Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Me262 loosing nacelles

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Me262 loosing nacelles

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 07:57 PM
John in Boston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Me262 loosing nacelles

ORIGINAL: SALMONBUG

look the insane attitude on short final for such a model

I am not surprised with the result
Me, I'd tend to think the opposite. It's awfully hard to beat a nice low AOA (angle of attack), especially with a possibly heavy and certainly a bit draggy aircraft planform such as the Schwalbe. That kind of landing looks to be not unwise nor all that unusual for flight test ops involving hot airplanes.

Heck, maybe he NEEDED to bring her in because he knew something you didn't?
None of us were there: We don't know what things the pilot and aircraft may have been up against during those moments aloft.

Lastly, that airplane was by no means "wrecked". The nacelles appear to have practically popped off, which is a very good thing, and one that is often BUILT into the design.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:16 AM
antslake
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Righty

did you see the pilot after the crash...and the reckage?

what was the total damge...look repairable?
Lol, I almost thought it was a real plane too.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:17 AM
ARTF

Graham, I thought we'd taken down all those![X(]

Here's what the owner had to say;
If you look closely at the picture you can see the elevator balance tabs sticking up above the tailplane indicating that full down elevator is in effect. The model was coming into land normally and as it crossed the threshold the nose dropped and the nosewheel hit the ground first shearing the 8mm dia steel rod that Locks the wheel down. I had assumed that I had got the model a little slow and it had started to stall so I was kicking myself that I had got it wrong. I kept reviewing it in my mind as it seemed to fast to stall. I then saw the video and the speed was good. It was not until I saw the 4 attached pictures that I realised that down elevator was in. I can not explain this except to say that over the weekend NINETEEN models crashed at this meeting !!!!!! and it is on a military site ! Model was fitted with PCM radio so even if there was an external influence this should not have happened.

Damage is :-

Both nacelles totalled.
Wing sheeting damaged and wing will need re-skinning.
Front of the fuz damaged
noseleg steering linkage trashed
Lots of superficial surface dings and scrapes.
Model will need a complete re detailing and painting.
Estimated time to repair one year.
Cest la Vie.
Will