Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Oh No! New Blade!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:21 PM
klaze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oh No! New Blade!

I'm going to have to say flying the 4#3b and the MSr is COMPLETELY different... Night and Day!

Within the first battery pack I was doing Fast Forward Flight with the MSR... After many months with the 4#3b I can not do forward flight.. The MSr being easy to fly may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it..

Just like with the 4#3b this heli gets moving FAST... Nothing like a Coaxial.. But it sure hovers like a coaxial!

The heli is VERY light.. And when it's in the air it feels light.. I don't like that feeling.. If you compare it to the 4#3b or 5G6 you will know what I mean.. I don't know how to explain it..

It being physically light is a bonus tho as this heli can use smaller motors, batteries and when it crashes it breaks less parts.. Although My 4#3b and 5g6 are metal so I don't break parts..

Since the MSr is SOO stable in a hover.. Much like the MCX.. I find hovering the 4#3b a lot more satisfying..

For a newb forward flight with the MSR is a lot more enjoyable because it's actually possible..

A very big bonus with this heli is the tail section.. It is direct drive.. No gear mesh to worry about.. and when you burn out a motor or break it instead of having to solder tiny wires you buy the entire tail section as 1 piece.. Makes life a lot easier.. Unless you enjoy soldering and tedious repairs.. I think I do...
Old 09-10-2009, 09:38 PM
klaze

Question: Are the servos replaceable on the MSr board like they are on the MCX board? is it the same servos?

I'm soo scared of breaking one of these servos...

The servo motor wires look to be soldered to the board.. that suckss.. I hope a new board is only like $40..
Old 09-11-2009, 10:16 AM
fusebmx13

Yes they are replaceable. And I like my msr. I have crashed and crashed it. I like it cause it is easy to fly yet very maneuverable. When I want a challenge I just fly one of my other helis. This one is just great. Everything is cheap on it and I can just fly without worrying about breaking a ton of parts. It is like a fast MCX.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:32 PM
klaze

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

Yes they are replaceable. And I like my msr. I have crashed and crashed it. I like it cause it is easy to fly yet very maneuverable. When I want a challenge I just fly one of my other helis. This one is just great. Everything is cheap on it and I can just fly without worrying about breaking a ton of parts. It is like a fast MCX.
Good to hear thanks.

That was my main reason for purchasing it.. Repairing the 4#3b is a pain.. I need to wait for parts.. tons of tiny ass screws.. etc..
Old 09-11-2009, 12:59 PM
fusebmx13

I have not had a problem with my tail. I crash everywhere. It holds very nicely as well. I use the DX7 on airplane mode. In this mode you can't really mess with the mixing. I think the heli does fine in pirouettes. I mean it wobbles a bit but I think that is what keeps it stable. I think you are expecting a little to much out of this little bird. 20 bucks says they don't come out with the MSR 2. I have been on previous forums and numerous people have stated how much better the msr was than the 4#3b. I cannot say as I do not own any walkera stuff. I have flown the novus cp and fp. Not very impressed with the tail on the cp though.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:11 PM
klaze

The MSR isn't "better" it's easier to fly. The MSR is also very cheaply built in comparison for the same money..

Another comment.. The MSR flies a lot like the Coax in that when you do forward flight with a lot of turning you quickly lose altitude.. So you have to adjust the throttle..
Old 09-11-2009, 02:29 PM
fusebmx13

That is how all helis are. When you turn you require more power. My t rex 450 or even the 250 for that matter is the exact same way. Every heli requires more around the turns to stay at the same height. Unless you are only using the rudder to spin the heli around. I do agree that the msr is cheaply built, but it flies good. It is a good entry level single rotor heli that is amazing in forward flight. I fly mine 100% throws on the radio and swashplate links. It is a whole different heli compared to the stock setup with a stock radio. I have flown it with the stock radio and I hate those things.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:32 PM
klaze

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

That is how all helis are. When you turn you require more power. My t rex 450 or even the 250 for that matter is the exact same way. Every heli requires more around the turns to stay at the same height. Unless you are only using the rudder to spin the heli around.
Ahh ok.

I definitely expected too much out of this heli because of the hype surrounding it on the forums.. I'm in another city than my DX6i so I have to wait
Old 09-11-2009, 03:25 PM
tjm5837

Wow! I can't believe this heli is being critisized so much. I think E-flite really did there homework on this one and released a winner. I think the thing is amazing. I never even had to go the co-ax route. Never even flew any other heli. Picked this one up, bound it to my Dx-7 and imeadiately was able to fly it! For me it's like the supercub of heli's. Only a lot better since you can change it to fly a lot hotter and more difficult with the included sport parts. Maybe it does fly a lot better with a programable tx like mine. Mine is bound in heli mode but haven't made any adjustments to mixing or anything. But I love the damn thing. Can't get the batteries charged up fast enough. I'm addicted. I flew it six times yesterday on my day off from work. I need more batteries!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 05:32 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

No one makes a heli anything close to this little guy, its crazy fast and fun!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:06 PM
klaze

Sorry guys I was expecting it to be more like my 4#3b... I think I may have just read too many posts about how great it was and let it get built up in my head..

Old 09-11-2009, 09:24 PM
mediclavina

The MSR is more enjoyable when using a programmable TX. I'm using my DX6i and I love the way the flight characteristics can be customized to my liking. I currently set it up for tight indoor flying. It is the only single-rotor heli I can fly to do circuits, figure 8s, and funnels within an 8 x 8 area.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:26 AM
klaze

Oh man.. After flying the MSr for a few days with NO 4#3b .. Then going back to the 4#3b.. it's... Scary..

I may have to keep the MSr.. Now I know why a lot of you guys have soo many helis.. each one is soo different and has it's own "personality" ..
Old 09-13-2009, 12:13 PM
mediclavina

In my case, I only keep the helis that work at my skill level. The rest get *thrown* away.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:03 AM
tjm5837

ORIGINAL: mediclavina

The MSR is more enjoyable when using a programmable TX. I'm using my DX6i and I love the way the flight characteristics can be customized to my liking. I currently set it up for tight indoor flying. It is the only single-rotor heli I can fly to do circuits, figure 8s, and funnels within an 8 x 8 area.

Hey mediclavina. When you say you've set it up to fly indoors, I assume you bound it in heli mode like I did. How have you altered your settings? I must admit I'm new to heli's and don't really understand the settings for them and what they do. But I can see by scrolling through on my Dx 7 there are a lot of options. Currently mine is set to default. It flies great, but I wonder if it could fly even better. Doing what you do in an 8 x 8 area sounds pretty amazing.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:36 AM
dunkonu23

I'm loving my mSR to death! I have it set up in single servo heli mode and it's just so much fun to blast around my great room or outside in the back yard. Ihave broken a set of skids and blade grips, but not lately. What I did when I replaced the grips was simple: I put a drop of CA where the slotted sides meet and it hasn't even shown a hint of wanting to break grips.I have maybe 1 or 2 clicks of rudder trim and that's it. I do use the swashplate tool after every crash, though. It's stable as all get out, and extremely fast for such a small helicopter. In other forums there are reports of the tail motor end capcoming off. People are using heat shrink, and electrical tape to hold the end cap on.Preventatively, Iused apiece of shrink.

Great little helicopter!

Scott
Old 09-14-2009, 07:59 PM
mediclavina

ORIGINAL: tjm5837

ORIGINAL: mediclavina

Hey mediclavina. When you say you've set it up to fly indoors, I assume you bound it in heli mode like I did. How have you altered your settings? I must admit I'm new to heli's and don't really understand the settings for them and what they do. But I can see by scrolling through on my Dx 7 there are a lot of options. Currently mine is set to default. It flies great, but I wonder if it could fly even better. Doing what you do in an 8 x 8 area sounds pretty amazing.
1) Make sure the Swash Type is 90 degrees (Servo90)...not CCPM.

2) Adjust the rudder expo (D/R&EXPO, then RUDD) to at least -70% (negative value). This should help you avoid smacking the MSR to the wall when doing a turn, because of slow rudder response.

3) Adjust your throttle curve (THRO CUR) to 0, 50, 67, 84, 100. This should enable your MSR to take off quickly without having to slide around first.

4) Check the swash movement. If the elevator control pulls Up when applying Right rudder (and Down when Left rudder), go to MIX 1 and set the following values: RUDD -> ELEV, D +44%, U +57%
Leave the other settings as is. The +44% and 57% values indicated above may vary slightly for your MSR. Adjust it accordingly.

Many MSR owners realized these helis are not setup exactly the same way in the factory. There are other settings you may have to do depending on how the controls are mixed in your MSR.

As much as possible, avoid using your radio trim buttons for aileron and elevator controls. If your MSR drifts to certain direction when hovering even when the control sticks are centered, try adjusting the servo pushrod links connected to the swashplate arms.

When doing circuits, I prefer going Right when doing turns. If you see the MSR suddenly gaining speed on Right turns, try pulling up (elevator) slightly as you make the turn and release as it completes 180 degrees turn.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Ribbit

I'm finally getting confident with my RTF flying around indoors now. Slow maneuvers still, but I'm not banging into walls so much any more.

Today I ordered a DX6i, which should help things considerably from what I've been reading. The controller that came with my mSR is going to be used with the mCX bind-n-fly that I ordered for the wife (she was jealous that I had a copter, and she didn't... she crashed mine a bunch of times so I offered to get her a tamer model )

Old 09-14-2009, 10:29 PM
tjm5837

Wow! sounds like you know what your doing.. I'm not sure I do. Anywhere beside the Dx7 manual that describes heli setup and what each programing adjustment does. I am hesitant to change a lot of things, since I am able to fly inside the house very well. Except of course when the air conditioner switches on and causes unpredicable turbulance. But even then I'm able to fly well without crashing. I probably will try some of this stuff though.. probably just change one thing at a time.
The throttle curve and rudder adjustments sound pretty helpful. Thanks for the details. I just wish I understood a little more.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:27 AM
klaze

1) Make sure the Swash Type is 90 degrees (Servo90)...not CCPM.

2) Adjust the rudder expo (D/R&EXPO, then RUDD) to at least -70% (negative value). This should help you avoid smacking the MSR to the wall when doing a turn, because of slow rudder response.

3) Adjust your throttle curve (THRO CUR) to 0, 50, 67, 84, 100. This should enable your MSR to take off quickly without having to slide around first.

4) Check the swash movement. If the elevator control pulls Up when applying Right rudder (and Down when Left rudder), go to MIX 1 and set the following values: RUDD -> ELEV, D +44%, U +57%
Leave the other settings as is. The +44% and 57% values indicated above may vary slightly for your MSR. Adjust it accordingly.

Many MSR owners realized these helis are not setup exactly the same way in the factory. There are other settings you may have to do depending on how the controls are mixed in your MSR.

As much as possible, avoid using your radio trim buttons for aileron and elevator controls. If your MSR drifts to certain direction when hovering even when the control sticks are centered, try adjusting the servo pushrod links connected to the swashplate arms.

When doing circuits, I prefer going Right when doing turns. If you see the MSR suddenly gaining speed on Right turns, try pulling up (elevator) slightly as you make the turn and release as it completes 180 degrees turn.

Let me know how it goes.
Great advice. The tail was bothering me in clockwise rotations..
Old 09-16-2009, 10:03 PM
klaze

So I finally broke something.. After maybe 20 crashes full speed into the wall..

One of the screws holding the blade grip together got pulled out a bit and the blade grips pulled off the feathering shaft..

So I lost the o-rings and bushings.. Nothing really broke except for the blade grip screw stripping out the hole..

Easy to repair.. Now I just pray that my poorly stocked hobby shop has the parts..
Old 09-17-2009, 06:42 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Klaze, Smith Brothers has a good stock. I tore through one blade grip a week ago and CA'ed it together. Can you find any of the parts on the floor?

Thank you for radio set up help mediclavina, I'll start using my JR 9 channel soon.

Joe
Old 09-17-2009, 12:09 PM
klaze

I also damaged the tailmotor..

Instead of the endcap popping off.. It got pushed into the back of the motor..

I hate adding weight to my helis but I may have to add some shrink tubing this time around..
Old 09-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Fly To Chill
My Feedback: (20)

Can some one tell me what Rudd -> means and after ELEV you have d and u what dose that maen,I got everything else but I dont understand this part.thanks
Old 09-18-2009, 08:35 PM
speedy72vega

Well, I finally got mine today!!! I love this thing. I can definitely see that it's going to take me a bit of practice to get good with it, but i'm up for the challenge!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.