Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Front Mounting Himax 6330 Pro Directly to Nose Ring

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 11:49 AM
GorillaToast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Front Mounting Himax 6330 Pro Directly to Nose Ring

This is my first-time electric motor install in a 2m pattern plane.

I've converted the Himax 6330 to front mounting using the conversion kit, and am mounting it to the nose ring. The ring is a CF - 1/8" lite ply - Cf sandwich epoxied in. I also purchased the front mount kit for the Himax that has an aluminum mounting plate and CF rear support piece. I'm using the supplied blue cooling washers on the back of the nose ring like this:

My question is, do I need to use the aluminum plate between the nose ring and the motor? If I do that, and screw the prop driver and its jam nut all the way onto prop shaft, there is not enough clearance for the spinner backplate.

Options are:
1. Eliminate the aluminum plate
2. Red Loctite the prop driver/jam nut a few mm out from the end of the threads

I'd appreciate any thoughts or options I may not have considered?

Thanks, GT

​​​​​​​
Old 12-03-2021, 02:24 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GorillaToast
This is my first-time electric motor install in a 2m pattern plane.

I've converted the Himax 6330 to front mounting using the conversion kit, and am mounting it to the nose ring. The ring is a CF - 1/8" lite ply - Cf sandwich epoxied in. I also purchased the front mount kit for the Himax that has an aluminum mounting plate and CF rear support piece. I'm using the supplied blue cooling washers on the back of the nose ring like this:

My question is, do I need to use the aluminum plate between the nose ring and the motor? If I do that, and screw the prop driver and its jam nut all the way onto prop shaft, there is not enough clearance for the spinner backplate.

Options are:
1. Eliminate the aluminum plate
2. Red Loctite the prop driver/jam nut a few mm out from the end of the threads

I'd appreciate any thoughts or options I may not have considered?

Thanks, GT

Just a heads up. Ive seen nose ring mounted motors rip themselves and the whole assembly out of aircraft that weren't built for that configuration.
The stresses applied to that nose ring area are immense. Aircraft designed for that application usually have a serious reinforced nose ring area and front section design to dissipate the loads.
Be advised.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:18 AM
papaone

Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello

I think the same as David I saw engines start alone in front of the ground; it's very dangerous At the sight of the photo, I think the whole is too weak. The front of the plane must be reinforced
Claude
Old 12-03-2021, 02:35 PM
GorillaToast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Fellas.

The nose will be reinforced with carbon fiber once the temps rise back up into the 70’s here in the Midwest. Also the rear of the out runner will be supported like this:

The following users liked this post:
DRC1 (12-03-2021)