Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Question: What do you do when you crash?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Question: What do you do when you crash?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 07:05 PM
iflynething

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: What do you do when you crash?

I'm curious as to what other people do when they crash......It doesn't matter how bad you smash it in.....but just in general, when you crash, do you get pissed and make a hissy fit and say a few beep words, do you maybe get a little mad and get your plane, or just take it easy, know that you couldn't help it, and get you plane and just go in with your day....

BTW, that's how I am.....I really don't care when I crash....NOT AT ALL.....I mean in my head, I'm a little mad that something happened, but I don't really say anything and just get my plane.......clean it, and pack it up........

So, what do you do...

I should have done this as a poll......but, oh well........
Old 04-23-2004, 07:49 PM
flysforfun

Default RE: Question: What do you do when you crash?

The first thing I do is just sit there quietly and listen.....

There is just something special about hearing the last second or so of sound from your plane, knowing that the sound is coming from a plane that doesn't exist anymore! That is so cool, to me. Then of course, you are treated to the spectacular sound of earth shattering impact, crumbling balsa and snapping plane parts.

After that, there is just pure silence, right up until one of your buddies says something- usually a wise crack, or the ubiquous what happened?

Then you just say something stupid, set down your radio and go inspect the carnage. Always be careful to get ALL the parts/pieces, and make a good mental note of where is it, since you may need to go back for missing parts.

I used to get kind of an ill feeling after crashing a balsa plane. Lately though, I fly mostly SPAD &/or combat planes. These are so tough and soo much funner to crash. Usually you just blow the crap out of the carb, put on a new prop, and fly again.

Don't fly them if you don't want to crash them. Crashing is an immenent part of flying on the edge. And if your not flying on the edge, your probally not learning as fast as you could.

enjoy!
Old 04-23-2004, 08:28 PM
iflynething

ORIGINAL: flysforfun

Don't fly them if you don't want to crash them. Crashing is an immenent part of flying on the edge. And if your not flying on the edge.....
enjoy!

Well, I am a person that LOVES to fly on the edge.....you should see me with my Somethin' Extra and flying that baby.....I haven't got to the 10' inverted off the deck yet....that's soon to come when I get up the courage.....

I know that crashing is an immenent part of flying but if you didn't fly what fun would you have??...........HHHMMMMmmm??.........
Old 04-23-2004, 09:41 PM
hunter_alexander
My Feedback: (1)

I bust out laughing, like "holy S&#%!!! Man that was cool." I get a kick out of it. I mean, if it is going to happen, yelling or something like that isnt going to do anything to save it. So have fun with it.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:02 AM
2left_thumbs

It really depends on the crash. Most times, I just laugh and walk out to pick up the pieces. My thoughts are if you fly it, it will eventually crash, so why get upset? Rebuild it if possible, give it the proper sendoff if not. Having said that, I was pretty bummed when my Goldberg Eagle went in. It was my first plane, had several hundred flights on it, and was pretty high in sentimental value. It took a little longer to get over that one, but I was still able to laugh it off by the end of the day, with a little help from my buddies.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:00 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Golf response... throw transmitter in the woods, curse and swear, jump in car and race off leaving mess for some other poor sob to clean up...

Andy
Old 04-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Love2FlyMN

I swore once
Old 04-24-2004, 10:54 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I utilize the neck strap. It saves the TX when it would otherwise be thrown halfway across the runway. Only problem is when you throw it, it starts wrapping the strap around your neck, until the TX smashes into your face, leaving you with two deep gimble marks in the middle of your forehead. After you finally get the bleeding to stop, the crash seems like nothing. I wonder what would happen with a TX tray?
Old 04-24-2004, 11:01 AM
notenoughtime

Stand there thinking Hmmm! that sucks. Then I go pick up the pieces and grab another plane. The people around me take it harder than I do. Throw the peices on the bench and about a week later decide whether it worth fixen. I have had 3 crashes in last 6 months, one of them was just tail feathers and left wing left, it's flying again. Other 2 had snapped wing and just tail feathers and one of them will be flying soon. Rebuilding takes some time but makes crashes less painfull for me.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:52 AM
bigchap

i laugh long and hard!
Old 04-24-2004, 11:52 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Deadeye, LMAO. But unless you had a really long neckstrap, I think you'd only get about one revolution around the neck before you'd get the gimble prints.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:40 PM
trumpetjet
My Feedback: (12)

Build, build, build again.
Old 04-24-2004, 02:16 PM
iflynething

ORIGINAL: a65l

........ for some other poor sob to clean up...

Andy

Don't mind if I do.......Actually, that is EXACTLY how I'm about the get another plane probably today.......I like it when others crash because they don't think it can be fixed as it can but they just don't have the time or don't want to do it........Well, I'm gettin another trainer for my dad to learn on when he can come up with the money to get all the stuff for it (I have the radio but HE has to buy the engine and flight pack for it (I'm not doing it!!LOL(but might end up doin anyways cuz he IS my dadLOL))).........

I have about got 4 planes because people have crashed them..........bout got a Pizazz, a Declathon (sp?), and a um......don't remember the others.......well that's two, but it's two planes that I didnt' have to pay for......lol.....
Old 04-24-2004, 08:26 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

I depend.When I carsh the big ones, it is a moment of silence for what seems like an eternity. I go pick it up and decide right there if i can fix it or not. If not, I strip it down and go home with the salvageable parts. If it is fixable i take it home and start on it. If i crash a little one, I usually am more pissed off than totally distraught like i am with the bigger ones. I usually yell and carry on and make a scene. But if I am involved in a mid air, I whoop and holler cause that is about the coolest crash you can have.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:45 PM
iflynething

I myself love mid-airs, but NOT TO BE IN THEM

BTW, what do you do when you "can't" repair it or just don't want to.......do ya throw it away, or give it to someone, or just use it for spare parts for other planes......
Old 04-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Funflyaddict

I hate to admit it but i cried when i crashe my trainer 2 years ago[sm=idea.gif]
it totaly destroyed it and all my equipment was broken
but now i say "Dad i think we need some cyano and epoxy"
Or "Whoops, i need a new plane" and finaly
"Is my reciever alright?"
Old 04-24-2004, 10:37 PM
thewrap

Dang I totaled my ultra stick a while ago. I put the thing in at half throttle in the side of a building. I didnt hit that hard and the engine was in five peices.[:@]
Old 04-24-2004, 10:47 PM
Underaged Pilot
My Feedback: (1)

I havent crased EVER yet so I'll say.....
Hmmph thats a first!![sm=rolleyes.gif]
Old 04-25-2004, 06:55 AM
SkyChaser

I usually break the silence by announcing that my frequency pin is available. (A line that I got right here on RCU's Crash Forum!)
Old 04-25-2004, 08:08 AM
iflynething

ORIGINAL: Underaged Pilot

I havent crased EVER yet so I'll say.....
Hmmph thats a first!![sm=rolleyes.gif]
IF YOU FLY..................YOU WIL CRASH........
Old 04-25-2004, 08:21 AM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

I just laugh a little, and joke with the guys on how it could have been a better crash!

Just think of this... I belong to two clubs. they are 30-40 min apart. I do most of my flying Here in Findlay Oh, then I go and fly some In Tiffin Oh. I had two planes stolen out of my trailer. They found the shattered remains of the H9 540 by some RR tracks. Nothing on the Patriot.

Fast forward one year... I was helping CD the district III mini-fest in Tiffin when I turned around and saw my Patriot for sale!!! I was so mad that some of the guys had to hold me back from killing the guy!! This reaction is totally out of character for me. This is the most I've ever been upset in the hobby. Just an hour before I put in my 33% aeroworks edge!

Scott
Old 04-25-2004, 11:03 AM
RCRAINMAN

I had a total control loss of my cub while it was about 400 ft up or so.... (really up there.) As it entered a right handed spiral I quickly removed my neckstrap and held my Tx high in the air in my right arm. I yelled "I don't have it anymore!" I yelled my frequency channel number and everyone started running for their radios. I yelled that my cub is about to go in and the whole club got real quiet. I had about 20 people watching this beautiful cub spiral straight for home. Then as a last ditch effort to see if I had control I simply pulled back on the elevator. About 20 ft. from the ground the plane suddenly reestablished communication and did a high G pullout of the spiral and returned to level flight. I quickly flew it in to land it and had everyone asking me what the hell just happened.

Anyways, my whole attitude during the event was not bad, I just had this horrible helpless feeling. I have crashed my sukhoi pretty bad and I didn't get upset or anything. I guess if you fly at all you run the risk of losing a plane, so when it happens you just think "Well, it was only a matter of time..."
Old 04-25-2004, 11:05 AM
RCRAINMAN

rcflyguy_26,

what happened when you saw your plane? Did you ever get it back? Press charges? Stab the theif to death with your Tx antenna?
Old 04-25-2004, 12:59 PM
iflynething

ORIGINAL: RCRAINMAN

rcflyguy_26,

what happened when you saw your plane? Did you ever get it back? Press charges? Stab the theif to death with your Tx antenna?
I'm wondering the same thing.....I would have really got PISSED.....!!!!!!!!

RCRAINMAN,

I hate the feeling of helplessness when you know that that plane IS going down and it's just a matter of time......I had a mishap with my trainer where I didn't charge my battery all night, thought it would be good enough for that day, but it wasn't.....it went out and somehow I hit the ailerons and the batt. had one more kick of juice and it rolled back to me and went in at the end of the runway....I knew it was a matter of time before it went down......with my luck.....if I loose control.....that's it.....I FLY FAST AND HARD....there is no room for error the way I fly....LOL
Old 04-25-2004, 01:58 PM
dlcarterjr

I look down and start fiddling with my trim switches...like it was the radio's fault.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.