Notices
Digital Video (DV) & Video Editing Software Discuss the use of digital video which we use to show our rc stuff off on the web. Talk about products, editing software, tips, ratings, rendering to the web, etc

Firewire?

Old 02-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Sprink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firewire?

Hi,

I got a camcorder for Christmas, and have been downloading the vids I have been making to my PC. However the picture often drops out, and I believe that the USB conection to the camera is not quite upto handling the data. I have heard stuff about Firewire, but know nothing about it. Can anyone help? What is it, and what do I need if it is worth having.

Thanks
Nick
Old 02-09-2005, 05:38 PM
SERAFIM

Default RE: Firewire?

Does your camera have a firewire connection? If so, then all you need is a firewire card for your PC. If you are running windows xp you most propably need no drivers, windows will recognize your camera and you can use any program you want, for example Windows movie maker, to download your movies.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

What he said. I think the camera has to be firewire equiped. A firewire card for the PC is pretty cheap. I have one from Pinnacle Systems that includes both firewire and Analog I/O.
My Sony camcorder came firewire equiped and works flawlessly.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:28 AM
J_R

My Sony cam has both USB and firewire connections. Initally, I tried the USB connection. It wasn't great and dropped frames. I looked on Sony's site and, sure enough, there was an updated driver for USB. It works great.

HOWEVER, the files were smaller than I expected, and on fruther review of the info on Sony's site, it turned out that files downloaded with firewire are twice the resolution. So... off to the computer store to buy a firewire card. They are pretty inexpensive (under $40 US). Firewire cards have 6 pins and the cam, only 4. You will also need a firewire cable. If the camera is a 4 pin connector, you need a 6 pin to 4 pin cable. (Some firewire devices use the other two pins, which provide power to the device). The cable cost almost as much as the card. Some makers sell them together in kits.

Under Windows XP, install the card and Windows will pick it up as new hardware and supply the driver. The wizard will run. Just follow the directions.

The driver for your camera may or may not be supplied by Windows. Install the software that came with your camera, in any case. Then go to the website of the cam maker and look for updates to the programs and install any you find.

Note: technically, USB 2 is supposed to be a faster connection. In fact, for many things, including cams and hard drives, firewire is faster.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Sprink

Thanks for the advice so far.

It is a Sony Handycam that I have. I should have mentioned that up front. It has three outputs, an A/V, the one I use with the USB cable, and a third, which is "iLINK". I assume that it is this third we are talking about.

My PC is running windows XP sp2 (I have been using the Movie Maker that comes with it).

So from what I gather from above, I need to get a firewire card and a cable, and I should be in business.

Thanks
Nick
Old 02-11-2005, 02:24 AM
J_R

iLink = firewire = IEEE 1394 (all the same thing, using different trademarks)

Be sure to check the Sony site for the newer driver. It will be under support for your camera model. That should take care of your USB problems. You might also check that your computer is using USB 2. USB 1.1 will not handle the download.

You will need to read the instructions that came with the cam regarding getting the video onto the computer using firewire. It's not as straightforward as using USB.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Sprink

Thanks J R, very helpful.

As my PC is nearly 3 years old now, fairly sure that it is not USB 2!

I have been looking round, seems I can get a card which combines 4 USB 2 ports with 2 Firewire ports. Think I will get one of them, as the 2 USB ports I have at the moment is not enough anyway.

Thanks
Nick
Old 02-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Huntster

I also have the Sony Handy cam. The Fire wire connection is much faster than the USB! Now that it works fine I need a bigger hard drive.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:03 PM
J_R

Hi Nick

You also need to make sure your USB controller card will handle USB 2. Go to control panel and chose system. Chose the hardware tab, then chose device manager. One of the last devices will be Universal Sieral Bus Controllers. Click the + sign. Look for the word "enhanced" or USB 2. You can right click on any of the drivers and chose properties. Still looking for enhanced or USB 2.

If it is not there, you may need to get someone to check your machine before spending any more money.

As flyinghunster says, the next thing is a huge hard disk... then a capture card (maybe a TV card) and a DVD burner, a faster processor, etc. etc. . It just keeps sucking up money . Sometimes, you are better off biting the bullet and buying a new machine. Don't nickle and dime yourself to death trying to upgrade. As a way of deciding, look at the system requirements for commercial software and see if your machine meets the recommended, not minimum, requirements.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Sprink

Just when I thought I was getting somewhere...

Ok, can't find "enhanced" or "USB 2" anywhere. Have dropped an email to the company selling the USB and Firewire card I am interested in, so hopefully that will help.

As for other upgrades, planning on getting the DVD-rw as well. That should do it for now. Hard drive is 40g, 37 is free currently, so ok there. Not yet loaded any software that my PC does not meet recomended requirements, though some are getting close. I did get the fastest processor and biggest RAM available when buying the PC.

Thanks
Nick
Old 02-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Sprink

Well, popped into the LHS today, and there was a computer store oposite, so went in there too. Now proud owner of a Firewire and USB 2 port card.

All installed and running well. Thanks for the help guys. [8D]

Now all I have to do is learn how to make good videos [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 02-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Main thing for shooting good videos is having a LOT of raw footage to work with. Cant edit out what you dont have. I have found that unless you are filming some 3D stuff close in, set the camcorder focus for infinity.
Main problem I run into is that I am both the best pilot and cameraman when my dad and I fly.
Wish my dad was a better cameraman... I have an amazing amount of footage of the ground at his feet.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:06 PM
racetruck

If it was me I would put in a biger hard drive.I just run 20 mins. of vidio and used 10 gig of memory I run windows 2000 900mhz. I run Roxio easy cd & dvd creator version 6 it will do live video you can run the cam from the roxio screen don't have to touch the cam. I'am new to the video thing still playing the software so far it has been easy good picture. I use the 1394 firewire more later
Old 03-21-2005, 02:30 AM
ChixwithTrix
My Feedback: (8)

so pretty much what this means is with Firewire, when uploading the vid it will be of better quality than when uploaded w/USB 1.1?
Old 03-21-2005, 09:45 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no. not better quality. firewire will move video to the drives faster than usb 1.1. It is a faster interface. quality will be the same.

sort of like moving a 10GB file over 10MB ethernet or 100MB ethernet. Same file at the end just takes much longer on 10MB/sec
Old 03-22-2005, 12:48 AM
vypr
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

no. not better quality. firewire will move video to the drives faster than usb 1.1. It is a faster interface. quality will be the same.

sort of like moving a 10GB file over 10MB ethernet or 100MB ethernet. Same file at the end just takes much longer on 10MB/sec
Sorry(I didn't know earlier when I asked the question, but found out that is wrong), I know 1st hand now that uploading with Firewire IS better quality than USB 1.1. For over a year now I have been using USB to upload, today I bit the bullet and got a firewire cable and its a halluva lot better quality. USB seems to drop frames, and be more pixelated.

Maybe its just me, but I highly doubt it.

(oops, posting on another comp on the wrong name, this is chixwithtrix FYI)
Old 03-22-2005, 05:56 PM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

It depends on what you're doing with Firewire as opposed to USB 1.1.

If you are just transferring a digital file, then what Marc said applies. Same file at the end, but USB 1.1 takes way longer than Firewire.

However, if you are capturing an analogue video source via USB 1.1 versus Firewire, then yes, you will see a difference in the resulting file.

But that difference is because Firewire is a much faster protocol that USB 1.1 is. So, when capturing with USB 1.1, the resolution has to be turned down, and some frames may be lost because they couldn't be transferred fast enough.

...jim
Old 03-26-2005, 04:38 PM
Pigsmightfly

If you have background applications start up whilst transferring data by USB you get dropped frames etc as it shares your PC's resources, this isn't an issue with Firewire.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:07 PM
J_R

It may be different from manufacturer to manufacturer, or even cam to cam. The following is from the Sony Site:

IQ Knowledge Base Article C34179

What is the difference between video output using the i.LINKĀ® port versus USB streaming? SOLUTION: Both are used to capture video to the computer. However, i.LINK has a higher bandwidth and lower compression rate, so the image quality is better. The difference between video output using the i.LINKĀ® port and USB streaming are listed below:

ā€¢ i.LINK
Aspect Ratio: 720x480 pixels
Frames Per Second (FPS): 29.97

ā€¢ USB Streaming
Aspect Ratio: 352x240 pixels
Frames Per Second (FPS): 29.97

NOTE: The specifications above comply with the NTSC format.

http://129.33.22.8/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=123,E=0000000000498271771,K=5721,Sxi=6,Case=ob j(34179),TS=External,UseTemplate=response_case.tem