Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Loss of an Airplane to stupidity!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Loss of an Airplane to stupidity!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 07:35 AM
wagas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of an Airplane to stupidity!

What a weekend. Out flying having a ball then my buddy gets hit. Lands, checks it out thoroughly and when it can't be duplicated he tries again. NEVER had a problem with his new 9C ever.....On take off he gets about 60-70 feet and his radio goes into fail safe. It never had a chance.

On dragging the carcass back me, my buddy Wayne and the owner of the airplane are walking back when the owner says we were more upset about it crashing than he was...He's got a great outlook on things. As we are standing around of what's left of the airplane a guy walks up and pulls my buddy (owner of the airplane) aside and then I see it....that look of "I'm fixing to Puke"...rolls across his face. Yep, you guessed it he got shot down by the guy who was working on his helicopter. Although the guy fesses up to doing it and is willing to make it right it is still stomach churning....What's ironic is the guy was working on his heli not more than 5-8 ft away from the FREQ Board and didn't check it before he turned on his TX......STUPID!

I guess I'm a little upset because I'm the guy that finished this airplane. I have about 3 months worth of waking up in the morning at 4 AM to get it ready to fly. I can't help but feel it was my baby too! Just call it Proud of something I accomplished for a friend......it wasn't just another ARF at the field but a fully built up and customized and unique airplane. I feel this way about ALL the airplanes I build, finish or repair for my friends.....Call it taking pride in what you do....

I think it's easier to deal with a crash if it was the owners own fault but when someone else causes your crash it's a whole other thing.

Well thanks for the Therapy Guys (and it wasn't even my airplane)....here's some pics of what's left as well as before photos.

I think it's easier to deal with a crash if it was the owners own fault but when someone else causes your crash it's a whole other thing.

Well thanks for the Therapy Guys....heres some pics of what's left as well as before photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59834.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	140469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74078.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	140470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76313.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	140471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13039.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	140472  
Old 06-07-2004, 07:37 AM
wagas

Default RE: Loss of an Airplane to stupidity!

Oh heres what the airplane was:

Great Planes 330L
QS 3w106
Old 06-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Ducted Fan Dan
My Feedback: (2)

Sorry about the loss. Looks like a beautiful plane. At least the guy was cool enough to take responsiblity for it and now you know what happened. And fortunately, nobody was hurt.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:22 PM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

So sorry Dynodan, but someone was hurt. #1 The owner-Now he dosn't have a plane to fly and will not have one for some time. AND it is now flying season. #2- the man that finished the plane, the time spent away from his family, and hobby was and is now lost. #3 -the man that shot him down, unfortunately, he had just lost his Giant Scale AeroWorks 33% Edge a couple of weeks ago, and there was discussions on him getting the coin to replace it. That is now out the window. Now he has to buy someone else a plane.

I know everyone makes mistakes and I totally respect the fact he came forward and told what had happened.

But the fact remains there were people hurt because of this mistake. Not physically, injured, but hurt.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Ducted Fan Dan

Thanks for the semantics H. Wayne S.

I will concentrate harder in future posts to use the words "physically injured" instead of hurt.

I am very sorry Wagas, I should have said:

"Sorry about the loss. Looks like a beautiful plane. At least the guy was cool enough to take responsiblity for it and now you know what happened. And fortunately, nobody was PHYSICALLY INJURED."

Wow, I can't believe I was so careless before, thanks to H. Wayne S. I can post more correctly.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:35 PM
wagas

No Sweat Dyno Dan

Wayne....Behave or I'll have to stick you in time out!

By the way, my good buddy Wayne lost his WH Edge about 2 hours after this crash because of someone else's STUPIDITY as well! I had just finished repairing this airplane for him not 3 days prior......

Of course to TOP off the WEEKEND my Favorite PREZ of the USA Passed AWAY! I'll miss you RONNY RAY-GUN!
Old 06-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Falcon Jet

At least the guy had balls to come forward and admit it was him who shot you down, did he pay for your airplane? He could of very easily kept quite and left the field, leaving you scratching your head as to what happened. I can relate, I shot down someone years ago. At the time I was new to the sport and completely forgot to check the frequency board proir to doing a frequency check with mine. Once I realized what I did, I readily admitted it was me that caused him to crash. Since this guy was about twice the size of me, I fully expected to get decked. [] Luckily he had a cool head and I paid him in full for his plane. I felt about as high as a dime. I discreatly left the field and went home and kicked myself for what I did. It was an expensive lesson for me and I still feel bad about what I did. Now, before I even think about turning my transmitter on, I check the frequency board first and place my card. The other guy and I become good friends after that. I say, give the guy a break, it was an honest mistake and he probably felt the same way as I did, AS LONG AS HE PAID FOR YOUR LOSE! Ya it hurts, but s@#t happens. It wasn't the first time this has happened, and it wont be the last.

Just my 2 cents worth,
Chris.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:33 PM
egor

I'm Sorry For the loss And since I build what I fly I Feel your pain.
Went to the Field A couple weekends back. Got the plane out of the truck looked everything over inside everything was good to go, put the wing on and were all set. Walk across the field to the freq. board and the pin is gone. Look around at the group that's there and see a quite a few new faces, but not the two fellas that I know share my freq. Ok, no sweat time for a walk, and some introductions see if we can find who has the pin. Normal procedure is to leave your membership card in place of the pin. Check with a dozen or so people and this new fella says, what you stupid the freq. board it right over there go get the pin. Fortunatly a former club president is setting with this fella, and looks him straight in the eye, and calmly says you really shouldn't have said that to this young man then he looks at me, and says he's all yours eat him alive. I calmly told the gentelman that I had checked the board and the pin was missing, there was no member card showing who was using the freq. , and that I had just come down the line of all the people there checking to see if anyone was using the freq. so I wouldn't shoot anyone down if I turned on my radio. I Then suggested that if he was that stupid he should pack up and leave we didn't need his help in crashing anything.

Sometimes even when you try, and do things the right way you can find a knot head with out any effort.

Egor
Old 06-07-2004, 06:43 PM
wagas

ORIGINAL: Falcon Jet

At least the guy had balls to come forward and admit it was him who shot you down, did he pay for your airplane? He could of very easily kept quite and left the field, leaving you scratching your head as to what happened. I can relate, I shot down someone years ago. At the time I was new to the sport and completely forgot to check the frequency board proir to doing a frequency check with mine. Once I realized what I did, I readily admitted it was me that caused him to crash. Since this guy was about twice the size of me, I fully expected to get decked. [] Luckily he had a cool head and I paid him in full for his plane. I felt about as high as a dime. I discreatly left the field and went home and kicked myself for what I did. It was an expensive lesson for me and I still feel bad about what I did. Now, before I even think about turning my transmitter on, I check the frequency board first and place my card. The other guy and I become good friends after that. I say, give the guy a break, it was an honest mistake and he probably felt the same way as I did, AS LONG AS HE PAID FOR YOUR LOSE! Ya it hurts, but s@#t happens. It wasn't the first time this has happened, and it wont be the last.

Just my 2 cents worth,
Chris.
Falcon Jet:
Yes, he did come forward and said he would make it right...but I don't think it was balls, somebody was helping him with his helicopter and it would have just been a matter of time before somebody said something.. But just because he fessed up to it doesn't make it OK. It was still a STUPID thing that he did! Period.... Should we all be happy because somebody comes forward and admits to wrong doing. I think the owner of the plane would have been better off if he had thought it was an actual failure of some sort. I'm telling you he was fine with the crash and had already accepted the crash 'till the guy fessed to shooting him down.

Yes accidents do happen when PEOPLE GET STUPID! What you did to the guy was STUPID no matter how you look at it. It was your fault. You turned on you transmitter and shot him down. It doesn't matter if it was your dad, brother, best friend or most hated enemy it was a stupid mistake. Everybody makes mistakes, I have, the owner has everybody has I know nobody is perfect, it still hurts. Each to his own but MONEY cannot buy or replace what was worked on. I'll get over it and I'll still continue to build and fly.

Here is a definition of !QUOT!stupid!QUOT! straight out of the dictionary for you...

stu·pid ( P ) Pronunciation Key (stpd, sty-)
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est
Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:56 PM
wagas

EGOR: Thanks dude, You know it's funny when you try to do the right thing you still get slammed even if you are trying to be safe by asking about the pin. People have a tendency to OPEN MOUTH insert foot quite a bit...

I think the biggest problem we have in our club with FREQ control is the LACK of using pins. We have a FREQ board with clips to hold your card over the FREQ number....I hate this method, I would much rather have a PHYSICAL pin to remove. Like a chit system, he who has the chit is the current owner. People in our club will come up and put their card on there with yours and then proceed to let you know when they are gonna fly. So they leave thier card up there all day. I'm in the habit of putting my card up when I fly and remove it when I'm done. It's been a real problem brewing and I hope this gets fixed.. Well I can hope.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Falcon Jet

Your right egor, some people are full of arrogance. You do everything right, but there's always others out there that try to make your life miserable. In my case, it wasn't the newbies that gave me a hard time, but the older club members that gave me grief. Even though I paid the man for the plane I shot down and was cool with him, I got nothing but snotty remarks, sneers and jeers from the older gents of the club. For weeks after the incident, I recieved nothing but verbal abuse and finger pointing. Had an older gentleman approach me one day and asked, "Have you shot down anyone lately?". At that point I had had enough and told him that I was square with the man in question and he was out of line and told him to mind his own business in no uncertain terms. I did what I thought was appropriate for my mistake, but still caught flak from those A-Holes. Anyway, took about a year for me to finally be "accepted" at the field. Since then I moved out of state (military), glad I don't fly there anymore.

Chris.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Falcon Jet

I accept your analogy wagas, Your right, I WAS STUPID AND I ADMIT IT!!!! But I could of very easily kept my mouth shut and pretended I wasn't at fault! Unfortunetly I don't work that way, I was HONEST! That's my point dude, like it or not. We all make mistakes, unfortunately at times at the cost of others. Don't you think I felt like **** about it? Your damn right I did!

By the way, I know how to use a dictionary, thanks.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:36 PM
wagas

Falcon Jet: It's unfortunate that people won't let things go like that. No need to beat a dead horse, it's hard enough for people as yourself to be caught in such an unfortunate and embarrassing incident. Next weekend it will be business as usual at the field and we won't really even be talking about what happened. My buddy is already excited about his next project, I think it will be a carden but not sure. You want to know something funny....His other RC model is a Turbine Jet on that same channel....Could you imagine if he had been flying it that day and moment?

Are you in the Air Force? Where you stationed?
Old 06-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Falcon Jet

Your right, hope all is well with you, was just sharing my experience from someone "on the other end". Hope you don't have to experience that yourself, cause it sucks. Sometimes you just get caught up in the moment and have a total brain melt down!

By the way, am in the U.S. Coast Guard at Air Station Corpus Christi.

Peace out,
Chris.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:29 PM
ZERODOWN
My Feedback: (4)

Ha Ha I'll just fly waynes and andys and everybodys. I'll dust off the P-38.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:48 PM
ZERODOWN

Hey I found a good resting place for it!!!! Over my bathroom door in my shop. Come on over for the viewing.[img][/img]

Name:	Hf10040.jpg
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	140805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84745.jpg
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	140806  
Old 06-07-2004, 08:51 PM
ZERODOWN

ORIGINAL: H. Wayne S

So sorry Dynodan, but someone was hurt. #1 The owner-Now he dosn't have a plane to fly and will not have one for some time. AND it is now flying season. #2- the man that finished the plane, the time spent away from his family, and hobby was and is now lost. #3 -the man that shot him down, unfortunately, he had just lost his Giant Scale AeroWorks 33% Edge a couple of weeks ago, and there was discussions on him getting the coin to replace it. That is now out the window. Now he has to buy someone else a plane.

I know everyone makes mistakes and I totally respect the fact he came forward and told what had happened.

But the fact remains there were people hurt because of this mistake. Not physically, injured, but hurt.
Wayne we don't call it coin, We call it BLING BLING!! By the way how do you like this pic![img][/img]

Name:	Nl28891.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	140807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46192.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	140808  
Old 06-07-2004, 08:54 PM
Windwalker

JEEEZZ Wagas-

You ought to re-read your post #9 a coupla' times along with your dictionary definition. I've rarely seen a better example of a "poor decision" or "careless mistake" as what you wrote.

Lighten Up!

WW
Old 06-07-2004, 08:59 PM
guotao

同情*!!!
Old 06-07-2004, 09:03 PM
ZERODOWN

Ok I'm the owner and I'm over it I think. It's just very disappointing that this happened when you loved it. And what made me and wagas a little edgy is things that this person has said and done in the past and this was icing on the cake. Lets just let it ride and have fun.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:02 AM
Mhale71

nosedived my helicopter and didnt pull up, that stupid enough?
Old 06-08-2004, 05:47 AM
H. Wayne S

Neat ART WORK Scott, I did something like that with the Edge, only it is on the outside of the shop.

OK, OK, OK, Wagas, I'll TRY to play nice, don't want a "Time Out".

Ok Pale Rider, Your comments, well just let me say, I was and am still upset about Scotts plane, you see, were sorta like brothers, It upset me and Andy more than Scott was upset when he first went down. It was not my intent to correct you, I was just trying to point out that there was "hurt" and loss due to this mistake. I think your reply was unnecessarly pointed, but that's ok, I'm going to "Time Out" for a day or two and try to get over my mad.

Last thing you want to hear from a R/C Pilot: "Are those my fingers on the ground?"
Old 06-08-2004, 05:55 AM
wagas

谢谢! 冷却您从北京。与任何人从未谈话从 *国....
Old 06-08-2004, 06:06 AM
wagas

Stupidity: Flip starting APC 11 x 5 Prop (ouch)
Finishing you model and then sticking it in the cieling fan
Working on you buddies airplane and your 2 year old son putts a screw driver thru the wing covering...err sorry Scott!
Putting a 13 x 6 prop on a Super Tigre 2000 and flip starting it...(ouch again)
Crashing your fathers airplanes cause of stupidity.....sorry pop
Trolls........

There, I feel lighter all ready

Scott, lets leave the tail were it's at....I like it. Heh Heh
Old 06-08-2004, 10:11 AM
H. Wayne S

Can't let this opportunity pass:
Stupidity:
-Pulling your plane under the shed and turning the Tx off before you turn the plane and engine off.
-Flip starting a G-26 with an 18 X 8 Master Air Screw prop, - 5 stitches.
-Not pre-flight checking your plane and having the elev. reversed.
-Doing a knife edge with a 33%er four feet off the runway and giving left aileron and up elevator.
-Doing a harrier 8 feet off the ground and running out of gas.
-Forgetting to put the wing bolts in and taking off with a 33%er (yes I got it down.) but still STUPID!
-Going to the field without your Tx. or wings.
-Forgetting to charge your batteries and standing there watching your plane fly off into the sunset never to be seen again.

Now I feel better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.