Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Shot Down

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 05:15 AM
Conrod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shot Down

What happens at your club, if someone turns on their transmitter and shoots you down. Do they have to pay? This is the second time in three years.[&o]
Old 10-08-2004, 07:04 AM
aaron2874

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shot Down

That's an interesting question. An honorable person would take care of you. I wonder if a club would take action against someone who refused to pay up. I would like to think they would if the offender tried to shirk his responsibility. After all, who wants to have to worry about that?
Old 10-08-2004, 07:58 AM
Jerry Sigur

In our club, they pay if they shoot you down.
Only common courtesy.
Jerry
Old 10-08-2004, 08:06 AM
TOPGUNNER

Well if you put your ID on the channel board and then got shoot down by someone who got there after you "Well YES by all means he should have to pay" i think there might even be a AMA LAW about something like that stating he is at fault....

But if it was'nt a AMA Certified Field with no Radio Board just some club field with limited rules "he can refuse to pay and there is'nt a thing you can do"

goodluck
Old 10-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Jerry Sigur

AMA doesn't really enter into this, it depends on the
freq control, club rules, and the flyers.
Jerry
Old 10-08-2004, 09:15 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

That's a good case for always having a decent frequency board, if the club doesn't have one. If they do he pays.....if not.....well.....it's sort of a gentleman's agreement at that point. Skeet, anyone? Of course I'm just an old biker so we don't really play well with others anyway....
Old 10-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Conrod, Sorry to hear of this issue. Really, it should not be a question. Where I fly, our frequency procedure calls for posession of the frequency clip before turning on the transmitter.

The only incident I have ever seen, where someone turned on a transmitter and shot someone down, involved two Ham operators. These guys can choose one of the 50 MHz transmitters, rather than the 72 MHz units the rest of us fly. The culprit was simply unaccustomed to having to look out for other 50 MHz guys, since he was the only one at his other club. When he turned his Tx on at his alternate club, there was another Ham operator taking off - on the same channel. His plane crashed at the end of the runway. Unfortunately, he had just finished repairing it from a prior crash.

The culprit was very apologetic and paid the other guy immediately, no doubt very embarrassed by the situation. It was a bad situation, but not nasty. Everyone understood what had happened, and all hope to never be involved in a similar case.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 10-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Conrod

I am in New Zealand and yes I was at an approved NZMAA site and I also had the frequency peg. I think our club needs to consider a procedure for this sort of event. On the last occasion I was given $300 nz although the true cost is more like $1000 nz.

Geoff
Old 10-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Well here is my take on the subject.I own 5 jets(1 ducted fan & 4 turbine) With that in mind I have over $25,000 in jets.We have a strictly controled Frequency board at my flying site along with a few guys(we call them field marshalls) whom closely watch that everyone correctly uses the system & safety guidelines.Still you get a Bozo every now and then who comes out to the field ,doesn't think before turning on or better yet is new at our field & doesnt bother to talk to anyone to find out proper protocall

Most RCer's in proper ethics will own up to his mistake or lack of thinking and pay for a loss that he caused.So far at my field that has always been the case.But in these cases we are talking about a payout of a couple hundred bucks on average-not much money .Well enter my jets in which case we are talking approx. $4000-$8000 each .We(just 6 guys fly jets here) very closely monitor activity to protect against our investments.If some Bozo turns on and causes a loss of one of my jets then gives me some crap about how he cant afford to pay for my jet thereafter there's gonna be a big problem.He will then just go home without his car/truck or even more extreme circumstances will follow

Steve
Old 10-10-2004, 05:04 PM
twistr
My Feedback: (4)

Steve:

While I agree the culprit should have to pay, the average "Joe" cannot afford to annie up 4 to 5000 dollars for a plane. The best solution to this would be for everyone to follow the rules in the first place, however, accidents do happen sometimes. I believe if i had that much $$$ wrapped up into an airplane, then $$ would be no object to me in the first place. And I would be the one to make darn sure I was "safe" while I was flying it.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Wildstyle

And I would be the one to make darn sure I was "safe" while I was flying it.

Who are you referring to "the pilot that gets shot down" or "the guy that turns on his radio with out the peg"

because the pilot that gets shot down while flying has no way of stopping the situation.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:30 PM
twistr

because the pilot that gets shot down while flying has no way of stopping the situation.
I understand this, and that's why I believe the person who turns on their TX is at fault. I was simply stating that if I had that much money tied up in an airplane, Either (1) money would be no issue for me because I had that kind of cash to blow on planes, or (2) I would fly it where i knew I wouldn't take a hit or be "shot down", or (3) I would just look at it and not fly it at all. Knowing that anything could happen, TX failure, RX failure, interference, mid-air, wind sheer, servo failure, (the list goes on and on) You have to be prepared to loose every plane that you put in the air in this hobby. I know if I approached a field and had my TX charging on the field charger on the way there, and unplugged it while pulling up and "accidentally" turned it on and caused one of your jet's to go down, I would not have the $5000 to $8000 to replace it. I would also drive off with my truck.

even more extreme circumstances will follow
Or maybe you would just have to revert to whatever you were referring to here??
Old 10-10-2004, 07:05 PM
higheronnitro

Conrod
We had the same thing happen in our club, even with a pegboard some twit is always going to forget no matter what rules warnings etc. Our club now has a members list with everyones frequency on it. There are NO double ups and every new member is given the list and told to buy gear on a different frequency. We still use the frequency board ( to ensure we keep a routine for visits to other clubs, Visitors etc ) but it is always nice to know that you can concentrate on flying rather than what others are doing in the pits.
Being in NZ there is no reason you should not be able to buy a set of crystals on a different frequency and chance them out. I specifically picked a set that has limited numbers of users in NZ. NZMAA have just completed a frequency usage table, use it to your advantage.
Its not going to bring back this plane but may prevent/slow the loosing of another.
Best Regards Steve
Old 10-10-2004, 10:18 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: twistr
Either (1) money would be no issue for me because I had that kind of cash to blow on planes, or (2) I would fly it where i knew I wouldn't take a hit or be "shot down", or (3) I would just look at it and not fly it at all. Knowing that anything could happen, TX failure, RX failure, interference, mid-air, wind sheer, servo failure, (the list goes on and on) You have to be prepared to loose every plane that you put in the air in this hobby. I know if I approached a field and had my TX charging on the field charger on the way there, and unplugged it while pulling up and "accidentally" turned it on and caused one of your jet's to go down, I would not have the $5000 to $8000 to replace it. I would also drive off with my truck.
even more extreme circumstances will follow
Or maybe you would just have to revert to whatever you were referring to here??
twistr,
I would like to know which planet you live on. Your handle here fits you well, you are twisted, dude. I fly a 40% plane, probably have $7,500.00 in it, if shot down and only airframe needed replacing, it would cost $2,550.00. Money is an issue to me, I would not want to have to replace it, if it was clearly somebody elses fault, - Where can I fly, and know that I won't take a hit, please tell me. I live in Los Angeles, there is no land for sale that would make it safe from getting shot down, and I can''t afford the land if there was, -Yes, I just look at it, doh. If somebody goes to a field and shoots somebody down, be prepared to pay, otherwise, if you can't follow simple procedure, don't go to the field.

My friend got shot down last Saturday, and when we confronted the party at fault, who I thought was a friend, he got agressive defensive so fast and sudden, we just walked away, to avoid possible fist fights. Despite there being witnesses in the pits, who could testify, that he had been running the plane on the same channel in the pits, while my friend was flying his, he would not fess up and admit full guilt. My friends flag was on the frequency board, the other persons flag was in the "down" position. My friend lost a $350.00 ARF, and the guilty party didn't pay a dime. It was a huge eye opener to me, and this former friend can expect absolutely no socializing with me from now on.
DKjens
Old 10-10-2004, 10:37 PM
twistr

I would like to know which planet you live on
Mars of course (women are from Venus)

I fly a 40% plane, probably have $7,500.00 in it, if shot down and only airframe needed replacing, it would cost $2,550.00 -and I can''t afford the land if there was
You can't afford the land because you are spending too much $$$ on airplanes!

My friend lost a $350.00 ARF, and the guilty party didn't pay a dime
This is ashamed. A true friend would at least talk through it with the pilot and offer something.

My point to this entire thread is that most average folks (like me) cannot afford to pay someone thousands of $$$ for an accident. I do believe in accountability, and think that the person causing the damage should try and do everything they can to make immense.

Oh and as for my handle... you don't know the half of it!!! [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 10-11-2004, 02:15 AM
Muxje

Our club now has a members list with everyones frequency on it. There are NO double ups and every new member is given the list and told to buy gear on a different frequency.
Unfortunately there's only so many frequencies [] Even in a small club like the one I'm in, you sometimes have to share the pin (not often though). Steve, perhaps your club could set aside a few channels for the jet pilots?
Old 10-12-2004, 01:47 PM
MikeMc

ORIGINAL: Steve S

Well here is my take on the subject.I own 5 jets(1 ducted fan & 4 turbine) With that in mind I have over $25,000 in jets.We have a strictly controled Frequency board at my flying site along with a few guys(we call them field marshalls) whom closely watch that everyone correctly uses the system & safety guidelines.Still you get a Bozo every now and then who comes out to the field ,doesn't think before turning on or better yet is new at our field & doesnt bother to talk to anyone to find out proper protocall

Most RCer's in proper ethics will own up to his mistake or lack of thinking and pay for a loss that he caused.So far at my field that has always been the case.But in these cases we are talking about a payout of a couple hundred bucks on average-not much money .Well enter my jets in which case we are talking approx. $4000-$8000 each .We(just 6 guys fly jets here) very closely monitor activity to protect against our investments.If some Bozo turns on and causes a loss of one of my jets then gives me some crap about how he cant afford to pay for my jet thereafter there's gonna be a big problem.He will then just go home without his car/truck or even more extreme circumstances will follow

Steve
God I love you guys with expensive planes. That pretty much goes for any sport where super ex*****ive and super cheap meet. The money guy's rightousness and justification in their hobby is so entertaining. Hey Mr. Moneybags, you know there's going to be new guys there and you know the system isn't perfect so do you think it's wise for you to even fly. It's not "if" it's "when" and I love how you've already got a plan to have somebody else buy you a new plane.

Hint: Your bullying only works on the young, new guys. Us old poor guys don't put up with your crap.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:58 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: DKjens

[ It was a huge eye opener to me, and this former friend can expect absolutely no socializing with me from now on.
DKjens

Socialize did you say? I think the only socializing I would even consider with that character is with the business end of a lead pipe. (aka the butler did it). ummmm... an eye for.. never mind.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:11 PM
superflea

hmmm so correct me where i go wrong here. you are saying that i can only fly my hypothetical 30.00 spad IF and onlyIF i can afford your 8k jet???

better sollution, no jets/ducted fans/giant scale or top gun trophy winners allowed. oh wait a minute here that pretty well takes care of the hobby though doesnt it. after all we cant have seperate flying sites for every taste. so hows bout this we all agree to pay what we can in this event BUT we all understand that we all accept the risks involved meaning if you shoot me down and dont have the cash i should be willing to accept a plane from your hangar if thats out of the question then i can accept that too after all i could have stayed home.

the worst thing you could possibly do to me would be to sue me, the best would be to trash my car or get in to a fist fight with me cause then i own you
Old 10-12-2004, 09:26 PM
twistr

Superflea:

LOL: I'm with you! Notice that Steve who made the original post about his expensive jets has not responded to any of our opinions. (Which is fine really) Maybe he's too busy waxing his airplane propellors![sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 10-12-2004, 09:37 PM
MikeMc

Don't worry, he'll reply to us low lifes and there'll be some quote of how much everything cost and how we're ruining the hobby for him.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:24 AM
P-40LUVR

I would feel guilty if I DIDN'T pay for a plane that I shot down,even if it was an accident and forgot to ask what frequencys are being used!
I figure it's just like backing into a car in a parking lot and doing damage to the other car and just taking off not leaving a note to offer to pay,whether it be a clunker I owe 100.00 to fix or a corvette that did 5000.00 in damage,you caused the accident YOU pay!
You just learn to be more careful and SORRY is used WAY to loosely in this society and doesn't make things right!
Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:41 PM
BillS

There is plenty of technology to prevent any of us from ever being shot down. Everyone including AMA should be insisting that the manufacturers use the technology to make modeling safer for people and airplanes.

Bill
Old 10-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Nebbie

whether it be a clunker I owe 100.00 to fix or a corvette that did 5000.00 in damage,you caused the accident YOU pay!
Really that is not a good analogy. Because you have auto insurance, if you cannot afford to pay the damage out of pocket, the insurance claim pays up. You make the decision on whether to pay out of pocket or go the insurance route.

Maybe in that last paragraph is the answer to the expensive planes shot down question. If you have that much money tied up in one plane, you should insure it against damage. Where you would get that insurance I do not have any idea. But I know that if I accidently shot your expensive plane down, I would not be able to pay you to replace it. You could try and take my van, but my company would have you arrested for stealing their property (I drive a company vehicle). So that would leave you with bodily injury, which would cost you more than you have in your precious plane by the time my lawyer got finished with you.

Now I am usually a level headed person. If I shot down someone, I would try to make it right with them. It is very easy to turn on a transmitter without really thinking about it. I like what I am hearing about the transmitters that actually scan the channel before transmitting. When prices come down, and my business picks up, I will be getting one of them.

The only thing I have a problem with is people that think that since they invest so much more into this hobby than I could possibly afford, that if an accident happens they get to bankrupt me or worse. That kind of attitude needs a serious adjustment! What makes someone think that they have that right? I can understand a $350 plane, even though I could not afford to replace one of them, I would do that. But thousands of dollars? This is a hobby! A hobby is something that you do with your extra money. In this hobby, there are many things that could happen that would cause you to lose your plane that have nothing to do with being shot down. What if you flameout on takeoff? What if you have mechanical failure? If something like that happens, would you be looking for someone to replace your plane?
Old 10-18-2004, 10:56 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You guys are a little behind the times.

Of course insurance is the answer...the SHOOTER's insurance, not the plane owner.

The 8000 jet guy just sues you and your homeowners will have to pay, under the general liability type clause. If you do not have insurance you get a judgement.

I know of 2 cases just like this in LA, both very cut and dried, in one case insurance paid, in another a judgement getting paied at like 200 a month for the next million years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.