Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Slinger/Brushless

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 08:30 AM
Jobu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slinger/Brushless

I just bought and flew a Slinger from Great Planes...it is awesome. I had trouble with the rx, I think it might be too close to the motor. Does this sound like it makes sense?? Also should I solder capacitors on the motor.

Also does anyone know of an easy brushless upgrade with a link. I am flying 3s Kokam.

Thanks,

Joe

(e-mail me if possible.)
Old 09-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Mike Parsons

Default RE: Slinger/Brushless

You will get RF interference unless you have capacitors on a brushed motor. You will be suprised how much they help.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_21...tm.htm#2196847
Old 09-28-2004, 12:25 PM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Here is my Slinger

Mega 16/15/5
Kokam 3s 1500
MA 7x4 prop
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91670.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	177698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50213.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	177699  
Old 09-28-2004, 01:52 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out my [link=http://www.gregcovey.com/super_slinger.htm]Super Slinger[/link] review using a Kontronik Brushless 400 set.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Jobu

Awesome setup Greg. Nice review and video.

I can't believe how much I like this plane, I only wish I had bought it earlier and saved myself alot of time and money.

Did you glue the wing sections together? Why didn't you use the wing center keel?

I broke off one of the wing tips due to a crash from interferance. I was thinking of velco ing them on...do you think it would work?

Thanks for the reply, I am getting your recomendation for the Kontronic set up.

Joe

ps. (edited) I already have a Himax 2025 brushless setup with a Jeti 18 amp in another plane and was wondering if you think it would be an ok fit for the wing. It looks like it would fit with a little foam shim and wire tie.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Greg Covey

Joe,

I did glue the wings together and found that the extra keel was not needed.

Velcro will work fine for the tips. Use the Industrial Strength Velcro.

The Himax 2025 should work fine. It won't have as much power as the Kontronik 400 but should still beat out the stock Speed 400 by a longshot.

Good luck!
Old 10-01-2004, 04:47 PM
AgCat1982

Hi Jobu. I am trying to go brushless. I have the Jeti 18 and am having trouble picking a motor. I can't seem to get enough info about what type plane they will handle and how well they handle it. What weight plane did you have the Himax 2025 in?

My plane with a brushless motor and lipo's will weigh about 20-21 oz.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Jobu

agcats

Funny you should ask. I just put it in my Great Planes Slinger wing which I think is around 20-22oz. I had to weight the nose 1oz. It is very fast. I don't know why I switched it because it was fine with the stock motor, but it was just sitting there so...

I have put a 2015 which has about 20% less thrust than 2025 in a plane w/ flight weight of 17oz and it was more than plenty.

I have had good luck with them. The hardened drive shaft is tough...I nosed onto asphault and actually broke the alum spinned but the shaft is still straight.

I am still kinda new to this but I would say the 2025 would push-pull any 20-25oz with ease.
I have that same set up with the Jeti18. Its nice no soldering with gold connectors. The Himax is set up like that as well...plug and play, the are well mated.

Joe
Old 10-01-2004, 11:20 PM
AgCat1982

Thanks! I don't understand why, but, my Jeti 18 came with NO connectors![:@] The instruction sheet says they are on the ESC. I think I got shafted![:@]

You may have made up my mind for me.

Thanks again[8D]
Old 10-03-2004, 08:50 AM
Jobu

The connectors are pre-installed on the motor and a set comes with the Himax motor for the speed control.
I found matching connectors at Bishop Products website. www.b-p-p.com
sometimes you may need to lengthen the leads from the motor to the esc and these are very good connectors.

Joe
Old 10-14-2004, 03:03 PM
slcrcflyer

Use a Himax 2815 3000 it is the best speed 400 replacement that you can get for the money, the best is the Aveox 27/13/3 it is about $30 more but it is about 8mph faster. I have used these setups in the slinger and the zagi and it is a marked improvement over the stock setup.

The slinger will not last long stock with a brushless setup, the best thing to do is strip off the monokote and use strapping and packing tape it does weigh more but it will withstand the G's

For you working class people that can not or choose not to spend the bucks for lipos go to www.maxamps.com and order the 8 cell pack to use with you brushless setup they are cheapest place to get batteries on planet earth, with the aveox motor and the 8 cell pack you will be able to go 90mph+ in level flight, my flying buddies and I got a wedgie to do aprox 118mph [:@]
Old 10-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

Greg, I'm going with your setup on my Slinger, after watching the video, I'm grounding my 1/4 scale Laser project for a while, the plane flies awsome!, I just want to know, is there a subtitute prop for the 5.5X4.5, Hobby Lobby is out untill mid November[:@], what other prop adapter would work with this combo. I'm new to electrics, so this will take some time for me to sort out.
Joe[8D]
Old 10-19-2004, 08:27 PM
Joe Ortiz

Well, I broke down and bought the Kokam Setup, now I need to hide receipts[:@], I was planing on getting my 1/4 scale Laser going, but it looks like it will be next year, hehe, got to love this addiction. I'll post flight a report when done.
Joe[8D]
Old 10-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Jobu

Default RE: Slinger/ ...JOE

Hey Joe,
Funny with the receipts...I'm in the same boat, hehe.

I just picked up the Kontronic setup that Greg used too. I am balancing the plane right now.

It is a 3.2 mm dia. shaft on the motor, I picked up one of these...

MJ4702 COLLET PROP ADAPTER 3.2MM from www.hobby-lobby.com

If you cut the stock number and paste in the search box on the site...it should come up; otherwise look under prop adapters.

I am still a newbie but I recommend picking up a few wing tips too, I already broke 2 they're kind of brittle.

I think the prop is a 5"X 4.3 but check the writing on the stock prop to be sure. Any prop that size should work.

Also had problems with servos getting loose. And I seem to need alot of weight in the nose to balance wing.
I think that it is due to the lack of weight of the Kokam 11.1/1500mah batteries.

I had a Himax 2025 in the wing and it was insane, 70-80mph. I can't wait to see it now.

Good luck,

Joe
Old 10-20-2004, 09:30 AM
Joe Ortiz

Jobu, I picked up the motor and props from Tower, they were out of prop adapters, got it Hobby Lobby, but they where out of props.
Can't wait to get this plane flying.
Joe[8D]
Old 10-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Greg Covey

Hi Joe and Joe,

I sent you an e-mail on your CG problem. The Kokam 1500 pack is not a good choice here since the setup draws 20amps at full power. I am using the heavier 3-cell Kokam (15C) 2AH pack in my Slinger not the 1500 pack. The 2AH pack delivers 30amps continuous and packs way more power!

Regards.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Joe Ortiz

Also had problems with servos getting loose.
Jobu, I use caulking on my combat planes to secure the servos, I first wrap the servo in tape, then glue them in place with the caulk and a layer of tape over them if they don't fit tight in the slot, it works great!, and if you need to replace a servo, they come out without too much damage or just cut the tape thats around the servo.
Joe[8D]
Old 10-20-2004, 07:47 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I have been wanting make my slinger BL as well. How hard can one of the Himax 2025-4200 be pushed? I have an extra 2025 and a couple Tanic 2100 3 cell packs. I had read the 2025s are rated 175 watts. 20 amp draw would be putting it over 200 watts. Will it live?
Matt
Old 10-21-2004, 08:53 AM
Joe Ortiz

Well, I had to place another order with Tower[X(], this time for the Kokam 3C 2000mah battery, I contacted the LHS, and they couldn't beleive they made them that big, oh well, I try to support them when I can, but they don't stock much of rc plane stuff.
Joe
Old 10-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Greg Covey

Matt,

It should live if you keep your full throttle to short bursts like 5-10 seconds.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:56 PM
Jobu

Default RE: Slinger/Brushless/dweller

I had a 2025-4200 in my slinger...it was really fast. I would say close to twice as fast as stock, people in the park thought it was carrying Hellfires.

The good thing was that it was lighter than stock so it needed less lead in the nose. But I thought that due to the smaller diameter it would need to bo modified to get the motor up so the wing wouldn't rob as much airflow. My first attempt was a quick on the fly adaptation. I shimmed it up with some foam and an extra wire tie. It flew great but because the motor was actually insulated now, it got hot and melted the foam away.

The second time I glued two 3/16" X 2" bamboo sticks at the bottom of the motor compartment pointing for' to aft and that worked fine. Be sure that it still has the built in thrust angle (prop end higher than battery end) or it will never take off.

Also the motor will get pretty hot if you're flying fast but it will be such a dramatic difference you seriously won't need to keep the throttle up for long. 1/2 throttle is faster than stock.

Joe
Old 10-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Jobu

I have a question about my charger...while I have you guys here.

I have a Woreley lipo charger but the top settings for 3 or 4 cells is 1800 mah, Would the 2ah pack work on that setting or is it worth it??

thanks,
Joe
Old 10-22-2004, 07:30 PM
Joe Ortiz

WOOHOO!, got my Kontronics set up today, going to put this bad boy together, I hope I can fly it next weekend, the weather is turning crappy here in Colorado.
Hey Joe, I thought this plane was set up to fly right out of the box, is it because your motor that you had to adjust the thrust angle?, I went with Gregs setup. Can't help you the battery charger, I bought a Triton a while back, and never looked back, it's a well worth investment.
Joe[8D]
Old 10-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Joe Ortiz

Maiden the Slinger today, WOOHOO!, flies great, I added 1oz of weight to the nose, track pretty straight, it didn't seem to have a lot of speed, maybe 'cause it was too windy or the lipo did't have a full charge or mabe it need to be proped diffrent. I'll try again next weekend.
Joe[8D]
Old 10-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Jobu

I originally had a smaller diameter brushless and had to shim the motor mount to make it fit. I think this is where the thrust angle changed. I have since put in the Kontronic set up and it is fine. I flew it yesterday in 15-20mph winds. I couldn't wait any more. We haven't had the best weather here in Boston lately either. Needless to say we had a few gravitational casualties.

The wing did fly well considering, but was more nerve racking than fun so it was a quick couple of flights. The brushless motor seemed very fast but the wind and the small field we were on kept the flight pretty conservative.
I tried to do a light roll but it seemed to not want to stay on it's axis with dead left or right stick. I will mess around more when conditions allow.

I pancaked my GWS E-starter and blew out the rear gear and rudder. While my friend left behind a sobering debris field of Formosa Flakes.

The wing can definately stand up to the wind but you just can't fight Mother Nature.

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.