Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

ZIPZAPS Hack

Old 02-26-2005, 08:54 AM
electrothump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZIPZAPS Hack

Has anyone tried hacking the zipzaps components for some micro gear? I got a real kick out of reading the threads about the other micro car hacks.

Dave
Old 02-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Benthehen

Default RE: ZIPZAPS Hack

yep, i have. i have gotten one rc glider to work(rudder control only). it has since been brocken...

i have a plane that i am working on now, and there is a 90 mah lipo in the mail... when it gets to my house, that plane should work, with a bit motor, geared 3:1 with a 1.5 inch prop. around ten inch span, should be around 9 grams.

benthehen
Old 02-27-2005, 04:48 AM
jkulhanek

There are a lot of problems with the ZZ PCB design, i'd go with a Perfection (Bit CHar-G ripoff) 2 speed. With a FET upgrade these things can handle a few amps which is perfect for this application.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:16 AM
electrothump

I'm not sure what the problems are with the ZZ's pcb, but I'm about to dissect one and give it a whirl. I sure like the idea of proportional prop and rudder. I made the fuse and wings last night. They came in pretty heavy, around 10g. I think I can trim another 3g off that, but I won't try untill I get the zz works ready to install. It was a matter of using what I had access to, and that was some pretty thick foam burger meat trays. I'm making an odd looking bipe. I tell ya what, if you are using cheap cling wrap for wing covering, have a friend help you apply it. Whew! If I can make this thing fly, I'll post some pics. If I can't make it fly, you guys will just have to wonder how ugly it really was. Ha! I still need to make a prop. Never made a prop before, but then, I've never made a bit plane before either. I could use some ideas on making the prop. I already have a game plan, but I'm always open to suggestions. Wish me luck.

Dave
Old 03-12-2005, 02:37 PM
studysession

Anyone with a link to what these look like?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:28 AM
electrothump

No luck so far with my first attempt. The little zz motor just doesn't have enough umph to pull the weight of this thing. But, the frame has came in real heavy at around ten grams. My next attempt will be a much lighter frame. I'm hoping the next one will come in under three grams. Anyone have any idea how much amperage the zz board will handle? That board itself is pretty heavy at roughly five grams. The whole thing came in at a little over thirty grams. I'm still hoping to use stock stuff throughout, but in the end, it looks like I'm gonna have to go lipo and use another motor. I did figure out a simple way of applying cling wrap by myself. I used two sixteen inch dowels, four rubber bands, and four clothes pins. Simply attach the rubber bands to the dowels, and to the clothes pins. Then clip the pins, one pin per corner to the cling wrap and voila,,, no muss, no fuss. Looks like it will be a couple weeks before I can make another attempt.

Dave
Old 03-18-2005, 05:42 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

One of the DooDas that run this site had an article about converting a Hanger Rat indoor free flight plane to RC using MicroSizers stuff. The equipment should be similar being it's all made by, or are copies of, TOMY stuff.