Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

In a tree!

Old 07-21-2004, 09:43 AM
vertigo72480

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In a tree!

Well, I was out in the field by my house last night around 8:30 flying my newly assembled GWS E-starter and I guess I lost perspective and ended up in a tree. I can see the plane, but I can't climb high enough to get to it. Bad part is that it's not really on the common ground. The tree is is a neighbor's yard and I don't know th neighbor. I'm a little stuck as to what to do. Any body been in the same "tree" as me? Let me know if anyone has any ideas to get it back to terra firma.

Mike
Old 07-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Default RE: In a tree!

Time to introduce yourself? Just smile and be polite and you should get the cooperation you seek. Most people are understanding of toys. If you have children, blame it on them in a nice way It's a stretch, but we are all kids on the inside.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:01 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

I "landed" my aerobird pretty far up in a tree a few weeks ago. It was a tall tree, thin at the top but fairly thick at the bottom. I tried to shake it down, but it wouldn't budge. Tried using tree branches, but it was too high up. Couldn't climb it, no real way to get a ladder in there, the tree's are thick on a steep slope, which added to the problem. Went to the land owners house, he wasn't home. So I left it up there over night. Thunderstorms all night long. Went back the next day with my wife. We both shook it together, sounds kinda kinky, and it fell to terra firma after about 10 mins of shaking. Not much damage, prop came off, dented wing, but everything still works. I let it all dry out b4 I tried anything.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69327.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	155849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79929.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	155850  
Old 07-22-2004, 11:27 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Walk up to your neighbor with a Bud in one hand and a chain saw in the other. Smile real big and say. " Hi, I'm Mike, wanta help me cut down a tree"?
Old 07-22-2004, 11:43 AM
headshot

LOL!!!

And if it is a cute women, dress up in a cheesy bear suit get a 6 pack of Labatts, then due the same. Bear always seems to get lucky!!
Old 07-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Throttle

My plane is still up the tree. I was flying in a pylon race yesterday and went into the trees. David found the wing on the ground but the fuse is up about 40 ft. in the air. My wife and I headed out with 50 ft. of 1 inch PVC pipe to try and retrieve the plane. There is no shaking this tree. It is a very tall pine tree with no low branches. There is a lot of under growth and top canopy. Well after fighting the poison Ivy and the heat here in Deep East TX we gave up. So tomorrow I will head out with my sling shot and rifle and see what damage I can do. Sorry no photos I was got to take the camera but the wife said leave it in the car we have enough stuff to carry.

Well we, I should say acam37 got the plane out of the tree. But let me back up just a little. The morning after my wife and I tried the 50 feet of pvc retrieval method I went out with my 45 cal muzzle loader and loaded it with what is called a whisper load used on squirrels with 13 gr of black powder. A hunting load for this rifle is 113 grs. I put 4 holes through the planes horizontal stabilizer. The plane did not move. Later the land owner B.B. got his bush hog and chain saw and made the area where the plane was, look like a park when he got through. I don't know how many hours it took him but he even cleaned up the cuttings and the ground was nice a smooth. Saying thanks is not enough. The next day acam37 showed up with a browed home made tree climber. He went up that tree like it was home. was up about 15 to 20 ft. and asked for a 20 ft section of 1 inch pvc. While standing in the tree climber with no safety belt he took the end of the pvc pipe jab it into the air looking like the Statue of Liberty while saying at the same time "It's mine" flipped the plane out of the tree and it land right side up. Because of it being a spad I could have flow it with in a few minutes. The only thing broken was the bell horn on the elevator from where one of the 45 cal bullets hit it.

Many thanks to acam37 and all those that help. Just saying thanks doesn't seem to be enough.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:50 AM
vertigo72480

I got my plane back!!!! No help from mother nature, although she did try to ruin my plane. It rained off and on through the weekend so I was a little concerned about the electonics. The neighbors wouldn't let me climb the tree so I was all poised to call a professional, but that cost more money than what I did to get it out. OK, here's the scoop. I went to Lowe's and bought an 8 - 16 foot expandable pool skimmer pole and a 10 foot wooden pole, total extended length about 26 feet, not long enough to get me to the plane, ran home and got a 10 foot tomato stake and two 4 to 5 foot bamboo poles and, oh yeah, my duct tape . Taped it all together and then hoisted it up into the tree. I was able to knock the little turd out of the treetop and into the neighbors yard. Too bad the fence was locked. I went around front and knocked on the door, told me neighbor that I had succeeded in removing my toy from their tree and need in the back yard to retrieve it. Needless to say, there was no problem there.

The good news is that the radio and servos are A OK. The only kind of damage to the thing was in the ailerons, they were torn asunder. Instead of repairing them, I just used blue foam to construct a couple of new ones. The guys at the field loved it, and the plane actually flys better with the ailerons that I made then the ones that it came with.

Mike
Old 07-27-2004, 07:26 AM
scoli121
My Feedback: (20)

HAA! You and I should form a support group! Exactly one week ago, I lost my Avistar to the top of a tree... EXACT SAME SITUATION (almost). Mine is almost 100 feet up. The tree is on the other side of of a 20 feet wide creek. It looks like it's just barely hanging on up there. The worst thing is that when it falls, it's gonna go strait in to at least 2 feet of water. Unless I'm there when it falls, it'll be a complete loss. If I"m there when it happens, I could probably just do some minor repair, charge it and fly again. Talk about a frustrating situation. I called a tree service, and it could be anywhere between $75 and $150. We're supposed to get thunderstorms thsi afternoon, so I guess I'll just go over there and hang out. If you figure out a better way, let me know!
Old 07-27-2004, 10:24 AM
DustOffUH1

GREAT stories LMAO! Mike, I'm glad you got it back scoli, "hang" in there [sm=lol.gif] I thought the storm would have blown my plane down, but that didn't happen. Good Luck! Hope ya get it back.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Dave03B

I put my wildcard in a very big tree just last Saturday. Took me an hour to climb to it!

*an hour to climb carefully to it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71023.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	157919  
Old 07-27-2004, 07:59 PM
Birdman3

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't just do it yesterday!
You may not believe it either!

I got my plane stuck about 40' up a poplar tree, left it overnight, and it started raining the next day after work. It was too wet to CLIMB the tree, so I got out my Mossberg 20 guage shotgun and a box of slugs...
Two shots and I broke the limb off, she tumbled down to the top of a sapling. I shook that, then said "Heck with this." and loaded another slug and blew the top off the sappling.
My plane (which was already named The Phoenix) survived unscathed. She popped off the rudder clevis, and broke one rubber band!

I was so delighted to have her back (since I JUST WRECKED THE LOW WING RACER THE DAY BEFORE!) that I put her up in the shop for a vacation and began a long-overdue wing re-covering on her!!!

Bird
Old 07-28-2004, 05:45 AM
scoli121

well, we had a decent little summer storm last night, and mine is still up there. SON OF A (*&%^$#!!!
Old 07-28-2004, 06:01 AM
Dave03B

so whats you plan to retrieve??
Old 07-28-2004, 09:39 AM
conradj87
My Feedback: (1)

When i got my firebird stuck i threw softballs at it, well not at it, but at the branch holding it, it worked eventually, no damage.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:55 AM
DustOffUH1

I tried throwing rocks. Trouble with that is, small rocks that I could throw high enough, had no effect. The larger rocks that would have an effect, were too large to toss that high up. Softballs sound like a great idea
Old 07-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Dave03B

I threw whatever I could fine whilst in the tree; branches, twigs, Squirrels, poles.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:45 PM
vertigo72480

watch out, squirrels bite. Tree rats. BTW, my e starter flys great and I can't get out enough to fly it.

This is addicting.
Mike
Old 07-28-2004, 03:17 PM
britbrat

Headshot, does IceEagle know that you're running around climbing trees & (maybe) other stuff in a bear suit?
Old 07-28-2004, 03:23 PM
scoli121

Well, waiting for a stiff wind hasn't gotten me anywhere, so I guess maybe I'll go look for that bag of softballs that's down in the basement somewhere.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:58 PM
DustOffUH1

I thought for sure the wind would have knocked my light Aerobird down, but no such luck. It was stuck good. Plus ya never know with the branches going in all directions.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:53 PM

im liking the shot gun meathod, it seems to work very well, as long as you dont shoot yout plane
Old 07-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Mutch

Well, I got my new EasySport stuck about 50ft up a tree a couple of months ago. After thoroughly hosing the wing trying to push it out with PVC, a friendly gent came by with a good length of nylon rope. One end was tied to an oversized Masterlock that probably weighed 2 pounds. After 25 attempts we were able to get the lock over one of the branches that led up to the plane. With him on one end of the rope and me on the other, we were able to bend the branch down far enough where the plane just slid out. She landed on her back in 6 inch grass, undamaged except for where I tore up the wing with the PVC.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:16 AM
LuckyArmpit

Just got my P-51 out of the tree yesterday. Earlier this week, was flying it and it hit the tree about 60 feet up. I just waited until the wind blew it down 4 days later. The GWS p-51 is destroyed (don't really care as it flew like **** anyways). However, I am concerned about the Berg rx, HS-55 servos, FMA mini-20 ESC and my Kokam 2S 1500 pack.

Dave...
Old 08-01-2004, 07:02 AM
air mail rcu

Just got mine out of a tree 60 foot up. Used a fishing rod with a large washer. Took about 50 tries. Once I got the line in the right place I tied some small cord to the washer and pulled it up then down to me. After that I tied some rope to the cord and pulled that over and back to me. Now I have both ends of the rope and I can shake the heck out of the branch. Out pops my plane. Total time about 2 hours. Man them fish are in for it now. My aim is so good now I'm just going to hit them on the head with that big old washer.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:07 AM
scoli121

Well, my Avistar is STILL up there. AT least I've got some good ideas to try now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.