Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

....and there she sits.

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

....and there she sits.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 07:08 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ....and there she sits.

Good luck Iflyslow!!!! We're all rooting for ya!
Old 12-10-2004, 07:28 AM
scottfl78

If the ladder doesn't work then maybe you all need a club pet... Tower is selling these..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48523.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	201319  
Old 12-10-2004, 10:15 AM
a_bubas_sign

Hey I know some guys that resemble that picture at my field.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:38 AM
IFlySlowPlanes

After Action Report, December 10, 2004:

6am: Up and at 'em boys! SAR Team One is back on the case. With new equipment and incurable optimism....SAR Team One hits the snooze alarm. Twice.

6:12am: SAR Team One remembers BasinBum's exhortation to get his ***** out of bed, and deciding that anything's better than losing the respect of his peers, SAR Team One grumpily gets out of bed and begins to dress. Where SAR Team One is going, showers are not an issue.

6:30am: SAR Team One musters to go over P.O.D. (Plan Of the Day). Checklist complete, and with a belly full of coffee, He checks outside one last time. The weather remains dank, gray, and dreary in the burgeoning dawn, but he is committed now....or should be committed.

7am: Realizing he's dragging his feet to avoid the inevitable, SAR Team One proceeds to the Vehicle Extraction....ummmm....Vehicle (VEV). A light drizzle greets him as he locks the barracks door behind him. Cursing his fate, SAR Team One strikes out on Mission #3...the quest to save an airplane.

8am: SAR Team One arrives at the field, collects section A of the Airplane Retrieval System, and parks the VEV as close as possible to the stranded aircraft, still firmly wedged 40 feet up.

8:10am: Begin assembly of "tree snake" contraption, an erector set-like thing that Q might have designed on an off day. Four 4-foot long sections , each with a bolted-on brace (which, along with the provided straps, prevents the tree snake from moving). Assembly goes surprisingly well, most likely because SAR Team One reads the directions...for once.

8:20am: Leaning the Airplane Retrieval System against the tree, SAR Team One begins to climb the now-16-foot ladder. Despite appearances, the tree snake is quite stable and reassuring. Unfortunately, even when on the topmost step, the Airplane Retrieval System is not long enough to reach the target. SAR team One descends tree snake and decides to go get the second section of the Airplane Retrieval System.

8:27am: SAR Team One realizes too late that VEV is not adequate to the task of extracting itself from the mud in which it was parked.

8:45am: After much cursing, prayer, and not-so-silent supplication, SAR Team One finally makes it back to the gravel driveway on which he should have parked in the first place. Behind him, a series of looping, deep tracks (donuts if you will) are mute testimony to the terror-filled moments spent trying to extract the VEV from the tractionless trail. SAR Team One pauses to silently reflect on how close he came to plunging over the edge of the hill, which would surely have been curtains for the VEV, not to mention SAR Team One's heretofore barely sullied reputation.

8:50am: Having obtained section B of the Airplane Retrieval System, SAR Team One parks the VEV....safely on the gravel this time....and returns to the tree in which his now-soaked airplane rests quietly.

8:53am: SAR Team One assembles Airplane Retrieval System and leans it against the tree before shimmying back up the tree snake. By now, SAR Team One is soaking wet himself, covered in moss from hugging the tree for dear life, yet still oddly confident of his ultimate success. After all, did SAR teams in Viet Nam allow the Cong to stop them when a pilot needed rescuing? Hell no! And in that spirit, SAR Team One makes what he is certain will be the deciding ascent.

9:15am: Despite a 16 foot ladder, 20 feet of ARS, and his own indomitable will, SAR Team One admits defeat. The Airplane Retrieval System is just barely long enough to reach part of the airplane. SAR Team One could poke her, prod her, and curse repeatedly at her, but all to no avail. Her tail is so firmly wedged in the top branches of the tree, none of SAR Team One's efforts are sufficient. Letting the ARS slip to the ground, we try one last ploy....shaking the tree as violently as we can. All we manage to do is wedge her in deeper. SAR Team One descends the ladder once again, disassembling it as he goes. Perhaps one day, it will serve it's purpose for another unfortunate soul. But today, the tree is the victor....again.

9:25am: As SAR Team One lugs gear back to Vehicle Extraction Vehicle, he is sure he hears muffled, mocking laughter from the direction of the trees. He turns, but no-one is there. Shaking his head, slumped in defeat, now SAR Team One must go to work....how will he explain his bedraggled condition and extreme lateness?

SAR Team One decides he'll figure it out when he gets there.

(photo's to follow)
Old 12-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Throttle

I had to make three 23 mile trips one way to finely retrieve a spad of mine from a tree. I feel your sadness. Continue to be safe and don't give up.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:41 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

scottfl78: define "older

ORIGINAL: scottfl78

Exactly... I understand that the pilot is older..
Old 12-10-2004, 01:43 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

define "older"....I'm 42....no spring chicken, granted, but hardly over the hill!

ORIGINAL: scottfl78

Exactly... I understand that the pilot is older.. Get a young buck to climb the tree with a pocket full of nails and a hammer.. Leave the nails for the next guy..
Old 12-10-2004, 01:52 PM
cwrr5

ROTFLMAO!!!! Iflyslowplanes - you should submit this as an article to one of tha magazines!!!! Great stuff!! (dang, your hard-headed! )

Keep trying, you'll get it!

What's the Tower catalog number for the "helper monkey"? I want one!!!!

Edit: Come to think of it, I might have one of those around the house somewhere.... he calls me "daddy".....
Old 12-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Man, that story is hilarious and sad all at the same time! I had a plane stuck in a tree once too.... Not fun.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:55 PM
FlyI Bus Driver
My Feedback: (8)

Man I'm laughing my tail off at this (sorry ). You really should be a writer. That's some seriously funny stuff!

My buddy lost a plane in a tree this summer. We just let nature take its course and about a week later it fell out unscathed.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Dukester
My Feedback: (31)

I was able to find the helper monkey on Tower, but the only one in stock was a positive shift JR monkey and I only fly Futaba [&o].

This is really a great read, livens up an otherwise disgustingly busy Friday.

Duke
Old 12-10-2004, 08:31 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

Photo documentation of SAR Attempt #3

1: the "tree snake"....pretty handy actually
2: the muddy aftermath of my near-death experience...mere inches separated SAR Team One from the sharp drop-off out of shot to the left in the foreground. Only his expert driving skills (honed through years of "borrowing" Dad's car as a teenager to go on "turfing" expeditions) saved the day.
3: VEV bears the temporary evidence of its muddy excursion
4: the battle-scarred, wet, and dirty SAR Team One

Name:	Wu59450.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	201456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38546.jpg
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	201457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41101.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	201458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51440.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	201459  
Old 12-10-2004, 08:45 PM
egor

Iflyslowplanes:

Ahhhhhhhhhh Success is mine!!!!!!!!! This my good man was the intent of my first reply. I knew buried just below your brusied, dissappointed, and discouraged pilots hide jabbing you in the backside like a raspberry thorn, Was that determined WILL, built on courage, determination, and muck running (not to be confused with running amuck ) fool hardiness of a succesful R C ER. That attitude of yeah that's my plane up thar. No I didn't crash it I put thar on purpose jest cause I could. Now you watch me I'm gonna get it back an it's gonna fly again cause it's mine, and cause I can. Fellow reader's on yer feet Stand at attention Young man we Salute you and your efforts. Jest becarful now it hurts alot to move your fingers on the sticks when yer arm is in a cast.

Hmmmmmm only 42 hmmmm he was whininin like an old fart.

oh that's me

egor
Old 12-10-2004, 10:27 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

Don't get so excited. Despite three successive full-scale efforts, the plane still sits where I planted her. Tomorrow will be SAR attempt #4.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:04 AM
johnboyrc

When my brother and I were younger we use to experiment with reloading shotgun shells. Some we loaded with wads of cloth or paper among other things instead of lead shot. Need to have something with enough weight to carry a distance and still have force yet not destroy the plane, could work. This could be bad though, I could find shooting planes rather fun(might even go for flying ones -is that a true warbird???).
Old 12-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Pjtg0707

Was that Plan D?

I can't wait for Plan E!
Old 12-11-2004, 01:17 PM
cwrr5

ORIGINAL: johnboyrc

When my brother and I were younger we use to experiment with reloading shotgun shells. Some we loaded with wads of cloth or paper among other things instead of lead shot. Need to have something with enough weight to carry a distance and still have force yet not destroy the plane, could work. This could be bad though, I could find shooting planes rather fun(might even go for flying ones -is that a true warbird???).
We have some of those(planes) at work. Only problem is the ones that shoot back at you.
<====== [8D]

Anxiously awaiting after-action report from SAR Team One.... Will conduct full debriefing by comittee on arrival, focusing on positive feedback and continuing to show utmost support.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:52 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(this plane has been apart more times than brittney spears' knees)
I have been laughing all week about how often the plane has been apart. Thanks. I have a few airplanes that fit the profile.

We had a member about ten years ago that cut a large limb into with a rifle. I think he had a scope and didn’t fire but 10 rounds. Limb plane and all fell together relatively undamaged.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:15 PM
bobo_54501
My Feedback: (19)

How about a Spud Gun ??? A 2 pound Tater should bring that puppy down ...I love this post and hope you get her ..But take your time this is some funny stuff . Its been a real boring winter here so far .
Old 12-11-2004, 11:40 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

After Action Report, December 11, 2004: Final Disposition

6:30am: Alarm clock doesn't go off for the first time all week. SAR Team One rests peacefully, with visions of a successful SAR Op today....but only after he's well and truly darn good and ready.

9:30am: Cat plants butt on SAR Team One's face, signalling the end of rest period. Weather outside....frightful. Dark, gray, rainclouds looming in the west. Better get cracking!

10:30: Showered, shaved, and full of renewed vigor, SAR Team One sets forth on what is sure to be the final rescue attempt. First stop, sporting goods store.

10:45am: SAR Team One unsuccessfully attempts to negotiate a further discount on tree snake extension, but grudgingly buys it anyway. Christmas-schmistmas.

11:15am: SAR Team One arrives at club field. Is pleased to see that there are Sandy's circling the wreckage, despite the iffy weather. These are truly hardy souls, and they seem not to be bothered by the impending downpour.

12noon: SAR Team One consults with SAR Team Two, who are TDY for this mission, despite having received a weekend pass from their commanders....I mean....wives. A plan of action is agreed upon. Plan of action consists of SAR Team One making ascent up newly extended tree snake while SAR Team Two waits on the ground to offer encouragement, (or mockery where necessary).

12:15pm: Tree snake is half-assembled when the inevitable happens....torrential rains once again crash down upon the hapless rescue teams. Most of SAR Team Two frantically runs back to flight line to remove radios and planes from flight line to suitably dry locale (club kitchen). SAR Team One, and the lone remaining member of SAR Team Two hastily beat a retreat to SAR Team Two's truck (which, by the way, is much better suited to the terrain that nearly stranded the VEV yesterday).

12:20pm: SAR Teams One and Two reconvene under the club picnic pavilion and decide to ride out the storm there. SAR Teams One and Two use time wisely by discussing the finer points of electric motors, Li-Po's, and computer radio mixes.

12:45pm: Rain finally abates enough for SAR Teams One and Two to break camp and reassemble at Bullseye. Tree snake assembly continues, with SAR Team Two offering advice where necessary. Becomes apparent that SAR Team One will at least have help removing his lifeless, broken body if worst come to worst. SAR Team One wisely puts that thought out of his mind for the time being.

1pm: Tree snake assembly complete. SAR Team One ascends to his destiny....or his doom. SAR Team Two feeds Airplane Retrieval System to SAR Team One. Tree snake is still surprisingly solid and reassuring, but SAR Team One holds on to tree trunk for dear life anyway, having a clear mental picture of consequences if he doesn't.

1:02pm: Poking commences. At first tentatively, and then with increasing enthusiasm. The foam pad on the end of the ARS is sliding against the wet, slick covering of the airplane, but progress is made. First the tail comes loose from it's crook in the branches above. Continued poking and prodding causes the plane to shift, tantalizingly close to breaking free of it's prison. And then....disaster. The padded end of the Airplane Retrieval System breaks through the wing near the root. SAR Team One is reminded briefly of Darryl Greenamyer and the B-29 that never made it home from Greenland because it burned to a crisp during an engine runup. SAR Team One banishes this thought from his mind. "The plane is toast no matter what I do now....let's just get the job done and go home to our warm fireplace and a stiff brandy."

1:04pm: After a brief respite (still on the ladder mind you) to recover his strength, SAR Team One makes the final push. Each prod or poke of the ARS begins to have serious effect....first she comes down from the branches she was stuck in, but only a few feet lower....then he hits her just right and she pivots so she's pointed straight down, barely supported by some thinner branches....."Look out down there! She's about to fall!"...and finally, with one last shove, she breaks free. She falls straight down, nose first, and hits the ground with a *bang*, but amazingly, despite all the abuse, the airplane remains essentially intact! The wing doesn't shift, the prop and spinner are unaffected, nothing major breaks off, and it actually looks (from his lofty perch mind you) like this plane may one day fly again. SAR Team One lets out a victorious war whoop that echoes through the surrounding hills.

1:10pm: SAR Team One begins the final descent, unstrapping the tree snake braces as he goes. This simple hunter's tool has served a far more noble purpose than that for which she was designed, and SAR Team One is grateful to it's designers. Even when he gets his first closeup look at his plane in a week, and discovers that the wooden structure is hopelessly waterlogged, SAR Team One is satisfied with a job well done. SAR Team Two looks on in admiration (or was it amusement?) as SAR Team One breathlessly thanks them for their help. The airplane may not have survived, but her soul (servos, reciever, etc.) will live on in another plane one day.

1:15pm: Together, the teams lug the ladder, the plane, and the Airplane Retrieval System to the SAR Team Two truck for the triumphal return to their base camp (clubhouse). Photo's are taken, congratulations offered all around, and SAR Team Two disperses to their home bases.

With a lone pilot flying his foamie on the field behind him, SAR Team One begins remove the wing for the long ride home. He contemplates the adventures of the week past, and begins to plot his next project. Perhaps another Mach II....or maybe something a little different. Winter lies ahead, and the endless possibilities already have him envisioning a new season of building, flying, and associating with the great people in this awesome hobby. Yes....SAR Team One is well and truly addicted.

The End....or is it?

Pic 1: SAR Team One....victorious at last! Note tree snake section, airplane, and Airplane Retrieval System all included in shot.
Pics 2-4: The aftermath

PS - Thanks to all on RCU who offered advice, encouragement, and shared experiences throughout this saga. It kept me going....it really did.

Name:	Jh14620.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	201891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65686.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	201892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59149.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	201893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87781.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	201894  
Old 12-11-2004, 11:54 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Dry the engine and oil the crap out of it. Pull the plug and oil in there as well. Dry off the electronics and disconect the battery asap. Take the case off and use a blow dryer on the reciever.

It should all live to fly again.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:43 AM
SBR_RV

just read the whole thread, wow i would send it into a RC magazine, great story.
now the cause of all this, the motor, how did it stop.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:27 AM
IFlySlowPlanes

Not sure why the motor stopped. At first I thought I ran it out of fuel, but when it fell to the ground and John (leading member of SAR Team Two) picked it up, it leaked fuel all over him through the carb. Fuel tank and lines are intact and undamaged. My guess....it was on it's second flight of the day after a long time in storage. I had her running rich of peak, but just. Guessing as it warmed up and settled in, it needed a little more fine tuning. I'll never know for sure. The plane was responding all the way to impact.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:12 AM
cwrr5

Way to go!!!! Knew you would get it back(eventually)! CONGRATULATIONS SAR TEAM ONE(and two)!!!!

I (hesitantly) would say that's flyable again.... after thouroghly drying out and what looks like some minor repairs. I'm curious to find out what the cause of the engine out was, if found.

Again, good job, and GREAT post!!!!
Old 12-12-2004, 05:16 PM
FlyI Bus Driver
My Feedback: (8)

Funniest thread in my very short tenure on this site.

You should sent this in to FRC or MAN or the such...![sm=lol.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.