Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 SUCKS!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Hanger 9 SUCKS!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:55 PM
greg d
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hanger 9 SUCKS!!!!!

I feel very bad for hangar 9 having to see this thread now for days its really unfortunate.I own several of their planes and have always been satisfied,what a shame!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:26 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to ask a really dumb question here in hopes we can get to the "cause" of the mishap. As now I have seen two different people state the same problem.

Were you both using EZ connectors on your elevator? (the rod goes through and a set screw secures it)

If you are that is the problem. I never use them on elevator or ailerons. They are notorious for loosening then sliding and guess what NO CONTROL. It will appear tight even after the crash but the pressure over the surface can move it. quite easily.

I use a zbend at the servo and some type of adjustment at the surface. Rock solid that way and will not slip. Then the only way it can fail is if the servo dies. If that servo moves the surface will move no matter how much pressure is there. I have flown lots of airplanes that exceed 120 mph verified on a radar gun on standard servos. most trainers fly in the 40-60 mph range.

Vibration is the cause. It can cause them to loosen. I have also had the nylon backs come off. I only use metal clips.

I only use ez connectors on rudder and throttle. for rudder just the nose gear in a trike setup because of the abuse a nose wheel takes. A little slippage there can save a servo.

Throttle is no big deal if it does not come back to idle I fly the plane until it runs out of fuel and do a "dead stick" landing.

Our clubs frown on ez connectors on elevator and ailerons. for precisely the reason I listed above. If you have these on your plane for a "public" event the inspectors will not allow you to fly period.

This policy is for nitro and gas models. It is a safety issue.

This may get to the "Control loss" issue. Just a thought.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:40 PM
laganm21

Well i would be happy with hanger9 if they would do the right thing, I know all of yaw are like he's a rookie and he just crashed his plane, well guys i have been racing for a long time in 10th to 1/5th scales and I know my way around all batt servos rx problems, as of one post on here I did not know what a striped servo was, will I do and I know you can still have some control with a striped servo, but when it hit the sweet spot it just does not move with the TX, and yeah it happen in my crash, its just funny how every servo works on the plane BUT THE ONE In question, Hummm, maybe Im telling the truth and there really was a problem with hanger 9 product ( oh god get Jesus on the line i just dissed hanger 9) Some people on here calmed me down and said its cool just rebuild its happens to all of us, They where cool and where willing to help me out , But then some say I just crash my plane I had no idea what i was doing, and say just leave the hobby, well I know what I think of yaw
Old 04-30-2010, 11:50 PM
laganm21

as for RCER88 the links where just the nylon push pins that came with the plane, You know the little white one you just push togeather and they snap, looked a little flimsy but I thought it was what every one used,
Old 04-30-2010, 11:54 PM
RCER88

A stripped gear in a servo could cause the problem. ABSOLUTELY!! I almost lost a plane when the aileron servo stripped. Thank god I had LOTS of rudder. I regained control using the rudder and landed it!!!

Needless to say that plane was done for the day.

I am not dissing anybody here I am throwing out possible causes. With twenty plus years experience I have seen and did many things so I have made and learned from my mistakes. If my advice saves one persons plane because they changed from a EZ connector to some type of "Hard" connection. Then my wisdom has been passed on.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:02 AM
laganm21

well for the people that care , I put my RX in a ziplock bag of rice for a day and now it working fine, and when I said the engine block was cracked it was just the remote high speed needle mount that was cracked, I cleaned all the mud and dirt out of the engine and she purrs like a kitten, So im all good on the engine and the TX and RX, so now Im just out a Plane, so some good news
Old 05-01-2010, 12:07 AM
laganm21

as for RCER88 Im not calling you out you have not been a ass and u where trying to help I would like to know the little links you where talking about can you send me a link?
Old 05-01-2010, 12:12 AM
RCER88

If you are talking about the where the wire is bent 90 degrees and a nylon clip then goes over the end and then clips on the rod. Those are a "Hard" connection. No problem. I have used them. They work good.

I have not insulted anybody here. Crashes can be caused by many things. I never once said you did anything wrong. I have seen brand new servos fail. I have seen battery packs fail on maiden flights in the plane and/or the transmitter. I have stripped servos. I lost one plane many years ago because I used a EZ connector on elevator. I have seen receivers fail in a single channel. I have pulled up elevator while I was inverted just inches above the ground.

I try to diagnose EVERY mishap I have so I can learn from my mistake. God knows I have made a bunch. You asked WHY did it happen. I am throwing out possibilities based on experience nothing more nothing less.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:24 AM
laganm21

thanks RCUR88 but yeah I was using the little white Nylon links, but the servo is striped and it olny moves at like 10% throw, yes I have playing with the plane, and as some said you can just throw trainners around like sport planes, but I was being a Little ruff on her but nothing bad, and BOOM no up or down control just stuck at down, and U know what happen next
Old 05-01-2010, 12:29 AM
daisy shoot

Hangar 9 most likely thinks you suck too!

It really doesn't strike me as that hard of a repair....
Old 05-01-2010, 12:33 AM
laganm21

and yeah I have bought some cheap china model car and truck before and yes you all ready know the servos are junk and replace them as soon as they arrive , but I thought hanger 9 was like HPI in the plane world and was good stuff but I quess I should of went with the tower trainer because It seem to be better built from factory, but what the hell The alpha taught me how to fly and lasted 8 flight, I just sure hope the next plane last longer than this
Old 05-01-2010, 12:37 AM
RCER88

Here is a picture of my Sig Kougar insides. A EZ connector is the lone servo see the wire going through and the allen style head? That is my throttle. This plane has adjustments on both ends so I can "fine tune it" This plane flies over 100 mph easy with its Rossi 45 for power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44761.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1428705  
Old 05-01-2010, 01:00 AM
RCER88

For those interested the servos are Futaba 148's on rudder and elevator and s3000 Old tower hobbies on throttle. In my Kougar. Nothing fancy.

Generally You CAN toss trainers around. A servo failed. That happens. You can replace the servo or get a gear kit for it and replace the gears. In the kit you get ALL Gears. make sure you replace them ALL. then move that servo to rudder or throttle. Until you can trust it. (if ever)
Old 05-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Korps

lagan, it's up to you wether you let some posts/opinions discourage you. Hardly anybody said you can't fly or it was your fault. We weren't there so there is no way in which we can with all honesty say what happened. I think you should look at some points which were made in this thread and take that to learn from.

Like many others have said - that looks repairable. Take the time, whether you decide to buy a new plane or not, learn how to rebuild - this is an excellent opportunity. You will definitely be needing it in the future.

Things happen in flight - things which seemed fine on the ground. This is part of the hobby. I saw a guy crash a Hangar 9 Ultimate 46% (which is quite a couple of bucks) - top notch servos and everything - only because the throttle lagged that instant (wasn't even a second), he was in a prop hang and too low - nothing could be done. Whose fault is it? His or the engine? There is NO WAY where you can say what the exact cause was for the plane going down. Yes, you can speculate and you might be correct - but still you can't really prove it 100%. Take some of the things people warned you about in here and learn from that - even if it had nothing to do with your case.

The top pilots crash - it's part of this wonderful hobby we find ourselves in. Some are mechanical and some are pilots error. It does not help to go and blame the manufacturers for this - I think this is what upset some of the people who posted on here and which lead to their opinions on you. If you wish to take their comments to heart then that is your decision, but I would prefer to let it slip past me.

Hope you fix your plane and that you still have many flights in your future.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

I've been an r/c flyer over 25 years, and had taken a few years off recently, getting back into the hobby to get into electric warbirds and ...sigh....helicopters >
Anyway I stumblen on this post and WOW.
You got some awesome advise,feedback and offers to help bud, what a great bunch of guys.
It reminds me of why I love this hobby so much.
Hangar 9. You'll wind up being a customer of theirs in the very near future, I'll bet. We are currently blessed by having some companies that just bend over backwards to help their customers, and their distributor leads the way in '"above and beyond".
Guys like you with significant high performance r/c car experience ? You are VERY fast learners to airplanes, you have the "left-right" and control reversal down hard. If you weren't bored with the Alpha you would've soon been. So, the second airplane, the low/shoulder wing types that are so much more agile but have mellow low speed manners are just what I'd suggest too. Regardless of level of skill they are always good for a flyer to have in the stable because they are so versatile and low stress to fly, but capable of about anything by just adding a little more control throw and/or power. So good choice, there are a lot of good ones.
Those Ultra Stick series planes can be a blast, the Goldberg Tiger and planes with similar lines and specs
What one of the guy wrote about having to build your ARF is so true, and the experienced aircraft types at your field and here can help you out there, it's flat worth it. Once you have thet down you will have a nearly zero maintenance airplane.
Get one and post what you get before you start assembly and I promise you you'll get a list of things to modify inexpensively or free that'll produce a very rugged,dependable airplane. Doug
Old 05-01-2010, 10:26 AM
laganm21

Thank doug47 Yeah I know I need to learn how to rebuild and a guy on here posted to help me out, So ill see him next nice weekend and I quess he will show me the ropes, But yeah Im happy that the engine and RX are still good, I cant wait to get another plane, I have an extra 3 blade prop that I bought with the plane, do yaw think I should stick with the 3 blade or go to a two blade for my next plane
Old 05-01-2010, 10:53 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

There isn't anything wrong with 3-blade props, generally speaking, but the 3-blade props made for the Evolution TPS aren't the best. They're like 10.5x4, the pitch is very shallow to prevent the trainer from building up speed. Users often report that they are off balance, and require a good deal of effort to get balanced correctly.

You might try picking up a couple of Master Airscrew 10x7 three blade props for your Evolution TPS. You'll like the extra power and performance.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=MAS1070T

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAA34&P=ML

Best of luck getting back in the air. Just remember, if these were easy, then everyone would be doing it!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:50 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Hey lagan,

If you're still planning on dropping by Saturday, don't buy any props.  I've got DOZENS of ever size range you can imagine that you're welcome to sort through...and if we STILL can't find one, well, there's always PAC  
Old 05-01-2010, 12:29 PM
laganm21

hey gboulton I just had an extra prop hanging around , just to make sure the engine still worked , but yeah lets plan on next weekend to meet up
Old 05-01-2010, 12:35 PM
slick69

I totally agree with getting rid of the plastic harware. Plastic will fail alot sooner than any metal will. The best thing you can do is just what you started doing, go thru your engine & tx & rx & servos. The electrics & engines are what get expensive in this hobby. Like I tell people that get started in this hobby"it not getting started that cost you it's the crashing that will cost you" but you will learn so much by rebuilding the crash ones & start looking at planes in a hole other aspect of where there weakness are. Cheap planes are ok but make sure you beef them up in the area's that need it. Anyway stay with it & all will be good. Like I said in an earlier post there are lots of us out there that have been there & sone that & will help anyway we can.... Happy Flying!![8D]
Old 05-01-2010, 03:59 PM
dohcboosts

I have the Pulse 125 XT and it was one of the first that have had the stab failure. There are other members on the site that can confirn the same thing. I lost mine on the fifth flight. But I now have a new Pulse with the redesigned tail. Hangar-9 took good care of me. Call them, they WILL make it right!

Jason
Old 05-01-2010, 05:48 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: laganm21

hey gboulton I just had an extra prop hanging around , just to make sure the engine still worked , but yeah lets plan on next weekend to meet up
Presuming anyone can GET to this part of the state. Holy COW.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:15 PM
chase67
My Feedback: (35)

Incredibly interesting thread.....Im a Hobbyshop owner in Ohio and I would agree that a call to Horizon would go a long way to either a replacement or a discount towards another one. The people there are great to work with. Too the second issue of repairs, Im amazed at the number of disposable airplanes in this Hobby. In fact it's getting very hard to just buy a kit. I power drove my Sport 40 into the ground three years ago and just got around to fixing it last week......no better feeling than a rebuild. PS make sure you check your balance!!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:25 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: laganm21

Yeah that is where I bought the plane at
If the whole thing is a Hanger 9 product (servos included), they should stand behind this and give you a new set-up. Have you called Customer Service?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:59 AM
laganm21

No I am going to call Customer Service on Monday, But should I call Hanger 9 or horizon Hobbies, I bought the plane At a local Hobby shop, I have not messed with any of the servos on the plane, I wanted to tear apart the servo in ? but I would think They would want me to send it in for them to look at, so I never open it, you can feel the striped part on the servo thats all i need to know , But Ill give them a call and if all goes well ( Ill take back my commit about hanger 9 suckin )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.