Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

HITEC HS-81 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Dragon_1973

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HITEC HS-81 ?

Has anybody used these servos in the Blade 400? Do they fit ok? Are they sufficient/recommended for the 3 forward servos?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:32 PM
evdreamer

Default RE: HITEC HS-81 ?

Aren't those mini servos? I think the B400 uses micro servos. I think the biggest servo that would work is the HS65.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Dragon_1973

oh yea... it's about 5mm larger in length and height...
Old 02-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Dragon_1973

ok... so are the HS65s the best bang for the buck for the 400? How much better for than the stock servos are they? Should one get the MG version? or are the Carbinite (or whatever it is) better enough to not justify the extra $ for the MGs?

One thing I noticed with the kit servos is that they don't recenter 100% and there is a bit of play in them. 2 or 3 degrees would be my guess. I'm not sure how much of an impact that has on actual control, but I can't imagine it'd be good. I've not flown anything other than a CX2, so I've no idea what it should feal like.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Torquestar

The HS65MG and the JR DS285MG servos seem to be the popular alternative choices. From what I've read, the DS285MG is a drop in replacement, but requires washers on the screws, as the hole is too large for the stock screw (the screw head goes right through the hole). The HS65MG servos require modification of the plastic on the forward site of the mounting location on the 2 rear cyclic servos. The elevator servo goes in without modification.

The HS65MG is an analog servo and the DS285 is digital. However, I believe both are very popular with the Trex crowd, especially the HS65MG. It's got 25 oz of torque compared to the 17 of the DS285.

After reading comparisons of both, I went with the HS65MG servos even though they were going to be harder to put in. I've had them in there for a 2-3 weeks now and it's been great!

EDIT: Forgot to add I noticed the exact same thing with the stock servos... aileron movement never centered properly. The HS65MG servos, even though they're analog don't seem to have this problem at all.

ORIGINAL: Dragon_1973

ok... so are the HS65s the best bang for the buck for the 400? How much better for than the stock servos are they? Should one get the MG version? or are the Carbinite (or whatever it is) better enough to not justify the extra $ for the MGs?

One thing I noticed with the kit servos is that they don't recenter 100% and there is a bit of play in them. 2 or 3 degrees would be my guess. I'm not sure how much of an impact that has on actual control, but I can't imagine it'd be good. I've not flown anything other than a CX2, so I've no idea what it should feal like.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:43 PM
evdreamer

I have the DS285 in my Belt CP and I like them. I am just waiting for the digital version of the HS65 to come out then I will get those.