Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Mid-air this weekend. Anyone to balme??

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Mid-air this weekend. Anyone to balme??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:37 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Mid-air this weekend. Anyone to balme??

For the most part, you need to listen to the other airplanes to know where they are and their direction of flight. One of the reasons that I don't want people talking to me while I fly or running up engines on the flight line. It is also very difficult to tell where electrics are.

I find that I can keep track of up to three other airplanes while flying my own just from listening. Four is one too many.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:03 PM
flymeaway
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mid-air this weekend. Anyone to balme??

It's funny how long this thread has been running its course, good topic though.

I caused a mid-air last year at our field. Yes, it was completely my fault. I was on the downwind leg of the pattern trying to trim a plane out I had just repaired when the ailerons locked in a slight bank. At the time there were three other planes in the air. I yelled out very loudly that I had lost control. I had rudder, throttle and elevator so I was able to get the plane down safely away from the runway and the pits (I said safely, not successfully). Just before impact a mid air occurred low center runway. The third plane crashed (dumb-thumbed) in watching all the chaos. As we all walked out to retrieve our carcasses, the oldest member there was yelling at the guy who hit him, then yelled at me because I yelled and caused all this. So you see, it was all my fault. The whole event was nothing short of a brilliant comedy routine actually.

The story is true, but I'm obviously being facetious.

I think this is worth another look for it is very well said:

Most mid airs ARE avoidable - it's not a question of "fault" - it's a question of prudence.

If 1 or 2 guys are up doing 3D - that is a bad time to zoom and boom a warbird around the pattern - wait your turn.

If 1 or 2 guys are up flying warbirds - doing zoom and booms - that is a bad time to do 3D in the middle of the box - wait your turn.

If a bunch of gas guys are tearing up the sky with a mish mash of sport planes - that is a bad time to launch your super slow flying electric foamie or super scaled warbird - wait your turn.
That's exactly how I fly - courteously and with common sense. If an old time member has his 1/4 scale cub in the air that has hundreds of flights on it, I stay down since he floats around at all altitudes and does many t-n-gos and I fly more IMAC type stuff. If two or three flyers have been up for a bit, I wait for them to land.

I look at flying/crashing/the plane's eventual and inevitable expiration date like this - it's a great opportunity to get yet another plane.