Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:02 PM
evdreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Good to hear you got to fly the CPP today. The weather was kind of bad right until 10 minutes before I had to go to work. Then it was perfect. That always seems to happen. The boom should be tight and not twist in the frame. I use a little bit a super glue on parts like that. It is easy to break the bond if you ever need to replace the part and holds when you want it to. I have super glue on my T-Rex for the skids and the guides for the tail pushrod. I haven't had the CPP shoot up in the air, but it will gradually go up and down and not hold a steady hover outside. In my garage it holds a pretty good hover. I have problems were the power would shut off for a split second on my CX, but I am right by it with the antenna sticking all the way out.

Glenn,

Did you get to maiden the Gaui 200 today? It sounded like you were pretty close or did you not have enough time?

Nick
Old 07-12-2008, 11:17 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

NO, I didn't get to fly my Gaui on it's maiden voyage yet....my friend showed up at like 3PM, and just left an hour ago...so I didn't even get a chance to try it out.

But, I did get it spin it up on the bench. I had the motor wires wrong, quick switch on that, and everything looks good. I got really lucky, and it looks like the blade tracking is dead on... but I will double check it again.

Just got done moving the electronics around again, so I could get the battery to fit in the tray. I went up to the LHS and got some CX2 training gear, and a B400 battery velcro battery strap for the Gaui.

I have a nearly perfect CG now, but the battery hangs off of the front of the battery tray some. I think it will be fine there. A bit prone to damage in a crash, but it's a $21 battery pack...I'll probably change it later on to the T-Rex battery tray mod alot of guys are doing...

I am charging both packs, I may fire it up on the training gear on the kitchen floor to get an idea of how the tail acts when it gets light on the skids...

I am going to get her maiden flight in tomorrow, no matter what! I enjoyed my friend's company, but couldn't wait for them to leave so I could get back on the Gaui again!!

I'll update more as I go along here. I am going to put some velcro as you suggested on the battery tray, and between that and the velcro B400 strap, I should be good...

I kinda just have the wiring stuffed in an open area in the frame, gonna have to work with that a little later..

Glenn
Old 07-12-2008, 11:40 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Here's some pics of the electronics installation.

Question, and I think I already know the answer, but I'll see what you think...does it make any difference which way the gyro is mounted, as long as it is mounted bottom side down? If you look at my pics, you'll see the G110 in the frame angled at about 45 degrees...I don't think this is an issue?

Thanks!

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11522.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	989461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87096.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	989462  
Old 07-12-2008, 11:58 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

It is cool that the servos are see through. I like looking at those electronics in the servos. Your electronics and wiring look very clean.

I assume the gyro should be fine, but I never messed with a G110 to find out.

I am wondering if the tail servo is whats making the helicopter be tail heavy. Or is it still tail heavy with out it on?

Nick
Old 07-13-2008, 12:05 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Sorry to hear you couldn't fly the Gaui today. Does it have a one way bearing? Since you said the motor wires were backwards I would think that would be an easy way to strip the main gear if it had one.

Good to hear you got the balance really close.

Enjoy your flight tomorrow and hope you have perfect weather for it.

Are you still going to use the CX2 batteries or are you using the stock ones?

Nick
Old 07-13-2008, 12:16 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Is the tail pushrod adjustable very much? If it was, I was thinking you could flip the tail servo a 180 degrees and have it closer to the main shaft. That might put some more weight foward. I have a setup like that on the T-Rex. If you wanted me to post a picture of what I am talking about I could. Just throwing an idea out there.

Nick
Old 07-13-2008, 12:16 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, the clear cases on the servos are very cool.

I guess I will just try the gryo like that, I can't see where mounting it at an angle would make any difference, the gyro is going to detect the yaw of the heli no matter which way it's mounted...

Yeah, it's got a one way, but I only spooled it up very slowly, so no damage.

The canopy and the battery mounting seem to have made the balance really good.

While I think I can use the CX2 packs, they are a bit longer and skinnier, so they may present a problem with mounting the way I am flat on the battery tray, the canopy might not fit on...I'll have to check it out. Plus, I want to start out with good batteries, and see what kind of run time I can get out of it. I'm not too sure about my CX2 packs, they have been pretty abused... I have two of the Gaui packs, so I should be good for a couple of test/setup flights tomorrow.

Thanks on the compliments on the wiring/electronics...some of the guys on HF are shortening their wiring, that seems like alot of trouble to go through. One guy was saying that it looks great, but makes it a real pain when it comes to repairs with the short leads on the servos, etc.

I'm going to see how it goes like this for a while at least.

I think I am going to get some of the machinist guy's custom made T1 aluminum see saw arms...and he's got some of the 1.4mm screws for the tail rotor grips also...

Glenn
Old 07-13-2008, 12:23 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Great idea, I had the same one, but the length of the pushrod is too long...the servo will hit the frame if it's mounted the other way around. There is very little adjustment on the pushrod, and it's threaded on each end for ball links...it would be hard to do anything with it..

Here's something I want now...check this thing out!

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=5939

Only problem is, it's .5 gram heavier than stock. But it cures alot of the 200's inherent tailbox issues, which I am learning more and more about...

Glenn
Old 07-13-2008, 12:55 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Are the Gaui batteries a 3 cell or two cell?

The T-Rex wouldn't balance correctly until I put the canopy on. So on the Gaui and T-Rex, the canopies seem to add the right amount of weight to the front.

A lot of T-Rex people also shorten the wires. They say it helps lower the resistance and make it look cleaner. But I can't imagine cutting off a little bit of wire would make the resistance go down that much. And there isn't much current going through them. I can see how shortening the wires from the ESC to the motor might help with the higher current going through them. So my wires aren't clean looking on the T-Rex, but they are out of the way and it works.

That machinist could easily make a small business out of making see saw arms.

That tail assembly looks pretty good. I didn't know the Gaui 200 had problems with the tail gear box.

Nick
Old 07-13-2008, 01:30 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

The Gaui batteries are 2 cell, 7.4 volt, 800mAh...

I agree, the resistance would be negligible, there might be a TINY weight savings...

Yeah, I think Dave at HF is doing a little business selling see saws. His pictures of the arms look like he is an excellent machinist.

Yep, I am reading that the side plates are weak, and wear out, and the slider arm is very flimsy, it feels like it will break off when you go to pop the ball link on it....and I have already noticed that the short ball links to the blade grips fall off very easily.

I can't believe what just happened. I got the training gear all on the Gaui, and went to spin it up...and the servos were all whacked out, doing all kinds of strange stuff. I didn't know what to think, except that maybe I got some connectors in the wrong place in the receiver. But that was all good (after I pulled all the electronics back out ARRGGHHH!!). I was checking the radio settings, and it was set at ACRO, for planes!! It was the same model, number 5, GAUI 200...and it totally lost all the settings for the heli.

I had to do a complete reset. I think I have everything back to normal now...that is very weird, and very disturbing. The battery is not low, and the other models are unaffected.

Now I have to put the electronics back into the little spot that they go in...

Glenn
Old 07-13-2008, 01:56 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I got it all back together. I spun it up on the floor, and the tail seems to be pretty close. It is definately going the right direction when rudder inputs are applied.

This thing has CRAZY head speed! Guai suggests 3000 RPM minimum, and it sounds like every bit of that getting light on the skids! Glad I got the training gear, this thing might be a handful when I give it a whirl tomorrow!

Hope you can get some flying in tomorrow.

I'll keep you updated on the Gaui and it's progress.

Glenn
Old 07-13-2008, 12:08 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

It might be the safe thing to get the aluminum tail gear box if it seems like the stock one might break in a few places.

Sorry to hear that you had to pull all the electronics out and set everything back up.

Cool to hear you got the Gaui fired up.

I am running 3000 RPM on the T-Rex right now and I have another pinion to get it up to 3300 RPM. It gets pretty intimidating when I run a 100% flat line throttle curve on it.

Have fun with the Gaui and have a good day.

Nick
Old 07-13-2008, 01:26 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Just got back from the Gaui's maiden flight! All I can say is WOW!!

Let me start by saying that conditions were horrible, the windiest day of the week...and that I did have training gear on it...

I initially just wanted to get an idea of how the tail was working...and it turned into a 2 pack hovering session, despite the high winds.

All the attention to detail on the setup really paid off, along with some luck I might add!

I spooled it up, and got a feel for the tail, made a couple of clicks on the rudder trim, and it was up in the air, hovering like a champ!

Flew a couple of minutes, and put it back down, made some cyclic trim adjustments, some more minor tail rudder adjustments and flicked the gyro switch up to 70%...from 55%...and what a nice flying machine!

The tail is locked, despite the "inferior" G110 gyro, and the throttle response is amazing, to say the least. It also handled the wind very, very well for such a small heli. I attribute the throttle response and the wind handling to the high headspeed on this heli. Keep in mind, I am used to a very low headspeed on the B400 and CPP...

What a night and day difference over a CPP! There is absolutely no comparison.

I can see why this little bird is so popular, and I can also see it quickly becoming my favorite heli!

I'll write more later, don't want to time out...

Glenn
Old 07-13-2008, 02:01 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Glad to hear you finally got to fly the Gaui and all the setup you did worked out. That Gaui would be the perfect size for the backyard type flying I like to do. Good to hear you really like the helicopter. And hope you can get some more flights in. It sounds like your fine adjustments are making it a better flying helicopter.

I just got done putting a connector on my new Outrage battery. Now the leads are too short. So I am going to rearrange the electronics the way they should be and it will bring the ESC leads closer to the battery leads.

Hope you can get some more flights in on the Gaui. I am hoping to get a flight or two in pretty soon.

Nick
Old 07-13-2008, 02:15 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Thanks!

Now I need more BATTERIES!

It still needs a bit of blade tracking adjustment before I take it out again. I had a hard time seeing the mark inside, but I could see outside that it's a little bit off.

I am very pleased with the results of my first setup/build. Thank you for your advice on all the stuff. I owe the guys over at HF a big thank you as well...those guys really helped me get on track quickly. Great forum.

You would love the 200 for your backyard, it would be great, you wouldn't run out of room, like with the T-Rex...

I can certainly give it a thumbs up !!

However, I think it's going to be a bit of a handful without the training gear. Things with it happen MUCH faster than with the B400. Not to use the word "twitchy" like the CPP, but rather, very responsive. I have 15% expo in it now, until I get a bit more comfortable with it. I think I need to practice on the sim with the Helimax Axe CP for a while, it's more like what it flies like than the .30 and .46 helis I usally sim with...

Have a great day if you fly.

One of the Gaui packs just finished, and took 658ma after an 8 minute flight (800mAh pack)...so it looks like 7 minutes is the limit on this heli with these packs...

Glenn
Old 07-13-2008, 02:49 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Least the batteries for the Gaui won't break the bank which is a good thing.

I was glad to help out with what I could. I took a lot of advice from the people on HF for the T-Rex.

If I can get enough from the three helicopter I don't fly I might get a Gaui 200. But right now I need to save some money.

I can imagine with a high head speed it is going to be very responsive. Then there isn't that much weight to move, so that probably helps too.

I just got done with one pack. I am trying to take things slower and it seems to be working. I can hold a funnel a little better in the four upright directions. But some look better than others. Then I am trying to do a funnel figure 8. It looks cool, but it isn't perfect.

If the Gaui is as responsive as you say I think it would be hard to control it over 7-8 minutes, so 7 minutes would sound good to me.

Nick
Old 07-13-2008, 03:09 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, I am going to go ahead and order 3 more packs from Readyheli (where else would I order from? LOL)....at $22 each, I can't go wrong. I was so pleased to see that they had the same balance lead as the Eflite packs, so I can charge on my existing CPP chargers.

You should wait and see on the Gaui, you may want another larger heli someday too..I honestly think my next heli will be bigger, rather than smaller than the B400. The guy Glenn at the LHS keeps saying I should go bigger, rather than smaller, because the big helis are so much more stable. He has a T-Rex 600 electric, and he loves it....but I guess so...look how much it and the electronics cost!! Another heli is a ways away for me, I have bills coming next month, so my spending cash limit will be much lower.

Yeah, the only thing I have flown that is this responsive is the Dominion .90 3D on G4... I mean if you just look at the throttle stick on this thing, it changes altitude! I had a couple of times where I was doing rudder inputs, and made a slight movement of the throttle at at the same time, and where I would have never noticed it on the B400, I couldn't miss it on the Gaui!

I am super pleased at the way the tail is holding. I was thinking (and looking at the LHS) at better gyros...but for now, I don't see the need. Also, in an answer to my own question, it does not make any difference which way the gyro is mounted in relationship to the tailboom, it works just fine being at a 45 degree angle.

Cool, you must be doing really well at the funnels now! Good for you, I haven't made much progress in flying lately. I need to do more sim and flying, I've been too busy buildiing!

Yeah, 7 minutes will be fine...before my brain fries in the 90 degree heat!

Just looked....the wind is at 18 MPH now....ARRGGHHH !!

Have fun flying funnels!

Glenn
Old 07-13-2008, 03:51 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Good to hear you would shop at Readyheli again. I am really eyeballing the T-Rex belt that everyone loves there. It is like $8.

I would love a T-Rex 600, but $300 batteries and about another $300 for four digital servos. I can't get any more helicopters for awhile either. I start college tomorrow and tuition comes first. I just don't think I would go to a field too much to go fly. If I didn't bring a charger and a small battery I would only get a couple of flights in. Then have to go home.

Cool to hear about the way you mounted the gyro and that it works fine.

My funnels don't look so much like a funnel except for the one direction I am pretty good at. They are more flat. I am just trying to get used to the stick inputs and the orientations of it coming at different directions.

Yeah a couple of days ago it got in the triple digits here and the wind at night got up to 68 MPH. Sorry to hear it is windy and hot there.

I just got done putting the electronics in the same spot finless put in his T-Rex. Now I should have plenty of wire to hook up my new battery.

Nick
Old 07-13-2008, 05:50 PM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

im still getting the shooting up every so often with the cp pro, ill be hovering stationary with the throttle stick locked and it will jolt up like im apply more throttle for like a spilt second, does that sound like a radio glitch to you guys?
Old 07-13-2008, 10:00 PM
rotarydoc

Heli,

Yeah, I do believe that has happened to me on occasion when I had my stock radio on the CPP. Just make sure that your transmitter batteries are good, and the antenna on the transmitter is fully extended. Other than that, you could try flying in a different location...

I read one post by a guy that said he had better results by holding the transmitter antenna at a 45 degree angle, rather than straight up, or flat outwards...

That is one of the shortcomings of the stock FM radio on the CPP. My Quark also has an FM radio, and it needs to have the antenna wire hanging free or it will lose radio contact.

If worse comes to worst, you can always unwind some of the white antenna wire that is wrapped around the right landing gear, and try letting about a foot or so of it dangle down...and see if it helps.

The longer you make that antenna wire, the better the reception should be.

Hope this helps some.

How have you been doing with the CPP...I last heard you were really liking the flat bottom blades, the motor, and flybar weight setup?

Happy flying!

Glenn
Old 07-14-2008, 01:30 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I got to fly the T-Rex with the new Outrage battery. It sounded like the headspeed was a little faster. And the battery was 20 degrees cooler than my FlightPower ones after a flight. But my flight was two minutes shorter to break in the battery.

Nick
Old 07-14-2008, 03:00 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Sounds awesome on the battery, was that the replacement for the Belt CP crash battery?

Well, speaking of batteries, I have 3 more coming for the Gaui, but it wasn't easy finding them. Readyheli had one, and no one else besides Helihobby had any more, so I got two from them. And I have the micro heli tail coming from Helidirect. So, about Wednesday, I'll be getting stuff from Readyheli, Helihobby, and Helidirect!!

Plus I think I am going to get the custom made see saw arms from the machinist guy on HF...they will be coming from England. He also has some of the very difficult to find 1.4mm screws, so I am going to get about 20 of them. They are expensive, like 60 cents each. I guess because they are so small, and hard to make.

Never did get to fly the Gaui again yesterday after the maiden flights....big storms came through in the evening. Maybe I'll have better luck this week...

Hope you get some more flying in today.

Glenn
Old 07-14-2008, 03:21 PM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

rotarydoc seems like the gaui will be your new fav heli lol sounds like it is an amazing heli for sure, yeah to me what is happening when im flying is a glitch from the fm radio, but the guys over at the cp pro thread said they think its the swash plate binding up, so they recommend me to raise it alittle bit and oil up the main gear shaft, and see if that helps, but to me when flying it feels like a glitch but I could be wrong
Old 07-14-2008, 03:49 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Yeah that was my replacement battery.

Now that I moved my ESC under the canopy it is 30 degrees hotter than when it was at the rear of the helicopter after a flight.

Sorry to hear you couldn't get the rest of the batteries at Readyheli. Have fun installing the new tail section.

That would take a long time to ship from England. That would be smart to keep some extra of those screws since one broke for you.

Sorry to hear you couldn't fly the Gaui anymore. I just got two more packs in. I also increased the throttle curve a little. I had to add a lot more aileron in the funnel figure 8's to keep it in a smaller space with the new headspeed.

Nick

Old 07-14-2008, 03:51 PM
rotarydoc

Heli,

Yeah, the Gaui is awesome, I just can't wait to fly it again. But this time without the training gear...we'll see how it goes!

Sometimes it is difficult to tell whether the problem is mechanical or a glitching issue. I would take the advice of the CPP guys and try that, and you can eliminate that as a possiblity.

Hope it's not a big issue for you...have you had it happen very often?

Good luck with the CPP, hope you can get it fixed and enjoy more flying and practice with it!

Glenn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.