my loose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.