Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 09:03 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is doing well and keeping healthy and isolated.

Glad to hear that your job is considered essential Nick and your able to work from home. I hear that Amazon sometimes will have TP on sale - just another place to check out.

Our COV19 testing is still getting sent out to the reference labs and usually has a 3 day turn around. We get calls for positive results round the clock. If the patient is an admit then we call the nurse with the results, if the patient was discharged from the ED then we hope they are quarantining themselves and they are notified the following day. But that still gives them 3 days of not knowing and hopefully they are staying indoors while waiting for the results. Still, scary times ahead.

JPEE, how are you doing?

We started homeschooling our son today. The school district has given a new date, May 1 but I really don't think the kids will be returning to school for the rest of this school year. Its just too dangerous and risky. Home schooling is new and will have to work out the kinks to get it more smoothly functioning.

Last week I had the chance to get a taxi test with my 70mm F-16 Thunderbird. The plane is still not complete but I wanted to get her outside and help with some motivation. A few things I learned is the plane rolls forever and if turned to sharply will tip over on its side. So the taxi test did help with discovering those things. I was really happy with how it turned out and am almost finished with the elevators so I'm trying for a maiden this weekend. Fingers crossed!

The other thing that happened was an incident with my newest jet - my F-18. Unlike my F-22 which is very difficult to stall, the F-18 stalls easily. I actually had it stall on takeoff. I should have aborted but thought I could just get it in the air quickly. Wrong... see video.
It'll fly again but I need to replace the fuselage first. So it will have to wait as I have a few other things to get done first - mainly my F-16.

Mark

Old 04-07-2020, 01:29 AM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Welcome to the month of quarantine April. Not too much has changed except our state is now in complete stay-at-home orders by the governor. Work has slowed tremendously as many people stay away from the hospitals unless absolutely necessary. Hope everyone is hanging in there and staying safe.

This past week I was determined to get the F-16 airworthy and finish the maiden. I finished up the full flying stabilizers and did the reinforcement of the side foam sections with carbon fiber and basswood sections. After testing them to see if they would hold the plane up I was mostly satisfied they wouldn't fail in flight. But, you can never be sure until that first flight. The motor mount needs more foam carving but for the time being I was able to get the motor to tightly fit and taped up the foam motor cover and cheater cover. I also taped the cockpit canopy as I still have some painting and other bits I want to do before gluing the canopy on permanently. So I did rather rush things just to get the plane flying by Saturday (rain and winds were expected on Sunday - which they did). Needless to say, it was an all-nighter.

After charging batts we headed to the flying area. The construction guys have been busy the past few weeks and they finished with the light pole installation. Great, light poles! We also get the occasional morning walkers that like to come by. Did I mention this plane is big?! I haven't had this amount of nervousness with a maiden in a long time. I was literally shaking! But the plane did great. A long run down the runway and it rotated beautifully. I had to do a lot of elevator trim but at least I had both elevator halves even so no unexpected behavior. My approaches were fast as I thought I would need to keep some throttle but eventually had to cut and glide her in. The plane floats forever if given a chance. My landing was...uh, scary. But got her down in one piece was no damage, so success!

I also finally got some video of my Goblin flying around a few weeks earlier, before the dang light poles went up. Had some weird tail spin when spooling up but didn't experience it for the rest of the flight. Guess it was some kind of fluke. I kind of messed around with loops mainly and just had fun flying around.

With my son having to stay at home most of the week I know he looks forward to getting out on the weekends to go flying. I also found packed away a Hot Wheels Street Hawk - a flying car that I got for him many moons ago. Surprised that it still charged and worked! So now he has something that he can fly when we go out.

Mark

Old 04-18-2020, 08:47 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd include some pictures of my almost finished F-16 Thunderbird. I got the graphics from Callie and they were well worth it. Most of them went on with little fuss but a few I had to modify, esp the ones covering the intake cheater hole and EDF cover. I still need to do some touch up work to the underside and on the exhaust nozzle, and have on order an LED afterburner kit. I also did work on the cockpit interior when I was painting the canopy - mainly painting the pilots helmet and adding a HUD (basically a cut up section of an old CD epoxied in place).

Mark

Old 04-19-2020, 09:02 AM
JPEE

Mark, your photos are stunning in their perspective with G man in the background. Hands off that is a clean build and the decals WHAT CAN I SAY........there is perfection at it's finest! Your finishing touches added to the cockpit really again.....add to the perspective that it is a real life size Jet! Can't wait to see the running light kit installed!
Question, because I am not knowledgeable with Jets, I see the white F-16? that you built from scratch that you put the decals on, but what was/is the Camo Jet F-16? Did you paint over the Camo and go to the white and then build or are there two planes? I have a some recollection of you saying your were going to set it up an F-16 from a different air force department for the lack of the right terms? Another question, please forgive my ignorance, why id the what looks like a 5 upside down on the Jets intake? I am relying on you to broaden my knowledge a bit here :-)

Well done my friend!
Old 04-22-2020, 05:51 AM
Aframomum

Hey JPEE,

To help clear up some confusion - the arctic camo plane in the first photo, the white plane, and the finished Thunderbird plane are all one in the same. I was showing the progression the plane took. I used acetone to remove all the arctic camo paint - and what a job that was! The black wanted to streak everywhere, it really was a big mess. I then hit all the plane parts in white primer - can you believe they have like 10 different whites? Yeah, must have gone through half of them before I got the correct, bright white I was looking for. Then I put on the graphics that I had Callie custom make for me. Don't know if you've heard of Callie's Graphics (lots of warbird guys, and jet guys too will use them to make custom graphics for different plane liveries) but their work is great.

https://www.callie-graphics.com/

About the number 5 being upside down...that's not an error as its supposed to be! The plane I'm modeling after is the lead solo, Thunderbird #5. The 5 on that plane is purposely upside down as the plane does much of its front and center show inverted, that way the number can be read right side up. Cool huh?

Old 04-23-2020, 05:09 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,
Thank you for explaining the morphing process of the jets three stages. That acetone must have been a heck of a miserable job. :-(( Oh yes, I can believe there are 10 whites, just like a house paint color key chart. I sent your Callie link to Phil on the chance he may or may not have known about them, thank you for that! The photo you provided explains it all....... why the 5 is upside down WOW what those pilots can do!

As an aside, I don’t recall if I shared I have been dabbling in Ham Radio. I have a 75 watt mobile transceiver on my bench as a base station and a new walkie talkie as well. I did get my FFC GMRS License (the starter) level.

Back to RC, it’s getting hot here, 98° and the garage is getting hot. It closed up tight so I can it’s AC or it’s Heater per season as needed. Now I have the MD500 behind the couch in the living room, the 230, 500, 400, in the office on twin bed. But the planes, dang they take up some room not to mention Mavic case, and DX9 and Airtronics cases that have to come in too with the planes, T 28, P40, P51, Bixler, and the Radian Glider all have to come in. We used to pile all of that in the guest room on that bed but these days the wife said if one of us falls ill we need that room ready to go. She told me to have all of the planes on the two walls in the office over the bed with the Heli’s and TX cases. I “exclaimed” WHAT!!!!!!! you want me to make holes in the walls, she replied with her smile 😊 yes! Here’s what I cam thinking. If I use 12” 5/8” or so sugar pine with only 4 deck screws flat mounted to the wall I can start at the corner wall to the door jamb casing which is 9’ but......the planes in the garage are at 13’ ! So I started pondering if I take and put a 4” Vertical block on the pine that will push A plane hanger they are on thus......it comes out towards me and the next planes wings can go behind the first plans letting me slide them closer to together, ones wings under the other increasing my wall capability up 2.5 ft per plane. I have not run the numbers yet, that was a preliminary look today. I’ve got to take the planes off the wall and set them on the ground and make a dry run at it and see what I wind up with. Oh boy...a new project😎

The Infamous JPEE

Last edited by JPEE; 04-23-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:47 PM
Aframomum

Hello Mr. Infamous JPEE!!

Looks like you have several projects currently going on - the HAM radio antenna and the shelves. How are they progressing? You know better than I - whatever makes the wife happy works out to be the best solution!

I'm sorry to hear about the news you sent of Callie Graphics. I hope like all small businesses they are able to weather this storm and are able to recover.

Not too much going on over here...Yet.

Mark

(to be continued... )

Old 04-30-2020, 05:15 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

All is well here and I hope the same for you and yours. I am so busy with the HAM I have purchased the materials to hang the planes in the office. But I did get the HAM elevated and the I had to explain to the little women that it is a no choice in order to make everything work properly. She read the email from the Antenna suppler so she so sweetly let my put it up 3' above the roof line.
Day before yesterday I took the T-28 out to a not so happy ending. No one was at the field so it was just me. First sign of the Gods not wanting me to fly was.......the RX had dropped out and I had to rebind! Then I took her up and she was like glass and not to fast as I haven't flown a plane since April 2019. Anyway she was a delight and I did some touch and goes and I could leave her at approach and she'd come down level and nice then I would power up and go around. WELL on the last go around on my my first pack there was moisture and haze in the air and the next thing I see is I am off course and I tried to correct and she done and going in. She hit the fence of the bridge and saw some parts fly. Long story short and I had to packs up and let myself out and drive over the bridge and park with flashers and hike down to the basin to fetch her back. THE GOOD PARTS COMING.......I get there and the Batt came off and was ok. The wing once piece was pulled off but salvagable. As I hiked up the hill back to the road and loaded and was ready to leave and nice Hispanic man came out of the basin with my Canopy!!!!! OMG I said thank you many time as he and his wife were down there at waters edge and saw everything. I thanked him and then got back in the truck and her he comes again!!!!!!!!!! Up the side of the basin "blue" in the face from exhaustion and he had my battery!!!! It had slipped out of the crash fuse I guess as I carried it up the embankment. I again was so grateful and gave him cold water. There still are good generous people on planet earth I tell you. The cowling junk,( have and extra on hand ) the nose of the fuse broken clean off......but I'll have it glued back together tomorrow, no real broken parts I could see and electronically everything works on the bench here.

Here are some picks
Old 05-01-2020, 12:40 AM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

I want to first say how sorry I am to hear and see your T-28 mishap. As you said the damage is repairable and you'll have her back in the air in no time. That was a great story about the passerby helping you with locating your canopy and lipo. Good does still exist!

Your antennae looks great and doesn't appear to be too unsightly, in fact with just 2 sections sticking up I bet its barley noticeable. Hope the misses is happy with the end result. Have you had the chance to try it out yet, or do you need the paperwork first?

So...my son has been flying a Hotwheels car-plane that I got for him several years ago. I rediscovered it in the closet (it had been stored for 2 years). I charged the internal lipo and gave the throttle a blip and was pleasantly surprised when the motors came to life! Well, he has been flying it for the past few weekends and has been getting really good at controlling it. Unfortunately the little internal lipo finally started giving up and only supplying power for 2 minutes so off to Motion, Horizon, and Hobbyking I went searching for a next airplane. Nothing too expensive, too large, or too fragile or complicated. Well, I do believe I found my answer with Horizon - a HobbyZone RTF Duet.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/duet-rtf-hbz5300

I also picked up 4 extra lipo's for it so he should have several flights with it each time out. The plane arrived yesterday and I had him taxi it around in the garage to get a feel for the differential props used for steering and aerilon control. We are planning the maiden in the morning as long as the winds stay quiet.

Mark

Old 05-02-2020, 07:51 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the kind words after my mishap with the T 28. In order to get that nose To stay on it’s too big of an area to do hot glue and make it all the way around before the glue starts to jail so I’m going to use good old fashion CA. However, I’m going to add bamboo skewers and stick those through the front of the plane back through the firewall area and essentially put ribs running horizontally from the nose back towards the cockpit area for about a total of 4 to 6 inches. On the P 51 when I curled each tip of the wing I am heated it and stretched it back to its position and then shoved carbon fiber rods, very small ones in diameter up 8-9 inches. She will fly again, I have no doubt. Yes he was an angel to help me out.

What a Dad.......Mr. G’s new plane is AWSOME! I watched the video and is in a sense it is like my Bixler. Oh I wished I could see him fly, father and son flying together WOW! I sincerely hope you guys got to make the meeting on your sons plane and all went well.

Why we are talking about expired lightbulbs in your hot wheels plane my Lipo the size of will see six postage stamps stacked on each other inside my dash camera which is powered by a cord and plugs in the lighter. But the battery inside is to keep the time and date stamps And all the settings in memory. And I want it to be accurate in those categories if I do have an accident or get hit with the time and date is there in the video displayed, for court purposes of course. Well there is not a battery of a one S Lipo that is a 400 mA anywhere in the continental United States. I had to go on eBay and buy it and bring it in from China. Then I had to put on my jeweler magnifying glasses and do some real swirl soldering to get the battery hooked up insulated and put back into the little case. To back up a step when I realized that the battery was defective I opened up the unit and saw the old battery and I with a little work would be able to dig it out. Once done and saw what it was before I ordered the battery for almost 9 dollars I took a 1S pack from one of my wee little helicopters, Charge that up and it had a little pigtail I had made and I soldered that in temporarily hanging out of the case and it held for days. At that point I knew that the system was good and the battery was charging so I went ahead and made the order and then installed. I love that type of small micro intricate work I just thrive on it. I feel like I’ve got something accomplished when I’m done. , Charge that up and it had a little pigtail I had made and I soldered that in temporarily hanging out of the case and it held for days. At that point I knew that the system was good and the battery was charging so I went ahead and made the order and then installed. I love that type of small micro intricate work I just thrive on it. I feel like I’ve got something accomplished when I’m done. I hope you will treat us to a video of Mr. Gs flight.

Closing yes the wife has excepted the antenna on that end of the house and it’s elevated before or so feet off the roof now which helped a lot of the antenna issues I was having. I won’t go into a bunch of detail and waste your time but I ordered another antenna today for the other side of the gable of the garage. Each antenna has dual elements and they are set a different frequencies one is the low band 150 to 160 Megahertz and the high side is 460 to 500 MHz The antenna is set at 140 to 150 and on the high end 440 to 500. That said I will be using the lower range on one antenna in the high range off the other because those are tuned to the two frequency levels that I talk on so that stuff will all be delivered next week.

I touched base with Nick today, Sunday, just to check in on him and see how he’s doing. He’s doing pretty well and struggling like everybody else with the virus and being in the workplace like you it’s a stressful situation. But overall he’s doing OK.
JPEE OUT!
Old 05-06-2020, 08:21 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Here is the video from last week's maiden of my son's new Duet plane. He did really well even though the light was fading as we went out in the late afternoon. I also included a few clips from his Hotwheels car/plane progression flights. We also had a young chatty observer stop by to watch the flight. lol

Mark
Old 05-08-2020, 09:13 PM
Aframomum

Hey JPEE,

I hope you are able to get your T-28 back together. The bamboo skewers for strength and support sounds like a great idea. I've used CA in the past, also epoxy (but found it to be too heavy at times, esp. with repairs at either extreme that can affect CG). I have been using Foam Tac from Motion - they sell 6 smaller vials of it so you don't have to deal with the drying out after the first use problem some glues have. Another one I just started using is Gorilla Glue Clear - it doesn't expand, is real thin and lightweight, and has decent strength when dry. Only issue with both the foam tac and gorilla glue is the drying time - usually have to let it sit overnight. I actually used the gorilla glue for the CF and basswood supports I used on the F-16 body to attach the elevator pivots. And that thing has never failed with some serious flight stress tests. lol

But, more on the F-16 later...

That was an interesting story of how you did a DIY fix for your dash cam. Micro soldering is definitely a skill you have mastered! I still struggle with soldering two wires together. lol Glad you got it working!

More a little later...

Mark

Last edited by Aframomum; 05-08-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:53 PM
Aframomum

Back again...

I'm glad to hear Nick is doing alright. Seems like many states are beginning to reopen slowly. Our beaches, parks, & some restaurants have opened with limitations.

We went to the beach this past Monday for a short trip just to get out and see how things were. For the most part where we were there weren't too many people. We did stop by the port to see how many cruise ships were there and most of them were sitting off-shore (we counted 7 you could see from the beach). Lots of personal boats out also - looks like anyone with a boat was launching at the dock that day.

We also stopped by a favorite seafood restaurant on the first day they were opened - quite an experience. They had every other table and booth marked off for no seating and there were only a few patrons, including us. Lots of hand sanitizer use before, during, and after the meal. Our server had told us he had been not working since Feb. when the restaurant started cutting hours. He was very happy to be working again. Some very strange times indeed.

Gas has been holding steady at 1.69 since the end of April. I have made sure to always keep my tank topped off with the price that low. Work has begun to pick up again as people are getting more used to going back to the ER. Our surgeries have also begun to pick up again. Our hospital lab tests for COVID19 so all surgical patients, Labor patients, and certain ER patients are getting orders for the test. It seems we are also going to be getting the AB test in house soon so we'll see how that pans out.

I saw that the Fun N' Sun airshow was officially canceled for this year. That I was expecting as it is always packed each day of the event. Disney is going to try to reopen with limited capacity starting maybe in June? Don't know for sure yet. Not really thinking of being the first to head on over there - probably will give it a few months to see how things go.

With summer coming our days are starting with it getting light around 6:30. So that gives me a chance on my days off to head over to my flying area to get some jet and heli flying before everyone wakes up. I've noticed that I can do some "boring flying" with my heli - trying to tune up my basic skills and get back my muscle memory. I also broke out my simulator so have been practicing again on that. My jets I still need to work on landings. Its always landings...lol Its weird b/c some days my landings are great while others, not so great. It's the not so great days that can lead to some minor repairs.

Mark

Last edited by Aframomum; 05-08-2020 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:43 AM
JPEE

Mark,
It’s 5:30 a.m. and I see your new post. Last night I wrote and posted you a full page and several photos and when I see your post mine is gone! I wrote in an email for back up with RC Univ after other mails getting lost. After posting and seeing it on the page I trashed the email page I used for a draft. No I see everything is gone ........gurrrrrrrrrrr. Haven’t coffee yet so I’ll right it all up again later when I am Amped up with my coffee.

Part #2
12:15 p.m.
Mark, I loved the videos of George flying, both in fact. He is going to become better than his dad so be ready for that. His youth and faster reactions will surpass you at some point. When I taught my grandson Joe how to fly, he never got better than me before he started flying real airplanes LOL. But had he stayed with it, like everyone I have taught to fly he would have passed me with my age diminishing my skills. George was so cute chasing the plane and resetting it for the take off! Right now it might be a bit of chaos while he is in the air but man oh man he comes all of the way around that fly area so that some skill right there and..... no bad crashes either! He gets 5 Stars from * * * * *

Wow on the cruise ships all sitting out there, no fun to be had there for sure. It was nice you were able to get out of the house and to the coast, pretty cool indeed! So glad to hear some people are back to work there, can't even fathom what those in the unemployment line are going through.

Mark, we all have those good and bad fly days, look at me I just crashed.....but like you said, the Sim and just flying routinely live will get back your muscle memory back. Yes daylight saving time is here and when I can get there up to the field, I haven't yet since the crash, I have to many other things on my plate. If I get to the field at 8:30 the sun is up high enough I can fly low and my hat brim will block out the sun, same with flying like at dusk. Get your time in wherever you can, it is a commodity! It's a bit cooler today, it's 80 with both doors open and there a breeze, but don't step out into the Sun!

I guess I forgot to mention that Judy and I hung my planes and heli's up in the house due to the heat in the garage. in order for me to heat or air condition that area I had to close all opening to the outside. She made some of the plane stirrups as I call them like on a saddle that slip over the wings then up to a hook. I had these in the Cargo Trailer a year or two ago but here each one had to be modified for length so she made from scratch again modded the others. That's our home office-fly room lol, - single twin bedroom for when if one of us should come down we can be separated. back t the planes, I just grab the plane and slip off the wing stirrups and I am good to go.

Take care

All planes and Heli’s are now inside protected from the hot garage. We squeezed them in our little home office.

Last edited by JPEE; 05-09-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:57 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Sorry you lost your long post - very infuriating indeed!

I have some really great news and some not so great news. The great news first, right?

I bought myself a transmitter, yesterday. Yep, finally broke down and got one to replace my 12 year old DX7. Yes, you heard correct...12 years with the same Tx. Wow! Have already repurposed the DX7 to be used for the simulator only. I'm getting the Tx second hand from a member on HF. He's been a member since 2008 so I have a good feeling about the purchase. Plus he's the original owner and the Tx looks to be in good condition.

I'm very excited about all the new things this Tx has that I'm not used to. It has telemetry features, a dial that can be used for adjusting gains on a gyro in flight (had a close call with that one last week), adjustments for nose gear steering separate from rudder (part of a reason for a crash a few weeks ago), can use NiMH or lipo batteries, and more that I'm still reading through in the manual. Can't wait to get it later this week!

Since getting my sim back working I've let my son try it out. He does like to crash many of the planes and heli's in it but hey, kids will be kids. What really surprises me is that he can actually fly most of them around, including the heli's, very well. I watch him do loops and rolls with the planes and heli's which knocks my socks off, so to speak. Still, don't think I'm going to hand over my Goblin to him just yet!

If you look back a few posts I included a short video of my F-18 crash on March 23. Basically on take off it was veering to the right towards a fire hydrant so I pulled up hard on the elevator causing it to do a stall, twice. I wasn't able to save it and she nosed in damaging the front end. Crushed and snapped the nose in several pieces. I replaced the fuse and rudders last week and was able to reuse the wings and elevators. I also put a gyro in it as the plane is a bit twitchy. I was able to maiden the repaired plane and had no major issues. Success.

Now, I usually start with the gyro gains relatively low then adjust them up little bit at a time. With planes its similar to heli's in that you have to fly around to see if further adjustments are needed, then land and make the necessary changes. Then try again. One thing thats neat about this particular gyro is its ability to be adjusted in flight if your radio has a dial on it. My DX7 does not have a dial. So no in-flight adjustments can be done. So I made the adjustments to the pots on the ground and took off. As soon as she got in the air the wings started to rock back and forth really fast. Dang, went to far on the pots. I had to throttle back to keep the wings from oscillating too badly. Luckily I was able to turn off the gyro and land. Of course with the gyro off the plane had that twitchiness again, so landing was...fun. Got her down in one piece but having a radio with a dial to make the gain adjustments in flight would have been nice. With the DX8 I can now do that.

Mark
Old 05-17-2020, 05:04 PM
JPEE

Originally Posted by Aframomum
Hi JPEE,

Sorry you lost your long post - very infuriating indeed!

I have some really great news and some not so great news. The great news first, right?

I bought myself a transmitter, yesterday. Yep, finally broke down and got one to replace my 12 year old DX7. Yes, you heard correct...12 years with the same Tx. Wow! Have already repurposed the DX7 to be used for the simulator only. I'm getting the Tx second hand from a member on HF. He's been a member since 2008 so I have a good feeling about the purchase. Plus he's the original owner and the Tx looks to be in good condition.
Congratulations indeed! Heck, 12 years old is life time, I don't know how you held on that long especially with your jets. I still have my LPD that came with my CX2, DX5, DX6i, Airtronics..which is my heli TX and my two year old DX9. Those should last me for the rest of life lol. My Airtronics was and is great and the RX are $$$ and that's why I dont move everything over the DX9 which like your DX8 is a SWEETHEART! So many of my RC's....230 Heli, Radian Glider, P-47, T-28 Bixler are on the DX9 and I love it's amenities and talking system. My P-51 is on the Airtronics as well and the 500, 600, 700 helis. YOU ARE gonna love that TX forsure!

I'm very excited about all the new things this Tx has that I'm not used to. It has telemetry features, a dial that can be used for adjusting gains on a gyro in flight (had a close call with that one last week), adjustments for nose gear steering separate from rudder (part of a reason for a crash a few weeks ago), can use NiMH or lipo batteries, and more that I'm still reading through in the manual. Can't wait to get it later this week! I forgot at the moment whats it's called but should your loose connectivity you can set and adjustment so the plane then falls into a SAFE mode, thats what they call it. I set me planes with a pinch of rudder and down elevator so it "cannot" run away if it loses the TX but rather will fly until the battery gives out and the circle and drop slowly HOPEFULLY with out much damage. Check it out and make sure the RX's have the SAFE mode when you buy them.

Since getting my sim back working I've let my son try it out. He does like to crash many of the planes and heli's in it but hey, kids will be kids. What really surprises me is that he can actually fly most of them around, including the heli's, very well. I watch him do loops and rolls with the planes and heli's which knocks my socks off, so to speak. Still, don't think I'm going to hand over my Goblin to him just yet! That's what I said about G man flying in controlled-chaos which means, he's a little out of control but yet has good skills to not nose in. Mark my words, he will fly your sock off in just a couple of years at best!

If you look back a few posts I included a short video of my F-18 crash on March 23. Basically on take off it was veering to the right towards a fire hydrant so I pulled up hard on the elevator causing it to do a stall, twice. I wasn't able to save it and she nosed in damaging the front end. Crushed and snapped the nose in several pieces. I replaced the fuse and rudders last week and was able to reuse the wings and elevators. I also put a gyro in it as the plane is a bit twitchy. I was able to maiden the repaired plane and had no major issues. Success. That's good to hear that she was salvageable and that the new gyro helps too. Yes I remember the nose getting smooshed in but your a great builder and mechanic so there was not doubt you'd make the repairs and make her air worthy again!

Now, I usually start with the gyro gains relatively low then adjust them up little bit at a time. With planes its similar to heli's in that you have to fly around to see if further adjustments are needed, then land and make the necessary changes. Then try again. One thing that's neat about this particular gyro is its ability to be adjusted in flight if your radio has a dial on it. My DX7 does not have a dial. So no in-flight adjustments can be done. So I made the adjustments to the pots on the ground and took off. As soon as she got in the air the wings started to rock back and forth really fast. Dang, went to far on the pots. I had to throttle back to keep the wings from oscillating too badly. Luckily I was able to turn off the gyro and land. Of course with the gyro off the plane had that twitchiness again, so landing was...fun. Got her down in one piece but having a radio with a dial to make the gain adjustments in flight would have been nice. With the DX8 I can now do that. You know I have those two, many of switch and wheels if you will can be preset for what you want to do with it. I think your DX8 had a SD card in it so you can down load them to the cars for each RC and save them in your computer and here's why. A year or two ago Phil's DX-9's LCD screen went grey and was dead while we are at the other fly zone. He put a rush on a new DX9 which arrived in a day or three and slipped the card in and was back in the air. Then he sent in the broken DX9 and they rebuilt it for him, I think as a freebee because he is a huge purchaser.

I am so happy for you, a newer pre-owned
repurposed DX8 is just what the doctor ordered for you...so so happy for you!

I am making repair to the T-28 where the entire front got broken off. I used skewers to get everything in place. Now tomorrow I will Gorilla the plane together and reinstall the skewer's with glue on them. Once all is dry I will simply cut off the excess wood and repaint and she'll be back in the air!

JPEE

Mark

Old 05-17-2020, 08:20 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Part II for my other crash story:

I had a rough time with my F-16 Thunderbird a few weeks ago.

On Saturday we had some spectators that were really interested in the jets. I showed them the plane, the EDF unit, the lipo's and electronics and explained much about how it works similar to the real thing. Then I gave them a demonstration flight. The takeoff was straight and she lifted off with a nice shallow climb out. I did a nice flight with some fast low passes and inverted flight, plus some large loops and quick rolls - all in all a nice show. But then of course the landing was way too hot and long, I really should have done a go-around. But I let her touch down and she screeched by and got caught up on a tree reinforcing strap. Tore into the fuse section about 4 inches deep. How embarrassing and what a way to end an overall what was a great flight. I have to admit I was nervous having spectators.

Spent that evening fixing the damaged parts up. Used foam tac and lightweight spackle filler to clean up and fill in any gaps after the repairs. Had to also do a little work on the nose gear as it got a bit bent out of shape. Let everything dry overnight and was ready for a repair flight the next day.

Sunday I just took the F-16 as I wanted to check the repairs and just do approach and go's with the 3 lipo's I brought. I noticed that the plane was pulling rather hard to the left when taxiing but I forgot my screwdriver to straighten the nosegear linkage. Not wanting to drive back home to get it I figured I could compensate by giving extra right rudder on takeoff. So I lined up and gave some throttle. A little left but nothing too bad until I gave full throttle. She was veering to the sidewalk too quickly so I pulled hard on the elevator to get her in the air. Deja Vu with the F-18 - she nosed up, dropped the right wing, rolled over and nosed into the ground. Had that sick feeling as I watched bits of foam fly all over.

I was a bit devastated for a while as I had put a lot of work into that plane. All the paint stripping, sanding, painting, applying the stickers, and doing the stab mods. I put much of myself into it and have it so short lived. I checked over the damage and decided not to try and repair the front end. Not with the speeds it did. I couldn't chance it. So I got a replacement fuse, wings, elevators, and rudder and am going to keep it with the stock Arctic camo theme this time. Right now I'm moving all the servo's over and the EDF unit to the new fuse.

Mark

Old 05-18-2020, 09:41 AM
JPEE

Hi Mark,

Oh my goodness, spectators make so much pressure don't they. I have had to land because I could not hold my hands still from the Adrenalin! I am nearly as heart broken as you after your hard work bringing the F-16 back to life to only have her go in again the next day. Yes I saw the photos and it's heart breaking to even see them after as you said all of the paint and decal work you put in at the beginning. That's the reason I would never build a balsa and see it crash, I would need a Whisky after something like that. Foamie's, you try to repair or buy a new fuse or wing or a whole new plane and change it up a bit with a new aircraft, in my opinion. That great the all of the avionics were not damaged and you can put in your new Camo rebuild.
I could say, that's all a part of the hobby but I won't say that, but rather "such is life" and now it's time to move on.

Sorry for your loss..... and thank you for the photos!

JP
Old 05-20-2020, 10:55 AM
JPEE

Hey Mark,

Today's surgery went well! I wet all fuselage meeting surfaces and the skewer sticks too with a spray bottle. Then then I applied the Gorilla to the foam and to the sticks before I pushed them back into their respective holes, this thing will be a tank! Once that drys, I will knife off what I can and then dremel things down smooth and touch up with paint.
JPEE

Old 05-20-2020, 06:30 PM
Aframomum

Hi JPEE,

Wow, that looks really good! I do like the dowel idea. As you said, with the gorilla glue and the dowels that thing will be a tank. Nice work!

I forgot to mention that your hanging method for your airplanes is awesome, plus very simple.

Another thing I wanted to mention from our email 'novel' - I was a child of around 10 in 1983 when Hills Street Blues was on. My parents watched it, I'm sure I was probably playing in the living room while it was on. I do remember the music and the police cars from the intro. I also remember several of the characters which I recognize in other movies and TV series throughout the years (Bruce Weitz, Dennis Franz, Joe Spano). Had to watch a few youtube video's of it to help refresh the old memory.

Today was yard day as I had to weedeat, edge, cut grass, and leaf blow all the grass cuttings back into the yard. Luckily I got an early start this morning so was able to finish up by 11am. Not too bad and best thing...no sunburn! I was also able to put out some ironite as the grass has been getting yellow, so hopefully in a week or so it'll be nice and green again. Trying to make this year the year of no HOA letters...blah!

Be back in a bit...
Old 05-20-2020, 07:49 PM
Aframomum

Back again...

Yeah, spectators are something new for me as most of my flying areas are relatively free of people. Just the casual runner/walker/biker passing by is all I usually deal with. So that day was definitely an exception to the norm.

I kept all the salvageable parts so if I want to at a later date I can redo the Thunderbird theme as the wings and elevator are still usable. Would just need to replace the fuse and rudder - I think I can salvage most of the T-bird stickers.

This time I'm actually looking forward to the camo scheme. Another plus is I can use ordinance on this bird. Yes, missiles!

Also wanted to include a picture of a sunset I took last night on the way to work. I cross a bride that overlooks a large marshy area and some of the evening drives are really nice through that area. (the bright star is actually Venus)

Mark

Old 05-20-2020, 08:07 PM
JPEE

Hello Mark,

Well I made some good progress on the T 28 today. Yes the bamboo skewers really made the difference for holding everything in place while the glue set up. I took an X-Acto knife and shaved off all the extra glue and with a little touch of sandpaper and some touch up paint she looks pretty good. Tomorrow I will lift off the cowling that’s just resting on the nose in the photos and screw the motor back in and plug in the wires and then check my electronics. Should be good to go! By the way as you well know when I learned a day do not get gorilla glue on your hands LOL! I tried brake cleaner it barely touched my hands were just sticky I should’ve wore blue gloves. Looked in my stores and I found an old can of acetone and bingo doused my hands and that wiped it off with paper towels good to go. As an aside I read the directions and they didn’t say anything about how to clean it off your skin.
Bruce Weitz was my customer for the six years while I had my home repair business. I knew he and his wife very well and he only lives about 3 miles from me if that. I would’ve like to become a personal friend as he was so grounded and so nice as well as his wife, just to great people. I have seen interviews with Dennis Franz and his wife and he is so humble as well not the hard ass you see in the films. Dennis Franz. I did another job in the same area where Bruce lived and I worked next-door at Gordon clapsI did another job in the same area where Bruce lived and I worked next-door to Gordon Clapp house of NYPD. While I was the common fence he would walk out of his house into a studio he had in the backyard and we just stare at me and walk by not even acknowledging me, but rather he would look through me, for that I give him one star.
I didn’t realize you were under the guidance and leadership LMAO of an HOA...... can you say ICK!!! I’m sure knowing you as well as I do that your house looks very nice 365 as the weather will allow. Your meticulous and a neat guy so I put no credence and what they write up. As I’m writing this your next post just came in so I’m going to attach a couple of photos to this and will and see what you just wrote.

JP

Last edited by JPEE; 05-21-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:38 PM
JPEE

Originally Posted by Aframomum
Back again...

Yeah, spectators are something new for me as most of my flying areas are relatively free of people. Just the casual runner/walker/biker passing by is all I usually deal with. So that day was definitely an exception to the norm.

I kept all the salvageable parts so if I want to at a later date I can redo the Thunderbird theme as the wings and elevator are still usable. Would just need to replace the fuse and rudder - I think I can salvage most of the T-bird stickers.

This time I'm actually looking forward to the camo scheme. Another plus is I can use ordinance on this bird. Yes, missiles!

Also wanted to include a picture of a sunset I took last night on the way to work. I cross a bride that overlooks a large marshy area and some of the evening drives are really nice through that area. (the bright star is actually Venus)

Mark

Mark, that’s a very nice photo of sundown, me likie, it’s soothing! That’s great you can salvage your decals and of course both wings in the elevator, you never know when some little hiccup is going to come up and slap in the face LOL and you’ll need those parts. Wait a minute did you say missiles he he he I think me like a missile’s and ordinance big-time!That’s great you can salvage your decals and of course both wings in the elevator, you never know when some little hiccup is going to come up and slap in the face LOL and you’ll need those parts. Wait a minute did you say missiles he he he I think me like a missiles and ordinance big-time I have something to look forward to when you get it all tricked out.

I accidentally hit the unsubscribe from this page when I posted a moment ago I’m hoping that I still see your posts and I get the email maybe tomorrow I can look in to make sure that I’m subscribed it’s just too late I’m too pooped. But if you do post something and I don’t see it in a day or two then shoot me an email, I would be grateful. Be safe out there.

THIS MORNING WITH A CLEAR HEAD I GOT RE-SUBSCRIBED TO THIS FORUM....... NO WORRIES NOW :-)

Last edited by JPEE; 05-21-2020 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:08 PM
Aframomum

Look at what finally came in - I'm so excited!!!!

Afterburner Light kit

Low Throttle - Blue

Medium Throttle - Orange

High Throttle - Red
Old 05-22-2020, 08:12 PM
JPEE

Hey Mark those are really going to look great in the jet! I know Phil uses some of those too and as well as some others guys. They really give that reality, authenticity and scale look. That’s going to really be cool and you enjoy those, Can’t wait to see a debut. JP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.