Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

CrazyBall

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CrazyBall

I fixed the plane. Here is the latest video.

Tim

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y0OFhECEfM[/youtube]
Old 03-22-2011, 03:33 AM
rocket_jim

Yay! That looks much more controllable than before.

Some time when you are videoing and feel comfortable doing so, please announce when you will go to hands off and half throttle, and also when you go to hands off and three-quarter throttle. I'd like to see it do those special manuevers!

Thanks for sharing it and for leading the way!

Do you know how to recognize the Pioneers in a crowd? They are the ones with the arrows in their backs! :-)

Jim
Old 03-22-2011, 05:12 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I still have the balance a bit forward, so no hands off for now. But I will try to do that.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

OK, here we go....

Flight Report on the CrazyBall.

I flew 4 batteries through the CrazyBall today. I have not flown 4 packs through a single airframe out front in a while. I got warmed up by harrier hovering a Vapor, but that is a different story.

I attached a spring clamp to a bit of string and discovered that my balance was actually aft, in the area that is marked as advanced[X(] I did not expect that. So I did not play with the CG. I had already put the motor mount there, on the advanced side. Oh and this is huge, I changed the way I mounted my servos. At this point I would recommend cutting the surgical tape from the servo slots entirely. Then centering your servo, and then centering the servo in the provided space. I am using hot glue to hold my servos in place at this point.

OK, I had a blast. I spent the first battery being happy I did not have a camera attached, and really feeling out the plane. This is the first time I knew where I stand with the official cg as well as having had a truly successful flight. So it was a feel it out flight.

The closest thing I have to the way this flies is my Ikarus Pitts. But it is not the same, just mildly similar[X(]. The plane is, to me, primarily controlled via rudder/elevator, with trim adjustments via throttle and ailerons.

Darn, I have lost the joy of the flights in the technical stuff. The plane is a blast to fly, it chases it's tail well. You will be doing knife edges or inverted flight easily. Perhaps the ailerons are best described attitude thrusters. If you are a pilot that has flown a plane that needs rudder to turn, or a heli pilot, this thing is for you.

I am having a huge amount of fun with this bird.

Tim
Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

New video.

Tim

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDVlb5v42JM[/youtube]
Old 03-23-2011, 04:30 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

OK. I have switched up to a motor rated for a bigger prop. That is part of the joy of the $6 motors, the mounts are interchangable. If you are using a Blue Wonder, have no fear, you will not need to do this. My Bugs have had Blu Wonders for their entire existence. And the first one lasted over 1000 flights, and a bunch of time in trees It happens. The motor was getting hot, and I don't wish to smoke batteries.

I am also OK with that because my balance is about 1/4" behind where Mike says it should be[X(]. You do not wish to start there, unless you have decent flight skills. I am pondering balancing it near the beginner point just to shoot video. I will do that in the future. Back to balancing, I mentioned to a buddy that does not fly that figuring out where my balance was was a serious challenge. His reply was to put a string on it. Brilliant!!! I attached a bit of butchers twine to a small harbor freight spring clamp, checked the pic and attached it in line with the back of the shroud. This is important, you need the string to come up from the middle, or more precisely, the centerline of the clamp. There is a pic. Oh, I just balanced the CrazyBall with the new motor. No real change

The other major change I made was to re mount the servos. And this was done before the successful flights. I tried a hinge tape on both sides with hot glue attaching the servo arm. In a word, dumb. I have tape mounted servos in other planes, but is not a good plan for the CrazyBall. My recommendation would be to remove the tape from the servo wells and then follow Mike's directions for mounting the servos.

The third pic is of the "old" motor, and more importantly, how I mounted the motor on my CrazyBall.

I am aware that this is a bit repetitive, OK tremendously repetitive. But I figured that it would be helpful with the pics.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70945.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1583228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67429.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1583229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34693.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1583230  
Old 03-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Real Gambler

Been watching your thread since the beginning... First, thank you for all your hard work. Don't worry about being repetitive, some of us are really old and really need enjoy it!!!

I also agree that looking at your last video, you basically make it look like it's easy to fly (even if you comments do not really make us think it is). With your limited experience, how would you categorize this bird?

0- I fell assleep while flying it twice so far
1- MUCH easier to fly than your 4-Site
2- Easier to fly than your 4-Site
3- About as hard to fly than your 4-Site (but differently for sure)
4- Your 4-Site is really tame compared to this bird
5- You would have an easier time to fly two 4-Sites, with one hand and standing on one leg

Old 03-24-2011, 05:41 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

If I am making it sound hard to fly, then I am focusing too much on the minor problems. And I have a habit of doing that. A bad habit. But on your scale I would call it easier to fly than my 4-site was, when I first got it. But that is a reasonable comparison. Like the 4-site you primarily fly with the rudder and the elevator and the throttle, using the ailerons to control the pitch of the wings. Unlike the 4-site, the CrazyBall will self correct to wings level.

As for flying it, I am still at the giggle stage with the plane. It simply puts a big smile on my face everytime I take it out
Old 03-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Real Gambler

Thanks for the quick answer...

One more question: (I know you have limited experience so far with it, just do your best).  Do you think it could be flown indoor?  I'm flying a 4-Site in 30X60ft room with 13ft ceiling.  Would that be too small?
Old 03-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

I believe Mike was flying one of his at E-fest, indoors.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:53 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Perhaps due to my prop, I am not getting as high alpha as I expected, But with a 2S450 you should be good. And remember that you can do other tricks when a solid surface is nearby. In theory, if you got prop high near the ceiling the CrazyBall would lock onto the ceiling and then you could spin, and then dump the throttle. and repower out. Just guessing.

Officially, I am still experimenting and just enjoying the CrazyBall. Figuring out tricks is, and tight conditions flight qualifies as a trick to me, on the menu.

Tim
Old 03-25-2011, 04:07 AM
Real Gambler

Thanks for the quick answer again.  Hmmmm, new tricks.  Does that thing fit into a basketball hoop without a net?  If so, I could see some easy 3pts being scored with it! 

Their website has been down for 3 days now....
Old 03-25-2011, 06:02 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Mike is having serious server issues. The Diameter is 19 1/4" as I recall.

Tim
Old 03-25-2011, 06:36 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I just came in from a pair of flights with the updated power system. I think I mentioned this before, but I was getting warm batteries with the 28-05 motor. So I put a 28-22 motor on the plane. Similar issue. So I soldered a jst plug to a Turnigy Plush 18A esc. Problem solved. What esc does Mike recommend? Why an 18A esc. The 28-05 will go back on later this evening.

So how did the plane fly? Well, the balance was probably 1/2" behind the recommended CG( this means extra tail heavy) and the plane was more touchy than usual. I think I will end up near this CG assuming the plane survives long enough. I got some picture perfect harriers into the wind. And given the design you really have to work to wing stall the plane. I did that 3-4 times. The design acts as an immediate parachute. So I think it flew really well. It got me past the "that is so cool" to what can I make this thing do.

I am constantly impressed with this bird. I will see about balancing it for beginners. But just thinking on the keyboard, I bet an elevator & rudder version/setup would be a blast.

Tim
Old 03-25-2011, 09:28 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

New Video.

Tim

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUa3tSBlryQ[/youtube]
Old 03-26-2011, 01:25 AM
rocket_jim

Thanks for taking and for sharing that latest video.

Actually, I wanted to hear the motor and prop noise.

I noticed that you have a 9 inch prop instead of the recommended 10 inch prop. If you ever try a 10 inch one, please point that out and include the motor and prop noise for comparison with this one.

Jim
Old 03-27-2011, 11:51 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I have found the problem that crashed me yesterday. I did not have full vane rudder I had full right but not full left as the servo arm escaped the glue All fixed now

And now for something far more important. I have made the Crazyball mix adjustments. To start with, I had already mixed rudder and flap(ch 6) as an always on, to match up with the Delta, or Elevon mix.

Next, I mixed the ailerons to both the rudder servo and the flap servo. On my radio, DX7, this was a 2 part deal ail-rudder and ail-flap. Aile-flap is -100% for both rates. Aile-rudder is +100% for both rates. I put these mixes both on Flap 2 switch. That way I will never hit the wrong switch. If you have a "Heli" radio(that heli image saved me some $$), as mine is the Switch is identified as flap in the programming but marked flight mode

I hope that is helpful.

Tim

I will see about putting the 2 lost CrazyBall videos up in a little while. One of the vids has a 10" prop installed, the other is a TGS 9X47 prop.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:25 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Here is the video of the prop testing. I have a fairly crash free video coming as well, with the TGS prop. My primary issue is that with the fast props there is less control. The TGS prop could work but I would probably go to an 8x6, the same as on my Bug. The GWS 10x6 would require a front mount to get the balance forward enough. I think a GWS slow flyer prop would be a disaster, but APC and E-Flite should both work. I have a GWS 9 x 5 x 3 sitting here as well, but I do not foresee trying it out on this plane.

All of that is just my opinion. If you like a fast prop, enjoy.

Tim

Here's the video, [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gutkCzS-vc&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Old 03-27-2011, 04:29 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I flew another sortie today, and the CG is just too far back for this motor. I have a drill battery charging up and I will move the motor. It can be done, but the balance is so iffy.

A video from last night, without grave consequences is up coming.

Tim
Old 03-27-2011, 07:47 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

The lost, in between movie. I will continue to try and get this right.

Tim

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVgnWFl7k9k[/youtube]
Old 03-28-2011, 06:42 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

What a glorious day. I went ahead and epoxied a forward motor mount in in position. After pre drilling... Any way, while working in the birdcage I found tears in the EPP behind my admittedly bigger motor. So I glued them up. And the forward disk(or the epoxy) was enough to get me back to where I had been, balance-wise.

I started out with the Bug. It is a similar concept, and I have over 15 hours on the one I am presently flying, easily double that overall. And this is important, I was flying the Bug super low and tight. The CrazyBall flights sharpened my Bug flights. Awesome.

Next, out came the CrazyBall. And it was perfect. The minor CG change, and adhering the motor mount back in, brought the CrazyBall back. And with the screwball mix I got the climbing spin.

Now I have to master the plane. This is one of those stages things. I have just gotten to the grasp the plane, similar to the Bug. I hope and plan to get to some mastery sooner rather than later.

Sorry, no video tonight.

Tim
Old 03-28-2011, 06:46 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Bad Tim!! double post[X(]
Old 03-30-2011, 06:04 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

OK, here is a still of how the wings should be set up. Following that is a pic of foam materiel that came as packing. I have no clue what kind of plastic/foam this is. But it does not like torsion,(bend/twist) if installed in a "stacked" manner. The aft motor mount will tear, as there is no reinforcement. But, I hope, by using the packing material, I can defeat this problem.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89900.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1586455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89848.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1586456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34415.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	1586457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr47060.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1586458  
Old 03-31-2011, 07:10 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

The dampeners work awesome. I even just let the plane crash on high throttle. I have also installed them on my Bug. I tore the nose out of it as well

But, back to the CrazyBall. I flew 4 batteries through it. The motor mount system upgrade proved itself. So, on the third battery, I decided to test out the CrazyBall mix that I explained before. My plan was to fly into a climb, hit the switch and spin.

What happened was, I went into a climb, hit the switch, and had a gust of wind hit the plane. So I corrected. And found that I had really precise roll control .

The CrazyBall mix makes the plane so much easier to control. I would recommend >not< doing it the hard way, as I did. And tend to do. If you can program your your radio then set it up and have a switch allowing X% and Y%

Tim

Video to follow, of flight 4 tonight.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K76XU_7lUac[/youtube]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.