Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Throttle ESC ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:33 AM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle ESC ?

I have a Hacker motor and ESC in my Fliton Element 30 ( stock as supplied by Fliton with the kit recommended for use with 4S lipo system and I'm running the recommended prop). I had flown it a few flights during our winter here, just enough to know that it flew well with plenty of power. Last weekend I took it to the field and flew it to find that I had no increase in power above 3/4 throttle position. I'm flying with a 4S lipo pack and the radio is a 9303X 2.4 ghz. Since the last "good power" flight, I have changed the rx. During the last flight I had an "in flight reset" of the rx and had no control for a few seconds. After reset I landed and subsequently changed the rx from a 6100 to a AR7000. That is the only change that I've made.

I have checked the transmitter throttle curve (linear 0 to 100%), travel end points ( 100% both ways) and I have no "funny mixes" in effect that I can find. I put an eagle tree on it on the bench and The system is pulling about 23-25 amps all the way from 3/4 to full throttle. If I run up quickly it will spike at 35 amps or so, but settles back to the 23-25 amp range. The motor "sounds" and the thrust "feels" the same from 3/4 to full throttle.

Any Ideas out there what might be going on?

TIA

George
Old 03-01-2008, 11:24 AM
elan120
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Throttle ESC ?

Hi George,

First, let me say that I am learning as well. Based on your description, I wonder if the battery is putting out the energy the motor needs. Have you check the voltage reading when you move the throttle from 3/4 to full?

Kevin
Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 AM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: LCHelilover

I have a Hacker motor and ESC in my Fliton Element 30 ( stock as supplied by Fliton with the kit recommended for use with 4S lipo system and I'm running the recommended prop). I had flown it a few flights during our winter here, just enough to know that it flew well with plenty of power. Last weekend I took it to the field and flew it to find that I had no increase in power above 3/4 throttle position. I'm flying with a 4S lipo pack and the radio is a 9303X 2.4 ghz. Since the last "good power" flight, I have changed the rx. During the last flight I had an "in flight reset" of the rx and had no control for a few seconds. After reset I landed and subsequently changed the rx from a 6100 to a AR7000. That is the only change that I've made.

I have checked the transmitter throttle curve (linear 0 to 100%), travel end points ( 100% both ways) and I have no "funny mixes" in effect that I can find. I put an eagle tree on it on the bench and The system is pulling about 23-25 amps all the way from 3/4 to full throttle. If I run up quickly it will spike at 35 amps or so, but settles back to the 23-25 amp range. The motor "sounds" and the thrust "feels" the same from 3/4 to full throttle.

Any Ideas out there what might be going on?

TIA

George
Sounds like your ESC has a fixed high throttle endpoint set below full throttle on the transmitter.

Jim O
Old 03-01-2008, 09:43 PM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

Kevin,

It's not the battery, I've tried with other batteries and they are fully charged.

Jim,

I agree that is what it is acting like, but my ESC doc's say that the factory default is "auto detect endpoints" and it worked fine before.... I guess I'll have to try re-programming it and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks,

George
Old 03-02-2008, 04:06 AM
Magne

After arming the system, try to move the stick quite quickly to full power, without stopping half the way.
Maybe your esc is detecting a false "endpoint" if you leave your stick at 3/4 throttle?

Magne
Old 03-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Ed Lyerly

Just a guess, but maybe that "reset" you experienced scrambled the ESC settings. If so, you might cure the problem by going through the ESC menu and resetting each item one at a time.
Ed