Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Have you ever Known you were crashing a plane and couldn't save it?

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!
View Poll Results: A poll
I had planes that could have been saved, if there was a "Panic Button"
56.15%
I have had no planes that were savable even with a "Panic Button"
43.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Have you ever Known you were crashing a plane and couldn't save it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 07:19 PM
av8rdavid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Have you ever Known you were crashing a plane and couldn't save it?

A recovery system would be sweet (if not yet invented for model airplanes)...Only problem is as mentioned by many replies i read before..MOST ACCIDENTS HAPPEN IN A FRACTION OF A SECOND NEAR TERRAIN OR OBJECTS!!!!!
A recovery system or CAPS (Cirrus Airframe Parachute System) is a great life saver for general aviation pilots who get involved in sticky situations...
Check out Cirrus at:
http://www.cirrusdesign.com/safety/
Its deployed through a rocket system that sends the parachute a few feet away from the plane to ensure it doesn't tangle with the tumbling plane and brings the plane and pilot safe and sound back to earth.
What if it is tested with an ESTES rocket on a model airplane?
Could be interesting, but shooting projectiles out of an airplane while the plane is in an uncontrolled situation and accidentally aiming it at the crowd can get ugly...
Something to think about indeed...
Thats just my 2 cents and a 1/5...hahaha!

Dave
Old 10-31-2005, 07:40 PM
Spaceclam

i drew up a design a while back on another thread for compressed air power to launch a parachute out of a packaging and inflate it instantly...
now that i have access to a mill and a lathe i could probably make it.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:17 AM
spadeng

I've crashed my spad debonair a few times, most have been due to pilot error sence i'm a new pilot, ive flown with an instructor and most of the time we crashed it is due to loss of orientation in the sun the last flight i had with my first plane was a design flaw in my elevator linkage resulting in total devistation, we knew it was going down but when you have no elevator control - the plane is going down, on my new plane with improved linkage the only problem i had was landing an it is too late for a panic button, i dont know if there is one action that would save a plane in every situaton, and like i heard one pilot comment, the planes all end up in a million pieces, ive accepted that as a part of the hobby, although I do my best not to crash despite my six year old son who thinks crashes are cool
Old 11-01-2005, 06:17 AM
av8rdavid

The compressed air depolyment system sounds GREAT!
Would you use a Co2 cartridge or a pump operating system? We can totally elaborate on the Co2 method.....
I have a few Airplane life vests and the valves they use to inflate each chamber out of just one pull can be retrofit to be activated by a servo! After puncture to the Co2, compressed air would launch the packet containing the recovery system...
Just another idea...Let me know what u think!

Dave
Old 11-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Ryan Archer

well does it count that i flew a plane back with one wing? well half of the main wing because it was a biplane. my fatrher got it on video. but the best i could do was bring it in and flip it back to regular flight at the last second and i did that and it worked. it was a big electric plane that i had a midair with. ryan
Old 11-03-2005, 07:06 PM
av8rdavid

Awsome!! good piloting skills there!
I can't find your video though...
Got a link besides the main videos page?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:02 PM
ArmedZagi
My Feedback: (1)

Picture a 2.5m glider..with its elevator stuck in full up with its motor on... It wound up in a huge pecan tree...it was hung so well we had to shoot out the limbs holding it there with a .22 and it must have hit EVERY limb on the tre on its way back to eath...did manage to repair it though (all-be-it a good half pound heavier)...
Old 11-09-2005, 01:05 AM
viperdude

My first crash was not pilot error, (radio went out), however, i had the good 5 seconds of the plane doing 120 at the ground to know that i was in trouble. if you are trying to come up with a device that can prevent out of control problems, i beleive there are some, fmadirect.com (i think) , makes a device similar, however, it simply memorizes a flight, and reproduces it. A device that could actually bring a plane back to safe and lefel flight from an out of control positon(also mady by fmadirect), and safely land the plane without problems, would be just about the only thing that could reduce crashes. However, the only way to do this would be gps navigation, or something similar, which in the end would end up costing so much, it would be more worth youre time to go and get one of those tape recordings that teaches you to pay attention to everything. If i had checked the radio battery before flight, id still have that plane, but i think that most of us piltos agree that the main reason for crashing is ignorance, in other words, to make a device that could reduce crashes, you would have to take all of this into account. Plus make it a reasonably cheap thing to buy(impossible). Of course a device that can save you from the time and money it takes to repair a crashed aircraft would be easily justified, however over time you will realize that crashing is part of the sport, and thrill, removing it would make the sport just a little less thrilling. hope any of my info has helped u, good luck on youre report!
Old 11-09-2005, 03:29 PM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once from an old battery and squeezing "just one more" flight out of a Lanier dart. It went in right wing down at about 70 MPH. Cool! My most recent was my first attempt at 3D at 30 ft. with a powerhouse ST .45 and 10X6. Plenty of power to hover and pull out but as I was hovering it was slipping backwards and I pushed it over too much without throttling up and it went over forward into a spin. If I throttle back in the spin or had anoth 10 ft, I would still have that plane. It was free but the guy who built it was standing right next to me when it happened. I still have the pieces and I pledged that what was left will fly again. Canopy back and wing halves are still good. Front was toast. All my fault pushing both my skill and my equipments threshold
Old 11-13-2005, 03:39 PM
stinger40

I lost a H9 Extra 330S from radio failure. There wasn't a darn thing I could do. I knew it was a goner.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:20 PM
CKLLOYD

Well I have had over 100 planes to date and have crash 90% ot them.. I have been flying over 35 years and out of all of these planes I can only say that 5 of them were mech. failure.. and 3 of 5 could have been save with a pantic button.. while flying a 60 size cheroke fire wall broke I cut power plane went into a dive added power plane went straight up and hard right bank. after fighting the controles witch seem forever a got the plane on final but still way to high. at this point fire wall came off and motor was hanging down under plane still running lost full control landed on roof fo house then fell to the ground.. end of this plane... and there was the day that I flew my 1/4 cub it had a webra 91 4 stroke well i flew this plane on a very nice day sun was out about 78 deg. slight breeze check plane pre flight and took off while I was flying around a red tail hawk started flying around my plane.. I thought this was cool so I chop the power and flew with him must have piss him off because out of nowhere he rip the end of my wing off. my plane headed for the ground and as for the hawk he was still carring part of my wing as he flew to the top of a tree end of #2 plane #3 plane was a sop-west pup it received the engine and radio from what was left of #2 plane on the 3rd or 4th flight I was fling it about
a 8th mile away when I lost all control never did find the plane lost in the woods dam pine trees anyway... JUST REMEMBER EVERY TIME YOU LAND A PLANE IT IS A CONTROLLED CRASH SOME JUST A LITTLE HARDER THEN OTHERS... SIN. CHUCK LLOYD
Old 11-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Zack999

a parrachute would be good for thoes that could be saved
for me two crashes this year one lost range on trainer at 200 feet watched it in slow motion knowing that I had shorts on and sandals wish I had knew that it was on a road 1/4 mile down the road next last lap of the race last turn made a clean pass the guy I passed was not so clean with out tail feathers 1/12 scale t6 dives one foot a second I was two feet off the ground it took 2 seconds to hit the deck gravel sure can eat balsa quick[:@]
Old 12-02-2005, 05:20 AM
Harry Lagman

Here's an idea for a widget - emergency pop out wings.

In preparation for our last novelty trainer pylon race of the year, I assembled my .40 sized trainer with a YS FZ 1.10 up front, threw on 12 rubber bands (can you see where this is heading?) and maidened her yesterday. After about 5 sort-out flights I started leaning her down and started ever faster, tighter circuits in practise for the big day this Saturday. Well the inevitable happened and the fuselage, unencumbered by the wing, accelerated away. It's funny how you actually attempt the futility of flying the wingless fuselage for a few microseconds before you confirm that the only control you have is the throttle, which when brought back to idle, knocks perhaps 3 mph off its 100 mph plus velocity.

So, how about a second set of wings ready to deploy - assignment to switch "E" would be nice thanks!