Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 SUCKS!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Hanger 9 SUCKS!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 03:37 AM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hanger 9 SUCKS!!!!!

Call Horizon, they are Hangar 9 essentially.

I've followed this thread from the beginning, I'm not going to tell you you crashed, and I believe you that the plane servo failed. However, I am going to ask you why you feel a reputable company sucks because of one failure when you haven't even bothered to call them and ask for assistance yet. No matter how good a company is they cant be perfect. These planes are manufactured in a factory that more or less mass produces them. In any factory setting some quality rejects get missed, its a fact. The people that work in that factory are human, they make mistakes.

Bottom line no company has a product line that has zero failure,s not one. What makes a company good or not is their willingness to stand behind the product, a factor you haven't even attempted to discover about H9. You simply assume they suck because a servo failed. No call to them, no chance to fix the defect, just a "You suck". I'm damn glad I didn't do any work for you because with that kind of liability I sure don't want you as a customer...

Lighten up, give them a call, give them a chance to make it right. Then after you've done all that, honestly done it. Judge them for how they handle this situation. Remember, no one is perfect. Lord knows you have screwed things up in the past, I have, we all have. The real test is if they make it right, and if you make it right by them as well.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:29 AM
Korps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Adui here in the sense that any manufacturing company has slip ups in the production line every now and then. I work for a manufacturing company and even though the product may go out your factory without any visual defects it can still get defected outside in the owners hands. Some are definitely a production error, where others are purely customer error. This is what puts the plane manufacturing companies in such a terrible position, glad I don't work as a customer service rep for them, how do they know when it was costumer error and when it was purely a mechanical error which came out of the manufacturing line. There is however no harm done to call them and tell them about your problem. If they say the possible is too big to call it a fault on their part - so be it - then buy another plane.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:25 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Lagan,

EVEN if H9/Horizon just completely blows you off...go up to Danielle's and see if they'll go to battle on your behalf.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:30 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Adui

Call Horizon, they are Hangar 9 essentially.

I've followed this thread from the beginning, I'm not going to tell you you crashed, and I believe you that the plane servo failed. However, I am going to ask you why you feel a reputable company sucks because of one failure when you haven't even bothered to call them and ask for assistance yet. No matter how good a company is they cant be perfect. These planes are manufactured in a factory that more or less mass produces them. In any factory setting some quality rejects get missed, its a fact. The people that work in that factory are human, they make mistakes.

Bottom line no company has a product line that has zero failure,s not one. What makes a company good or not is their willingness to stand behind the product, a factor you haven't even attempted to discover about H9. You simply assume they suck because a servo failed. No call to them, no chance to fix the defect, just a ''You suck''. I'm damn glad I didn't do any work for you because with that kind of liability I sure don't want you as a customer...

Lighten up, give them a call, give them a chance to make it right. Then after you've done all that, honestly done it. Judge them for how they handle this situation. Remember, no one is perfect. Lord knows you have screwed things up in the past, I have, we all have. The real test is if they make it right, and if you make it right by them as well.
Adui, I do agree with you on everything but one. I believe he has screwed up as well as you and everyone else, But I have not! I just wanted to set the record strait for those that did not know that!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:35 AM
gboulton

ORIGINAL: hairy46
Adui, I do agree with you on everything but one. I believe he has screwed up as well as you and everyone else, But I have not! I just wanted to set the record strait for those that did not know that!
Well...you hadn't, anyway, right up until then.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:52 AM
hairy46

OOPS! I have to plead insanity! Shoot I made my first mistake on the day I was born, I was breach! And it had not gotten any better!
Old 05-02-2010, 02:02 PM
gboulton

Personally, I've only ever made one mistake.

It was one time i thought I was wrong about something...but I was mistaken.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:20 PM
hairy46

Honestly my first one was I was born to poor parents! I could have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth instead of a rusty shovel up my bleeeep! I married three times, three really big mistakes except my kids was a sure a wonerful blessing! And now the grandbabys I am in love with! I still stand behind the fact I have never made one mistake, Shoot I have made millions of them!
Old 05-02-2010, 03:20 PM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: laganm21

I can see what you are saying, but when I first got the plane I went to the flying field with a instructor and he took me up and trimmed out the plane for me, he was bringing the plane in for a landing nice a smooth, and the front nose wheel fell off, I mean he is a trainer and he taught me how to fly, and when he lands picture perfect the plane's nose gear breaks, I mean something is not right here. after we fixed this problem, he finished teaching me how to fly, i took to it very easy and flying solo in an hour, so from day one the plane had issues from the factory, do you think i can call hanger 9 and ask them about it ?
laganm21,

I have only read the post upto this point...The nose wheel coming off caught my eye...

I have been flying plane since 1985. I built and maidened my wife's trainer in 2005...I would say I have some good experience...Guess what? On the maiden, the nose wheel fell off. I caught this while making a pass straight down the runway to see how it handles slow. I was able to pull the nose up, land on the mains and slowly lower the nose...Finally when the front gear hit the runway, it gently flipped over on it's back...No real damage...

Now, the plane was a Hobbico Superstar 60...What went wrong...I assume in attaching the front wheel I made a mistake. Either didn't get the set screw tight or forgot the lock-tite. I also forgot the little piece of fuel line I cut and slip on to prevent the wheel from coming off just in case this happens...

I watched a guy flying in a Pattern Contest have his elevator get stuck in the down position...About a $3,000 to $5,000 plane. Aside from the fact that he landed it inverted with a couple of scratches on the fin and canaopy, he never blamed the equipment. What he did ws looked at the plane and found that the control linkage had actually got tangled up and locked the elevator in the down position. Very tough to find and had have the perfect control inputs on both surfaces to make it happen. Fixed the problem and won the contest.

Moral of the story, the folks I mentioned have many years of experience, yet still experienced the same things with different equipment and planes...

As tough as it might be to take, I suspect both may be related to how it was assembled and not the fault of the equipment.

Did you test the servo since the crash? Did it work?

Personally I have witnessed less than 1% of all crashes ended up being the result of the equipment.

Talk with the H9 folks, but be respectful. This thread doesn't help your case in getting H9 on your side. I have built a few H9 kits and have been great builds as well as other brands...

Also, I agree...It is probably repairable. I have seen some planes I thought was completely destroyed on to be put back together and flown another day...

I'll continue reading the rest of the posts...

Larry
Old 05-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Korps

I think Larry has put this situation into a very good perspective. His post, I think, sums it up perfectly. Like I said in my first post - there is just too many variables to consider.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:46 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

I posted earlier in this thread, extolling the virtues of rebuilding after a crash. Well, yesterday I was flying my 48" electric Super Sporter with some friends - perfect conditions, play was flying beautifully - and I crashed it. Was gliding in and hung a 180 that was just a bit too sharp and tip-stalled it. Could not pull it up in time. The nose broke off and the left wing is broken clean off at the fuse. Had been a new, unblemished plane. In the past I would have been upset, and embarrassed. But the great thing was I realized that I wasn't really upset, cause I knew I could fix it. And I knew the crash was my fault. So now looking forward to the repair and also have a lesson learned about turning at slow speed.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 AM
gboulton

Hey gang...

Anyone who's thinking of suggesting lagan calm down a bit, talk to H9, and should really consider a rebuild...

Please read the entire thread. lagan has already said he has done those things, or made plans to do them. Let's cut the guy a little slack, ok??

==============

On a completely different note, lagan, I hope you and yours are ok up there!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Adui

ORIGINAL: gboulton

Hey gang...

Anyone who's thinking of suggesting lagan calm down a bit, talk to H9, and should really consider a rebuild...

Please read the entire thread. lagan has already said he has done those things, or made plans to do them. Let's cut the guy a little slack, ok??

==============

On a completely different note, lagan, I hope you and yours are ok up there! [img][/img]
Agreed, and I have read the entire thread as I said. However, I owe Lagman an apology, my post was made in direct response to this post:

No I am going to call Customer Service on Monday, But should I call Hanger 9 or horizon Hobbies, I bought the plane At a local Hobby shop, I have not messed with any of the servos on the plane, I wanted to tear apart the servo in ? but I would think They would want me to send it in for them to look at, so I never open it, you can feel the striped part on the servo thats all i need to know , But Ill give them a call and if all goes well ( Ill take back my commit about hanger 9 suckin )
I misread it somehow, and thought he was reiterating his first comment about H9, not agreeing to recant if they do him right. So,

Laganm21, I apologize for coming on so strong.

I do understand being miffed when something goes wrong. I am not normally one to jump on the flame wagon, but as I misunderstood your post, and as you'd been saying several times you were going to give em a chance I had to say something. Too bad I was wrong..

Good luck, and good flying!

(PS build a Spad, [>:] more bounce for the ounce as one Spadder likes to say![sm=bananahead.gif] )
Old 05-03-2010, 11:44 AM
DRC1

ORIGINAL: gboulton

Hey gang...

==============

On a completely different note, lagan, I hope you and yours are ok up there!
OK...Just got caught up...Man some of the comments...LOL

For the China comment, this is funny...Almost everything is built in China, just look for the little decal on the radio equipment or in the manual. Many ARF's I know of are made in China...So China isn't the problem, although I do question their commitment to quality...

The Servo Gear appears to be verified that it's stripped...Many root-causesfor this to happen. Most likely some outside force causing it other than a manufacturing defect (although it can't be ruled out). Here are some things to ponder and look at. Not saying these are all inclusive or placing blame on a person:
IMHO in order of most likely to least likely -
1) Crash
2) Handling of the airplaneand bumping a control surface.
3) Flutter, which can even be caused by an underpowered plane
***Power Dive
***Improper assembly,too wide a gap, or loose control linkage
4) Over loading the control surface
***Power Dive
***Too small a servo (if RTF probably not the case)
5) Hard Landing
6) Manufacturing Defect

There are also many other things that contribute to loss of a control surface. I lost my old faithful, well because it was an old faithful. I didn't check anything prior to flights because it has been so reliable for eight years...You know, gas and go...

It's last flight was due to the elevator loosing control. Honest root cause, the linkage was worn and came off the control horn...

Why have I made these two posts? Not to flame anybody, but to try and open up minds to understand what may have contributed to the failure. Perhaps a good learning is a good preflight ataminimumprior to the first flight of the day...

Lagan says that he has many years of experience with cars. I certainly can see that and the obvious jump is to planes. However, like most any other area of the R/C hobby some thing don't cross too well or everybody would be flying planes....I run cars as well...I don't check them like planes, well because the only time they land is when I ramp them...I expect something to break...

Like most crashes, nobody will ever know the actual failure. If we are aware of what can cause them, we can focus on preventing them as well...

Lagan said a call would be made to H9, hope it works out and I'm sure it will...Please let us know the outcome...

Ohhh, don't give up...It's a very rewarding hobby. I fly planes because golf was too expensive and frusterating...Oh, I was also asked to never return to a certain golf course on a Navy base in San Diego...
Old 05-03-2010, 06:35 PM
laganm21

Well guys I call horizon hobbies today, they where nice and asked me to send in the plane for a inspection, So ill send it in tommorrow and see what happens, they did ask for the proof of purchas, But guess what I lost the damn reciept go figure, I cant find it anywhere, do you think I can call the LHS tommorrow and see if they can print out one, I paid with cash so I cant use my debit card statement, do hobby shops keep these kinda files on record ?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well guys I call horizon hobbies today, they where nice and asked me to send in the plane for a inspection, So ill send it in tommorrow and see what happens, they did ask for the proof of purchas, But guess what I lost the damn reciept go figure, I cant find it anywhere, do you think I can call the LHS tommorrow and see if they can print out one, I paid with cash so I cant use my debit card statement, do hobby shops keep these kinda files on record ?

If your local hobby shop values you as a customer it would benefit them to make you another
recept so that it can be sent with the plane.

What's the old saying "Ask & Ye shall receive"! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Bill D.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:51 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

The hobby shop should have a record of the purchase if it was not too long ago. Even if they do not, they should be able to produce validation of purchase for you to give Horizon Hobbies and if there are any questions you could have your hobby shop call them to give additional verification of purchase.

You know Quality Control just isn't what it used to be and everything you buy today will need a close inspection before you use it. It is just a fact that we have to live with. I know when I buy anything that is mechanical or has moving parts, etc., I do a thorough inspection and make sure everything is working to standards. That way I can handle all problems during the warranty period and there are really no questions asked.

Also, keep all your boxes, purchase receipts and a good digital camera is a must have! In today's techno-world you can email pictures that will assist in a big way with warranty claims. You have to think about how dealers deal with tons of false claims and such. Just imagine how much of this they have to deal with on a daily basis and yet we want them to be sugar sweet with us.

People try to scam them on plane parts all the time and don't think they do not know it. If we are sympathetic and understanding with them it can go a long way towards getting our needs fulfilled. Honestly, they pay for a lot of things they should not be paying for.

Another thing that helps is to build a good long lasting relationship with them and they will see you for a person of integrity and when you call you WILL get service. Most of the time you will get to know someone there first-hand and can call them direct. That makes all the difference and you do not have to go through all the "extra" processes just to get info.

At any rate, I hope you get some assistance.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:27 AM
laganm21

Well guy horizon did nothing about it oh well Im over it , But i Got got a new plane in today, I orderd the hangar 9 cherokee 40, and man let me tell ya, this thing is suppost to be an ARF kit, but there is alot of work that has to be done, witch is good I need to learn how everything works anyways, and plus I enjoy building the plane, so hopfully Ill be back in the air on sunday, I got about 6 hours in it so far and it look like it will take another 6 to complete
Old 05-27-2010, 10:03 AM
DRC1

Well guy horizon did nothing about it oh well Im over it ...
Just curious on what Horizons take was? Did you send the plane and parts to them?

LLD
Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Laganm - The Cherokee 40 looks cool. Like the 62" wingspan. And I love flaps. What kind of engine\prop are you putting in it?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 AM
laganm21

I sent the plane in but they said the striped servo could not be linked to hangar9 fault, they said it was something that anything could of caused, And (Microndon2) the plane is not going to wast, I going to use the Evo .46 engine off the alpha in the new plane and all servo extender, and some odd and ends for spare parts , so all in all Im happy I got a good looking plane for 100 bucks, and believe me I got new SERVOS to go in the new plane LOL
Old 05-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Korps

Well lagan - some you win some you loose. As long as you don't let it get you down, that's all that matters. Glad you got a new plane - and ANOTHER Hangar 9?[X(] hehe sorry couldn't resist. Enjoy it - the Cherokee is a very nice looking plane - I have never flown one - but if looks could kill...all Cherokees would be totaled into the ground on maiden...well that doesn't make any sense - oh well
Old 05-27-2010, 11:09 AM
hairy46

I just finished the Hangar 9 Spitfire put a Saito 100 and Sopwith Camel a Magnum 91 and very happy with both airplanes! Really nice planes, Love the Britts world war 1 and 2 planes! Yes it would be hard to prove what caused the striped servo, My last crash I striped two. And it was a very repairable crash! But try and move forward and let the great ARF's they build speak for themselfs! Good luck with the new plane!
Old 06-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Roo Man

ORIGINAL: gpgt90

Both Danielle's and PAC RC are great places to shop. You can't go wrong at either place. I love H9 and have had many of their planes. But, another option for your second plane is the Great Planes Escapade. It's $99 and is a fantastic ''inexpensive'' sport plane.

I just found Daniell's this last Sat. What is the address of PAC?

Gary
Old 06-13-2010, 11:16 PM
DRC1

ORIGINAL: Roo Man

I just found Daniell's this last Sat. What is the address of PAC?

Gary
http://www.pac-rc.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.