Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Electric Idle

Old 04-17-2006, 11:38 AM
KeithB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Idle

I’d like to hear how people are setting up their 2M electrics for maintaining a low idle.

I imagine it would be desirable to have a switch that when activated would cause the motor to idle even with the throttle stick all the way down.

Is it common practice to have a switch that behaves in this way?

If so, what is a good idle RPM?

Should the RPM vary for landing idle vs. aerobatics idle?

Thanks,
Keith Black
Old 04-17-2006, 02:32 PM
mwick

Default RE: Electric Idle

Keith:

Brett set up his idle on the slider (Futaba 9z), idles up so that the prop is barely moving. No problem on grass, we'll see how it does on pavement this weekend. Then pretty much leaves it there while flying ( I think)

Mike
Old 04-17-2006, 09:54 PM
bwick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Dad's right.

I just set it up on the slider and and move the slider up until I get the motor spinning before takeoff. I leave it there the entire flight.

Sometimes when I land and throttle all the way back the motor stops and I'm not really sure why. I can't really tell a difference in the air and you don't want to speed the motor up too much because it will screw with your downlines. As far as I know just keep the motor "idling" as low as you can to get the best downline braking.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:54 PM
KeithB

Thanks for the replies guys. Do you know if this is what others are doing too?

BTW, I won't have my electric ready for Temple; I'll be flying my Impact.

Brett, how do you like the electric Genesis?

Keith

Old 04-17-2006, 11:03 PM
bwick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm loving my electric genesis. I think the plane needs a little more trim time but the electric power plant is GREAT! No fuel, no grime, no headers, no pipes, no vibration, no worn out servos, no throttle curves, no backfires, no tuning, no worries. And it's more powerful than a 160 to boot!

The only disadvantage to electric, besides initial costs, is flight time. I get about 8 minutes from the time I start my timer until the time I shutoff the plane and with the 160 I can usually go as far as 12 or so. It's impossible to get two sequences in on one flight. However, the pros far outweigh the cons if you can afford it.

P.S. - Don't really know what the others are doing honestly. You may want to get a second opinion, I'm just a kid .
Old 04-17-2006, 11:33 PM
KeithB

Sounds cool Brett, I'm really anxious to get mine flying.

After getting over the mental cost hurdle flight time is my biggest worry. I just hope I can get enough stick time. I'm pretty spoiled by being able to fly 16 to 17 minutes with Webra.

BTW, going through the building process has required a lot of head scratching to figure out things like how to mount the motor, battery, ducting, ESC setup, etc., but after the learning curve these birds truly are MUCH simpler.

See you guys at Temple.

Keith
Old 04-18-2006, 04:22 AM
Magne

Hello.
I just use the throttle trim.
Trim fully back, motor off.
When I want to fly, I just push the trim forward until the motor starts, usually at the centre point, or one to two clicks past the centre.
Then I just leave it there for the duration of the flight, and the trim is shut off just before touchdown.
Magne
Old 05-06-2006, 05:34 PM
KeithB

Magne,

I never thanked you for your reply, but I did exactly as you suggested, I just used the throttle trim. The tip to shut it down BEFORE landing was also a good one, though I had to learn that the hard way by running off the runway as I was fumbling with the trim during the roll-out. Not enough thumbs to reduce the trim and steer at the same time. Luckily no harm done.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Keith B
Old 05-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Magne