Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

TX Mods for CX-2 What a difference ! !

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

TX Mods for CX-2 What a difference ! !

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:15 PM
goldslinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TX Mods for CX-2 What a difference ! !

I smoothed the grooves on the throttle ring, removed the rudder spring, softened the right stick springs.

I can now fly so precise, that I can pick up little spiderman character with grapple hooks (from a Radio Shack Bladerunner purchase) like a pro ! ! My landings are like a butterfly with sore feet !

This is coupled with moving the ball linkages out 1 servo hole as well (to the second hole) for added sensitivity, smaller dead spot.

I can keep the chopper about 1 inch off the floor within a 8 inch radius for long periods of time with the tiniest inputs with the stick!

Except when our A/C turns on.

Newbies; stick to the factory settings until You don't brain fart too much before doing these mods. because of the added sensitivity, but ultimately, I really believe that it will make You fly much better when You don't have a ratchet hole and springs to deal with.

Gary
Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Default RE: TX Mods for CX-2 What a difference ! !

How, exactly did you "soften" the right stick springs? That sounds like it might be the thing for me as well.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:35 PM
J-MICHAEL

Hey goldslinger, I performed the exact same mods that you just described a little while ago and for me at least it's like night and day also ! If there was only one thing I would be allowed to do to the CX2 It would be those things on the TX. I read it in a few posts that were dated awhile back, and it makes flying this thing so much easier..Just taking the right spring out for your left stick is something that just makes more sense, at least for this little CX2 since it does want to yaw left and right all the time. I've never messed with my trim ever again. I also left my right stick spring in though cause I want that "centered" automatically for startup etc.. I remember reading about doing these things but didn't fully understand the concept until I tried it and I will NEVER go back to the way it was stock ever again. For other birds with 3-D I'am not sure it would be a good idea, but the quality of parts are probally so much better that you probally wouldn't have to.. well, take it easy.. Jeff
Old 09-17-2007, 09:37 PM
J-MICHAEL

Soften the springs can't rememeber but you either unscrew it some more or tighten...Try it.. But for real on your left stick seriously for a trial-run take it out completely, it will be weird just for the first pack or two, but oh man so much better!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:54 PM
soop7667

Newbies; stick to the factory settings until You don't brain fart too much before doing these mods. because of the added sensitivity, but ultimately, I really believe that it will make You fly much better when You don't have a ratchet hole and springs to deal with.
No offense dude - but you're talking about a CX2 - It should of been named "Newbies can Do"
Old 09-17-2007, 10:01 PM
J-MICHAEL

Oh I know it totally agree there guy, just hate to see the "newbies" constantly struggling with the yaw issue through this whole forum, but it more is in aim for the more experienced pilots, I should've clarified that my bad...
Old 09-17-2007, 10:20 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: soop7667

No offense dude - but you're talking about a CX2 - It should of been named "Newbies can Do"
I see you post alot around the forums and you seem to have a lot of knowledge about Rc helis, but i don't see you taking into account where most people got thier start or what can be done to further thier enjoyment as they progress in any way they see fit. If modding a coaxial brings joy......why step in the path of someone elses happiness? It really bothers me to see anyone assume an attitude towards others who obviously enjoy and take pride in thier accomplishments.
I may have read your post wrong and if so let me take the time to apologize for my misunderstanding your intentions. I am not the brightest bulb in the pack but do know what makes me happy and what disturbs me.
Just for your info....its is spelled n00bies.....not newbies That was my attempt at humor and no offense intended. The great thing about the internet is being able to express your opinion even if it doesn't go with the flow of the general population. You are very well entitled to your opinion, as well as myself and mine and we are both entitled to express our views as long as they are not derogatory or explicit.......... TY for your view soop7667.........and you are welcome for me expressing mine!

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 09-17-2007, 10:27 PM
goldslinger

Woaaaaa !

I mentioned until You don't 'brain fart too much,' that could be in 5 minutes, or like me 5 weeks when I started, so I don't see how it's assuming anything, or condescending.

HOWEVER, I do see a value of learning with some mods first, so that You aren't re-learning, but I wouldn't recommend a newby start out with a chopped off Flybar, would You?

What I meant as well, but did not mention, was it is alot easier to fry the 4-1 with the throttle spring removed until you get into the habit of shutting down in a crash; should have mentioned that; sorry.

I think, a person like Me, with no prior experience, out of the box, would smash the thing into a wall immediately with the mods I have described; I didn't want someone getting Mad at Me for that. The supersensitivity is great for hovering and such, but if You do get into trouble, You simply can't let go of the stick and it will be alright like the out of the box.

I guess Newby to Me is someone like I was, and was feeding the blade cash cow enough out of the box.

Yea, definately keep the right stick springs, cause You want it centered for no skid and it is not necessary.

To soften them, I loosened the tension screws which relax the spring. I found that that was not enough (for Me) so I removed them and pulled (very easy to overdo) and re-inserted them. If You go too much, then it won't have enough tension to find the center dwell.

I'm 42 Years old, and don't get all worked up over much these days, but I do think things out before posting.

Hope this clears things up.

Gary
Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 PM
mrasmm

just to add a bit for people like me that can't follow directions =)

The screws are inside the Tx next to the pots and the gimbals, in mine they are brass plated. I can't remember which way you turn them, but if you turn them one way it gets tighter, and the other way makes it mroe loose. i loosened mineup as well and it helped out alot =) Thanks for the info!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:59 AM
goldslinger

Yea, You can loosen up the screws and it releives the pressure somewhat on the return spring.
Even if You take the screw completely out, there is still plenty of resistance to ensure positive home position.

I pulled the springs further by stretching them until the coils didn't touch anymore, BUT NO MORE THAN THAT !

Then, I re-inserted the springs, and the tension screws and TIGHTENED the screws until it wasn't total mush and would return to the dwell in the tension armature. Now it just takes the lightest touch.

The results are REMARKABLE, as now I control the whole spectrum of inputs, and not enslaved by a dwell in the ratchet, or waiting until you break through the 'no response' envelope or dead spot. I can keep a perfect hover, keep the nose where I want, and the flight characteristics smooth out to unbelievable realism.

Then I noticed too big of a dead spot for the inputs; kinda defeatest, so I moved out the servo linkages out 1 hole for a more positive response.

I might note that it is important to read the guide described in this forum and get the pots in the 4-1 spot on before doing this mod.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 AM
soop7667

You know - I have noticed that I tend to be conceited at times. My girlfriend got me my first heli last christmas. It was a CP Pro, her mom got her the CX2 at the same time. I had my CP Pro hovering after 4 days. I spent around $400. in parts for the Cp Pro within 3 weeks. It was a grueling process, and I broke lots of parts. Since then I've built and flown 2 MX400's, a T-rex 450 SE, and now have a Raptor 50 Titan. I got bored flying my girlfriends CX2 after about 4 batteries because it just doesn't do anything but hover and fly around. Anytime I tried to do hard cyclic inputs I got blade strikes. I beleive you should be able to fly the CX2 out of the box without that happening. I say you shouldn't have to mod it, to fly it! E-Flite has let everyone down in this area IMHO. Maybe they knew it was so easy to fly, that if they didn't make it do something to damage itself in mid air flight, they'd never get the parts business.

Not trying to bash anyone - I just think the CX2 is like a heli with built in training wheels.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:10 AM
BenMer

Well, you know soop7667....ya gotta start somewhere!! We're not ALL imbred with the ability to fly an R/C helio. Some of us actually have to learn!!! As for E-Flite purposely building a bird so that it will damage itself in the air, you can't be serious. Granted, everyone is entitled to their opinion and my opinion of your opinion is.....well, I guess somethings are better left unsaid!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:42 AM
goldslinger

Boredom is the Mother of the modifications.

Some people, Me included; have no aspirations of ever owning a CP or T REX, etc.

Look at 'stock' car racing when it began and where it is today. Nothing wrong with mods and I think companies look at what people are modifying and You see those reflected in newer models.

I see thread after thread of mods on ALL models of choppers. There's always something else, and that 'else' and the tinkering associated with that keeps the interest level up; squeezing a little bit more performance, etc.

Inquisitive nature is what most people possess;

I fly a full scale Cessna 172; and it too can be modified for better performance.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:52 PM
BenMer

ORIGINAL: goldslinger

Boredom is the Mother of the modifications.

Some people, Me included; have no aspirations of ever owning a CP or T REX, etc.

Look at 'stock' car racing when it began and where it is today. Nothing wrong with mods and I think companies look at what people are modifying and You see those reflected in newer models.

I see thread after thread of mods on ALL models of choppers. There's always something else, and that 'else' and the tinkering associated with that keeps the interest level up; squeezing a little bit more performance, etc.

Inquisitive nature is what most people possess;

I fly a full scale Cessna 172; and it too can be modified for better performance.

Very well put, Goldslinger!!
Old 09-18-2007, 02:10 PM
soop7667

BenMer: ya gotta start somewhere!! We're not ALL imbred with the ability to fly an R/C helio. Some of us actually have to learn!!!
Soop7667: I spent around $400. in parts for the Cp Pro within 3 weeks. It was a grueling process, and I broke lots of parts
Apparently neither was I. It took practice, patience, and Lot's of parts. I didn't even mention the 4 or 5 major crashes with the T-Rex. Hell - It sit's in wreckage as it has for the past 5 months. And I must of crashed that Cp Pro a couple dozen times. I mean literally I would crash 6 times a day, re-build broken parts, and crash again. It was very frustrating, but i was determined. One thing that Is "imbred" into me is the ability to learn new things fast, when I am determined to master it.

And as stated before:
Soop7667: Not trying to bash anyone

You want to modify a CX2 - go for it! Modify it until there aint any CX2 left. That is what makes it fun. I love getting creative too! And if you enjoy flying the CX2 - more poweer to ya! I guess I was being a bit condecending in my original post - Unfortunately, I have that character flaw. Welcome to my flaws - I might be a damned good heli pilot, but I guess my personality has some undesireable traits. I've always been that way, and over time it has gotten better, but it's still there to some extent. To Clairify, and be totally honest with everyone and myself, I guess what i meant by my original post was...It was like a noob saying "newbies;"

But I wasn't knockin anyone!

I'm not sayin' that what I said was ok, I'm just saying, in all honesty, I guess that's what I meant. At least I can see my wrong-doings. I'm not a "Bad Guy', I'm just not perfect, that's all. I'm sure that a lot of the more experienced heli pilots can also look at me like I'm a noob - and that's ok with me, cuz to them - I still am.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:31 PM
stump3r

Goldslinger, quick question. I'm bigtime into precision flying with my CX2 however I find that rotor wash with the stock body is a real pain in the nether regions! Do you have the CF boom on yours? I just picked one up this aft at the LHS and am going to mod my tx and cx when I get home. Was really curious if you have issues with rotor wash.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:58 PM
J-MICHAEL

Soop, I have to say that your comment had bothered me for a little bit, but I take into consideration that being on the internet you will encounter a lot of different opinions, personalities, and views from a lot of people and to expect the unexpected..As I did in the prior incident. I'am 37 years old and have learned to not let the little unimportant things bother me anymore as earlier in my life it was a big problem, and got into my share of excitement in dealing with it in my own way. I'am the most courteous person you can meet, and I can also be your worst nightmare, which like you said I'am not perfect either and I do have character flaws myself... Like these challenging heli's life is similiar and you learn from your mistakes and you move on..I also believe you treat others as you would want to be treated and the world would be a better place..That being said no harm done as it's in the past now, and we look positevely toward the future ![sm=thumbup.gif] Jeff
Old 09-18-2007, 10:14 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know - I have noticed that I tend to be conceited at times. My girlfriend got me my first heli last christmas. It was a CP Pro, her mom got her the CX2 at the same time. I had my CP Pro hovering after 4 days. I spent around $400. in parts for the Cp Pro within 3 weeks. It was a grueling process, and I broke lots of parts. Since then I've built and flown 2 MX400's, a T-rex 450 SE, and now have a Raptor 50 Titan. I got bored flying my girlfriends CX2 after about 4 batteries because it just doesn't do anything but hover and fly around. Anytime I tried to do hard cyclic inputs I got blade strikes. I beleive you should be able to fly the CX2 out of the box without that happening. I say you shouldn't have to mod it, to fly it! E-Flite has let everyone down in this area IMHO. Maybe they knew it was so easy to fly, that if they didn't make it do something to damage itself in mid air flight, they'd never get the parts business.

Not trying to bash anyone - I just think the CX2 is like a heli with built in training wheels.
I too must apologize to you personally soop7667........ I really took offense to your post without realizing that sometimes the meaning of what you are trying to get across is different that what I read. I have only been into Rc for about a year total and started with a lil Venom coaxial and jumped straight to a Blade CP....... I now own a TREX, a HBK2, a CX2, 3 stock blade Cp's and One CP Pro and one aluminum blinged out Blade CP pro.
I was only miffed because I had a bad experience at a local flying field early in the summer and dealt firsthand with someone who basically told me to come back when I got a real heli ( He was referring to my TREX) and I got a very sour taste in my mouth for anyone who sticks thier nose up in the air at anyone who is just breaking into the hobby. I want to thank you for coming back and explaining your point of view and I will try to keep my big mouth shut when I encounter posts that i don't neccesarily completly understand.
Its nice to see someone who like myself started small....and the hanger just keeps growing. I am really looking hard for a decent nitro heli to purchase and am sure i could find a good Raptor used locally. This winter should ber a very good christmas to myself as i figure winter is the time to make some of the better deals for Large helis.
The thing about modding the CX2's is that by just doing a couple simple mods (longer inner and outer shafts and a shorter flybar) one can almost completly eliminate blade strikes during aggresive manuvers. These are not true outdoor helis but one can add a few things, tweak a couple of pots on a simple 4 in 1 and be able to fly in reletively calm outdoor conditions without having the heli destroy itself in midflight. They are honestly built for beginners (aka n00bs) but can be manipulated into yeilding some pretty decent flight characteristics and also help train the reflexes for future helis........ be it CP's, or TREX's or even Raptors.......... I know not exactly the same, but learning orientation on a coaxial definately has helped me in my quest for the perfect circuit!

Again.......... I apologize for acting out and basically stamping my feet like a 2 year old. You are alright in my book soop, and my reaction to your opinion was basically unwarranted. I will leave my soapbox in the workvan from now on when sitting at the puter!

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:40 PM
goldslinger

ORIGINAL: stump3r

Goldslinger, quick question. I'm bigtime into precision flying with my CX2 however I find that rotor wash with the stock body is a real pain in the nether regions! Do you have the CF boom on yours? I just picked one up this aft at the LHS and am going to mod my tx and cx when I get home. Was really curious if you have issues with rotor wash.

I don't right now, that's the beauty of it, but have a 'boomtown' boom in the mail right now; as I too aspire for more and more precision. One neat thing about the TX mods, is that it may enable Me to shorten the flybar without the steep learning curve with the added precision. I tried the modified flybars of different sorts, but it seems to defeat the whole stability issue of good hovering. You know it's just trial and error, until One finds the right combo for Them.

A boom certainly can't hurt!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:18 PM
soop7667

I was only miffed because I had a bad experience at a local flying field early in the summer and dealt firsthand with someone who basically told me to come back when I got a real heli ( He was referring to my TREX) and I got a very sour taste in my mouth for anyone who sticks thier nose up in the air at anyone who is just breaking into the hobby.
Thanks guys - I didn't really expect an apology from anyone or feel that one was warranted, but thanks! One thing I have to say in addition - Theres people who come out to our field with CP pro's looking for advice. I will help anyone I can, in any way that I can, whether they're flying a CX2, a CP Pro, or a Yamaha R-Max(Which I would probably be very intimidated on that particular model). Ya man - I'd never turn anyone down that want's to learn heli's, or needs help with something. In fact I love helping people out. I like to be seen as someone who has vast knowledge and skills, and it would re-affirm to myself that I have what it takes to master this hobby. By the way - I think a T-Rex is definately a real heli! Wish I had the time and $$ to get mine going again.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:46 PM
BryFlyGuy67

I tried to take the advice offered here abount loosening the springs on the right hand stick. I took the back off, found the springs and found two screws that seemed to bolt down the spring block. I loosened these screws and did not notice ANY difference in the stiffness of the stick. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:02 PM
goldslinger

You won't notice much; but it's there; I stretched the spring with a bent paperclip,being VERY CAREFUL not to overo it, trial and error until the coils when relaxed have just the slightest space between them. Then I re-attached it and adjusted the screw down just until it wasn't mushing into the center armature dwell. Stretching the spring gives you a little more adjusting room.

If You mess up, You have an extra one that You took off the throttle side, if You did that already.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:58 PM
BryFlyGuy67

Oh, I was under the impression that all you had to do was to back off of the screw, though to my eyes, I could not see how that would have any effect.

If You mess up, You have an extra one that You took off the throttle side, if You did that already.
I did the throttle mod, but that involved removal of the ratchet bar, not anything to do with the springs.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:22 PM
goldslinger

I didn't word it right; the throttle side meaning the spring on the rudder; I removed it completely; along with the lever and retainer; then bagged and tagged it in case I changed my mind.

I didn't care if it centered or not. You need to keep the springs on the right side so it wont slide when You power up, because that's harder to detect when You throttle up fast, in case You don't have the stick perfectly centered on that.

Adjusting the screw only does make a difference; just not enough for Me.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Balance

Hey .....I thought this was a simple question, with a simple answer.

Q: TX Mods for CX2

A: DX7

[sm=lol.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.