Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:44 AM
dunkonu23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with single rotor basics V2

I have to rebuild the engine.     It has very little compression.  That means the head gasket and/or ring.  If the latter, that's a sleeve, too.  UGH. 

If she shows interest, get her into it, Ivan.

Scott
Old 05-25-2012, 05:35 PM
phillyD

Ah ha Sir Chucky
You hit the nail on the hammer opps I mean you hit the hammer on the nail. that is why I goota do another test. the first doppler test was done on the old vid which told me I was doing 63 mph then...that is why ith the upgraded motor, the sensor now read 63mph...air speed and ground speed must be dfferent. I saw on youtube where the guys tested with radar gun, on-board sensor and doppler and the came to within 1mph of each other. Any which way I'll have the pampers in place.

Hey you got all the wind your way now and i got none. please keep the wind until tuesday pleeeeaaase Uncle Chucky?

Oh you Ivan and scotty can hold on to this in the mean while http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub9Ep...eature=relatedI'm using this vid to train my eyes
Old 05-26-2012, 09:42 AM
dunkonu23

I see what you mean, Phil. It's a great eye trainer! How did that guy fly that rocket so far out then got it back?

On my front...Ifound the problem with my YS56SR engine. The ring froze. Blowby bigtime. The piston and sleeve are ruined. Parts should be here today. UGH.

Scott
Old 05-26-2012, 02:21 PM
phillyD

Oh my gosh Scotty
For you do you think you have a preference of electric over nitro or vise versa?
Old 05-26-2012, 02:24 PM
9sec240

Just got back from the field. Nica and I were flying one of the F-22 raptors. First step was the simulator. She does quite well on that. Second was on the sim but standing using the neck strap so she could get used to how she would actually be flying. She did well. Third step was on the buddy box at the park. She did really well especially considering the wind. As you would expect, turns back into herself were tough as was nose in but overall, she did really well. Eight packs and we only had one small incident with a tree. Plane needs a minor fix but is still flyable.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:27 PM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Ivan - but did she seem to enjoy it? She certainly seemed to be having fun on the sim when she told me about it!

Scott - great news you found it, sucky on what it is. I've really been considering a fuel powered truck but...

Philly - HOLY COW!!!!! Now that was fast, man o' man... You got it, man. I have the wind in my yard trapped in a net & I won't let her go until Wednesday!

I maidened the T-28 today, in between fronts the wind died down for 2.456345 packs! It went at least 10 MPH! With the wind! The 1st pack was a bit dicey w/ a lot of over correcting. 2nd pack I kicked up the expo & it went much better. Then I had to cut the 3rd pack short when the wind almost took it into the top of the trees! Had a hard time landing it because of the wind gusts, did a little nose dive just above the gnd but no damage.

Happy 3 day weekend... 96° F & humid tomorrow
Old 05-26-2012, 04:32 PM
phillyD

Nice piece of story telling Sir Ivan
Chucky.. make sure you block all the holes on the net before the wind escapes LMFAOOh and Chucky Don't be afraid of the trees..remember I got the removal system LMAO again
Old 05-26-2012, 06:24 PM
9sec240

Chuck, I had to remind her that it was just a $1 piece of foam and to breathe... lol. She did have fun. The wind did not help much either. You tell me... looks like fun?

Old 05-26-2012, 06:44 PM
clp.eng

Way to go, Nica!

Breathing is the really hard part isn't it?? LOL

Chuck
Old 05-26-2012, 08:17 PM
dunkonu23

ORIGINAL: phillyD

Oh my gosh Scotty
For you do you think you have a preference of electric over nitro or vise versa?
Nitro's are a pain in the AZZ, bro. I'll never get another one. Electrics? Yeah, buddy! Putting the engine back together today was like a puzzle. Not a good puzzle, either. This little indentation lining up with that little indentation... no service manual... Put the piston in the top of the sleeve? Nope. Put in the piston, then line up the sleeve, push it down over the piston. YUCK. It took four hours longer than it should have taken, but it's finished, put back together and I'll try to start it in the morning. If it doesn't start, I'm gonna forget about it.. Davey Jones' Locker for it. So, there you go, Phil.. nope.. let's chant... No more nitro! No more nitro!

Scott

Old 05-26-2012, 08:18 PM
dunkonu23

Good job, Ivan and Nica! Breathe... it's good for you. Next up... mcpx????

Scott
Old 05-27-2012, 09:41 AM
clp.eng

Scott - shh, don't tell Ivan but when I asked her about helis, she wasn't so keen on that notion! Who knows she may come around to the insanity!!

Philly - there was a break in & an attempted rescue. Some of the wind is unaccounted for. SORRY! I think the racoons chewed through the netting looking for food...
And I'll remember the "long arm of PhillyD" should I end up in a tree! LOL

Windy when I got up, windy now and temps in the 90's & humid. Indoor stuff today, unless it cools off before sunset.

Chuck

Old 05-27-2012, 02:47 PM
dunkonu23

Well, the rebuild was successful. The engine fired right up in a perfect idle. I ran a tank in normal mode at hover and it was fine. A couple more tanks tomorrow in hover and it'll be good to go. Ineed to redo the rate mode tail setup, but after that, it's all good.

Oh, yeah.. WINDEEE here this afternoon. Not hot as predicted, but that'll come tomorrow.

Scott
Old 05-27-2012, 06:21 PM
9sec240

What do you think caused the damage Scott?
Old 05-27-2012, 07:32 PM
dunkonu23

I think this was last years failure. I remember the engine acting as it was last year (after Ithought it was fixed at Daytononly at Dayton it would idle and had more compression), last week... fuel dripping from the pipe in hover, it wouldn't idle, then it just stopped. Ihave no idea what caused it. The engine shows no discoloring so it wasn't running too lean. It may be a simple part failure. I wish I was better at this kind of analysis, but Ijust don't know root cause.

Scott
Old 05-27-2012, 08:07 PM
phillyD

Wowsers Ivan
You doin just fine and Nica doin even better...She has a whole free arsenal of.....HHHmmm what will i fly today LMAO.

Nice piece of work there Sir Scott..you got the baby jammin again.

Thanks for holding onto the wind Sir Chuck, it seems like rain is gonna slip under the wire
Old 05-27-2012, 08:16 PM
dunkonu23

Here are some pictures of the bad parts... the head gasket survived, but I think it's a one use item.

Scott
Old 05-28-2012, 06:19 AM
9sec240

Wow Scott, that thing is tore up!!
Old 05-28-2012, 07:25 AM
dunkonu23

It's jammin' hard now, Phil! Man, what a pain, though. No more. Plus, it's almost cheaper to forget the old engine and buy new. Don't get me wrong, 90 percent of what I did is learning, so that's good. It's just a pain to pull all that stuff apart and put it back together. It did feel good to have the engine fire right up, though!

Ivan, yep tore up bad. I just wish I knew what caused it. The pictures show black scoring but it's not there in direct view. I suspect the black stuff is shadow.

This week, starting tomorrow, Mid America Fun Fly... class first, then the fun fly. It's not supposed to be hot, so that's good.

Scott
Old 05-28-2012, 05:42 PM
phillyD

Thanks Sir Chuckyfeller
Let the wind loose now. You were great even with the attempted breakin...wind 5 to 10 mph...Sensor speed of the EDF.... 82 mph. I dunno what i got on vid. I was not skilled enough to keep it in the view- finder.

Scotty! Seems some sandpaper and stones got away in you combustion chamber wow.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:14 PM
9sec240

Much too windy for buddy boxing with the planes so Nica spent some time today flying the mCX indoors. She is catching on very quickly.... so quickly we took the CX2 out and she flew that in the living room and then outside. Still working on building the F-22. She is too much of a perfectionist which is taking a bit of extra time. It will be one fine plane when she is done though.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 PM
phillyD

Wowsers Sir Ivan the Terrible
She's taking like a duck to water with this flying stuff
Old 05-29-2012, 06:46 PM
clp.eng

Ivan - if she enjoys building it, have her build me one! WOW! CX2 outside, she is a quick study. I see the 600 w/ the KDS in a couple of weeks! LOL

Philly - Now what do I do???? I opened the net & the wind won't go away!! LOL Gusts in the mid twenties again today! I'm going to forget everything I learned 2 weeks ago!

Chuck
Old 05-30-2012, 07:21 AM
phillyD

Oh Sir Chucky
It is like the movie here now.."DEADCALM" naw you ain't gonna forget one battery pack and it all comes rushing back.
The vid of the EDF 82mph flight ain't top class. there are passes of the plane as I wanted to see it, but I'm not sure if it is worth putting up.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:18 AM
9sec240

Scott is at Mid America Fun Fly. I know that Chuck and I are contending with the wind here in Chicago. How are you doing Phil, Dave, Bill, etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.