Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Mustang - Trainer - Video --Bad day at our field

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Mustang - Trainer - Video --Bad day at our field

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:00 AM
bugleboy
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang - Trainer - Video --Bad day at our field

It was a bad day at the field for us. Two crashes back-to-back, but at least I caught them on video.

World Models P51 Mustang (.60 size): Strong headwind made it jump off the ground twice as quick as expected. Throttle down, throttle up, torque roll, crunch, "how did that engine get there?"

[link=http://comp.uark.edu/~jasonc/images/video/mustang_crash.wmv]Mustang Crash[/link]

Trainer (.40 size): First solo flight, dead stick downwind, lost orientation, turned into the trees instead of toward the runway.

[link=http://comp.uark.edu/~jasonc/images/video/scott_crash1.wmv]Trainer Crash[/link]

Sniff, sniff - We go home, we rebuild, we fly again. (Or we buy again if the wife will let us!)

Old 12-19-2005, 11:16 AM
flybug

Default RE: Mustang - Trainer - Video --Bad day at our field

Ouch!! sorry bugleboy
Old 12-19-2005, 11:38 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Any explanation as to why these two went down? From the video, it looks like both were doing fine until pilot lost orientation. The mustang was flying great when it first took off. Any reason for the throttle down? The Nextar looked like it had plenty of glide room. Did the wind just take it on a deadstick?

Brad
Old 12-19-2005, 12:09 PM
bugleboy

The mustang was at about 1/2 the speed it really needed to fly well and cut the wind, but the wind and a slight gust made it jump off the runway at a very steep angle before he was expecting. He was thinking he had at least another 50 to 75 feet before lift off. The rest of the reasoning is in the mind of the pilot. He was in shock to see his plane in the air at such a steep angle. He tried something and it didn't work. He has already rebuilt it.

The trainer was lost partly because of the wind, but it was mainly inexperience and a loss of orientation. You can see in the final moments that it had turned and was headed toward the camera and the runway. However, you then see him continue the turn and off into the trees. The owner of the trainer has decided not to rebuild it. He replaced it with a sport trainer (which is probably still a little too much for him). He still has not officially soloed!

All of my planes came home in one piece.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Bugleboy,
Glad to hear the P-51 is rebuilt. You can't blame the wind for the crash. All the error rests in the hands and thumbs of the pilot. When taking off on windy days into a strong headwind, a bit of down elevator is needed on the takeoff roll. The plane does not fly itself. I was unable to get the video to download. I can only go by experience. Next time, if the plane takes off prematurely, get the nose down and apply power. Once the plane levels off, fly the plane. The P-51 is a Warbird, not a trainer or an aerobat. You can't yank them off the ground. Take off should be gradual and level. Don't forget to add a bit of right rudder to compensate for the torque. I believe some simulator time would be beneficial for you guys. Good luck,

"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 12-19-2005, 02:12 PM
bugleboy

Cannot argue with any of that.

Jason
Old 12-19-2005, 04:40 PM
bugleboy

If you couldn't see the videos, try it here:

[link=http://bugleboy.rchomepage.com/video_crashes.htm]http://bugleboy.rchomepage.com/video_crashes.htm[/link]
Old 12-19-2005, 06:48 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

ouch. I guess not a good luck day.[]