Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

2 Batts or 1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 02:04 PM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Batts or 1?

I'd like to hear your thoughts on redundant RX battery set ups. I have seen it both ways from some highly respected flyers. Pros and cons please.

Thanks.
Rick
Old 02-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 2 Batts or 1?

Not to be a wise guy, Rick, but you might need a redundant TX battery more.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

2 small 450mah batteries are very light and will last a day of flying. If for some unknown reason one side (battery or regulator) goes bad, you have a backup. It is insurance. I guess you get a little more tunability for balance point too. Maybe the cons would be extra cost, slightly extra weight (few grams for extra regulator and wiring?), and the requirement to monitor both sides to be sure to catch a malfunction before your redundant side gets drained.

It was suggested to me by the guys I trusted the most starting out to use a redundant setup. I went with it and it works for me.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:02 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick,

You can do the redundant setup for virtually the same weight as the single setup. After my experience a couple of years ago at the D4 champs, a second RX battery just makes more sense. You really don't have a weight penalty and you get the added reliability of 2 packs. I think it is a no brainer.

Arch
Old 02-28-2011, 07:14 AM
RC11

Arch,
Which set up do you recommend? Tech-Aero Designs? With what Batteries?
RC
Old 02-28-2011, 07:25 AM
rcpattern

The Tech-Aero is so easy to use. Chris Moon now sells them at F3A Unlimited. Batteries don't matter. I run dual ~400mah packs. I personally have dual 350mah Flight Power packs.

Arch
Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 PM
rix

For those using the Tech-Aero system, what configuration did you choose to use?
The Balanced Redundant Supply or the Hot Standby Redundant Supply.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I will be honest. hehe. I run one 730/1320 lipo for rec. Depending on the plane. Should I run 2 packs? Perhaps for the failsafe. I have lost a few planes because I didn't. Of course, it was a issue with a rudder servo dragging my power down to fast cuz it needed service. Would 2 batteries have saved these 2 planes? Maybe, maybe not. Would me checking my batteries each flight like I used to when I flew glow have saved it? Absolutely.

So, run 1, check your pack each flight IMO and save weight (and yes, it does save weight). Or run 2 smaller packs, and think your safe. Lets face it. 730/800 mah is 730/800 mah no matter how you use it. If you use it in 5 flights, then fine, but if something goes wrong with a servo, it can drag it down fast and you won't know it either way. Check your batteries.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:35 AM
rcpattern

ORIGINAL: patternflyer1

I will be honest. hehe. I run one 730/1320 lipo for rec. Depending on the plane. Should I run 2 packs? Perhaps for the failsafe. I have lost a few planes because I didn't. Of course, it was a issue with a rudder servo dragging my power down to fast cuz it needed service. Would 2 batteries have saved these 2 planes? Maybe, maybe not. Would me checking my batteries each flight like I used to when I flew glow have saved it? Absolutely.

So, run 1, check your pack each flight IMO and save weight (and yes, it does save weight). Or run 2 smaller packs, and think your safe. Lets face it. 730/800 mah is 730/800 mah no matter how you use it. If you use it in 5 flights, then fine, but if something goes wrong with a servo, it can drag it down fast and you won't know it either way. Check your batteries.
Chris,

You are right, in that scenario it wouldnt matter. Where two can be helpful is if you have a battery lose a cell like I did a couple of years ago. It was a fairly new battery that had been working fine, and suddenly lost a cell. It also can be beneficial if you have a regulator failure. Running the Tech-Aero setup you really don't gain more than 1oz or so over a single regulator setup.

I do still check my batteries after every flight though. That's just a smart thing to do.

Arch
Old 03-01-2011, 04:37 AM
rcpattern

ORIGINAL: rix

For those using the Tech-Aero system, what configuration did you choose to use?
The Balanced Redundant Supply or the Hot Standby Redundant Supply.
I use the balanced supply. This way your batteries are being drained the same. With the other setup, you are essentially flying 1 battery, so you could be carrying a larger primary battery and a smaller backup battery.

Arch
Old 03-01-2011, 05:46 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I just use 2 individual tech aero regulators. They said it was the lightest way to go, and a pretty common method for electric setups.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:52 AM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

I have 2 separate batteries that I connect together to make my power system pack. Off of each of these, I run a BEC. So I have a redundant BEC system. It's light, it's redundant and I never worry about RX battery charging. I know, lots of people will tell me that their separate RX batteries are better but I disagree. I've been running BECs for over 10 years without a single failure. To each his own.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:59 AM
RC11

Weight on Tech-Aero redundant setup is 40 gm. Lots of wire to trim should you deem it necessary. Ordered 360 mah Rhinos.

RC