Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

INTERSTING QUESTION?????

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

INTERSTING QUESTION?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 11:06 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default INTERSTING QUESTION?????

Hello i purchased my FIRST RC PLANE TO DAY!!!!!!!!!!! its called SKY FLY its a trainer type plane its was 100 bucks RTF im goin to take her for a spin tomorrow!!! i was reading these crashes and i was thinking to my self HEY ILL BE ON HERE TO MORROW LOLOL (ofcourse with alot less loss of money that what others have experianced) my question PLEASE DONT LAUGH IM A FLY NOOB is there any type of parachute sytsem???? i use to be into model rocket when i was younger and i thought it might be a good idea to plant a parachute one of your planes (ofcourse one 50 to 100 times the size of those estes rocket ones LOL) if you lose control or a wing breaks off one side or an engine dies out wouldnt it be a good idea to blow a parachute out of the back of the plane for a safe landing?? has anyone you know tryed this?? in theory its sounds very easy but is it possible??? let me know!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 11:07 PM
MNFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: INTERSTING QUESTION?????

Do you have anyone to teach you?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:37 PM
aussiesteve

Probably not much point in having a parachute system.

You see - Most crashes happen very close to the ground!!

and as you learn you will discover that you have great control all the way until either you freeze up (and would therefore not have time to deploy the 'chute) or until the "less than ideal landing" takes place.

I would recommend the ideal safety system when learning is
A) A competent instructor
B) - In addition to "A" a Buddy box.

and for when the inevitable does eventually happen

C) a good sense of humor.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:08 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will not be able to fly the plane by yourself. []
Old 08-17-2006, 01:01 AM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

If you fly that thing by yourself.......it will be a steaming pile of foam and plastic in just about 3 minutes.......Get and experienced RC'er to help you.
BUT......if you don't want to get an instructor .........another option is to just send me $100.00 everytime you want to try flying....it will save you alot of time and frustration and trips to the hobby shop.

Say the word, and I will e-mail my addy
Old 08-17-2006, 04:20 AM
Cyberfyn

I learnt to fly with no physical instruction at all ! All I did was buy a half decent simulator and practiced for about 3 months. Then bought a cheap electric park fly and practiced on that then moved on to larger electrics and so on. I was on my local clubs waiting list for 2 years so had no real choice.

I now have several large scale planes and helicopters. And have only had one major crash in 5 years. So it can be done without training, but I would also reccomend joining a club and getting help though.

Ian F.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:23 PM
MiamizFinest

SO MUCH POSITIVE RENFORCEMENT!!!!!!!!!!! lol j/k i think ill crash too but screw it its just 100 bucks i hope not tho i would like to enjoy flying.......... ima take a video of my first flight today for you guys to see!!!!! lol i dont have anyone to show me what i do have is the DVD that came with the plane and ive seen it about 10 times just so i can suck every bit of infor out of it!!!!! wish me luck and SKYS BEWARE!!!!!!!!! LOL
Old 08-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Bosch232
My Feedback: (1)

You think he'll use as many exclamation points in his post-crash report?

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

Old 08-17-2006, 06:13 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I taught myself to fly, and there are ways to do it.. I read this strategy and it worked for me...But plan on doing some building and repair...Get a two meter glider ...like a gentle lady..take it out in a big open area, and practice hand launching it away from you. learn to fly straight out, flare and land without stalling it. Once you can do that without taking it home broken, start turning it in the air bring it back, and learn to land it approaching you, once you can do that without breaking it, go to a upstart or high start, once you can take it home in one piece from an afternoon of glider flying you are getting close to gas flight.. the gas flight will still probably catch you off guard though, the speed is what will get you..and maybe the take off..but you should be good to fly the pattern and have a shot at landing...I did ALOT of building..which I loved, and looking back I would never want to learn to fly any other way..it was the best part of the hobby learning on my own... but its not for everyone, and not for non builders...unless you have deep pockets....

lots of people have no interest in gliders, but when you start and learn on a glider you will be fascinated by the efficiency and seemingly physics defying of it all ..
Old 08-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Arrow IV

Miami,

Lots of us taught ourselves to fly. Its dooable!! I recomend a FLIGHT SIM, I started teaching a guy but only got 3 flights with him, so I gave him my SIM and the plane is still flyin!! Looks a little different, weighs more (lots of epoxy) but still flyin!!
The reason I say get a SIM is your first flight is gonna be soooooo short your probably not gonna learn anything, I hope you prove me wrong.
That glider thing has its purposes, none of wich will help you at this point if your gonna start with glo. If you are gonna fly glo start with glo, if your gonna fly electric then start with electric!! Powered flight and gliders TWO DIFFERENT THINGS! Most important you have got to let us know how it turned out!!! Rubber side down Boys!!

Hey MANIAC what's up? Who we pickin on today? If we don't who will??[>:]
Old 08-17-2006, 09:07 PM
MiamizFinest

Well............ i flew today!!!!!!!! but it was kinda windy.............and well............. CRASH!!!!!!!!! i only got it up to about 10 feet in the air when it took a nose dive..............dam it noting broke on impact but i guess the shock was so much that the elctircal systems dont work noting works........... and before it hit the ground the propeler made this weird WEIRD NOISE like CLACK CLACK CLACK while in mid air im so down about it i only got about 10 seconds of flight time its weird becuase noting works rudder, propeler, while the battery is in it make this really weird noise as if it was glitching??? i think it might be a factory defect the crash was not that bad not even a scatch........... but i kinda got pist and thru it so now it looks pretty beat up LOL ima call the company tomorrow and see if there is any kind of warranty it was so EXITING! and then BOOM!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:45 PM
aussiesteve

Yup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Lots of exclamation marks for y'all there Bosch 232).

Let me know if the warranty covers impact damage - if it does I'll buy a few of those planes myself.

One reason for getting an experienced person to help you for at least your first flight is that they may be able to identify what the noise was - they may even help you with a preflight and post crash inspection.

Keep trying - you will eventually get there and ignore the $36000/hour flying cost so far - it will reduce (even quicker if you get someone with experience to help you out).
Old 08-18-2006, 12:19 AM
J_D

how hard is flying a plane, compared to flying a helicoptor?

cos i taught myself to fly my choppers, And i'm thinking about getting a plane and dont know of any flying club nearby, would that mean that i could possibly teach myself to fly a plane? just curious.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:37 AM
aussiesteve

I taught myself both planes and Choppers and didn't destroy that much but I am sure that I would have destroyed a lot less if I had used modern techniques to learn (Like instructors and buddy boxes). I guess that I didn't learn too good because after 25 years of flying RC (Well there was a couple of very extended breaks in between) I still crash the darn things occassionally

I personally find large choppers easier to fly than small planes and large planes easier to fly than small choppers but they all still have "Imperfect landings" occassionally. Anyone can teach themselves anything - it's just how efficient the learning is that makes the difference.

I would think that near Brissy there would be a few clubs - try the MAAA website for Qld links to clubs near to you.

The nose dive in Miamizfinests report sounds like a classic stall to me something that may or may not have happened with an experienced assistant (Windy conditions?).
Old 08-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Arrow IV

Aussiesteve,

If you know how to land could you please teach me!! Dude nobody knows how to land, your only as good as your last one... You know how it is, make a 100 good landings, run your mouth a little, and the next your changin the half a prop you got left. The other thing is there are only two types of planes... planes that have crashed and... say it with me... planes that WILL crash!!

Miami, I told you, not long enough time to learn!! SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM!! Get one it will help. Rubber side down Boys!!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Nathan9492

lol kool..should be loads of fun
Old 08-18-2006, 11:28 AM
MiamizFinest

Actually im not pist i called the company and from what they tolled me there is a batch of defective motors that when at full power they would short and short out all the electric stuff on them...........SO i have to send it in the mail and yea they will be sending me a new one for free im so happy it was not my fault!!!!!!!! the funny thing was i drove it around on the ground the day before to test the propeller and the rudders and everything was fine and then as soon as it left the ground i hear the weird noise and then BOOM!!!!!! lolnow i gotta wait a few days to get a new one im try to find someone to help me out tho!!!!!

PS i did not mention the fact i beat the life out of the plane LOL here is a pic of it (noting happen to the main wing i had just taken it off but look at the tail)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35688.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	509140  
Old 08-18-2006, 12:25 PM
timothy thompson

fly in little wind and ROG the model do not hand launch. tHAT IS A TECHNIQUE THAT TAKES PRACTICE. get help if possible, if you crash again please dont ncry to us here we told you what to do and you didnt do it. im a instructor and deal with people saying how easy this is then they try it and say OMG! it harder than you think
Old 08-18-2006, 02:57 PM
MiamizFinest

i didnt hand launch it since i wanted a REAL FLIGHT EXPERIANCE i never sayed it was goin to be easy nor did i expect to be a instant pilot im very aware that its not goin to be easy and nor em i "CRYING" about it i was jsut reporting how may day whent i sayed pretty clearying that is was defective and stalled in mid flight the company even admited to that can u image ur first flight last 10 seconds and the engine dies 10 feet of the ground??? what could i do?????? lol besides watch is crash slowly like the hindenbur LOL???? and yes i did go into the dirrection of the wind so i did that right i wish there would be some one to help me out in person but in MIAMI no one really cares for planes since u have to drive ALL THE WAY TO THE EVERGLADES to fly them and on top of that u gotta watch out for crocodiles...........litterally thats y everyone here only has cars and boats becuase there is really no where u can go to take flight!!!!!!! yes u "TOLLED ME SO AND I DID IT" but its either that or let the plane collecting dust in my closet.......... hopefully someone (perfably timothy since he is and instrutor) on tips and tricks that will keep my plane in flight when i get it if ANYONE has any lil tips ID APRESATE ANYTHING!!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Troy-RCU

Miamizfinest, guys have already told you the best ideas for learning to fly.
1. Find an experienced pilot in your area to assist you. If you let someone experienced test fly your plane they will know in one flight whether you've set it up right or it needs tweaking. This is a plane, not a car. It needs to be dialed in correctly or it will not fly well in anybody's hands...especially someone who has never flown.

2. Buy a sim. This works good but is still not the best substitute for the real world. It trains you're reflexes but does not instill the best judgment for over all success.
free one here: http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html version 8.5

3. Crash over and over till you might actually be able to keep it in the air longer than 10 seconds $$$$
Old 08-18-2006, 05:41 PM
aussiesteve

Hey Arrow IV
That was exactly my point - the "Imperfect Landings" that I mention are those where it will be a while (If ever) before that sucker ever flies again. The phase "Imperfect Landings" is our local joke when dumb thumbs hit.

Out of the 50 plus airframes in our hobby shed (most with motors, radio gear and ready to fly - these are shared between my two sons and myself - guess which one of the three flies the least) our oldest airframe is 5 years old - The LHS's all welcome me when I walk through their doors and I must say that I get excellent service from all of them - Surely it's just because I'm an all round good bloke (an Aussieism for you there). Not all of the 50 plus airframes have been bought as replacements during that time but between the three of us we do replace at least 5 - 10 per year (the sons also fly just about every day - we have a field on our property in Oz).

The upshot of all that- I'm probably not the one to teach you to land because I still get it wrong after all this time!! Even the Chief Instructor at our local club who has been flying continuously since the late '40s and is as experienced an instructor as I have ever found gets it wrong from time to time.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:31 PM
cncswiss1

I self taught on a gentle lady as well...

as for the tips, try to keep inputs small and smooth, turning requires up elevator input, but only a little. most crashes are from mis-orientation so KEEP YOUR EYES on it, and tell yourself which way it's flying a lot. keep very very far away from spectators/people, if kids come out to watch, bag the flight and leave. remember climbing takes POWER to hold speed (and not stall) and diving creates speed and needs reduced power. the slower you fly the more sluggish the controls will feel, conversly the faster you fly the more responsive it is. I have seen a LOT of noob crashes from misorienting and making a turn steeper and spiraling into the ground, remember you have to bump opposite aileron to level it out after a turn (it's a trainer so that will be to a lesser degree). ailerons work the same upside down or right side up, elevator and rudder do not (when inverted down is up and up is expensive). trim you plane so that when the throttle is chopped it will simply glide. practice by not using the motor and just chucking it straight ahead, trim for the slowest flattest glide without a stall.

always rember the prop is dangerous and will kick on with glitches sometimes, if the battery is connected treat it like it's a running glow engine.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:48 AM
MiamizFinest

I have bein INLIGHTEN!!!!! lol and im practeceing with a SIM link you gave me thanks alot i REALLY WISH I COULD FIND SOMEONE BUT IVE TRYED and ive bein looking for about a 1year and nothing no one cares for airplanes out here.........[:@]
Old 08-19-2006, 11:50 AM
bkdavy

Have you tried the AMA Chartered Club locator?

I found [link=http://www.amps-rc.com/]AMPS[/link], [link=http://www.vistaviewflyers.com/]Vista View flyers[/link], [link=http://65.6.189.224/phflyers/]the Pompano Hill Flyers[/link] in just a few minutes. The maps on their website show them to be pretty reasonably located from Miami, and are willing to help new flyers. I suggest you check them out.

If not, let me know which local hobby shop you're frequenting. I'd like to buy stock, and I think you're going to be a very frequent customer.

Brad
Old 08-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Jim C.

i called the company and from what they tolled me there is a batch of defective motors that when at full power they would short and short out all the electric stuff on them
LOL LOL LOL yeah, too bad thunder tiger dont do that. I took off my second trainer and at about 15 ft the engine flamed out and CRASH!!! SO I called thunder tiger about a warrenty and they said yeah those noobs dont know how to tune a motor and they could flame out and cause a crash on take off... lmmfao but they said tough titties

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.