Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pattern Aircraft
Reload this Page >

New Krill Spark Evo I- Build Thread.....

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

New Krill Spark Evo I- Build Thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Rune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Krill Spark Evo I- Build Thread.....

I'm just working on a Spark Evo now , I have a set off adjusters on their way to me .
it should be pretty easy to install them I think.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM
SByrd
My Feedback: (4)

I am selling my spark that I never completed and really haven't dine much to it at all. I posted it in the for sale page if anyone is interested just reply to my ad or send me a pm. Asking $1900 plus shipping.

Thanks
Stephen Byrd
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13076.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1836338  
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Flyer88

Disregard
Old 01-05-2013, 04:05 AM
Rune

I'm working on a Spark now and I get some openings between the fuselage and the wing its about maybe 3mm opening at the trailing edge.
Has some one tried to sand it to fit? it should be possible as there are some material that can be sanded but will this damage the paintwork on the plane?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:09 PM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

When you tighten the wings with the wing bolts the gap should go away
Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Rune

dont think all will go away, maybe some , well take another look on it
Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 PM
awry

Got to maiden my Spark today. Starting to get it dialled in. Atm my settings are 0.6 degree positive incidence 0.0 stab. CG 220mm. 1,5 degree right thrust 0.7degree down thrust.

Couple of pics following.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Jason Arnold

Nice photos mate.

At first glance I thought it was Andrew Jesky’s model… ïŠ

What equipment are you using in it?

Got any cooling holes in the front?

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM
awry

Thanks. I was originally planning on getting the black scheme but a friend of mine already got that so I decided on the AJ scheme since he's one of my favorite pilots.

I only have cooling intake from the belly pan atm. Everything is cool but it's still winter over here. We'll see in the summer if it's enough. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine though. I think the setup has a lot of power. I rarely use full throttle and it makes it a bit harder to manage throttle since there is so much power to keep consistent speed. I guess it's good for windy conditions though. I might try a 20.5x14 or 21x13.5 later. Any one tries this on the q80?

Hacker Q80-14XS
Falcon V2 21x14
Jeti Spin Pro 99
Futaba 7008SB receiver with 18mz
2 Futaba BLS551
2 Futaba BLS153
1 Futaba BLS352
Powerbox Digi-Switch on order. Using a temporary Western Robotics BEC atm.
Hyperion 5s 4600mAH
MKS canopy lock
Some Spot-on hardware.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:42 PM
plaurence
My Feedback: (2)

Where would I find a ms canopy lock?

Thanks

ORIGINAL: awry

Thanks. I was originally planning on getting the black scheme but a friend of mine already got that so I decided on the AJ scheme since he's one of my favorite pilots.

I only have cooling intake from the belly pan atm. Everything is cool but it's still winter over here. We'll see in the summer if it's enough. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine though. I think the setup has a lot of power. I rarely use full throttle and it makes it a bit harder to manage throttle since there is so much power to keep consistent speed. I guess it's good for windy conditions though. I might try a 20.5x14 or 21x13.5 later. Any one tries this on the q80?

Hacker Q80-14XS
Falcon V2 21x14
Jeti Spin Pro 99
Futaba 7008SB receiver with 18mz
2 Futaba BLS551
2 Futaba BLS153
1 Futaba BLS352
Powerbox Digi-Switch on order. Using a temporary Western Robotics BEC atm.
Hyperion 5s 4600mAH
MKS canopy lock
Some Spot-on hardware.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:58 PM
awry

www.f3aunlimited.com
Old 03-07-2013, 12:51 PM
awry

I've been trying to trim my new Spark and have some issues I'm trying to fix. My settings atm is cg 225mm, down thrust 0.8, right thrust 1.5, incidence 0.6 on main wings.

My Spark is going slightly to the canopy in uplines and in both right and left knife edge. Tried to move the cg both forward but the Spark seems quite resilient to the cg changes. Wondering what I should change first to minimize these habits. No mixes yet except for a throttle->down elevator for down lines.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:29 PM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

I think i have 1 degree of downthrust in my spark. Some have moved the incidences on the wing to .8 degrees. Double check you stab, that it is set to 0 relative to thrust line
Old 03-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Jet Katt

Awry, from what you describe, I would say to try "Bryan Hebert's Triangulation Trimming Method". Off the bat, according to Bryan's method, I would say that you need to move the C/G back. Bryan's method says to start with the engine set at .5 down; wing set at .5 positive, and stab at zero. His method also says that the more positive incidence you have in the wing, the farther back you'll need to set the C/G, up to 23%. However, there are some other factors that he mentions that may affect your settings, which depend on the weight of your plane and the size of the wing in square inches. They are as follows: 1) If your model is a two meter model from 10.5 to 11.0 pounds and below 950 square inches of wing area, start with a 25% MAC C/G; 2) If the model has more that 950 sq. in., start with a 27% MAC C/G; and 3) If the wing is over 1050 sq. in. you may end up with .2 degrees positive in the stab and C/G at 30%. The bigger the wing, the farther back you can set the C/G. Your main wings are set at .6, so that would seem pretty close to .5 to me. I would initially start by moving the C/G back. That seems to be the easiest thing to start with.As you know, Bryan Hebert has been a designer of pattern aircraft for over 20 years and has been working at perfecting the trim process for an equal amount of time. His "Triangulation Trimming Process" is widely regarded as the standard for trim perfection. He has helped me with both my plane and flying, and he has been working with Brett Wickizer, who is on Team USA and will be representing the USA, at the World Championships in South Africa.Ron
Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Jason Arnold

ORIGINAL: Jet Katt

Awry, from what you describe, I would say to try ''Bryan Hebert's Triangulation Trimming Method''. Off the bat, according to Bryan's method, I would say that you need to move the C/G back. Bryan's method says to start with the engine set at .5 down; wing set at .5 positive, and stab at zero. His method also says that the more positive incidence you have in the wing, the farther back you'll need to set the C/G, up to 23%. However, there are some other factors that he mentions that may affect your settings, which depend on the weight of your plane and the size of the wing in square inches. They are as follows: 1) If your model is a two meter model from 10.5 to 11.0 pounds and below 950 square inches of wing area, start with a 25% MAC C/G; 2) If the model has more that 950 sq. in., start with a 27% MAC C/G; and 3) If the wing is over 1050 sq. in. you may end up with .2 degrees positive in the stab and C/G at 30%. The bigger the wing, the farther back you can set the C/G. Your main wings are set at .6, so that would seem pretty close to .5 to me. I would initially start by moving the C/G back. That seems to be the easiest thing to start with.As you know, Bryan Hebert has been a designer of pattern aircraft for over 20 years and has been working at perfecting the trim process for an equal amount of time. His ''Triangulation Trimming Process'' is widely regarded as the standard for trim perfection. He has helped me with both my plane and flying, and he has been working with Brett Wickizer, who is on Team USA and will be representing the USA, at the World Championships in South Africa.Ron
More incidence the more forward the cg needs to be not back.

Came to the same conclusion though. Sounds like the CG needs to move back.

Not sure on the new Spark but my dynamic is at O down thrust as per Bryan's advice.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:15 AM
awry

Thanks for the info. Going out to fly in a bit and see if I can get closer an optimal setting. I've set the stab to zero with the canopy area as reference and increased the down thrust a tad.

Later tonight I'm going to mount the q80 in rubber shock dampeners that I just received.

One more thing I'm a bit unsure of. How should the geometry be on the links? On the ailerons I've set the servo arms 90 to the servo housing while on the stab I've set the arm 90 to the link rod instead.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Rune

Hi
then my Spark has flown for the first time.
Nothing big to report, 1 flight off 7 minutes in - 6 degreds and light snow.
The goal with the flight was to see if I need to do some with the thrustlines and it need some more down .
The plane has a Hacker Q80 13 XS and I used a PT 20x13 , futaba Bls and digital servoes and radio.
I have the Jeti Mezon and it worked nicely( havent expected anything else) it seems to "talk"a bit more than the OS esc through the engine.
It was nice to be able to get some aiir around the plane after the indoor flying , but it was not as nice and warm as in the gym.

So I will adjust the engine and see if the weather here i Norway will let us fly some more in the weekend!

Name:	Tr50765.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1862252  
Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 AM
wagen017

Rune, really looking forward to your feedback once you got a couple of more flights on it. I am still flying my old one and love to hear differences between old and new Spark.

Volkert
Old 03-16-2013, 02:43 AM
Rune

Rune, really looking forward to your feedback once you got a couple of more flights on it. I am still flying my old one and love to hear differences between old and new Spark.

Volkert
I had the old one before ,I think it was the very first type, but it is to many month since I fly that one totell any difrences after 1 short flight.
Normally when I get a new model in the air the first time I never like it , it takes some flight to adjust the plane and the fingers to get a good "fit".
The flights goal was just to get the first feel ,take a look at thrust lines .
but the first comment I will give is that I made the controll trows like a mix betwen the ones that Jesky and the Spanish guy had and it seems almost correct , one thing I dont like is that to get the high/low rate on ailrons you have to use a lot off atv dont remeber but think I have like 100%/30% that makes the servo a bit weak and in neutral it "hunting" a bit to hold the neutral, this maybe disaper in the air when the airstream helps the servo to keep ailrons in neutral.
I tryied a couples off snaps and it was not violent as I thought but I maybe had a bit to slow speed?
I dont know the thickness off the wing i % but I suspect that its thicker in tips than in root, should maybe been equal .
But I look forward to get more flights on this bird as I think after we get to know each other we will be good friends!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:53 AM
wagen017

Yep, have the same. I usually need 50-100 flights to get everything dialed in right, including myself.

Only exception was a Spark Dynamic I owned before this one. First flight was perfect and I never changed anything. Unfortunately lost her due to structural failure after 38 flights :-(

Volkert
Old 03-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Rune

Got some more flights on the Spark today and it seems to find its "way" into my fingers.
Snaprolls are not as I wish but start to be ok ont hte last flight the battery plate broke and the engine stopped when the battery plug was pulled out , so I can say that 2 layers off 1,5mm balsa with 50gr carbon tissue on both sides is not strong enough.
The plane landed safely with no motor running.
It was another Spark also to get in the air for the first time today and the Guy had a big smile in his face (under the big beard) after he landed, he got 8 flights on the bird today .
I have decide to get a pair off new wings to min so has spoken to D.Snow to make me a kit , he reported that this wing set was better in snaps.
We had a nice day at the field today lot off pilots ,sunny alomost no wind (perfect for trimming) and around 0 degreds C.
The setup on the plane works nice the Q80 runs wery smooth with the Mezon and its a nice feature to be able to get some readouts after a flight.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 AM
Rune

Hi
here in Norway it still winter at least where I lives , its some others pics in this tread from Stavanger (also i Norway with no snow).
I have now about 25 flights on my Spark and the other one behind mine has about equal and we are both happy so fare.
I think this is the plane that I got into my fingers fastest(correct english?) and it feelt right at once, had a 2 flights before i forced it thorugh the P sequence for the first time.
Some one asked for comparison with the old one, is difficult to say but it seems more presice both in pitch and roll, I have no mixes on the KE just a couples % idle to down elevator.
I also started with cg at 220mm from LE but have moved battery about 25 mm back (what that gives I dont know) to get better snaps , the plane is speed hungry to get good snaps so I use about 3/4 speed in the 1 1/2 snap, thinking about setting that to max trothel in the snap cond , to get a good ailron feeling in the snap cond i used the "VTL" not expo to get an alomst equal ailron curve as the normal cond inthe middel .
The weight off hte plane was 4920 gr when it was new, I broke the battery plate during flight so had to make a new one this added about 10 gr more so I think I at about 4930 , I will also gain some more weight when the new Futaba amp telemetry box will come ,but planning on get a new lightweight prop that will maybe save 30 gr and also a P.Marquet spinner when F3a U. get them in stock(dont know if that will save som much the original Krill is nice and light) to get cooling throug the spinner.
As you see in the pics we still have a lott off snow about 50 cm out on the fields but temp is good and the sun is nice , now the airfield is closed for some days during easter but hope to get some more flights on saturday.

Name:	Ay75092.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1867479  
Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 AM
wagen017

Yep, looking at that picture you definitely need a spinner with cooling slots!!

Thanks for the feedback!

Volkert
Old 03-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Rune

temp will raise...I hope!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Kevin Y
My Feedback: (8)

I just finished up my spark evo with a Q-80 and am looking for some input on where everyone has there balance and what kind of incidence everyone is flying with. I checked the incidence and I have one wing that is 0 and the other was 1/2 degree positive. Right now the tail is set at 1/4 degree negative. As for balance, where in relation to the wing tube are you guys setting the balance? My thrust is set off of what Andrew Jesky has on his so that should be good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.