Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Safety 1st, Don't be a bonehead like me!!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Safety 1st, Don't be a bonehead like me!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Rob 750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety 1st, Don't be a bonehead like me!!

I hear stories of people getting hurt or causing accidents and always think it will not happen to me because I am careful about what I do when I'm flying. Well, I recently took my 3 year old golden retriever flying with me(like hundreds of times before) and ended up at the vet's emergency room. She had started chasing my plane recently when I took off and I let her do it since she never got too close to it, well this time she cut in front of it and got her thigh sliced open to the bone. I can handle a truck seat full of blood and paying $350 to the vet but having to see her hurt (with 9 stitches) and knowing that I could have prevented it is the worst. I was only flying a somethin extra with a .46 engine but it had no problem causing some serious damage that could have been much worse. I am ashamed and embarassed to even post this story but if it makes someone think twice about having a pet loose or people wandering around when they are flying it is worth it. My dog is doing OK, she is getting around fine and healing nicely...Please, be careful out there--
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53331.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	335214  
Old 10-06-2005, 10:19 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Safety 1st, Don't be a bonehead like me!!

sorry for that to happen, that is almost worse then putting your own hand in the prop.

I've had people come up to me with dogs and think it is fun to have their dog running around on the field, most of them actually want me to come down and chase their dog, thinking the spinning meat cleaver is going to be fun! I always end up just praying that I won't have to deadstick, not onlyfor the fact that I may end up hitting the pet, but also that they will destroy the plane after it comes down.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:30 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good looking dog. Glad to hear she is going to be O.K.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:26 AM
althepal

Seen it before...with much more dramatic results...A visitor thatcame with a german shepperd, even on a leach...the poor dog went with his nose into the arc of a prop...the vet had no other option but to put the poor dog asleep...It was many years ago, and safety rules are more strict today, but this is a vision one can not easily forget...Hope your Golden Retriever recovers fast. Thanks for sharing this, hope it will prevent same mishaps to anyone in the future
All the best
Old 10-07-2005, 05:45 AM
Dr1Driver

Rob,

I'm sure gladyour baby is going to be ok. It could have been MUCH worse, as you know. Safety standards crop up everywhere, especially where you least expect. It has to be one of the thoughts foremost in our minds at all times. When my wife and 14 year old stepdaughter moved in with me, and we bought a dog, I posted these rules on the door of my shop:

No bare feet
No unaccompanied children
No animals
There are sharps, hazardous chemicals, dangerous equipment, and fragile construction projects in this shop. Do not touch anything without my presence and express permission.

We took our dog to a fly-in last weekend. He was staked either to the ground or the trailer hitch of the van, on a short lead. We set up the tent well away from any running engines.

Animals don't know from props and hot exhausts...they need our help to be safe. Other people need our help, too, and we need help from other people.

SAFETY FIRST!

Dr.1
Old 10-07-2005, 06:34 AM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since we are on the "Pets on the Field" subject..........if you are a dog owner, and you feel the need to bring "poochy" everywhere with you, including the flying field, and "poochy" is the kind of yappy, never shuts up, always barks when people walk by, ankle nipping, spoiled rotten little furball.......LEAVE THE THING AT HOME!!!!
There is nothing more annoying than a dog at the field that will not shut up!!! If I wanted barking dogs distracting, annoying and interrupting my "me time" or spolied kids that you can't smack around.......running around argueing over who get to use the gameboy.............I can stay home and hear that stuff!!!!!

I know I am not the only one.............just the only one brave enough to say it!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Rob 750

Yeah, we were at a private site flying with nobody around except us, I wouldn't take her to a regular field unless she was tied up away from the action. Yes, I would have rather stuck my hand in the prop than see her or someone else get hurt.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:48 AM
scrappycat

As Outa_ctrl will tell ya, i nearly ran straight into his pooch's face on landing. outa_ctrl ran up at the last minute and literally kicked the front edge of the wing, sinking his foot into it - I don't wanna think what might have happened. The dog was just sitting there, staring at the plane coming directly at it.

Pooch is fine, and the plane is still flying. No more dogs at this private field.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Thor84

sry to here about ur dog .... i myself dont mind dogs at the field if they r kept away from props and such .... as for the formentioned annoying kids .... they can just stay home
Old 12-18-2005, 09:34 PM
hooliganflyer

Dont know if this is the most appropriate thread to be posting on but I cant help it. Last weekend I went to my local field with a mate of mine and he took his heli, at the field sometimes there is a guy walking his sheep but he was well away, I did not fly my plane i took because of the sheep but my mate flew his heli close by, as he started flying the sheep in the distance started getting nervous but there seemed to be no other problem. when we finished for the day we realised that one of the sheep gave birth to to other little sheep because of the stress. Dont know if the guy was happy or angry
Old 12-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

Glad it's OK...

An old Git brings his dog to my club from time to time... He tells everyone that the Dog knows to stay away from the Airplanes...

Which is rubbish...

No one has told him to leave it at home so I told him personally that if he brings it and one of my Airplanes hurts it... ALL responsibility on my part is waived!

I'm not having a dig at you but small children, pets, and Airplanes should not come together in the same place ever!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 06:29 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

ORIGINAL: Lyle D

Since we are on the "Pets on the Field" subject..........if you are a dog owner, and you feel the need to bring "poochy" everywhere with you, including the flying field, and "poochy" is the kind of yappy, never shuts up, always barks when people walk by, ankle nipping, spoiled rotten little furball.......LEAVE THE THING AT HOME!!!!
There is nothing more annoying than a dog at the field that will not shut up!!! If I wanted barking dogs distracting, annoying and interrupting my "me time" or spolied kids that you can't smack around.......running around argueing over who get to use the gameboy.............I can stay home and hear that stuff!!!!!

I know I am not the only one.............just the only one brave enough to say it!!!!!!!
No... I agree too...
Old 12-19-2005, 08:57 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend was visiting me at the field one day last year. He had his big Bulldog, Bo, with him. Very friendly dog, and the dog was on a leash.

When I fired up the Tiger 60, the owner, Bob, didn't realize that the dog would go nuts. Well, at the same instant, he let the dog go so he could run around the field. We fly at a very large grass runway that the state Forestry Department uses as an alternate flying field for their water tankers, so it's a very big area and all flat, of course. Anyway, Bob thought he would just let the dog run and enjoy the open area. Well, the dog made a bee-line for my Tiger 60. I got the thing in the air well before he reached it, and told Bob that he HAD to leash the dog. As I said, he didn't realize that the dog would chase the plane, but it did.

I flew about 10 minutes, most of that time Bob was trying to catch the dog because the dog was following the aircraft as I was doing large orbits. He finally caught the dog and put it back on the leash, and was very sorry about the incident, although no damage was done.

I didn't think that Bob realized how dangerous that prop would be so I started the engine up and put a piece of newspaper into the rotating path of the prop and, of course, it shreadded it.

Bob now visits from time to time, but without Bo, or if he has Bo, it stays in the pick-up truck.

When I was flying in the UK a couple years ago, a friend had his daughter, 4 years old, with him. Well, typical 4 year old was not watching what she was doing and stepped on the wing if a very nice 40 size trainer. Completely ruined the wing because when she stepped on it, she fell backwards and landed right next to the fuselage on the inner part of the wing. The whole wing was destroyed.

Lucky the engine was not running because when she landed after the fall, her hand went right where the prop would be if rotating.

Kids, dogs, animals in general must be either stringently supervised or not allowed near the aircraft or in some instances, not at the field at all.

DS.