Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

No steering control on BCX

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

No steering control on BCX

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 10:33 PM
dkme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No steering control on BCX

Hi all-

I'm the third owner of my BCX. After a few crashes, it barely responds to inputs for forward and lateral movement. The swash plate separated, but I glued it back together correctly. The lower rotor still shifts normally and the swash plate is working fine now. I've straightened the fly bar, checked the servos for correct centering, and toyed with the pushrod and fly bar linkages.

The lower rotor does get up to speed until about half throttle and I'm wondering if the motor is shot. I've checked the gears and they look fine. Has anyone experienced similar lack of control? I've noticed that when the heli is low to the ground, it is more responsive, maybe because the lower rotor is more effective under the ground effect. Thanks for any help.

dkme
Old 12-29-2006, 10:46 PM
soloboss

Default RE: No steering control on BCX

ORIGINAL: dkme

Hi all-

I'm the third owner of my BCX. After a few crashes, it barely responds to inputs for forward and lateral movement. The swash plate separated, but I glued it back together correctly. The lower rotor still shifts normally and the swash plate is working fine now. I've straightened the fly bar, checked the servos for correct centering, and toyed with the pushrod and fly bar linkages.

The lower rotor does get up to speed until about half throttle and I'm wondering if the motor is shot. I've checked the gears and they look fine. Has anyone experienced similar lack of control? I've noticed that when the heli is low to the ground, it is more responsive, maybe because the lower rotor is more effective under the ground effect. Thanks for any help.

dkme
I don't know if this is worth anything, but obviously the upper and lower rotor must go the same speed. You can bring each rotor to speed leaving the other stopped by moving the left stick fully right, then bring up the rpm - and then fully left , then bring up the rpm. This is effective for checking rotor speeds and it's really handy when you are looking for a bent shaft, as you can spin up the inner and outer shaft separately.
Solosboss
Old 12-29-2006, 10:57 PM
bladeCX1464

did you say you broke the swashplate and glued it back together?
Old 12-29-2006, 11:12 PM
bladeCX1464

also..is it the collective or cyclic that is giving you trouble?
Old 12-30-2006, 02:02 AM
dkme

Thanks for your replies.

Soloboss, I used your method for checking the speeds and they actually seemed to be about the same, so I was wrong about the lower rotor spinning up more slowly.

bladeCX1464, my swash plate separated but it the plastic itself didn't break. I glued the two halves back together after reading the different posts on the forum about separated swash plates, and it hasn't separated since (it works fine, no binding from excess glue).

Also, I'm having trouble with the cyclic, the heli barely moves forward/back, left/right when I move the right stick on the Tx. I just tested it out and my 4in1 was acting a little strange, I had to tap the right stick to it to light up green, but the cyclic problem is still there.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:01 PM
bladeCX1464

you may need to take the 4 in 1 out of the box its in..there are a couple screws on it..just take them out. the box comes in half and you just take the chip inside out...this can help trevent temperature overheating...also try lubing all the gears..this will help give you longer flight time and may cure your problem. what exactly happens if you dont touch the controls at all?
Old 12-31-2006, 01:44 AM
dkme

Thanks. As soon as I turn it on and spin up it just hovers, so I don't think its overheating (though I realize the mods will help otherwise). I've trimmed it so it stays pretty stationary. But it doesn't "snap" to inputs like it used to. The lower rotor shifts when I use the right stick, but the heli barely moves in the direction and also drifts a little (the drifting isn't serious, and I could trim it out if the lower rotor was effective). It's kind of like a hot air balloon. If I can get it going in some direction, it takes a a little for the heli to slow down and change direction. I'm thinking it could be the motor, or the 4in1. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:31 PM
neilt6

Is your flybar disconnected? If it is you won't be able to stop it from moving in some direction without opposite control.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:57 PM
bzinfinity

I could be wrong, but I am fairly sure they do NOT spin at the same speed.

Probably, this would explain why one rudder direction always seems faster than the others, since the motors torque should cancel each other out, unlike a single motor main rotor.

Just a thought, someone who has the tools to measure can call me out, or confirm.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:16 PM
dkme

My flybar is connected. I'm going to try and change the left motor to see if that works. If it's not that, I don't know what else it could be other than the 4in1. Has anyone else ever had weak response with the BCX?