Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Wattage Micro Flyer RTF

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 12:53 AM
Jetstorm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wattage Micro Flyer RTF

Hello, I'm new to RC planes and I bought this thinking it would be a good beginner plane. I was right for the most part, this is a fun plane, but I ran into a problem. Earlier this afternoon before I flew my plane I did a quick inspection and noticed that my rudder is no longer responding to my controller. I've only had the plane for three days and its only been in one major crash (straight into a tree), and that was on the first day. The rudder was working even after that crash and I was able to fly even in the next day. All the other times it crashed was on soft grass. But today (third day), the properller is fine, but the rudder just stopped responding. From the outside, you wouldn't think it was broken.

So before I butcher up my plane to try to find the problem, has anyone else run into this problem, and if so, how do I fix it? I know its a pretty cheap plane, but I don't wanna spend another $40 if its something a simple soldering can fix.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2005, 08:50 AM
MrScience101
My Feedback: (1)

I have read that the rudders break a lot on the micro flyers. The wires usually have a break in them. If you cannot see the break on the outside, then your in trouble, because it is probably inside and you are going to have to take it apart. When I first got my micro flyer I very carfully bent the rudder back and forth to get some slack in the wires in the hopes that my rudder would not break. So far so good. Good luck with the soldering!
Old 05-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Fly-n-3D

You cant beat the offer. The plane is inexpensive. It is in a class of its own.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:15 AM
raydike

I recently bought a microflyer and also found the range somewhat limited. I opened the transmitter and tweaked the antenna filter coil for maximum range. I actually found that removing the core gave much higher output, and a much extended range. It's the 'big' coil right under one of the steering buttons. You can move the core by turning with a small screwdriver. To measure output you need a fieldstrenght meter or an oscilloscope, but trial and error by trying the range might also work.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:54 PM
shnoba

This plane is awsome unfortunatly i fooled around a little to much but boy do i got a good story about this plane. me and my friend flew this thing so much and one time we almost landed on a factory building scared the life out of me then the next day while it was charging me and my friend were playing on the comp taking turns but while i was on myfriend took the plane out and put right where i sat when we switched and yup crunch. Oh Crap! so i put some white glue on the cracks and then some tape. i thought it was ruined the tail was bent and the wing holy crap bent in like 3 different directions. but wow to my astonishment it still flew. But it finally stopped when i was to caulky and flew it when it was to dark to show off and i took off from the ground then all of a sudden i couldnt c it and then i did and it nose dived right into the cement. the gear inside the prop had chipped and when i put throttle to it it just grinded in that spot. Wow was i ever impressed that thing took so much abuse but a little glue and tape will last u a long time. and to think i never had a problem with the rudder or n e thing and with all that tape it wasnt waited down barely at all. so thats my story hope this influences some of u 2 get it since gregs website is where i got inspired from. ty greg
Old 07-07-2005, 11:56 PM
shnoba

oh yah i had absolutely no problem with the range i wonder if it makes a difference in what hertz its in 27 or 49 mines a 27 and works fine. crap i just remembered the fun back flips, rolls, gliding wow so much fun. and when i say flips and rolls i mean after i throw it. i really abused this plane 2 the limit
Old 07-13-2005, 09:24 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Mine's on 49 and the range is awful[:'(]I took the trans apart to look for the thing Raydike was talking aboutI don't have the electro gizmos to do it right, so Mr. Raydike, how do I remove the "core" to this filter thingyThanks, GWR
Old 07-15-2005, 03:48 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first one I had was on 49 and the range was nuthin'! Like 20-30' maybe (at most )
I took that one back to my LHS and griped and got one on 27 and that one works fine...

Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-20-2005, 09:06 PM
blackhawk0786

hey guys i just recived my micro flyer frome towerhobbies for 30$ this thing flys great you just have to nkow how to fly it
my 6year old brother can fly it i highley recommend this plane.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:08 PM
blackhawk0786

I might post a video of the micro flyer in flight.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:18 PM
freeasabird

Just a quick note to anyone in the UK who like me was having difficulties trying to get hold of the Micro Flyer. I've imported a load of these great little planes and have set up a website selling them: CrazyFruitbat.com. Also managed to get some of the mini helicopters which are pretty hard to find too, take a look and feel free to ask any questions.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:40 PM
FlightFreak12

I'm taking my chances and buying mine, asking for a 27 MHz instead of 49. I was just thinking, maybe cut some thin paper-clips into shafts, making floats and putting electric tape over all the important stuff?? hmm...if I win the lottery I'm DEFINITELY messing around with these cute little things. floats could also work in snow for some all-year-round action. The cold might make it perform worse although. I have little to no experience with RC Airplanes, but I think this would probably be a good intro model. From what I hear it's
-Cheap
-Durable
-And just the dog-gone cutest little bird you've ever flown!

I also might buy one for my friends' dad, who has some association with NASA and has the same passion of aviation as me. It'll be a fun thing for us to tinker around with and learn something.

I'm also thinking about shaping a longer but still thin paper-clip into a "V" shape and putting that on the empennage of the plane. Fun stuff. Can't wait.

Thanks for all of the info!!

Kevin
Old 08-31-2005, 06:54 PM
pecho

I ordered one of these from Hobbytron for $28. Theres almost no place to fly normal size RC where I live and I hope this little critter can be adapted to what looks possible.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:00 PM
ElectricFlyer_17

I ordered a Micro Flyer from Towerhobbies on Tuesday. Can't wait till it comes! On a sidenote, have you guys seen the latest micro flyer from Wattage?

Yup thats it. Guess it uses the same trasmitter as the MF. Avaliable in October from HobbyPeople.net

[link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/157105.asp]Wattage Rookie Flying Wing[/link]
Old 09-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Morphisnb

The Rookie also claims to be .6 of an ounce while the Wattage Micro Flyer is a tad over an ounce.
It appears they lost the gearbox and went to direct drive plus the pusher prop /foam nose
configuration makes it a good for "whoopsing" off of things.....(that wall keeps getting in the way[sm=lol.gif])....
without stressing/breaking the prop/gearbox.

I also believe losing the gearbox may also increase speed.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=stupid.gif] we'll have to see in november.

Morph
Old 10-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Model_Mann

hi there, im looking for a place that i can buy the little actuator coil for the watage micro flyer, i crashed the plane it fell off and i cant find it
Old 10-09-2005, 04:04 PM
spencer6891
My Feedback: (1)

Anyone picked up the Rookie yet?
Old 10-17-2005, 07:16 PM
linco

Hi all,

As you can see im a newbie, and i recently picked up this plane to fulfill my childhood dreams of owning any form of R/C plane. Well so far ive taken it out to fly a bit and my rudder is all fine. But the plane itself doesnt seem to produce enough lift to do anything but sustain its own glide before "landing." Is there anything i can do? or could it be that the battery must cycle through a bit.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:43 PM
ntjp2005

Just got mine. The battery was bad so I just got a new one from my LHS. Can't wait to fly it. Been windy lately. As soon as I get a calm moment I am taking it out to try it out. Looks like it will be a fun plane. Will let you know as soon as I try it out.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:22 PM
[email protected]

Hello everyone!
I picked up one of these things several weeks ago, but have yet to get a successful flight. First attempts resulted in hard right turns and an immediate crash. Broke and replaced the prop. After the next attempt, there was no rudder control, so I cut the thing apart to see what was inside. Recv'r had moved forward and separated lead wires to the acutator. Sinc the wires needed to be re-soldered anyway, I sectioned out the fuselage, made it two inches longer, and put everything abck together. Managed one or two attempts on a much too windy day, so no luck. The next time I intended to give it a go, the battery would not charge. This is the primary reason for my inquiry. The transmitter LEDs light OK with the switch in transmit position, but not in charge position. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I assume there should be a voltage reading at the charge contacts when the switch is in charge position, but I get 0 on my unit.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has a solution.
Incidentally, I have been flying RC since the mid-fifties . . . my first rig was home-built, rudder only!
Old 12-04-2005, 10:23 PM
hangglider

I started off with the micr flyer. It was okay. But since I've had the rookie and never looked back. Very stable and much more crash resistant. We are having competitions at work with them. Had one with a bad transmitter and one with a engine that burned out in a day. I transferred the micro flyer's engine to the rookie and it's fine now. Much better plane than the micro flyer! It also helped me with the move up to the RTF clancy lazy bee. Great flyer but not the best radio system. Still, had 5 flights today all good landings!
Old 12-17-2005, 08:57 PM
gatornet

has anybody tried that mod above by putting floats on it, it would probably change the CG alot, butit would be cool[sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 12-26-2005, 09:17 PM
rcnuty

hi. i got the rookie and it is great. the range is good for its size. i crash in to a tree or 2 , butits tuffer then i thought.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:23 PM
rcnuty

is any body having problems with the battery time
Old 01-10-2006, 11:25 AM
cosmic
My Feedback: (2)

Had the park flyer first had to send it back tx or plane reciever bad... Got the rookie this time and its great.. My grandson flies the #$%^ out of it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.