Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hydro-Foam by Michael Connally

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Hydro-Foam by Michael Connally

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 08:20 PM
monstermaker13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hydro-Foam by Michael Connally

ordered my 4 channle futaba wth 3 micro servos and receiver for 99.00$, should be here on thursday, all i need now is my kit to come in from california..................
Old 04-23-2006, 08:23 PM
monstermaker13

i didnt say it was going to be bad, i didnt mean to offend you , but all i said is it isnt going to be great.its not going to be like a 200.00$ super quality airplane. but i do hope its good, when it comes out ill probly get one to fly with my hydrofoam.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Matt14x

Alpiz

Thanks for the mho in the wind report. You are a confidence builder indeed.

I took two nitro birds and two elect birds , one of which was my mho, to the club field mon.. Winds were on the low side of 10 mph . Almost a perfict day. When I brought the mho out, WE became the center of attraction. Everybody thought hrdros were hard to fly. when ther saw how stsble they were, They wanted one.

I know now why I fly nitro birds. It gives me something to do while the lipos are charging. lol

I only wish I could express my feelings better about Connallys hydro.

Onne happy flyer

Matt
Old 04-25-2006, 10:37 PM
xlphotopro

I seen this video on ebay,and you dont get the boat in the video, you get a cheap P.O.S.When i asked if the boat for sale was just like the one in the video they said it's just like the description.Buyer beware[:@]
Old 04-25-2006, 11:07 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks Matt14x! so the guys at the club were impressed were they? That's no surprise... This thing leaves no one indifferent. Even those to whom rc doesn't usually appeal to at all can't help but stop and look, even come and ask questions.

I just bought a polycharge 4 to charge multi lipos simultaneously, now all i need is a high capacity power supply and a few more packs and waiting for a charged pack will be a thing of the past! I don't have any nitros, flight buddies keep busting my chops for it. I don't care, i prefer electrics for now. I could get the nitro bug someday you never know. For some reason i allways prefer the underdogs of this world. I was into amd processors before it was cool, i prefer sport compacts to muscle cars or luxury sedans (flame on... and for the record i never had a civic or a single piece of rice on any of my rides) Even with rc, my debut says it all; zip-zaps! Followed by 1:24 mini-z, then 1/18th scale cars and trucks... The logical route was small electrics, little did i know at the time that they are actually trickyer to fly than their large gas counterparts...

My latest toy is a Graupner Nemesis. It's all ready to go, i just need to find a brass or alloy tube with a 1.5mm I/D and 2.0mm O/D to mount the prop direct drive on this little feigao brushless motor. This is going to be a scary little bugger, no rudder... (4100kv, 4x3 cam speed prop, 300mah 2cell 20C lipo, phoenix 10 esc, 2 bluebird servos, berg 4ch 4 gram rx and a lightenna)

Wish someone made me a 4 channel Edge 540 foamie of those dimensions now that would be a cool plane to carry in the glovebox...
Old 04-27-2006, 07:39 PM
outdoors_fan87

Hey everybody, I'm a newbie to the RC world so take it easy on me. I just got the hydrofoam walkera 58 and was playing with it on my pond, which was a stupid thing to do since it was my first time, when it just took off into the air and nose dived back into the pond. Fortunately it landed upright and the servos still work. However, once I dried everything off, I can't seem to get the prop spinnign again. I tried swtiching some of the controller's switches on its back but no luck. Could it be possible my speed controller is fried? The motor is fine if it gets wet right? Also, what are the default settings for the 1 to 10 swtiches on the back of the controller? I hope this thing isn;t fried already.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Old 05-16-2006, 04:10 AM
UAV Pilot

@@@
Old 08-28-2006, 10:01 PM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

This is the end of august all most were can i get a kit at i have read more topics on different hydro's and there is a bunch of them out there arf's kits toys wow to tell the truth i am tired of reading about them i must say Michel Connally has a good thing going and i want one BUT were do i get it at thanks
Old 08-29-2006, 12:11 AM
aflipz

http://www.teamsteadfast.com/store/i...430829346e20fb

this is the only one to get... (not affiliated, just a satisfied pilot)

I bought 3 kits, built one, sold one and preciously hanging on to the 3rd unbuilt kit should something ever happen to mine. I LOVE it and will allways have one ready to go.

Michael Connally never released a kit, this is the only adaptation that actually flies like a real rc plane. I believe Michael Connally was involved with the development of a flying toy that ressembles this thing without possibly matching true rc gear performance.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:06 AM
layback2

Thank you aflipz i have been trying to find a link to red's hanger site with no luck i am going to order one does it have decals with the Hydro plain white is all i read at the site again thanks a lot oh i must have missed something what is the actual size of the Hydro finished
Old 08-29-2006, 01:44 PM
aflipz

it does not come with decals, it is white depron.

You are going to want to keep this one as light as possible, recomended paint would be tamya or other hobby ACRYLIC paint. preferably thinned with water or tamya x20 thinner and airbrushed on nice and thin. Some say you should avoid painting the back 2/3 of the airframe to avoid shifting cg too far back.

I used small pieces of light covering to create a "decal" scheme on mine; not too heavy and can easily be removed to alter look later on.

you are going to LOVE it!

(if you are going to run on water only, you can also not use the provided plywood skids, they are a little heavy, search this thread there are alternatives like rhino skin etc...)
Old 08-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Van

I had one of Red's Miss Hangar One Hydros. It flew pretty good, but I couldn't get spritly performance out of it like others had in their videos. I recently picked up a Gemini from Robbe. IMHO, it's a far superior flying plane than any of the Hydro's I've tried. Not to hijack this thread, but you can read more on the Gemini here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539490 On the down side, it is more a float plane than a boat that flies and it's not readily available in the U.S. yet, but well worth the money.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:48 PM
aflipz

Too bad you didn't get to enjoy your mho, mind sharing some more info on it's setup like auw, motor, packs and props used etc. Most people are entirely satisfied with theirs, myself included.

Nice find by the way, i'm very tempted to try one of these robbe's too but i have so many planes and so little money, someone donate one to me and i'll post a side by side comparison of both with video, all i need is the arf

Seriously though i'd love to get my thumbs on one!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Van

My MHO had a Littlescreamer PP, GWS 7x3.5 and 8x4 prop, TP1320PL 3-cell, Cool Runnings A-12 ESC, ~160watts, and an all-up weight of 13.5 +/- oz. It flew off this setup, but like I said, it wasn't spritly performance. Maybe my altitude had something to do with it? I also tried a Xtra 2626-09 motor with the same props with no real change in performance. Now the same setup (Xtra motor) in my Gemini, which comes in at about the same weight performs a lot differently...it's got vertical, zips across the sky, etc. I think the MHO had a far superior Wow factor in that it doesn't look like it should fly. Please don't think I'm poo-pooing the MHO. I liked it, but I found I like the Gemini better. I also have a Ikarus Wizard. Jesh...the Wizard while smaller and lighter flew no where near as good as the MHO. It too had ho-hum performance. Maybe me and hydro's just don't get along.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:00 AM
aflipz

well, i don't know where in nevada you are but you could easily be in the 4-5000 feet elevation wich means you should prop a little more agressively than i'd have to asl. did you measure 160 watts? 1520kv is a really fast motor for direct drive on a "slowflyer" you want a prop that can take serious rpm's especially in your thinner air otherwise your prop becomes inneficient. I'd give a graupner 8x6 cam slim prop a go if i were you. If you still have your mho that is. You definitely don't want to up the diameter as 8" allready is prone to prop strikes.

I run a 30 gram 1300kv outrunner i bought off ebay for peanuts on mine and it gave plenty of power from a 7x4 apc slowfly for a long time. I got tired of drawing so many amps though and decided to try a 6.6x3 graupner cam slim prop. This thing is much thinner, lighter and stiffer than the apc's. I put it on and so far only thrust tested in my hand (i have yet to fly the setup) and it feels like more thrust than i had before. I put it on the watt meter; it pulls only 8.9A from a 3cell lipo (20c 1200) I can't wait to fly it like this. I was running a phoenix 10 on there and it sometimes overheated as my setup was drawing 12.5 wot static with the 7x4 apc and i often got a little throttle happy with this thing. I think it makes more power from fewer amps because the prop spins at much higher rpm without loosing it's shape and is thus capable of moving more air with less wasted energy.

I can't wait to fly it like this, i think the prop is just better adapted to this type of motor, i believe the cam slim series is sort of a hybrid between a slowfly and a speed prop not sure if i'm right but so far i like the result, i'll have to try more of these. I havent tested this thing in flight yet but i expect to gain longer flights, cooler esc and better pack cycle life and less prop torque.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:44 AM
corona672

what do you guys think about possibly strenghting the depron? would that be too heavy? also, about how fast does the mho go about and is it durable?

thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Van

The MHO already has most the strengthening members it needs (c/f tubes and such). I did add flat 3mm c/f strips on the LE of the vertical stabs and across the LE of the upper horizontal stab for extra strength.

As for durability, Depron is more of a brittle type foam. It'll break reasonably easy, but just as quickly glues back together with foam friendly CA. I wouldn't call it so fragile that it breakes everytime you touch it.

As for speed. The MHO wasn't built for blinding speed. I'm not a good judge at guestimating MPH. Consider it a park flier that easily flies within the confines of a school park or small pond area. I think it's most impressive with quick little bursts of speed and then enough power for good verticals. You can bring it in at a high AOA with some throttle and plop it down at a nice slow speed.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:02 PM
corona672

ok , thanks could u even put a light coat of super glue on it.. or would that be way to heavy.... i have also heard that ur not supposed to paint some of it for messed up cg...?

idk...

thanks...
Old 08-30-2006, 09:59 PM
aflipz

definitely do not coat it with ca... way too heavy, If you paint, make sure it's light.

It will fly even heavy but will not be as impressive and will not perform well off water (limits prop diameter because the floats sink and don't allow enough prop clearance.

Mine is a bit on the heavy side, and i still fly it off water and it's still absolutely incredible in high alpha. I'm aiming for a couple of ounces lighter with the same power setup next time it'll be a killer!
Old 09-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Matt14x

My MH1 flipped over while it was playing on the water,( it sometime thinks its a boat ). The mtr. is a hymax hc 2808-1180 , and was under-water for aprox. five min.

After recovery, everything works ! Am I in trouble, and don't know it, or just lucky. What should I do now.

Matt
Old 09-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Van

Let it dry, apply a little oil to the bearing, go fly!
Old 09-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Matt14x

Can't get to the brg..
Can't even see it.

Does anybody know if it's a sealed bearing ?

Matt
Old 09-10-2006, 11:55 AM
aflipz

one of them is visible from the back, under the mounting plate, the shaft sticks trhough it and is held to it's inner flange by a circlip. the other is inside the can, you'd have to undo the rear circlip and pull the head off to access the front one. If it was freshwater and it's not squeaking when you rotate it it'll probably be fine... tepid pond water can't really wash out all the grease of a bearing on it's own just by dipping in it for 5 minutes...

there are dust shields on these bearings but they can never be 100% sealed... It would suffice to re-oil them by putting a drop of oil on top of the shield and rotating the bearing so it bleeds into the bearings. no need to remove the shields. don't even worry about a little freshwater it i'd say. i'm sure it's fine.

here's a pic of the stator showing the front bearing that you'd see when you remove the can, i stole this one from rcg, not my pick.

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=782930]pic[/link]
Old 09-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Matt14x

Aflipz

It was fresh water, and it's not squaking, yet.
The instructions say not to take it apart, but you know how that goes.
Think I'll leave it alone untill or if i hear squeaking or feel binding.

Thank you

Matt

PS I need a lighter mtr. anyway. This one weighs 52g.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:04 PM
layback2

I just want to know when the kits will be out this is the first one that was ever seen and i still want one a kit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.