Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Fast charging

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:36 AM
ytell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast charging

What is the prevailing conception regarding Lipo fast charging? ( 2C, 3C rates)

Assuming a smart charger like the Cellpro 10s is used, does it affect pack longevity?

Do you guys fast charging your packs on a regular basis? Only in the field? Never?

Yoav
Old 09-02-2009, 11:51 AM
f3a05

Default RE: Fast charging

I don't know about other places, but here (in the UK), it's largely academic about being able to charge at more than 1C, for the typical 5000-odd mAH 10s f3a pack-the limiting factor is not so much the charger,but the regulated power supply-using the Cellpro charger at 1C, the power supply(rated at 20 amps) is usually running at around 20-21 amps for most of the charge.....
Old 09-02-2009, 03:10 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never fast charge my Lipo batteries. They do not self discharge so I can charge
all my packs on Friday night before a contest or a weekends flying and never have to
charge at the field. It is my understanding no matter how good the charger is, fast
charging does lessen the life of the batteries.

tommy s
Old 09-02-2009, 07:38 PM
woodie

I run large battery sets (10s 5000mah) and my charger won't handle over 1C when charging those. I have charged smaller batteries at 2C with no noticeable affect.

The newer batteries like the Hyperions are advertising 5C charging with no impact on longevity. Only time will tell.

Woodie
Old 09-02-2009, 09:42 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lipos of 20C to 30C discharge rate can handle 2C-2.5C charge rates. BUT they will die faster. That is a fact. Those who use really good chargers can charge at 0.25C to 0.5C and that will truly prolong the life of a battery. This is what one of the leading manufacturers of lipos tells me. See the EP car guys, they fast charge their batts for more punch and the batts do not last.

I would stick with no more than 1C.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:00 PM
mikehannah

Hi Woodie
Your statement about Hyperions batteries is not strictly true. What Hyperion claim is that the Gen 3 batteries will hold up several time longer than equivalent cells on a similiar charging regime not no impact on longevity. In short if you hammer them they wont last as long but will last longer than other makes of cell.
I have just bought four sets of packs for my Winds S and I dont intend charging them above 0.8C. ( To prolong my substancial investment)

Other manufacturer have made similiar claims ( eg Flightpower) but so far Hyperion are the only company to have their claims independently verified.

On a side note Hyperion are the only cells I have seen that are delivered in a custom made cardboard box with heavy padding inside. Not the cheap plastic bag most other manufacturers put their product into. Also the standard of construction of the packs is excellent. Much better than some other more expensive cells.

Mike

Old 09-05-2009, 12:18 AM
woodie

Mike, thanks for the clarification, you are probably correct.

Woodie
Old 09-05-2009, 04:54 AM
ytell

Mike

Is there any known data or documenst to supoort Hyperion verification of the claim that their packs will last longer under similar charging conditions?

Yoav
Old 09-05-2009, 12:42 PM
woodie

Yoav,

There is a forum for Batteries and Charger on RC Groups that has a lot of data about batteries. Look for the thread about Hyperion G3 batteries and specifically a user on that thread named 'Everydayflyer'. He does a lot of battery testing and has tested the G3s extensively and under severe conditions. Lots of cycles and fast charged each time. His tests are pretty scientifical, or I should say documented, since he does independent tests for RC Lipo battery makers (assemblers).

Woodie

Old 09-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Silent-AV8R

In a practical sense it doesn't matter. I use 5,000 to 5,300 mAh packs. My poor little Hyperion DUO charger can only charge them at 1.6C to 1.7C. In the real world this makes less than 12 minutes difference in a charge cycle for me, so I just use 1C and it is what it is.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:31 PM
ytell

Thanks Woodie,

I wasn't aware of this forum and it's really helpful

Yoav