Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Electric Setup for Summit 60

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Nickolas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Setup for Summit 60

Hi,

A friend of mine has an old Summit 60 size pattern model. I suppose most of the pattern gurus here know a lot about this model. The model expected all up weight should be around 3.8 to 4.0 Kg.

I would like your opinions about a possible electric setup, preferably outrunner motor AXI, Kontronik, Pletty etc., ESC, battery packs and prop. I have something in mind but I would like also your opinions.

Many thanks in advance,
Nikos
Old 02-02-2010, 05:34 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Electric Setup for Summit 60

Nikos,

Does your friend want to retain the original landing gear lengths for the Summit 60? Using shorter props on electric forces a move to higher kV motors to get enough rpm for the props to generate adequate thrust. If you are going to longer gear, then choices for motors will improve. Also, the battery cell count will influece the motor choice, once again tied to kV.

Woodie
Old 02-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Nickolas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric Setup for Summit 60

Hi,

Thanks for the interest. He will be using bolly fixed gear, clearence is ok for a 14 inch prop. He plans to install AXI 4130/16 on 7s, motor is low kV we will see how it performs.

Summit is a very nice plane, I saw it from close, I think Ivan Kristensen's taste and design at that time was too progressive, it is a square plane (tail is not short), canopy is forwared stab is thick (both the aifoil anf the trailing edge). Wings aspect ratio is close to today's deisgns. it should snap very well.

We will be using a T canaliser to cancel the coupling effects of the fixed landing gear. Will make a scale down version based on CPLR's orignal design for the Oxalys.

I will post pictures when I find the chance, this is a very intersting project I am curious about the set up if is it ok I will be using it on my old Saphir II too.

Best regards,
Nikos