Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

3ch micro setup?

Old 07-20-2006, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3ch micro setup?

I'm quickly getting hooked on microflying and think it's time to graduate from the aeroace to a 'proper' setup.
I'm not looking to break the bank, but I'll consider spending up to $300 for a decent setup that I won't outgrow too fast.
I've got nothing right now and checking out all these sites with micro-gear isn't helping me a whole lot.

Any suggestions? Right now I'm building some foam and some balsa models and sticking the AA guts on them. I'd like to add at least one control surface (rudder?) and then maybe add the third channel when I get a little more familiar.

-Jef
Old 07-20-2006, 04:02 PM

Default RE: 3ch micro setup?

I am looking for a real micro too. Balsa Products just got a new line of micro gear but it is not cheap. I look forward to what others have to say.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V815101
Old 07-20-2006, 05:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

if you're willing to spend 300 bucks, you can cover all your bases (RX, TX, lipo, lipo charger, actuators, motors, ect).

the microbatics RX from slofly/DU is by far the most versitile, you can have up to 7 channels, run more than one motor, run a BL motor (or two), and run servos or actuators. the JMP and MPS are older and have been around for a while, so they're pretty good too, but pretty basic, 3 channels, narrow band, fully proportional, ect. the plantraco equipment is light at .9 grams, and they're working on a .38 gram 3 channel RX (like the butterfly RX, but with an extra channel).

plantraco sells their Delux Starter kit that has everything, which is nice. i dont think there's a 2 channel RX out there (other than the Butterfly RX), so you'll always be able to put in an elevator if you want it. i think for getting started, the plantraco kit would be a nice way to go, you get the TX, RX, two lipos, a motor, and two actuators for around 229 dollars, plus the RX is only .9 grams, and its on a 900mhz frequency so there's virtually no glitches. i wish it had been around when i started! here's plantracos site, they've got some nice new planes that look great too: http://www.plantraco.com/hobbies/index.html

if you want to buy everything seperately, there's lots of choices so its easy to get lost in it all. it took me almost a month to narrow down what i was going to get when i first got into the hobby. once you learn the basics of what a plane needs to fly (in terms of motors, lipo, ect), then its a lot easier to sort it all out.

nick
Old 07-21-2006, 12:02 AM

Ok, I'm warning you <<newbie alert>> (possible dumb questions to follow)

I just checked out the Plantraco Deluxe Starter Set 2. Definately within my price range.
How much weight can that 7mm prop support?
Can I gear it down for slower flight?
With the Plantraco TX I can only use Plantraco RX, right?
I checked all over their site, what's the range of lipolys that can be charged off of that TX?

Here's one you may not be able to answer, will I outgrow this kit too quickly?

-Jef
Old 07-21-2006, 11:29 AM

What about the cirrus micro joule components? They're not as small and light but they are micro and you can use your own tx. I would rather have the plantraco stuff but this is less expensive.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:30 AM

... and you can have 4 channels!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:22 PM
My Feedback: (1)

hi Jef,
i cant remember the thrust numbers for their gearbox that comes with the delux kit, but it should haul around up to 20 gram planes.

you can try other props for sure, in fact, this site http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...id=EF-HFX-GB04 has a little chart that shows some numbers for differant props. thats for the GBU4, which has a higher gearing so you could use a larger prop than if you used the lower geared GBU3 - the GBU4 should be more versitile for you. that link i just posted also carries pretty much all the Plantraco Equipment (so you dont have to order from Canada and pay other fees!).

the TX will charge the 90mah cells that come with the kit. i could've swore that it would charge a differance cell as well, but i cant remember now. Plantraco has some pretty good constumer service, if you shoot them an email, they'll tell you what you wanna know.

i dont think you'd outgrow the kit anytime soon, you can build countless planes for it. and of course, you're not stuck with the equipment they give you. you can use differant motors and differant actuators, and they sell kits to make your own magnetic lipo so you could use larger (or smaller) cells. the fact that the RX has no antenna is actually a really nice bonus - nothing will ruin the look of a pretty plane flying than a 1.5 foot long antenna hanging out the back also, those planes that plantraco is selling right now are specifically meant for the plantraco equipment, so they're a perfect fit. the Yellow Jacket Shoe String is actually a spin-off of the ToonRacer i posted the build thread for. i think it looks great, and may just have to buy one myself!

the micro joule stuff would work as well, but its meant for servos, so you'd be building larger planes for it.

nick
Old 08-19-2006, 06:34 AM

So after a month of contemplating, I finally caved a got the Plantraco gear from BSD. I got the Deluxe starter kit (set 2) and added a few extras to have the best of both kits they offer (GB04, 100x80 prop, 2xmini acts, and a foamie racer :&gt.

I have visions of throwing the gear into one of the many planes I've built while thinking about the purchase and totally wrecking the gear. Hopefully my fears won't be realized and everything will go as planned. Until they arrive, I will continue to research more on motor/prop combos and making my own acts. I think my brain is about to explode

-Jef
Old 08-19-2006, 11:59 PM

I prefer the Cirrus Micro Joule equipment. Not too much difference in weight or size, and much more "user friendly" for the builder.

Here's my almost-finished Micro Rascal. Span is 12" and has throttle, rudder, and elevator. In both pics the electronics are all installed. Now I've just gotta figure out how to paint/cover the thing.

Flyer
Old 08-20-2006, 05:18 PM

nice plane!