Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

PiccoZ Micro R/C heli

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 05:42 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PiccoZ Micro R/C heli

I ordered mine from hobbytron.com. Still waiting...Tim
Old 09-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Djstinger

I bought mine at TRU , they still 4 on the shelf 2 days ago, I go their on my lunch break about once a week looking for the storm launcher...
Old 09-09-2006, 05:25 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Here is a pic of the picco with a scoop. This scoop gives to much forward motion. But proves the concept well. Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92514.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	521579  
Old 09-09-2006, 09:17 PM
psilver

I've been into r/c cars and trucks since the 80s but I always wanted to fly planes and helicopters. I tried an electric plane but I didn't really enjoy it due to a lack of place to fly it. Ever since, I'm yearning for a helicopter but I got so many cars and trucks that cost me thousands of dollars to dispose of so I can't buy a good heli yet.

Enter Toys R Us! The other day, I was looking at the radio control isle, hoping someone someday would come up with a very inexpensive heli to start out with and lo and behold, there was one! After researching it on the internet, I was so itching to try one that I didn't even tell my fiance that I was buying one today! She'll be pissed probably. Should I tell? (I just bought a Game Boy Micro!!)

After a shaky, challenging, a bit frustrating start, I got used to it more and more and now I'm actually enjoying it so much! The only drawback I see is the short play time. I don't know yet if it can really get 10mins of flight time (probably the batt needs more cycling). I feel I'm only getting 5 mins... About 2 mins. strong then power dips a little bit. Some might like it because it's easier to fly this way but once you get used to it and want more power so it can fly higher and faster!... Well, I think at that point, it's time to buy more than a 30-dollar heli!

The fact that it's only a 2-channel makes it very favorable in my opinion because I think it's more challenging to make it go where you want. I haven't tried a 3-channel (or more) unit so I really can't make a comparison.

I really recommend this for those just starting helis or those looking for an inexpensive unit to add to their collection. In fact I see some owners here having as much as 3 units! I have to teach my fiance so I'll have an excuse to buy another one! :P

The mods I see on this thread are a great next step. I will surely follow this thread everyday!
Old 09-09-2006, 10:27 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Psilver, should we discuss the gyrotor?

hobbytron has raised the price of the picco z to 49.99. It was at 39.99, ten bucks more than radio shack, from the first time I went there. There were no in between steps. They are saying the msrp is $90. , the msrp is .... $29.99. If hobbytron had quick service I might not be so annoyed with them. Tim
Old 09-09-2006, 11:41 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

DJ, you have a gyrotor? How does it fly? Are you flying it in novice or expert mode? Is that option available in US models? Enquiring minds want to know! Tim
Old 09-09-2006, 11:51 PM
psilver

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Psilver, should we discuss the gyrotor?
Sorry but I do not have any experience with that model nor have I seen one. Why didn't I notice that at a nearby RS? I'll check it out tom. But from what I gathered, the gyrotor is a bit more expensive than the PiccoZ? Hence a better recommendation for first time buyers, IMHO.

More flights, more observations on my PiccoZ. I have to adjust trim once in awhile whenever it crashes (my basement is so small). I actually think of that as a positive trait. I consider this as a training model. Want more stability? Get a larger, more expensive model. :P

My .02 cents worth.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Tommyr

I added a white push pin on the nose of mine this morning (slightly pointing down) and it works PERFECT! I can direct it ANYWHERE now! This copter is so cool!

Tom
Old 09-10-2006, 03:34 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Micro, I just took a closer look at the trimmed rotor heli. It is not a picco z. Tim
Ferndale,
its a piccoZ, its just been modded with differant landing gear and differant body. i've read a handfull of posts now of people who have trimmed the LE of the blade. so far two folks have said they didnt seem to notice any differance in the helis vibration or performance, while the others said it has worked really well (two of them mentioned having a flight time of around 15 minutes). so, it may or may not help the heli, but either way, it shouldnt hurt it either.

frank10,
i'm not sure where exactly they'll be distributed to, but i'd imagine RS or TRU would get them. last i heard, the first batch of them went out in the begining of this month to a few shops, then distribution will start increasing and we'll all get them (it'll just be a matter of how long that takes).

nick
Old 09-10-2006, 04:15 PM
damisdad
My Feedback: (32)

Hey all. Just thought I'd show an update pic of my PicooZ. I love this thing!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79051.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	522061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63231.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	522062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97596.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	522063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14142.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	522064  
Old 09-10-2006, 04:17 PM
psilver

ORIGINAL: Tommyr

I added a white push pin on the nose of mine this morning (slightly pointing down) and it works PERFECT! I can direct it ANYWHERE now! This copter is so cool!

Tom
I, on the other hand, added a thumbtack on the nose pointing down and forward motion is greatly increased. But when the battery weakens a bit, I find that it flew better without the thumbtack. I have more control of this awesome heli now and I think it's very important to say that I don't use the trim function that often anymore. I feel it's a tad heavy though... I might trim the stickers and see if that would help.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:18 PM
psilver

ORIGINAL: damisdad

Hey all. Just thought I'd show an update pic of my PicooZ. I love this thing!!

That's awesome! Nice work!
Old 09-10-2006, 04:20 PM
damisdad

Hey thanks psilver.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:21 PM
psilver

Just a heads up. In TRU (Nesconsett, NY), they have about 5 units when I first saw the Picco Z. When I got mine yesterday, they only have 2 left.. There is only one B channel on the shelves.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:27 PM
psilver

damisdad, what did you use to color? I'm afraid that painting it will hinder infrared performance.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:40 PM
damisdad

I used a thin coat of Craft paint.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:22 PM
googledperson

Is this heli really worth it? i mean it seems hit or miss (mostly hit) and i have spent over 100 on aas that have broken. Is it easily customizable? (skids, fake guns/rockets etc.) My radioshack will have them in stock late sept so ill buy it then. Whats Radioshacks return policy? Defective but opened ok? oh is it better than the bladrunner rescue chopper? thats been getting some bad reviews. Also does it weigh more or less than the aa? and does the added weight of body kits hurt performance? if it can go forward does that mean it doesnt hover? with the cg forward i mean. IE does it take off tilting forward? I really want this if it is agile enough to take off and land say from my couch to on top of my computer, can it doe this? Also, is it easy to go downstairs with? lower alitude without letting go of throttle? LAst thing! is the throttle or turning proportional?
Old 09-10-2006, 07:46 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

GP, I have spent well over $100 on aa's, they are cheaper than going to the bar every weekend, cheaper than 4 novels a month, heck they're cheaper than cable or sattelite. That is just to give my perspective. The Picco Z is a micro flyer. I read on a forum that a true hover and forward motion with this design are incompatable. I can tell you that it weighs in at 9.8g. An AA, stock no stickers is 19.8g. Just as the AA Jet handles completely different from the AA bipe, the Picco Z handles completely different from a fixed wing aircraft. I believe the Picco Z uses a mixing board in the controller, this is standard in heli controllers. Descending a staircase should be doable with practice. If you want an indoor/outdoor CHEAP heli, wait until some of us get our Gyrotors and read the reviews. I hope some can answer the rest of your questions. Tim
Old 09-10-2006, 09:52 PM
psilver

Does anybody's PiccoZ behave like mine? It hovers, then turns, hovers, turns, etc. By compensating on the turn cycle, I'm able to make it go straight. If I leave the right stick alone, the model goes in cirles, pausing intermmitently.

Another thing, isn't this thread supposed to be somewhere else? Like in the Electric RC Helis?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:01 PM
psilver

2 important things to improve the Picco Z; Lighter overall weight and weight transfer to the front to give more forward flight.

Don't put additional stick-on weights, trim sticker and/or foam starting from the back to shift weight to the front. Trim weight little by little. Use the included stick-on weights only if you trim too much and made it too unstable.

My 2 cents.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:56 AM
Nitrocharged

Check out the mod I did today to save a real shakey shaft I started to get:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...556227&page=26 - scroll to my mod post.

A great improvement!
Old 09-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Djstinger

Fern, No I do not have a gyrotor. I had an Helix , but returned it the next day. I am now in the hunt for some 1mm I.D. bearings for the main drive shaft
Old 09-11-2006, 05:16 PM
googledperson

MY most important question was not answered! This is the main deciding factor on if i will buy it. Is the throttle proportional?!!? or turning?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:26 PM
damisdad

Hi there Googledperson. Yes the throttle and steering are both proportional. These really are great little helis for the money.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:14 PM
gsxrpilot

So Nitro,

I guess it is all about ball bearings these days..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.