Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Not so fun...

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Not so fun...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:03 PM
panzertank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not so fun...

Today i went out for a flight with my hobbico avistar (which i had a live camera attached to) expecting a nice day of flying. And thats what i got for the day until the end of the last tank for the day. As i was flighing around the area for the last time my aileron control went out... completely. Then a 1/2 second later all control was lost and my beloved avistar smacked nose first at top end speed right into the rocky soil of New Jersey. I looked down at my Airtronics DR8000 control to find the main Display reading this message- "ERR2" and later "ERR1". As i walked overto inspect the damage i saw my plane in ruins. After i pulled it to my basement from the park this is what was left of it. Actually have another whole plane so at least it wouldn't cost me much if anyting. Post any comments you want

By the way does anyone know what the ERR2/ERR1 message on the DR8000 means? Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94269.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	917889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61092.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	917890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12736.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	917891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15631.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	917892  
Old 03-30-2008, 08:31 PM
farr301

Default RE: Not so fun...

panzertank, I would take a look in your manual for anyhing on errors. I believe you meant to say the RD8000 because i could not find anything on the DR8000. You could also call Airtronics and get an answer pretty fast. Here is a link to their service page. [link=http://www.airtronics.net/Airtronics_Contact.asp]Airtronics Service[/link]

Clearly, there was an obvious problem since the radio noticed it. My guess would be a problem with the radio and not the receiver but who knows. I would recommend calling Airtronics because they should know what to do.

Farr301
Old 03-30-2008, 08:34 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time....buy a Futaba!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:38 PM
thewrap

Are you kidding. Get a DX7 never have that problem again.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:46 PM
mjfrederick

That's funny that RC Maniac said that, because after I read the original post, I was going to say "ERR2" and "ERR1" mean "You shoulda bought Futaba"
Old 03-31-2008, 12:10 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

If its older, the back up memory battery may have stopped working.Dont worry about the name bashing.Everyone tells the Futuba guys to buy JR and so on
Old 03-31-2008, 06:49 AM
RC MANIAC119

Yea....I was just trying to make a very frustrating situation a little easier!! There's nothing worse than losing a bird to radio failure, and it happens with all Brands..........so lets not get started with a Futaba vs JR debate.

Besides.......when my Futaba fails.........I don't get no stinking error message...IT JUST QUITS!!!!

Good luck........
Old 03-31-2008, 11:26 AM
CGRetired

The RD (read RD ) as in Romeo Delta not DR as in Delta Romeo... 8000 vs the DR 8000.. the RD8000 is a fine radio. It is equally as good as any of the futaba's in it's category, so quit downing the Airtronics systems. I have both the RD6000 and the RD8000 radios and they give me great service.

I also have a Spektrum DX7 radio system and it too gives me good service. There are many people out there that swear by any of the big radio systems, and the truth be know, they are basically all the same.

Jeech, futaba fanatics..

The best way to get information on the error codes is to call Airtronics Service and see what they have to say about it. They may ask you to return the TX to them for service. The phone number is available at their web site which is

http://www.airtronics.net

Old 03-31-2008, 06:15 PM
Live Wire

Funny how people don't check thier reciever battery after a crash[&o] Maybe next time
Old 03-31-2008, 06:46 PM
Gary L.

LOL @ CG, I like my Futaba because I got it ( 9C ) new in the box with 5 servos for $200, If I got the same deal on some thing eles, I would like it. Sorry CG, could'nt help myself. Jeech, futaba fanatics..
Old 03-31-2008, 08:51 PM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As i was flighing around the area for the last time
The biggst problem is the last flight of the day. You should never make the last filght of the day. You should go home before this and have a beer. haha Also never say "Watch this..." obviously with an onboard video you were doing just that. hahah

When ever you think " One more flight, just for the road" Pack all your stuff up and go home immediatley.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:04 PM
nitro wing

Let us know what Airtronics says.
My memory battery went on my JR (and my brain ) and remember(sort of..) the screen went all weird with script.My plane was on the ground at that time,not sure (about anything ) if it could still transmit properly to the receiver.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:03 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: Gary L.

LOL @ CG, I like my Futaba because I got it ( 9C ) new in the box with 5 servos for $200, If I got the same deal on some thing eles, I would like it. Sorry CG, could'nt help myself. Jeech, futaba fanatics..
Not a problem, Gary. I just hate to see this "you screwed up because you didn't get a ... brand name... radio". All of the top four radio manufacturers are basically the same. They all do the job, and do it well. As you, I originally got my Airtronics because the price was right, AND because my instructor was using Airtronics. I liked the looks of the radio, the feel, and how it handled, not that I was an expert, by no means, but that was my original impression.

Now, though, I've used several different types and manufacturers and have found that they all do the job just fine. It comes down to a person's preference and that's just about it. When I read some of the fanatic posts about how great their brand X radio is over my brand Y, and that I was basically stupid for buying brand Y, well, I tend to get a tad bit irritated over that because it usually has absolutely no basis on fact and is usually a very biased viewpoint.

But with that said.. I certainly hope he finds out what those error messages are. I looked last night and did not find anything. My older RD6000 will not go out of the TX-HI mode (throttle open warning and will not energize the transmitter until the warning goes away). There is something wrong with the radio so I will send it back to Airtronics for repair. Only problem is, the way radio prices are going now, it may be cheaper to replace it than to fix it. Example: the new RDS8000 2.4 Gig Airtronics. On sale at Tower for $229. That's a deal!! They are not saying if that is with or without servos, but it must come with an RX.. so that's not bad at all. Especially since receiver pack can cost around $100.00 !!

CGr.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:12 AM
RC MANIAC119

Wait a minute CG........NOBODY suggested that anybody screwed up because they didn't buy a name brand radio. In fact, if you read back, I said LET'S NOT let that never ending debate get started!!!

So far, I haven't read any posts, on this thread..that could qualify anyone as a "fanatic", except for you.

"RD (read RD ) as in Romeo Delta not DR as in Delta Romeo... 8000 vs the DR 8000.. the RD8000 is a fine radio. It is equally as good as any of the futaba's in it's category, so quit downing the Airtronics systems. I have both the RD6000 and the RD8000 radios and they give me great service."

Radio systems are like women.........we each have our personal preferences, and no amount of trial and error can change what feels right.

I bought my first system in 1978-79, one of Tower's first radio systems, and my 2nd outfit was Futaba......and I have been flying them
ever since. TO ME......Futaba feels good in my hands, I know the programming, and feel confident in the reliability of my system.......but this does NOT make me a Futaba Fanatic!!!

nuff said!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 01:48 PM
mjfrederick

My comment was in no way meant to start that argument either. If you can't take tongue-in-cheek humor, don't read my posts... Heck I just posted a response to someone's question in the pattern forum about how often everyone practices saying "Practice? We don't need no stinking practice." Knowing darn well I can burn $125 - $150 in Cool Power 30% heli just getting ready for one contest. That's 5 - 6 gallons of fuel preparation to burn about a half gallon at a contest. Get a sense of humor... And get a Futaba radio system, cuz Airtronics and JR are horrible...
Old 04-01-2008, 02:49 PM
RC MANIAC119

WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:13 PM
mjfrederick

<< Takes a bow >> Don't forget to tip your waitresses, I'll be here all week!
Old 04-03-2008, 12:11 AM
mesaflyer

Heck, I just want to see the video.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: RC MANIAC119

Next time....buy a Futaba!!!
And that's a direct quote from your post, which was the third one in this thread. We can't read your mind.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 AM
RC MANIAC119

CG.........I get the feeling that you are a retired CG CPO...am I close??
Old 04-03-2008, 09:00 AM
CGRetired

Why the ? I didn't mind being a Chief I actually turned down Senior Chief for CWO2. I retired as CWO4.

I don't want to rile anybody up over this trivial stuff. I get the 'futaba this and futaba that' stuff at the field all the time, so when I see it here, well, never mind. It just isn't important. I have Airtronics and Spektrum and like them. If I had started out with Futaba, then I would have Futaba and Spektrum. Mainly because I wanted new technology when the Spektrum released their DX7 radio, no one else had the 2.4 GHz Spread Spectrum technology available at the time, so I got that and am very happy with it. I also use my Airtronics systems, but less and less frequently as I convert over to the DC7000 Receivers.

Sorry you took it personally. I only pointed out that your original post was not taken as a joke as you may have intended it to. Words mean something, and as I said, we can't read your mind.

And yes, they do often call us Puddle Pirates. And that does not offend me.. cuz I often think of Sailors as Squids. I can say it because I was in the Navy first then the Coast Guard.

CGr.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:09 AM
RC MANIAC119

I didn't take anything in this thread serious..........my comment was intended to keep this debate on the lighter side!!

EX-SQUID, AND PROUD OF IT..........SIR!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:18 AM
CGRetired

Ha.. Ok. No problem. I guess, as she said, it's all in the delivery. At times, it's easy to take things to seriously. So, no harm done, for sure.

I was on Nuke Subs in the 60's, wanted to go surface just to see something different, but they said.. once in Polaris, always in Polaris. So, I got out. Enjoyed my 22+ Coast Guard time, though.

CGr.

That Sir stuff.. was always hard to take after being enlisted for so long (15 + years). I often prefer Cheif.. ha.. even Chief Puddle Pirate
Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: RC MANIAC119
Radio systems are like women.........we each have our personal preferences, and no amount of trial and error can change what feels right.
I'd actually submit that this would be how they're DIFFERENT...maybe some of us have just done more trial and error than others.

========================================

Here are a couple of RCGroups threads on similar errors/situations:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574528

and

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558509

Hopefully one of those might help.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:17 PM
mjfrederick

In order to do trial and error, you have to have an error first. I've never once had radio failure in any way shape or form with my Futaba equipment. When I first started flying I was using a very old Kraft system, and had a problem when one of the servos shorted out in flight, but the system was 20 years old at the time... we just switch to all Futaba after that. Again, not trying to say it's better as a matter of fact. Just pointing out that I personally have never had a problem with it, so there's no reason for trial and error. I think 99% of what is blamed as "radio failure" or "interference" is really operator error anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.