Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Mini Ultra Stick

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 PM
fishguide
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Ultra Stick

I am new to electric flight. I am thinking about buying a Mini Ultra Stick, but I need some info on batteries used In the aircraft. I understand the LI-Po aspect. Using an 11.1 volt battery with my AR6100 receiver won't work. So where do you get 4.8 volts? Ni cad Pack? That's is considerable weight. I saw a device called A BEC that looks promising. Do they work?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:50 AM
divergoff

Default RE: Mini Ultra Stick

The way its done most of the time is through the ESC (Speed Controller). The battery connects to the ESC which kinda acts as both a BEC and ESC. The ESC supplies the battery power to your receiver at a low voltage and that supplies it to your servos. The ESC pulls double duty as the speed controller and a voltage regulator to the receiver. For the MUS I'd suggest this setup,

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1400 Motor
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLA311B ESC
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ID=THP21003SPL Battery

The only extra thing you will need besides the plane and servos and prop (obvious) is the battery connector of your choice.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2250 Eflite's recommend set up This is what I run and love the plane, only 2 additions, bigger wheels and a steerable tail wheel.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:28 AM
fishguide

Thanks for your reply. Great info. Can you tell me about your bigger wheels and steerable tail wheel?
I am ordering the PNP verision. I think all I need is: 2100mAh 3-Cell 11.1V LiPo,16GA [THP21003SPL]
&
EC3 Device & Battery Connector, Male/Female EFLAEC303]
It comes with all the rest as you recommended.

Thanks again
Old 03-14-2008, 04:33 PM
GoldKraft

ORIGINAL: fishguide

I am new to electric flight. I am thinking about buying a Mini Ultra Stick, but I need some info on batteries used In the aircraft. I understand the LI-Po aspect. Using an 11.1 volt battery with my AR6100 receiver won't work. So where do you get 4.8 volts? Ni cad Pack? That's is considerable weight. I saw a device called A BEC that looks promising. Do they work?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If you have the version 1.6 AR6100 you should be ok without using a separate BEC. Also I would suggest an ARF kit and buy electronics separatly. Im using a separate BEC but Im using 7 channels .

I use the dubro light wieght 2 in wheels and 40 size tail wheel l
Old 03-15-2008, 06:01 AM
fishguide

Thanks for your reply, I have ordered the 2 inch wheels and tail wheel....
Thanks again
Old 03-16-2008, 06:33 PM
divergoff

I have 2" wheels also and the 40 size tailwheel from Durbo i think. I have the PNP and have heard many complaints about the electrons and I personally have zero problems. I crashed the PNP pretty bad and needed a new motor and esc among other things and see no real difference.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:10 PM
JayDizzl879

My PNP came with a warning stating that an external BEC was highly recommended due to known failures. I installed a [link=http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V718224&pid=V888392]ParkBEC[/link] right off the bat and it's had no problems in ten flights, so far. I use these BECs on my helis too.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:59 PM
fishguide

Ok mine had no warning on it... Aslo no switch or any info on it at all!