Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Install stab adjusters for electric pattern

Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Install stab adjusters for electric pattern

Earlier this year I acquired a Visa kit and I am in the process working on the kit.

The stabs are sheeted but there are no false ribs/adjusters installed inside the stab, see the pictures below.

I was thinking to install two small pieces of hard wood on the root rib for the stab and mount (with epoxy and 2 screws) the adjuster on the wood pieces. A small cutout will be made on the root rib for the adjuster to be seen.

Just wonder if this method is secure.

Comment?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37402.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1712574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85945.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1712575  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:00 PM
wattsup
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Install stab adjusters for electric pattern

Hi nonstoprc, you are on the right track. For several years, I have mounted my stab adjusters the same way. The best way I've found is to mount (with 2 screws) the stab adjuster to a small peice of 1/8 inch lite ply that has been shaped to match the INSIDE of the airfoil of the stab. After removing enough foam to allow the ply plate/assembly to fit flush with the rib root you then glue the ply plate to the foam and the inside of the upper and lower 1/16 balsa sheeting. This way you can be assured the lite ply plate is glued to something more secure than just foam. I then use either 1/8 inch balsa or 1/8 lite ply to cover the foam root rib surface, leaving a small opening for the aluminum adjuster rod and finish off with two small access holes (top and bottom) to the adjusters. Also let me add, that your measurements, openings and holes, etc on each stab half need to be a mirror image of each other for alignment purposes when you reach the point of actually mounting the stab sleeve/tube and adjuster rod in the fuse. Hopefully, my directions make sense. If not PM me and I'll try to provide more info to help you find what will work best for you. Regards, Everette
Old 01-10-2012, 06:58 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, wattsup. I like your idea.

How do y ou remove that thin layer of foam? Probably just compress the area a little bit?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:20 PM
wattsup
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

nonstoprc, after you build the ply plate assembly to fit the area I described above, you need to scribe a centerline and a vertical line with a pen on the stab in the location you've chosen. It is very important to make these lines on the foam as accurately as you can and then scribe around the ply plate. Again, for building accuracy, these lines and locations need to mirror each other. Then remove the foam INSIDE the area you scribed for the ply assmbly with an exacto blade down to a depth that will accommodate the ply plate with the stab adjuster attached. Take your time as you remove the foam carefully and test-fit the ply plate assembly as you go. You will know when you have the right depth. It really helps if the opening in the foam provides a snug fit for the ply plate assembly. In retrospect, I probably should have started my first response with scribing the lines on the foam. Oh well, I hope this helps you and others that are willing to build their own planes. Regards again, Everette