Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

....and there she sits.

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

....and there she sits.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 06:31 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ....and there she sits.

What oil would you suggest? Is after run oil better than 3-in-1 or motor oil?
Old 12-12-2004, 07:03 PM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry, Ive seen a 2" PVC rig 30 feet long work! its sorta wobbly, but proppin the first and second pieces up in the tree and then adding the third usually gets it telescoped up there. Keep it up, I got a feelin your very close to victory. Oh, and btw, be very careful chargin the battery out of this crash, its probably below its min safe level, and you may have a cell reverse polarity.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:39 PM
egor

well glad you got it down and your in one piece. It's still a good looking plane, Pull the engine off pull the bat., and electronics stick her in the corner for a week and let her dry out. Pull the plug from the engine and turn it over by hand get all the liquid out, pull the back plate off and oil that puppy real good. use marverl miracle oil, air tool oil, or atf any of them will work, believe 3-1 oil has some type of additive can't remember what. in a week or so pull some of the covering back and do another inspection the damage may not be as bad as it appears.

egor
Old 12-13-2004, 02:56 AM
bobo_54501
My Feedback: (19)

It was an old OS FP 40 thats why it died . Thats the most over rated engine I think .Everyone I ever had always wanted to dead stick Except for the 1 time the throttle linkage came lose when it was Wide Open .It ran forever then . Just my oppion of course ...This has been a Funny post . Im glad you got her back and thanks for the laughts on a snowy Wisconsin week . And please dont Jump on me for the FP comment . Just venting flustrations from hours of tinkering with these and a few busted planes .Ive seen guys swear by them maybe they just didnt like me !!!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:10 AM
Throttle

That's the way to persevere IFlySlowPlanes. May you have a Merry Christmas and many happy hours flying.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:30 AM
robbieshonda
My Feedback: (1)

HAHA that happened where I flew in Kansas city. But they tried using a .22 to shoot the branches around it then BOOM! Ole man broke out his shotgun and took the bird out of the tree.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:24 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

bobo,

I understand your frustration. The .40LA that was originally in this plane was exactly as difficult as you say. I had high hopes for this engine though. It had served me well in my first trainer (which only died because I got over-confident and crashed it into a sign....the only one in the vast parking lot in which I was flying, but boy did I nail that thing!). Glad I could make ya laugh a little anyway with the story!

Dave

ORIGINAL: bobo_54501

It was an old OS FP 40 thats why it died . Thats the most over rated engine I think .Everyone I ever had always wanted to dead stick Except for the 1 time the throttle linkage came lose when it was Wide Open .It ran forever then . Just my oppion of course ...This has been a Funny post . Im glad you got her back and thanks for the laughts on a snowy Wisconsin week . And please dont Jump on me for the FP comment . Just venting flustrations from hours of tinkering with these and a few busted planes .Ive seen guys swear by them maybe they just didnt like me !!!
Old 12-13-2004, 02:28 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

ORIGINAL: Throttle

That's the way to persevere IFlySlowPlanes. May you have a Merry Christmas and many happy hours flying.
throttle,

Yeah, pig-headedness is a family trait...I get it honestly. No matter how silly the idea is, once I get it in my head, I won't stop until I figure it out.

Thanks for the holiday wishes...right back atcha! And the same goes for everyone here on RCU. Hope your Christmas tree has lots of new planes and other r/c toys underneath it this year!

Dave
Old 12-13-2004, 10:22 PM
multicasting

Dave,

I have been following your 'column' for the past week. Great Job! I must say that I admire your perseverance. Best wishes on the Holidays, and perhaps Santa, or you, will bring you a new toy to take to the skys!

Bob
Old 12-14-2004, 01:59 AM
Pilotsmoe

I say go back late at night and cut the tree down with a chainsaw. The plane is a writeoff anyway. Atleast you yould have the engine, and the rx gear.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:18 AM
IFlySlowPlanes

SOMEbody didn't read the whole thread.....tsk tsk.....

ORIGINAL: Pilotsmoe

I say go back late at night and cut the tree down with a chainsaw. The plane is a writeoff anyway. Atleast you yould have the engine, and the rx gear.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:30 AM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Excellent Story!!! Has to be the best I've read here on RCU. I too greatly admire your perseverence. Hope the electrics and engine come out OK for you. Happy Holidays!
Joe
Old 12-14-2004, 02:40 PM
jbdismukes

That last pic explains it! IFlySlowPlanes is really Charlie Brown!!
Old 12-14-2004, 08:03 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

DustOffUH1:

Well, a few days have passed, and the plane has been hanging in the heater room/shop since it was rescued. My initial fears about the damp wood structure appear to have been needless. The covering took a beating, but that's to be expected. I'm looking at this as an opportunity to re-cover the plane, an art form I've never bothered to learn before now. I'll probably also have to replace a rib or two and maybe a little planking, but i think I can manage that. Maybe it'll give me a chance to make the plane more attractive (something like the MachIII thread elsewhere on RCU). The rx and servos seem to have survived unscathed as well. As nice as the airplane flew, and as much trouble as I went through to get it back, it would be a shame for it NOT to fly again! On the other hand, there was one unintended consequence of the story....I made the mistake of telling my boss about it. He looked up this thread and gave me the following speech today: "You know Dave, as much effort as you put into getting that toy plane of yours out of the trees, you should have no problem selling that package to that customer!" Why do I feel like I'm in a Dilbert cartoon all of a sudden?

jbdismukes:

Dude......Charlie Brown? I have a full head of hair under that hat ya know! All gray, but also all mine! OK, so I sucked at Little League as a kid.....and there WAS this little redheaded girl......hmmmm.....
Old 12-14-2004, 08:39 PM
DustOffUH1

LMAO! Sounds like something my boss would say. Glad to hear its drying out nicely. Hey, after all that trouble why not Covering isn't as bad as people make it out to be. In fact I like covering planes. Check out my gallery. That Cub is the first plane I covered, and made my own decals I used Ultracote, not monocote. I did practice with monocote seems harder to use than the ultracote. Just my beginner opinion though. The only other plane I officialy covered was my Dare Wright Flyer, with paper & dope, and that didn't seem difficult either. Anyway, glad things are turning out well for you. You deserve it after all that work!
I didn't get the Charlie Brown comment either.
Again I have to say a most entertaining story. Fly RC or MAN should publish it as said b4.
Take care.
Joe
Old 12-16-2004, 09:00 AM
a_bubas_sign

If I remember correctly the trees loved to eat Charlie Browns kites. As I recall he lost quite a few of them to the trees.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:54 PM
bobo_54501

For what its worth ....If it was my plane ild strip all of the covering off and that canopy . Then do her up in red barron type colors with malteses crosses and all like a W1 type plane . Then get a little German guy with a spiked helmet and a Machine gun on the top instead of the canopy . Then the next time your coming in to low take the machine gun and trim the tops of the trees before you get to them ..L.O.L....Ultra Cote makes MY covering jobs look ok . I had trouble always with the Mono Cote .Some guys prefer it thow . Ultra Cote just seems to go around corners so much better . Ild have the wife get you a Super Tigre or a better OS for X Mas to . Take Care ...Have Fun ...
Old 12-19-2004, 06:39 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neglected to mention the bucket truck. On two occasions a rope needed threading through the pulley at the top of a flagpole. Don’t ask why.

The man with the bucket truck charged $35, which would seem reasonable to retrieve an airplane. Heck $35 damage might be done if the airplane simply fell out of the tree.

Glad the airplane is again sleeping at home.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:12 AM
IFlySlowPlanes

Got a nice Christmas bonus at work on Friday, so guess what I'm doing with it?

Gonna get me a VectorFlight Edge 540 (after the Christmas rush), a flight pack for it, and maybe even one of them thar AeroFly Pro Deluxe sim-you-layters, and maybe a park flier of some sort to keep me occupied on those days I don't feel like making the drive to the club field. Already bought some more Monokote to re-cover the Mach II (yellow top of wings and transparent blue underneath). Nice thing about the Mach II is that it's lines are simple. No compound corners to worry about anywhere. I'm guessing Monokote will be easy enough to use on this repair. Might even make the plane a tad lighter since the "Toughlon" covering used my World Models seemed a little on the heavy side.

I figure I need the sim to practice this winter, and I also figure I'm hopelessly addicted to this hobby because I'm sure there are a hundred more opractical ways to spend that money! Oh well, there's a tax refund coming in '05....maybe I'll act all repsonsible-ish then.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:04 PM
BasinBum

I wonder if there is a tree climbing simulator out there?
Old 12-19-2004, 01:38 PM
bobo_54501

Tree Sim ?? Maybe find an old Donkey Kong Game .
Old 12-19-2004, 02:28 PM
razerbaz

GUYS just call an aborist they will get a model down with no damage and wont charge much.Then you dont have to risk life and limb.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:06 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IFLYSLOWPLANES,

I have read this thread from the beginning and it was very funny. You are as hardhead as I am once you put you mind to getting something done.

I just received my VF Edge 540 and got it up this weekend and she's a beauty. I had the VF 66 inch Extra until I rolled level going from downwind to base and just clipped the top of a tree about a hundered yards out. It was weird watching the plane hit and exploding (except for the wings) and then about a second later the sound getting to where I was standing.

Nothing got stuck in the tree but the plane was a total loss.

Anyway, VF makes great planes, BUT the manuals leave a lot to be desired. VF has great customer service and if you ask them, they will send you a word document of the manual for the plane you are interested in before you buy it so you can see what it takes to build the thing. Also, all the planes are built up foam and balsa sheeting and the wings are so strong and efficient the elevators are very touchy and much over 3/8 inch travel will cause them to snap.

There are huge threads all over RCU on VectorFlight. At the sale price and even the normal price they are a bargain. I own a CG Ultimate, CG Sukhoi, VF Edge 540, Funtana90, GP Saucy Extra 300S and a few others and I find the Funtana and the Vectorflight to be my favorites with the 2 CG planes following a very close second