Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Installing seperates in CP

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Installing seperates in CP

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:20 PM
IMAC781
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing seperates in CP

After getting spoiled by the GY401 in a T-REXSE I flew my Blade CP again and decided it also must have a HH gyro. I have the JR 7202 Tx for the REX so for the Blade I bought a Berg 7P Rx, G90 gyro and E-Flite 2-in-1 ESC/mixer. Tried to set it up like the REX but no go. All the servos operate and are connected CH1 to 2-in-1 thottle, CH2 to aileron servo, CH3 to elevator servo, CH4 to gyro, CH5 to gyro gain and CH6 to pitch servo. All servos are HiTecHS-55s. Selected 120 deg. swash. Reversed channels 2,3 and 4. After initializing with motors disconnected the 2-in 1 flashes alternating red and green. HELP PLEASE!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:27 PM
drphoto

Default RE: Installing seperates in CP

You can't do this w/ the 2n1. With a HH gyro you must not run any revo mix and this can't be turned off w/ the 2n1. Same problem w/ the old 4n1 of the original BCP.....the revo can't be turned off completely. You're only solution is to get a new 3n1 or go fully brushless and run separate ESC's. Sorry.

You can hack to 4n1 (see my post above in the "Best Blade Upgrade" thread) and run your Berg and the 55's, but you won't be able to use the external gyro.

(BTW....I bought the 2n1 trying to do the same thing. Luckily someone explained all of this to me before I installed so was able to return it)

Old 04-05-2007, 02:50 PM
IMAC781

the revo can't be turned off completely
drphoto, do you mean revo mix in the 2-in-1 or the revo funcyion in the Tx?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:52 PM
drphoto

Revo in the 2n1 unit. It can't be disabled.

W/ the stock 4n1, as you know it can be turned down to a certain degree, but not all the way off. They changed the code in the 3n1 on the pro model to allow it to be turned off completely.

Sorry man, it won't work.

And of course....don't run revo in your TX either w/ a HH gyro.

Try your bird w/ the upgraded radio and servos. You might find that it is so much better than the stock setup, you will find you can live without the external gyro, at least for awhile. I kinda like having to stay on top the tail a bit. I think it's good training. Of course, I was never flying any aerobatic stuff.

LMK if you need any other help.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:06 PM
IMAC781

Thanks drphoto, I understand now, you saved me much frustration. After flying the HH on my T-REX, just gotta have one on the CP. Anyway I already bought a G90 (with the 2-in-1[:@]). So I'll use a 3-in-1 and the HH gyro. Anyone want an almost new 2-in-1 for $30? I will pay shipping. PM if interested.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:28 PM
drphoto

Don't feel bad. Throwing money away is part of the fun. You wouldn't believe some of the bone head things I did.

You know I just realized, another option might be to to run 2 ESC for brushed motors....I'm almost certain that GWS makes them. I'll betch Helihobby has 'em.

Once you disable revo and the rate gyro in the 3n1, all you're left with are 2 ESC's in one box!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:05 PM
IMAC781

Don't feel bad. Throwing money away is part of the fun. You wouldn't believe some of the bone head things I did.
I bought the 2-in-1 on advise from Horizon product support [:'(]

You know I just realized, another option might be to to run 2 ESC for brushed motors....I'm almost certain that GWS makes them. I'll betch Helihobby has 'em.
I don't flame. But I will never trade with helihobby.com again. Check their SoCal BBB rating.

Once you disable revo and the rate gyro in the 3n1, all you're left with are 2 ESC's in one box!
Then how do you adjust TR yaw in rate mode? Tx CH5 travel adjust?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:19 PM
drphoto

I'm not sure sometimes if everone @ Horizon is really on top of things.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of beefs regarding helihobby. Only reason I mentioned ithem was I was pretty sure I remembered seing brushed motor controllers there. I found I liked dealing w/ GrandRc best of any of the online dealers, but they probably wouldn't carry something like that.

Ya got me stumped on the last question. Using two esc was really me musing out loud. I know the 3n1 thing will work.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:24 PM
mrasmm

here is the speed controller you will want for your tail motor if you decide to go complete seperates
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHUY2&P=7

Dunno about the main.

I wonder why horizon would sell you the 2 in 1... I guess they just don't know? I think that is messed up... you might try calling them and telling them that they recommended a part that wouldn't work.... or maybe they have a way to get it working somehow =P eitherway since they recommended/sold you the wrong part, they should have to fix it.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:34 PM
IMAC781

Thank youse both for gettin me going in the right direction
Old 04-05-2007, 06:40 PM
drphoto

It would be nice if they'd let you trade toward the 3n1. Never hurts to ask.

I went to the LHS when I got a 2n1 and G90 saying I was going to put in a BCP. The heli 'guru' there didn't tell me it wouldn't work. It was some kindly soul on one of the forums who saved me from that one. So I'm doing my 'pay it forward' bit here!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:04 PM
mrasmm

does the 2 in 1 have a mixer pot..? I can't really tell from the pics.

What is the 2 in 1 for... just a reg gyro, and not a HH gyro or something?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:06 PM
IMAC781

No! Maybe it's for a FP micro...
Old 04-05-2007, 08:34 PM
drphoto

yeah, I dunno what it's used for either. Eflite doesn't make a FP that I've ever seen. Actually, if I were their marketing manager, I'd drop the CP and bring out an FP as the bridge between the CX and the Pro. I think I'd also sell a deluxe edition of the Pro w/ a pre installed DX6!

When I was posting a lot here several months ago, I was always yammering on about how I thought FP heli were so much easier for newbs to fly than the CP machines. Plus they're much simpler to set up and take more abuse. I've got a Honeybee FP that I've augered in fairly hard and the only thing I ever break is the top rotor plate and that parts only $2. (well, I did chip up a number of tail rotor blades too, but their cheap too) Of course, they're not aerobatic, and they're nearly impossible to fly if there's any wind at all.

I dunno.....plank flyers usually start w/ trainers and then move up. Heli pilots seems determined to start w/ full on stunt puppies.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:54 AM
IMAC781

BTW I got the soon-to-be-mothballed 2-in-1 to arm. It was plugged into Rx backwards and the JR 7202 throttle trim had to be full down like on stock Tx.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:58 AM
mrasmm

good deal =)

have you tested it with your g90 to see if it works, or what it does? I would be curious to know (if it wouldn't cause any damage to your heli that is... maybe someone who knows more can give some advice). I contacted horizon just to see what they had to say about this issue, but they haven't replied yet.... I'll keep the group posted if they ever reply back to me =)
Old 04-07-2007, 12:53 PM
IMAC781

have you tested it with your g90 to see if it works, or what it does?
Not really...I could see it made TR spin in both rate and HH modes, there was a difference (wouldn't stop in HH until boom reoriented to original position). SEEMED to be OK. Horizon product support told me to flight trim rate mode with CH5 rate mode travel value and HH with Tx trim tab which makes sense to me. I am proceeding in my conversion to seperates with a 3-in-1 but may give the 2-in-1 another try if that is successful. This morning I set up the three swash throw values, throttle and pitch curves for normal, idle up 1, idle up 2 and throttle hold.