Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:54 PM
evdreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Thanks for the comments on the videos. Yes I can do a lot more with the T-Rex than the CPP. I can only do some banked turns, foward flight, backward flight, and hover in four directions with the CPP. And the video of the T-Rex is about all I can with it now. I have done some loops on the T-Rex. I don't want to try another loop for awhile since I crashed the Belt CP doing one. I went inverted and behind me. Then over a tree.

Sorry to hear about your crash with the CPP. They can be challenging, so don't give up on the hobby.

I just ordered some common crash parts for the T-Rex, so I might be ready to go inverted. It would be a shame to see it crash, but I think I am ready with all my sim practice inverted. I also got an Outrage 11.1V 2200mAh battery. I heard a lot of good reviews about it, so I will give it a try.

Nick
Old 07-04-2008, 11:20 PM
rotarydoc

Hi HS,

Hope you had a nice 4th of July...

Sounds like the CPP didn't go as well as it could have....sorry to hear that! You are using training gear on it right? Just wondering what part of the landing gear broke? Were you up fairly high when it happened?

Yeah, don't give up! Nick and I want to see you make it. The CPP can be very challenging, as Nick pointed out. I got pretty upset with mine today, I crashed it and broke a set of blades. It was flying very poorly. That is what led to selling the spare CPP on eBay. That, and watching some videos today of the Gaui 200...it may be small, and I'm sure it's a handful, but it's got great tail control from the vids that I saw, once it is setup right...that is the most frustrating thing with the CPP, I am just getting kinda tired of fighting with it...

I kinda rushed it to auction on eBay, only listing it for 1 day. If it doesn't sell, I'll just relist it. I put a buy it now for $99...which I think is very fair, it's practically brand new!

I think for me there is no turning back, I'm most likely going to get a Gaui 200....it may be a mistake, but I have to have one! It will be like a Quark on steroids!!

There is a whole sub forum on them over at Helifreak, those guys really love them!! So there must be something to it...

Hope you don't give up. Maybe you can scrape up some money for a nicer belt driven tail heli before long...

Glenn
Old 07-04-2008, 11:41 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

You did great on the vids. I actually prefer the stillness of the tripod vs someone moving the camera around, esp if they aren't too good at filming. Even if half of it does get cut off, it still was a great video. You have a nice back yard to play in!

Glad the CPP battery didn't do anything really bad, like blow up or swell up...and at least you caught it, could have been bad had it done that in a drawer or somewhere in the house.

Yeah, I had been thinking about the Gaui all day, and then crashed the CPP because the tail was all over the place. That was the last straw...at least for a little while. I decided right then and there that at least the spare was going. I will probably keep the original, at least until the DD tail unit becomes available from Eflite. But for now, it can sit on the shelf!

It went like this; I went to the baseball field, and the wind was pretty calm, not too bad. I flew a pack in the Quark, and even though there was some wind, it handled it very well for such a light little heli. Then, I decided to give the original CPP a whirl. And whirl it did...all over the place. I couldn't keep it under any thing that resembled control...and it went down from the tail being so stupid. Broke the rotor blade, that was about it, not a bad crash really, just very frustrating! Then, I put the B400 out there, and it flew like a dream, no problems, I did mess up a little on a left turn, but not bad at all, no crash. So I am thinking, "why do I continue to fight this heli (the CPP) every time I fly it"? I was just disgusted, and made the decision right there.

I don't expect the Gaui to be much more forgiving, but at LEAST the tail should hold well, from everything I have seen on it so far...

Plus there is something about all that cool carbon fiber and CNC stuff...LOL

I am looking at the combo pack that Helihobby has. It comes with servos, a E-sky gryo, motor, ESC, everything except receiver and transmitter. I just took the AR6200 out of the spare CPP, so I'm set there. Even comes with a battery, but it's a 3S, 11.1 volt...I am a bit concerned that it may be too much for me on that little heli, at least at first....

If I do get it from Helihobby, I'll bet they will be glad they took good care of me on the training gear issue. I have no hesitation to order it from them at all, if I decide to get it. There is a place Flyinghobby that has good prices, but they are in Hong Kong...but everyone seems to be pretty happy with them....I just don't know about ordering something that expensive from China....

Hope you had a great July 4th!

Glenn
Old 07-05-2008, 01:11 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Yeah the back yard is fun to fly around in. I want to cut down the little tree in the middle of the yard, so I have more open space. LOL

I think I was going to plug the battery in the CPP to make the video then one of the wires came out. So I brought it back inside then the other wire came out and touched. I have been pretty lucky with my LiPo's.

I have been in the same situation many times with the CPP. I almost got out of the hobby because of it. Then I got the Belt CP and started to love the hobby again. So my CPP is sitting on the shelf while my other helicopters get flown.

Good to hear you enjoyed the flights with the Quark and B400. You should fly the helicopters that make you happy and enjoy the hobby instead of the ones that don't.

I think once the tail is behaved on any helicopter the rest can be learned easier. So you should be fine with the Gaui 200. You are getting practice with the Quark and B400 so by the time you get another helicopter it should be easy to fly.

It is hard not to like looking at carbon fiber and aluminum parts.

That has to be a lot of power with a 3S battery on a 200 sized helicopter. It sounds like that is a good combo. I can't believe they can put all that stuff in a small helicopter.

Good to hear you trust Helihobby again. The last time I ordered from china it took a week or two to get here. That is too long of a wait for me. Or I pay high shipping costs to get it here sooner.

I did have a good 4th of July. I had a good time with my relatives and I got 5 flights in. Well 6 including the CPP. Hope you had a good 4th of July also.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 01:18 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I was reading on Helifreak about static discharge from the belt and the things to prevent it. And it seems I have all the electronics in the wrong spots. But I have 40 flights on the T-Rex and a lot on the Belt CP and I haven't had a problem. So I must be doing something that prevents it.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 01:34 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I'll bet you want to cut the tree...but I'll bet your dad has other ideas!!

Yeah, sounds like you got lucky on the lipo, good thing. I have not had an incident yet, knock on wood!

Yeah, the CPP is going to sit for a while, especially since I just read that the G110 is one of the suggested gyros for the Gaui...at least it will be put to use on a GOOD TAIL SETUP, instead of being wasted on the CPP's tail !!

So I may not go with the combo that Helihobby offers...I don't think I like the idea of the 3S pack, or the E-sky gyro, particularly... I may get the heli from Ready Heli, since they are on the east coast. I have never dealt with them, but the Gaui guys over at Helifreak seem to like them. Plus, they have it on sale...$299 for the belt driven tail plus free shipping. They also offer the Gaui 200 in a shaft drive tail. I will probably start with the belt, and see how I like it. The shaft drive kit is only $50 if I want to do it later. There seems to be 2 schools of thought on it, some like the belt, and some prefer the shaft, for different reasons.

I have been looking up the servos and stuff for it, they are some tiny little servos, and they aren't too expensive. If I use my G110 gyro, and my CX2 battery packs (which do work BTW), and the AR6200, I'll make out pretty good...it'll come in at or around $400....hopefully minus $100 for the CPP on eBay...so $300 won't be bad at all....

It will be like a Quark on steroids !! LOL

I know it's going to be a pain to set up, I've read that many times...but when it is setup right, it is apparently a really sweet little heli...it's going to be a project, for sure. But I'm up for it, I like a challenge....just not one that's a losing battle, like the CPP is...

Hope you can get some flying in, weather here is supposed to be rainy tomorrow...

Glenn
Old 07-05-2008, 01:57 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Yeah I think I told my dad about cutting down the tree. I think he kind of laughed then just walked away.

Hopefully you will never have any thing bad happen with a battery. I have heard the bad things that could happen and no one would want that to happen to them.

It is good you can use the CX2 battery, receiver, and the G110. That would be very cheap to get more batteries with a good performing helicoper.

I have never heard of Ready Heli before. Hopefully it will be another one to add to the good company list. I like the idea of a shaft drive, but have never dealt with one to know how it is. I am suprised that it is offered on the helicopter. Usually it is only a option for bigger more expensive helicopters.

Yeah it would seem like that helicopter is on steroids compared to a fixed pitch.

When you have to think about the setup of a helicopter you learn a lot. Even if something is hard to set up I get a sense of pride when everything works out. You probably feel the same.

It was supposed to storm on the 4th, but it never happend. So now I am just playing it by ear to see what the weather brings. Sorry to hear about the weather there.

I have been on the video section on Helifreak and they have some pretty cool helicopter videos there.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 02:14 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I thought you might like to see this video of a Gaui 200 http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=79550

You and I should be able to do this in a few months.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 04:37 AM
redlance88

so figured I would throw an update in here , for the last few weeks I have been trying to get into the stunt flying side of the hobby with my cp pro. lets just say, I am getting really really good at rebuilding my heli , flybars , and feathering shafts and blade grips left and right. its sort of odd to me the things that i am breaking now vs the things I used to break, but I sopose a lot has to do with how I am flying now. Back in the day it was main blades, and skids , all the time , now its blade grips ,feathering shafts , and flybars. part of it is that when i crash now its usualy at something close to knife edge , vs skids down.
stll haven't broken my first set of carbon blades , and they still look good as new after 7+ minor to moderate crashes. my biggest problems so far is that at the higher altudes I am working with to try and " protect the helli , I am looseing orientation and getting turned around for what end I see as the front the grey vs the sky some times makes it hard to tell if I am nose in, or tail in , and then I make the wrong choice and then over correct and usualy crash but sort of softly vs a full speed pile in. I am getting a little bit better at the inverted stuff , but not really manageing inverted hovers yet. the otherthing I have noticed , is that provided ya can fly it fairly well in the first place , the cp pro seems fairly tolerant of less than perfect setups, my blades don't track perfectly anymore , I have less than perfectly true flybar and feathring shaft, the main gear is a bit chewed up , and I more or less eyeball the paddle pitch. but even with all that it dosen't seem to fly much worse than when every thing was dialed in as close to perfect as I could make it . it was a twitchy handfull before , and seems to be just as much of a handfull now , in idle up , with every thing a bit out of true. I don't like to crash , and I don't like that every thing isn't perfect any more , but at this point its feeling like the only way I am gonna get braver and better at flying is to push it to the limits. I hope every one feels sorry for my abused little blade. I know I do.

in other news it was nice to do some slow easy cruseing around for my friends on the 4th, took off from a small sheet of plywood , flew around the field we were partying near , and then after about 4 min came back in for a perfect settle in landing right in the center of the sheet , it actualy looked like I knew what I was doing , it was great.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:19 AM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

yeah, im not going to give up, my wife is having a bunch of relatives over for my birthday and such sunday, maybe ill get some cash to afford a belt driven heli, Im going to wait to fly the cp pro untill I get that new motor in, hopfully it kinda slows down the head speed on it
Old 07-05-2008, 08:25 AM
HeliStyle

evdreamer thanks for the pm, Im kinda looking for something rtr
Old 07-05-2008, 10:37 AM
rotarydoc

Heli,

That would be awesome if you got some cash for your B-day! Happy birthday, by the way!!

If you get a belt driven tail heli, you will enjoy the hobby much more! I just read a post by evedreamer (Nick) that his struggles early on with the CPP almost made him quit the hobby...as I am sure it has for many.

I got pretty disgusted with mine myself, yesterday.

Hopefully, in the meantime, the smaller pinion/slower headspeed will help some with the CPP. Just don't expect a miracle, but it should tame it down a bit for sure, a step in the right direction.

So far, no bids on my CPP on eBay. Probably a bad time to list it, on a major holiday weekend,and only for one day...but you never know, some people on the west coast might just be waking up now...lol

Well, happy birthday, and I hope you get lots of "heli cash" LOL!

Glenn
Old 07-05-2008, 10:59 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, the stories I have heard about Lipo accidents are scary. One guy at the LHS said a buddy of his burned his entire garage to the ground, and lost all his airplanes, because insurance didn't cover them (not to mention the damage to the garage itself!!) I used to just plug the batts into the charger and then go to the store, etc....before I knew better!!

I think Readyheli is a good place, if you get a chance, check them out...they have a nice website, if nothing else. Looks like a good bunch of people run it. And I like it because it's on the east coast. so the time is the same, should I have to call them, and the shipping is less, and probably quicker than the west coast (free on internet orders over $100) and they ship USPS Priority, which I like.

Thanks for the vid on the Gaui....YEAH RIGHT, I can very safely say that I will NEVER be that good!! You still have a chance, you are young and have the hand to eye coordination that kind of flying requires...

I have heard of that guy alot in the HF Gaui forums, he's quite the icon over there...

Yeah, I am actually looking very forward to the "build" even though it's only installing electronics and set up. I am also prepared for the worst, I am sure it will take alot of patience and setup. But it's a whole different story when you are working on a very nice machine that you know will fly great if you put your efforts into it.

I also realize that this heli will be as much about fine tuning and setting it up as it is flying it. I am kinda looking forward to that part of it, for sure. Like you said, there is a certain amount of pride, and feeling of accomplishment when it turns out well after a challenging set up issue, problems, etc.

Gotta go....and put some money in the bank so I can place my order soon !!!

Glenn
Old 07-05-2008, 01:57 PM
evdreamer

Redlance88,

You have a lot more guts than I do to try 3D with a CPP. Have you tried putting the yellow CP canopy on? I had a hard time with the grey one when the sun was going down and the yellow is much easier to see. No one said trying to learn 3D wasn't going to involve crashing. I feel the same that I don't like to crash, but there is only so much I can do to practice a move then I just have to leap into it and see how it goes. Good to hear you had a nice 4th.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 02:02 PM
evdreamer

ORIGINAL: HeliStyle

evdreamer thanks for the pm, Im kinda looking for something rtr
Your welcome. I kind of thought you might want a RTF. Have a happy upcoming birthday. Have fun on what ever you decide to do with the CPP or a future helicopter.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 02:15 PM
redlance88

yeah I knew before I started that crashes were coming , I think I have gotten off easy so far, unlike most folks I seem to have taken to the cp pro fairly well , at least for hovering and forward flight. more luck than skill on my part I am sure. it helps that I am fairly handy with the easy repairs , 5 min epoxy is my friend. that and the fact that I spent a good amount of time working on stablility before trying to master hovers and the like. flybar weight is your friend !.. now with the weight back to original stock , its twice as hard to keep upright but I know generaly what to expect , it does every thing it used to , just much faster. so that will always be my advice to anyone working to get a handle on basic flight with the cp pro , add flybar weight. I know the path to 3d is going to mean a lot more crashes, but my personal parts inventoriy is ok for now , and the lhs has just about every thing that I am likely to break. so long as I don't smash the reciver or the brain I will just keep fixing it and trying again. if I ever break the electronics , I will probably use that as my sign to get a new helli , either a b -400, or perhaps a e sky belt cp depending on where the money situation is at the time.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:18 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Good luck with the CPP on Ebay.

I have plugged CX and CPP batteries in and fell asleep and nothing happened. I probably shouldn't do that with the cheap chargers. But I go out and fly when the T-Rex batteries are charging. I know the batteries and charger says not too, but I program it in the safe range for the batteries and I trust the charger has plenty of safety features that will kick in if needed. I also wait for my batteries to cool down before recharging so that probably helps.

Yeah I will go check Readyheli out soon. I was too tired to do it last night. I got the option from Helidirect to get free shipping since my order was over a $100. But it was the 4th so there might be some special going on because I saw a few sites that were giving some sort of discount for the 4th.

It would be cool to do the stuff in that video, but I don't want to do it as fast. I like the slower and more precise stuff. I see a few videos on line were it looks like they are just banging the sticks around, but it looks better when the moves are on purpose.

All this talk about the Gaui 200 got me too think about it. I checked a few of the fourms about it on Helifreak. I am just worried about the wind. It is usually always windy here, so I don't know how that would turn out. So I will wait for your review and setup for it, before I hit the buy button.

Have a good day.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 02:27 PM
HeliStyle

can someone post pictures of how they have there flybar weights setup, I have two on both the end of flybar near the paddles and one on both ends near the head, is that the best way to have them to make them stable
Old 07-05-2008, 02:27 PM
evdreamer

Yeah I used a lot of super glue on my CPP. It works great. The part usually breaks in the same spot then I just get the super glue back out. Then I am in the air in a few minutes.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 03:41 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Nick,

Yeah, I have been guilty of leaving my batteries somewhat unattended, but I never leave the house with them charging. I have never seen one puff, get hot, or anything, but you never know. Just be careful!

To be honest, I feel the same way, I like slower more deliberate stuff as well. I guess it comes from the old video that I have from my nitro days that is 20 years old. He just does some really neat stuff, like inverted mowing the grass, some very difficult looking 360 degree nose in hovering, really cool looking pirouettes while in forward flight about 4 feet off the ground, stuff like that I like more. Not to say those guys aren't talented, they are for sure. It's just not my style.

Thanks for the good luck wish on eBay...I don't know how it will turn out. Last I looked, it had 2 bids, for $10.50. So we'll see.

I am piecing together my spare parts list for the Gaui. It looks pretty long, and sort of expensive. Here is the basics (besides the heli, battery, and servos);

Part Price

See saw arms $16
Main shafts $4
Tail Blades $3
Link packs $8
Feathering screws $3
Main blade set $8
Flybars $3
Universal links $3
Hardware set $9

Total $ 57

Not too bad, really....

The most expensive thing, the see saw arms, seem to break alot in a crash. There is a guy on there, a machinist that is making stronger ones out of T1 alloy aluminum, so we'll see how his do. Apparently they are pretty fragile in a crash.

My want list is;

Carbon fiber landing gear $14
7.4v 2S battery $21
Smaller pinion gear $2

Servos are going to set me back about $99 for all 4...

I talked to a guy on the HF forum that has a B400, and just got his 200 4 days ago, and went flying this morning. He says he loves it so far! He said that it requires more concentration to fly than the B400 to fly, which is no surprise to me...very comforting to hear that!! He added that it hovers very well.

Talk about concentrating...check this guy out flying his Gaui 200 over in France....he looks like he's trying to defuse a bomb or something...LOL! Nice flying Hurricane 200....this is actually the vid that sold me on it...

http://www.dailymotion.com/teammodel...m-model-1_news

Pretty nice flying little heli. I am thinking that he is running pretty low (relatively) head speed to get it to hover like that...

I got my B400 motor in the mail, I guess I should start working on it, so maybe I can fly tonight some..

Glenn
Old 07-05-2008, 03:57 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Heli,

That is correct, you want the ones in the inside against the flybar paddle (they are actually collars, not weights, leave them there) and 2 or 3 if you want to try 3 on each side out by the paddle itself.

Like redlance was saying, more flybar weight calms the cyclic response, so it should be slower to react to inputs of the right stick...

Are you going to fly, or wait for your motor?

How are things in the CX2 world lately? LOL

Glenn
Old 07-05-2008, 04:05 PM
HeliStyle

as far as flying the cp pro, Im actually going to wait to fly it untill the motor comes in and I get some flat bottom blades, and I want to make a velcro battery compartment, just so everything is sercue, next time I use it I want it to be as stable as possible, I see your getting a Gaui 200, I have seen some videos of them and they seem sooo nice. Havent flown the cx2 in a few days, I tried shortening the flybar so I wouldnt get any blade clap and it didn't work out, so now I need a new flybar
Old 07-05-2008, 04:08 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Yeah I say that is a little far from your asking price for the CPP. LOL

I assume you get multiple parts in a bag for the Gaui 200. Like the Align spindles I got came in a pack of three.

I have never heard of a see saw arm breaking. But I guess the smaller the part it is the less beefy they can make it.

It hovered pretty good. I am suprised he didn't break his blades in the crash.

Have fun with the B400 once the motor is installed.

I have been researching the T-Rex 500 and it seems the stock motor doesn't last too long. That is an expensive motor to have go out.

I was reading on Helifreak about the price of heli fuel going up, so I think I will stick with electrics. They seem easier to work with and I don't like all the smoke from the Nitros.

I got an email today from Helidirect and my new battery and crash parts got shipped out.

Nick
Old 07-05-2008, 04:35 PM
rotarydoc

Heli,

Sounds like a good approach on the CPP, just take your time and try to get it as tame as possible, and just keep practicing!

Sorry to hear about the CX2 flybar, they are sort of expensive, like $6.99 or something outrageous like that. I have an unused one in my box right now...mine needs an inner shaft, and the LHS has them in stock now, so I guess I should fix it sometime. But I'm not too concerned, because I will be needing it's batteries soon, as they will work in the Gaui as well...

Hope you have a nice birthday party tomorrow, and get loads of cash!! LOL

Glenn
Old 07-05-2008, 04:36 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I started to do those backward figure 8's the other direction just a few minutes ago. They are no were near what I can do the other way, but I wanted to do something different. Then I did my first circles. They just seemed intimidating to me. For some reason going backwards was easier than doing it fowards. It is fun to learn new things with the helicoptes. I tend to get bored doing the same stuff over and over.

It is hot and windy, but I just had to go out and fly.

I just read someone with a 430L motor for the T-Rex 450 is having some bearing issues. I hope that doesn't happen to my 450XL motor. It made some different noises when I increased the throttle. I hope that is just a one time thing.

Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.