Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Survey-Youngest to Oldest Pilots

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Survey-Youngest to Oldest Pilots

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 08:32 PM
raptor5900
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Survey-Youngest to Oldest Pilots

HAHAHAHAHAHA.......are you that old........did you live in a fully fernished cave? did you have a pet t-rex to ride on?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:22 AM
Spaceclam

how did you manage to crash 10 planes in 3 years? that's a record, no doubt. that's a little over one crash every 4 months.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:20 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I got into Control Line when I was 10. Supported the hobby by collecting old newspapers and scrap aluminum and selling them to the local scrap yard. Newsprint was very high quality paper back then (1957) and the scrap yard was paying $.50 per 100 pounds. I'd collect and bundle the papers all week, it was kind of like a reverse paper route, then on Saturdays my Dad and I would load up the old Studebaker with about 700lbs, most of it in the back seat, and head to the scrap yard. The first engine I bought was a McCoy .29 Red Head. I paid $10.00 for it at the local hobby shop. I then built a Sterling Ringmaster for it and my Dad and I taught ourselves how to fly with some coaching from the local experts.

I flew U-control for the next 6 years then lost interest. Never picked up the hobby again until this year at age 56. I'm having more fun now than I ever did. I just wish Dad was still around to enjoy it with me.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:15 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a gentleman in the Murray Ky. Club that is 92 years young. He uses a chicken stick to start his engine. Does not ask for any help from anyone, would assist if he needed help, he just does'nt require it. In fact we are more likley to ask him for advice. He flies 2 or 3 tank fulls in an afternoon and he's not scared of anything. In fact he bought and restored three full scale aircraft in the early to mid 1930's until the laws change about the way certain things wear done and it got too expensive for him. He told me his 1st plane was a 1927 "I don't remember the type", had such a slow climb rate it took him about an hour anf 30 minutes to get up to 15000 feet. I guess they did'nt worry too much about Hypoxia back then, but lets face it guys all the pilots of that era were daredevils and many died. He has a lot of history to share and I as well as the other kids ranging from 40 to 70 years young enjoy listening to him and watching him fly.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Spaceclam

maybe he should have gone to 20% nitro
Old 12-11-2003, 09:52 AM
raptor5900

hey space hows yer 110 and new plane coming?.........i'm gonna order my 2M on monday hopfully.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Spaceclam

that engine is amazing. broke in completely on the 2nd tank. by the third, when i tested it, it would idle steadily at 2000 rpm for about a minute inverted without a glow driver without loading up, and throttle up was superb. jeese that thing has power. when i was holding it so my dad culd tach and adjust the needle, i kept pulling back and i kept thinking my rudder was hitting something. it wasn't. that's how powerful that is. right now so as not to make the plane look rediculous with a giant prop, i am using a 15-8. it has enough power to slimb agressivly out of a hover with that prop. i would not go back to any other company for four strokes. these engines are the best.
as far as the new plane goes, the owner hopes to start shipping b4 the chineese new year. he had some problems with the original factory cutting corners as far as quality goes. this 90 size aerobat is going to cost me about $350 with shipping, but if you have seen pictures of the inside, the quality is jaw dropping. it is very well made and uses real iron-on covering. have you seen the video? check it out at www.extremeflightrc.com click on products, scroll down to 68" yak 54, and then scroll down to the bottom of the page, it will say video available for download. that isn't even quite tapping into it's full potential.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:53 AM
raptor5900

yup i've heard things that extream flight has been slow........my plane is $675 for the basic kit.....i'm gonna put a 3M 1.70 in it........and i'm gonna go with the JR 9X.....all of them are just out on the market and what i've heard about all of them is they're a winner........the plane is suposed to fly better than the smarged at 1/3 the price............wow the yak looks sweet i wouldnt mind having one of those[>:]
Old 12-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Spaceclam

what plane was $675 for the basic kit that you can mut a 3w 1.70 in? is it an extreme flight kit and did you check out the video of the yak?
Old 12-11-2003, 11:58 PM
raptor5900

ya i saw the yak video looks like itll do some 3D....... the $675 is only 2M i think a 3w engine would rip it up its the 3M 1.70 mintor it's still glow...its made for f3a......heres a picture of the first one to fly, and the last pic is the color's for the fuse on mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95421.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	81645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94756.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	81646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63867.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	81647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67312.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	81648  
Old 12-12-2003, 10:32 AM
Spaceclam

cool. i like the colors. you won't ever loose sight of that one. the one thing about the yak video is it doesn't show what it can really do. i have seen some videos of it on other sites and they makethis one look like a training video. i have it set up on realflight thanks to chris, who gave me some specs. it obviously isn't perfectly correct, but impressive no doubt.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:53 AM
raptor5900

i've been trying for a long time to try and get a good practice plane on g2 and they just wont fly like a pattern plane........right now i'm using a modified CAP 232......it flys ok but still crappy for a pattern plane......I am gonna order mine on monday i cant wait.....you think the fuse is bright wait till you see the wings.[&:]........i really want one of those yaks now but thats not gonna happen any time soon

here's a pic of the 9X
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27262.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	81711  
Old 12-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Seems we've gotten off the subject of this thread a little.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:19 PM
raptor5900

sorry
Old 12-12-2003, 02:16 PM
driverm391

I am 24 and am just starting. This is a heck of a lot of fun, builing and flying. I don't have a lot of $$$ ( who does?) so I built a guillow's kit into a rudder/elevator control with an .049. I am waiting for the engine to come in so I can try it out!
Old 12-13-2003, 01:02 AM
Spaceclam

god it's frustrating. 13 years old, not a whole lot of money, won't settle for anything less than the best the marked has to offer (ie ys engine, 3d plane, coreless or digital servos etc) within reason, and the plane of my dreams won't be leaving china until just b4 chinese new year. god i can't put the irritation into words. the problem with being young is that all the older guys wiht prostate problems like to bug you about every little thing or pretend like you are some kind of amateur who is not worthy of sharing the same chunk of asphalt or even the parking lot with them. raptor, you may be able to vouch for this. probably the most memorable instance was when i pulled up and went strait vertical above the 400 foot altitude limit at the field. this is a public field, and there is no real altitude limit. the jet guys and even a lot of the prop guys like myself will go balistic and shatter that limit and the cops don't care. however, the 400 foot rule only really applies when there is traffic in the air, because there is a full scale airport very close. the sign used to say 200, but somebody put a piece of duct tape over the two. anyway, i went vertical and some older fellow with a pizazz came over to me and told me in a very irritating nasaly voice that i was breaking the altitude limit,. and i had better watch it because the cops might come and shut the field down. as he said that, one of the jets was taking off. there are almost always more spectators at our field than there are pilots and the spectators were quickly overcome by the novelty of the small turbines, and the focus turned to them. the jet guy took of vertical, almost out of sight and that had a 70 or 80 inch wingspan. that must have been 1000 feet at least. that older guys was standing there trying to associate himself with the jet pilot to the spectators so that he wouldn't feel inferior to the jet guy, but nobody bought it. they were too busy pointing and shouting "look look it's a jet". anyway, he landed and that old guy didn't say a word to the jet pilot. instead, he fueled up his pizazz and tried to get the crouds attention by tying his plane in a pretzel just above the runway. those kinds of things happen regularly, but not always with the grumpy old guy. a lot of people do. it's really frustrating. the most common thing to do is ignore him. let him yack to dead ears and then laugh at him behind his back. another thing is openly defy him by flying exactly the way he tells you not to, making sure to exagerate the most emphasized parts of his complaint. that i like to do, but i don't always like to do it because sometimes the guy is jsut picking on me because i can fly as good as he can and i am only 1/3 his age. (at the public field, there are a lot of unskilled pilots, but there are also a lot of skilled pilots. there are very few people in between, myself being one). sometimes, if they confront me again i will politely catalog his errors over the past 5 mins and do it with the most irritating happy grin i can muster. usually they leave you alone. i don't like being rude on purpose, but sometimes i just don't want my flying style to be criticized when there is nothing wrong to begin with. i don't like to be disrespectful, but one of the things i learned in 6th grade is if you are being pestered by a hyppocrit, give them the impression that you are a snotty, stuck up little brat and they usually won't waste their breath bothering you. when prople confront me several times because i have not taylored my flying style to their needs, i actually enjoy putting that immage of me into their head. usually they just finish what they were saying and walk away, never to be heared from again. the cool part is, if those select few talk about me behind my back, nobody seems to care because they are all friendly tward me and don't appear to be hiding anything. that doesn't mean i will walk around giving people that immage, it's just to get the nasty ones off my back. mostly, any last resort that works well without hurting yourself in the process is a good one; even if it does mean making somebody mad at you.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:59 AM
OMPEdgeFlyer

my youngest is flying now at 6 y.o. She has a GWS Slow Stick, started shortly after she turned 5. I started R/C at 11 and control line at about 7 or 8(birthday right at the end of summer so it was right in that time)
Old 12-13-2003, 03:53 PM
raptor5900

ya i can vouch for it, like one time i did a WOT snap and a guy came over to me and said yer planes gonna blow up if you do that, well he doesnt know how i build it and i know that it could take it. if they tell you to do somthing like that dont listen to them if theyre worse pilots......i am also one of the in between pilots i am better than most of the pilots (most are older guys) but whats funny is that know one i know at my feild will try a hover off the deck........i like to fly pattern and some 3D i think it helps my pattern alittle but know one els will fly real 3D. unless a hover 100 ft in the air counts.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:06 AM
Spaceclam

you will find it dificult to 3d in a pattern plane. do you have realflight? i have made the most accurate replica of the yak i can muster, although i know the rudder on this is not as efective as the real one. the problem with trying to 3d in a pattern is that they are designed to be the most efficient at high speeds. they won't have near the control authority as a 3d plane, while a 3d plane can't go that fast or the surfaces will flutter.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:02 AM
raptor5900

but the new wide body planes are ment to go slower and have bigger control serfaces......right now i have a SPA3D for 3D its not the best plane but hey its $5.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:50 PM
Spaceclam

i don't particularly care for spads. one of the guys at my field has one. he let me fly it. god it's a iece of junk. i don't see what all the rucus is about.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:32 PM
raptor5900

ya if I had the money i would get somthing els....it does 3D OK but i tryd a WOT blender and the wings wer all over the place i just lost control then its what i have for now it i do get a balsa 3D plane it will be the funtana or the UCD also me and my friend are going to build a 90 pattern plane and doo al kinds of test with it i will have a mag .91 in it and then when wer done with that i can use the mag to power the funtana or UCD.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:14 PM
Mudsurfer1234

I am getting my first r/c plane for x-mas, but have build ing guillow kits for about 5-7years. I am 13 now and hope to fly till im 113 hehe
Old 12-14-2003, 05:53 PM
raptor5900

no dont do it you'll never have any money ever again!!!
Old 12-14-2003, 08:23 PM
EagleOne

ORIGINAL: Spaceclam

i don't particularly care for spads. one of the guys at my field has one. he let me fly it. god it's a iece of junk. i don't see what all the rucus is about.
I didn't have a good experince with a SPA3D either. I built one about 2 months ago....And dude, what a crap. Everytime I went to the field, I coudn't fly it for more than 10 seconds, that is, when I could take off....The plane is so flexible that I would give it aileron command for it to roll and it just plainly stayed there.....Didn't roll at all......All the curves I had to do with the rudder, and mind you, when it got a little too banked.....Well, the ground was the only thing that would stop it banking. What a deception....Every flight was a prop less in my flight box (and conesequently one more prop sold at the LHS). When I got past the 20 props / flights (which cost me 10 times more than the material to build the plane itself) mark, I decided to retire that plane. I believe it was something I did wrong in the construction because from the vids I have seen the SPA3D seems to work very well. But anyway, I don't plan to build other not only because of my bad exprience, but also because they are so ugly!!! It doesn't look like a plane....The profile ones at least resemble a plane, just with a lower AR wing and a profiled fuselage, but the SPA3D with that square wing........talk about strange.....

Now I'm finishing a .40 size Profile Edge and it promises a lot....Can't wait to start hovering and doing 3D in real life (so far only on the sim, since my other 2 planes, don't get anywhere near 3D hability....)

BTW, keeping on-topic, I'm 15 and started in R/C planes when I was 11. Then I stopped for a while (1 year and a half) and in the beggining of this year I was bitten by the bug again......It seems that now I'm truly hooked!!!! I have 3 planes, and I'm working on my 4 th and making plans for the 5th!!!! And it's not my idea to stop there....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.