Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

E-flight starting to really make me mad...

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

E-flight starting to really make me mad...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:33 PM
dougxfresh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-flight starting to really make me mad...

Lets start out with I have the e-flight Blade CX3 and the aircraft is about a solid 5 days old.

Ill spare the specifics, but out of the box the heli had a bad inner shaft and really bad Tbowl effect going on making it hell for a beginner. So after a while i crash (before i fix tbowl), strips the outer shaft gear set and when i go to replace it the damn collar set screw is on so tight i have to use a dremel to cut it off.

This point im not very happy but i get a bunch of parts and say im gonna make this thing air worthy, replace everything shafts, upgraded the lower rotor head, got a motor heatsink to just make this thing about perfect. I get everything together, get the body on make sure my leds are working and spin it up. Alright i get it up in the air and WOW its so stable now flys like a charm so im thinking im gonna have a great time flying the rest of the day...

E-flight thinks otherwise , I get great stable flying action, awesome control and then it starts spinning clockwise after a couple mins of flight, uh-oh they figured out how to screw me over again! After checking this all out it goes up in the air good for maybe 30 seconds then start spinning clock wise, down try it again same thing, look it over try again same thing. So i got it narrowed down to the 3in1 control, it almost looks like once it starts spinning the until reverses the direction of the lower blade giving a nice proper clockwise spin. Maybe not but anyway Im pretty sure its the 3in1 since it does go up and fly perfectly fine for a little bit until the unit decides to kick in the spin.

Got about 300 bucks invested on a 5 day old heli that has been completely torn down fixed and they manage to screw me over somehow. Well there is always warranty repair but if i have to send in the whole thing then forget that, there is no telling how they would screw up my heli that i worked so hard on if i sent it to them. If i can just send in the unit or get my LHS to give me a new unit that would be nice and it would save me $45 bucks.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Mack66

Default RE: E-flight starting to really make me mad...

I'm just a newbie, having gotten my CX2 for Christmas. However, it looks like you aren't a newbie so here's some thoughts.

I'm surprised you didn't pursue the TBE problem ASAP rather than waiting to crash, given you already have a 400. That might have kept you from having to replace other parts. Did you call tech support? I found them extremely helpful after my second or third crash rendered mine unflyable. And by the way, you can give them your phone number and they'll call you back so you don't have to wait on hold if you're the impatient type. I waited on hold and they kept you informed on your status periodically so I didn't mind.

You may have a "lemon", but if you didn't give tech support a chance before giving it major surgery, it's hard for them to help. Regardless, it sounds like the 3-in-1 might have gotten damaged during your crash(es), or it is just plain not good. Try calling tech support and see what they say you need to give them a chance to defend themselves before you flame them.

By the way, I was tempted to disassemble my outer shaft for easier access to replace my motors and found that the collar set screw was impossible to move. After having thought about it for a while, I'm convinced that they have applied Loktite to the set screw and I think the way out of the dillemma is to apply heat to the set screw with a soldering iron before attempting to loosen it. I'd be interested in hearing from others on how they have dealt with this issue. You did use loktite on your set screw when you reassembled, didn't you?

Hope you get your baby flying I'm having lots of fun with my CX2 and it's helping me learn orientation.

Mack
Old 07-12-2009, 07:18 PM
dougxfresh

Well im a beginner I dont have a 400 either this is first one.

I keep on doing these short flight and for some reason the problem cleared up by itself, hell if i can explain this one. I wont complain though, i can actually learn to fly this baby now. I did not replace the inner shaft first because it was my first heli and wasn't sure if it really was Tbowl or not. So it wasnt until the tear down that i decided to replace it to make sure that wasnt causing me problems. Anyway its working now, had a few problems but it is flying smoothly at last.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Mack66

So are you still mad? [sm=wink_smile.gif]

Happy flying! It takes LOTS of practice.

Mack
Old 07-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Stumblebee

ORIGINAL: dougxfresh

Well im a beginner I dont have a 400 either this is first one.

I keep on doing these short flight and for some reason the problem cleared up by itself, hell if i can explain this one. I wont complain though, i can actually learn to fly this baby now. I did not replace the inner shaft first because it was my first heli and wasn't sure if it really was Tbowl or not. So it wasnt until the tear down that i decided to replace it to make sure that wasnt causing me problems. Anyway its working now, had a few problems but it is flying smoothly at last.
Have you had the opportunity to fly your CX3 in a really large area like a gymnasium? I found that mine really was not happy in a living room with furniture in it. Too much turbulence from the furniture. My calmed down quite a bit after a couple of good runs in a large area. Regarding that set screw, have you considered using a better screwdriver than the one that comes with the CX3? While it works fine for me, some have found using a screwdriver with a better handle works for them by allowing more torque. Snap-On has a good one if you can catch one of their dealers.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:55 PM
dougxfresh

Yeah I tried some really high quality screw drivers but there was just too much loctite on that tiny set screw that it just would not budge at all, the only choice i had was to cut it off. I think things might have been getting too hot even though it wasnt all that hot were i was flying. Its been running the last few packs without any problems and the flying also has really smoothed out quite a bit. Thanks man!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42238.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1235137