Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
Buy a Trex 450XL and build
25.00%
450SA and add parts to finish inc DX6 later
12.50%
Blade CP Pro and upgrade it too
6.25%
Upgrade my CP to full alum and max it out
6.25%
Buy a decent radio (DX6) and use it for CP and future helis
43.75%
Other (please explain)
6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

New heli

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:55 PM
DrunkYoda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New heli

I'm getting a bonus this week and I'm looking for a new heli, not necessarily ready to fly.

I chose 450 SA as my default choice so I am at 100% on 450 SA after my vote.

I have about $200. Should I:
Old 05-02-2007, 10:16 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New heli

Drunk Yoda, I am almost finished with my TREX build......waiting on helihobby to send me a replacement ESC, been almost 3 weeks now. I learned more in 12 hours of building about how helis work than in the previous 5 months of flying, and putting back together! I bought a kit from afore mentioned online vendor....... including the DX6 and 4 s75 servos. Just bought 3 hs65HB's today (shhhhhhhhhh) and will be getting the gy401 and 9650 after the upgraded frame is built! I am going to sell the DX6 in about 2 months after I get the TREX dialed in and get a Futaba 7 series or 9 series. They will also work the the Blade CP RX's.......... Using it now on my CP. (I have a Futaba 6EXH right now)
The DX 6 is limited in throttle curves and pitch.........3 point curves rather than 5........... But still....and interference free park flying radio from what I understand. Theres another option to consider....a Futaba or Hitec TX will work with the blade CP. Did I help any??

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost.............................................. ... I miss my mind the most!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:21 AM
Truglodite

a trex 450sa(e) would be nice to have. alas you are only on a $200 budget and would need a $200 dx6 or similar to complete it. also, a radio comes first on my list of "what a beginner should buy" list. i know it sounds boring and all, but i'll cast a reasonable vote for the radio.

-kev

[edit: hehe, i thought the dx6 had 5pt curves, but 3? that's pretty weak if you ask me. i guess i change my vote to a 9C. can i do that? ]
Old 05-03-2007, 11:30 AM
DrunkYoda

Well we're at 50/50 now, DX6 or build the XL, come on guys who haven't voted I need help. Don't want to have to go to that other forum, trying to stay loyal to the Blade folks.
DY
Old 05-03-2007, 11:53 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yoda........ if you buy the TREX kit, it will eventually FORCE you to buy a decent TX. However, if you want to have more input on what your Blade recieves and reacts...then go for the radio. I am not trying to downplay the DX6, But it is very limited as to what it will allow you to program. There is also the kits from online vendors that are worth looking into.
Have you picked the LHS's brains for any ideas or sweet deals??
You already know what the other forum will tell you Yoda! They will all say 450SE with gy401 gyro and hs65MG's and a Futaba 9650 tail servo along with the DX7. I would be willing to place a wager on that one. My guess is 60% of total posters in that forum will give that answer almost verbatim!

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Of all the things I ever lost......................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 05-03-2007, 01:50 PM
DrunkYoda

Can I get the DX6 use it's parts and just buy the TX itself later? I just don't have $400 for just the TX, I'd almost rather have a backup CP Pro for my CP and upgrade that. I understand that I'll need a tx for the trex, but I also know I'm not super happy with the performance of my blade, which is why I'm thinking about Trex. I feel more weight and slightly bigger will give me a better heli experience, not that the experiences I've had are all bad, I've heard and said many times if you can fly this you can fly any of them.

I'm also looking at the belt-cp, then I can still build but I can put more money into other stuff, like TX/RX, but then I'm stuck with availability issues for parts.
What do you think of the Futaba 6 EX?
Old 05-03-2007, 04:43 PM
DriveWRX

I voted to get a decent radio.
I just got a DX7. It made a BIG difference in all my helis (CX2, HBFP, Axe CP).

I'm able to fly the CX2 and the HBFP fairly well but, I was intimidated by the Axe (first CP heli for me).
Just getting the Axe set up correctly was difficult, let alone flying it. Positive pitch, negative pitch, CCPM, idle up all new to me...
I decided to put the Axe away until I gained more experience.

Then I got the DX7. I installed an AR6100 receiver in the Axe and using the programs in the DX7, I was able to get the right setup (throttle curves, pitch curves, expo...) Now the Axe (and the other 2 helis for that matter) fly sooo much better.

I have the Axe setup to be pretty tame right now. The best thing, though, is as my skills improve, I can just reprogram and get the heli setup to match my skill level. Simple.

AND... the DX7 will be a perfect radio when I do go to a TRex (or maybe beyond... )!

So with ONE GOOD RADIO, I'm able to fly a beginner coax heli or fly a 3D machine (well not yet anyway) with a flip of a switch. Good investment I'd say!

Whatever your choice...
Happy Flying,
-Vince
Old 05-03-2007, 09:42 PM
DrunkYoda

Ok 43% of you will be pleased to know I got myself a DX7 transmitter for $200 and will buy an ar6000 or ar6100 for my receiver.

What are thoughts on these versus the ar7000?

Do I really need 7channels on a blade?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:59 PM
drphoto

Yoda, you're going to love the DX7. It'll totally transform the BCP. I'd recommend a servo upgrade too. HS55 are a good low cost servos, but if you can afford HS65 MG, then you can use 'em later in your Rex project. Personnally I wouldn't waste any money on metal bits for the BCP. Just get the setup right and fly the snot out of it.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:09 PM
DriveWRX

ORIGINAL: DrunkYoda

Ok 43% of you will be pleased to know I got myself a DX7 transmitter for $200 and will buy an ar6000 or ar6100 for my receiver.

What are thoughts on these versus the ar7000?

Do I really need 7channels on a blade?

I'm not 100% sure but I think I read somewhere that the AR6000 won't work with the DX7.
I like the AR6100 over the AR7000 just because of size. AR6100 is 3.5g, perfect for micro helis. The AR7000 is 2-3 times the size.
You get more range on the 7000 but how far away are you going to fly a micro anyway... For basic functions, you won't need 7 channels.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:14 PM
healthyfatboy

The AR6000 will work with the DX7. The AR6100 won't work with the DX6. I think you made a good choice. Personally, if you can fly the Blade well, then don't worry about putting too much money into it. You might put enough into it such the Bell Hiller head or dual tails or a DD tail but other than that, it's money you could be saving for the T-Rex. You'll eventually move up there so there's not much of a reason to upgrade everything on your CP unless you just want to.
Also of note. If you have the CP and not the CPP, you also need a 3-in-1 instead of the 4-in-1 to use the AR6100. That will be an extra cost that I am saving up for now (wife and I being in college makes money tight at times).
7 channels are only going to be necessary on a heli if you want the extra channel to drop something or do something like that. The range is not an issue because the heli would be out of sight before your radio would drop out.
Have fun with it.