Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Charging four separate cells with EK2-0852 and general balanced charging question

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Charging four separate cells with EK2-0852 and general balanced charging question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Zbig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging four separate cells with EK2-0852 and general balanced charging question

Hi

I wonder if it's OK to charge four separate 3.7V Li-Poly cells using EK2-0852 balance charger. I would connect each cell to the separate channel (non-parallel) - like if they were single 4s pack with balance plug, that is:

cell 1: pins 1&2 of the 1st (left), 3-pole socket
cell 2: pins 2&3 of the 2nd, 4-pole socket
cell 3: pins 3&4 of the 3rd, 5-pole socket
cell 4: pins 2&3 of the 4th (right), 3-pole socket

Electrically, this setup should behave like the mentioned 4s pack with balance plug connected into third, 5-pole socket. But does it make any sense? I mean, is balance-charging of the 14.8V pack any different than charging four separate 1-cell batteries? The problem is, I don't understand what balance charging really is. By looking at the charging process and the individual LEDs turning green as the corresponding cells reach their cutoff voltage (during charging of two 2s packs), I guess that it's just it - treating each cell as separate and individually monitoring each cell's voltage in order to get maximum capacity from them. But maybe I'm wrong and there are some more complex correlations between individual cells in the pack taken into account, which I'm not aware of? Please explain to me, what this balancing stuff really is about :-)

Regards