Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

It's here! The actuators are here! Now...

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

It's here! The actuators are here! Now...

Old 11-25-2003, 05:56 PM
BykrDan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's here! The actuators are here! Now...

I just opened up my DWE actuators and RFFS-100 flight pack...

Everything looks sharp, though the actuators look HUGE, compared to the size I imagined they'd be. No problem, though. I think I can still fit them in the airframe...

Um, anybody know how far apart I should place them so that they'll center each other? You can do that, without having them affect each other adversely in flight, true? I don't want to bank left when I give it down elevator :^)

Actually, it just occurred to me, I guess I should place the pivoting axes 90 degrees to each other, with the coils end-on. That way, each actuator will deflect in a plane in which the other is fixed...

Anyone done this, or have any insight? Can't wait to get started - it's been holding up my covering job...

Thanks,
Dan.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:24 PM
BykrDan

Default RE: It's here! The actuators are here! Now...

Whoops, never mind! Should have done my research first (answer to my questions here: http://www.eflightdesigns.com/docs/U...tructions.html).

That even explains what the little CF rod and plugs are for! Almost...

The CF rod gives me the distance (optimal, I suppose) that I should space the actuators, and it looks like it should fit in the little hole on each actuator housing and hold them in the correct postion...

My problem now is that the hole in the housing will align the magnets with their middles facing each other. I think it should be more of a North to South thing, myself, don't you? Not a big deal - I probably won't use the rod, anyway, as one actuator will be in the fuse for the elevator, and the other will sit atop a removable wing, and they probably ought not be attached to each other.

I just want to make sure I'm planning to align them correctly.

Thanks,
Dan.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:51 PM
Mike Taylor
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: It's here! The actuators are here! Now...

Dan,

The magnets are supposed to attract each other. This is where the centering force comes from. You were right in the previous thought; they should be aligned 90* to each other (one pivot bar is vertical, and the other one is horizontal). The magnetic force field of one doesn't affect the other one.

How close you put them together determines how much centering you get (and how much total force you give up). About half the length of the supplied rod or 3/4" is about right for me. The larger actuators have plenty of force and you can give some up...