Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

another dumb question, how do you know

Old 12-24-2009, 07:49 PM
OBandPL
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another dumb question, how do you know

what size motor, ESC and batteries for a particular plane? In glow there are like 90-110 size and then 2 meter, what sizes the electrics, motor or batteries?
Any links to threads on this and cost comparisons?
thanks
Old 12-25-2009, 02:19 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: another dumb question, how do you know

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm]basics of electric flight[/link]

basically there's info about using the weight of the plane, then finding the total watts (power) you want based on the weight, then choosing the proper battery and motor combination. get an ESC that will properly handle the battery selection (with room to spare is good).

2 meter planes in competition are limited to 10S, so appropriate ESC's are like the Castle Creations Phoenix HV85 or Phoenix ICE HV, etc.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:51 AM
OBandPL

thanks, that is what I needed
after reading this and some research, I can't believe how expensive this stuff is

Old 12-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Velco

Well it is partly true. If you staying till size 30-50 you can be very fine with the goods from Hobby King.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: OBandPL

thanks, that is what I needed
after reading this and some research, I can't believe how expensive this stuff is

I'm setting up a 110 size pattern plane, and it doesn't seem to be too much more expensive than my last setup with a YS. Batteries are not cheap, but neither is glow fuel (at least around here). Good Luck! Seems to be worth it as you don't hear of too many people converting back to glow.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:35 PM
jooNorway

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Good Luck! Seems to be worth it as you don't hear of too many people converting back to glow.
Electric is nice Of course it cost, especially when you go above the typical 5S LiPo/.50-size.
I don`t think I ever will try any of the HobbyCity motors in any plane. I have a feeling they all throw their magnets, either at first flight or at least before they have a dozen of flights... In addition I don`t think their efficiency is worth a dime. I prefer Actro for the 1.20-size and above. I have tried Actro in the .50-size too, and man do I love those quality gadgets!
But I do buy my LiPoes from HobbyCity
Old 12-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Velco

So far I have purchased 7 motors from Hobby King (City) with mixed results; the smaller ones, up to size 40, are performing very good especially size 40. I have many, many flights both on Acromaster and Element  30 without any problem.

Its is true that 1st batch of SK series size 50 and above was very bad concerning magnets. But I know that many people after adding some Cyano do not have any problems any more. Also a friend has recently purchased a SK size 50 and the magnets have now a completely different treatment, no way they will come out. Still, I also do not plan to get them any more even thou the price is now ridiculous.

Regarding their efficiency I have no complains, they are absolutely comparable with Hacker, as I also have 4 Hackers, 2 size 30 and 2 size 50. Here you have plenty of motors tested from many different companies but mainly from HK .

ESC are not bad (TR Plush) but nothing special either. K-force 1st batch was a disaster (Hobby Wing fault) but now it seams it is OK.

Regarding batteries, Rhino rules! So far I have 12 packs of different sizes and more are on the way for 10S applications.

Regarding servos InoLab and MKS are 1st grade, HD not bad and Bluebird mixed fortunes. 

Old 12-26-2009, 11:30 AM
OBandPL

How do you know what ESC to use?
Old 12-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Velco

What do you mean, brand or size?
Old 12-26-2009, 04:26 PM
OBandPL

size, can it be too big?
Old 12-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Velco

It can not be too big, just that bigger is heavier. If you combo is pulling 50A static the ESC should be 20% bigger, hence 60A. Also if it has BEC (battery elimination circuit) it can supply the receiver and the servos with power. If it is Opto then you need a separate battery.

Here is a method I use to determine any setup, and it really works great:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9354605