Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pylon Racing
Reload this Page >

Where, if anywhere, is electric pylon racing?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Pylon Racing Discuss all aspects of electric pylon racing here.

Where, if anywhere, is electric pylon racing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:43 AM
rocket_jim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where, if anywhere, is electric pylon racing?

After a few flights of my Blue Ray, on 2S and then on 3S packs, I'm getting used to it and am practicing flying around practice pylons. I'm going much faster and quicker with more control than I had imagined possible already. I'm Hooked!

The next big step will be flying with other pilots in the air, not to mention real racing. But I'm hooked on the Blue Ray and in electric pylon racing!

Addendum -- I got to talk to Tim today, and I learned that he gets 1-2 requests a day for the free Blue Ray plans. If anywhere near all those people build and fly Blue Rays, Look Out World!

PM me your email address and I'll have Tim email you the plans, etc.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22677.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	917340  
Old 04-18-2008, 06:44 PM
rocket_jim

Wow! This forum went down yesterday after I posted here, and my post is gonzo! Oh well. It was overly long, anyway.

The portable pylons are ready. We will use 200 feet pylons separation for our first 2S race.

Not long till our first Blue Ray racing. Informal racing in a week at the RCRC Electric Fun Fly Saturday April 26 - a good chance to run thru our rules and procedures and heat sheets and to do some laps and timed heats around the new pylons without the pressures of a real race. Then less than a month till the May 10 race 1 of 3 NARCA pylon races this season. Flyer attached in case you'd like to see it. I looked around, but I had difficulty finding good go-bys for such flyers. I'd love to see your typical pylon race flyer if you have a good one that attracts pilots and spectators, too.

Jim

Name:	Ge94061.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	932170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58213.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	932171  
Old 05-05-2008, 05:53 AM
rocket_jim

With less than a week to go till the first official Blue Ray Electric Pylon Race May 10 at NARCA Epps Field in Harvest, AL, I've been a little surprised how little we've heard from the potential contestants.

I'm told that pylon racers are a tiny percentage of the R/C pilots population. Also that they tend toward doing rather than talking about it, before or after. That seems to be true!

Jim
Old 05-12-2008, 06:26 PM
rocket_jim

The first official NARCA Blue Ray pylon race at Epps Field is history. Tim Batt, Mr. Blue Ray himself, shared the following:

In our first BR race, Tim Batt finished first with a total of 68 points. Doug Bebensee finished second with 66 points. Ernie Duffey finished third with 58 points, and Archie Phillips came in fourth with 56 points. This was Archie's first race, and he finished only 12 points behind the leader after 8 heat races. Great job Archie!

What keeps the scoring close is that we award points only for the number of completed laps in two minutes. This leads to ties which often brings the rear of the pack up in points. It works!

Doug became the cut king with the highest number of cuts. He kept saying that if you don't make a cut, you don't know where the pylon is. Well I sure found out where they are! I nailed one dead center! (I'm not going to tell you about the fact that Doug kept telling us to NOT HIT THE PYLONS!). I'm the third pilot to have this honor. The first was Ernie during a practice session, and then Tony Coberly after the RCRC race while hot dogging.

During the course of the race, Archie and I were the only ones to crash. Archie's plane started having problems after lunch when we did a 3 cell race just for exhibition (no points). We wanted to show every one what the upper racing class would look like. Archie's radio started having problems and caused a minor crash. Some CA took care of the repair.

Oh, one other "crash" occurred. Ernie's plane managed to hit Archie's plane after Archie had safely landed. Ernie's plane struck the tail of Archie's plane and destroyed the vertical fin. About five minutes later, and some hot glue this time, Archie was ready to go again.

I am going to declare the first race a success, not because I won, but because we all had a great time. During the last heat we were cracking up and laughing so hard we could barely fly. I can hardly wait till the next race!

Name:	By76196.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	948186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24199.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	948187  
Old 05-17-2008, 08:33 AM
rocket_jim

I'm momentarily Blue Ray-less. Last weekend on my second flight of the day I had a slow but unexpected slightly rough landing. Not sure, perhaps a bug bit me!

Anyway, it looked bad from across the field and even worse in person. One rubber band flew clear across the field! The fuselage was ripped into three sections, a total loss. Blame it on the too-strong rubber band? But the sturdy wing was still just fine. I've come to realize from this and from earlier flights that the front 1/3 of the fuselage is the Blue Ray's Achilles Heel. Or you could say, "Fortunately, the front third of the fuselage absorbed all the energy!"

So I won't spend too much time next time around on the fuselage. Just slap it and several spares together and plan for them to be expendable items.

The next NARCA BR race will be July 26, the Firecracker 4-Minute. 2S and 3S classes. A bunch of normal 2-minute heat races leading up to a 4-minute Final in both classes.

I have a draft logo for that race, any suggestions or improvements?

Jim

Name:	Db84757.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	951000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31292.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	951001  
Old 05-18-2008, 03:35 PM
mikegordon10

I thought you all might wanna see a picture of the Utah Valley 1/2 A Pylon group. This includes the Glow powered (radared at 80-90 mph) and the GWS Electric Warbirds (radared at 45-50 mph)

Name:	Us52539.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	951993  
Old 05-26-2008, 04:06 AM
rocket_jim

Mike: Thanks for sharing that photo. I had no idea 1/2A planes would be so big!

We got the Firecracker 4-Minute flyer put together. The race is Saturday July 26 at NARCA Epps Field in Harvest, AL.

This will be our first race with both 2S and 3S classes. The same plane can be used in both classes if you like. It should be a blast!

Jim

Name:	Vq50186.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	956923  
Old 06-18-2008, 07:10 AM
rocket_jim

If there is one thing I've learned in my forray into pylon racing, it's that most pylon racers are really quiet, almost secretive folks on-line. Threads like this one get lots of looks, but few comments. I have been told off-line that's normal and to be expected.

But sometimes it gets a little lonely posting the latest racing news and views, and I wonder if anyone really cares - till I look at the number of hits the posts get.

Thanks for reading!
Jim
Old 07-01-2008, 08:46 PM
rocket_jim

I've been enjoying the Blue Ray this season, but I have destroyed several along the way. I'm beginning to think it's a little small, light, and fast for a brand new pylon racer (like me!) to start out on.

Has anyone found a quick-building foamy electric pylon racer kit with an aerodynamically shaped wing (not flat!) for $40 or thereabouts?

I see where the GWS warbirds and the GWS Formosa may be in that price range, but they are made from EPS. My experience on several EPS planes is that that "S" stands for shatter. So something made out of EPP would be wonderful for a little durability, even if it's a little heavier.

Anyone?
Jim
Old 07-27-2008, 04:31 PM
rocket_jim

Well, the Firecracker 4-minute 2008 is history! Tim hopes to make it an annual event.

We had 8 entrants. That's double what we had at our first race. If we double participation every time, then the sky's the limit! All had Blue Rays, plus a few brought Run What You Brungs to make it interesting. On the 200 feet apart pylons, the 3s Blue Ray was the clear speed and quickness winner in all classes. Well Duh!

The RCRC Guys went home talking about having a race or even two there yet this season if they can just work it into the busy club schedule. We'll bring our clipboards, our pylons, and our enthusiasm! Oh, yes, our planes!

We had about an hour rain break mid-day. Showed me how many close friends I really have when it comes time to share my pop-up in a driving rainstorm!

Unfortunately my built the night-before and maidened in the first heat race Blue Ray took several heats to dial-in, and I really think something was wrong with it besides the loose pilot nut. Unfortunately it got strained thru a tree, obliterating the evidence. Fortunately it was a low tree just inside the Black Poison Ivy and Ticks Forest. So with a long PVC pole and some luck, I got all my gear back.

And the wet weather ... Slosh! standing water in the grass, and barefoot people all over after the rain! Call it Woodstock without the music, the drugs, and the Love! ... weakened the Scotch tape hinging the ailerons of my Outrage. So at any speed, it would only roll left. What an exciting heat that was. Fortunately I was somehow able to loiter during the race high-lefting to the amazement of the crowd (What's Wrong with That Guy!?) and to bring it back down safely to fix and to fly another day. Now I wonder why I did not try using the barn-door rudder to turn it, but my left hand is pretty dumb so far!

You who were not there missed quite a day of sun, rain, sloshing, and flying!
Jim

Name:	Ge95492.jpg
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	998840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40409.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	998841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89657.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	998842  
Old 10-20-2008, 07:31 AM
rocket_jim

It's just over a month yet till the season-ender Saturday November 15 electric pylon race at NARCA Epps Field. We'll have the same classes and such as for the Firecracker, just no 4-minute mains planned.

Get your Blue Rays and other Run What You Brung electric racers ready and see you there!

Jim
Old 11-14-2008, 07:09 PM
rocket_jim

Season-ender race 11/15/2008 cancelled - Hot off the press from Tim:

Sorry guys, but the forecast tomorrow is for 15-25mph winds. I have cancelled the race.

We will be planning the 2009 race season soon, so stay tuned!

Tim Batt
Old 12-01-2008, 08:05 AM
rocket_jim

The guys in South Africa got a set of Blue Ray plans, modified it for local materials and preferences, renamed it the Witblitz, and are having a ball! They are making kits, and have a neat web site set up. A video of their first race is at: http://www.witblitzracing.co.za/racing.htm.

Because they are using Depron and hot-wire cut EPP, their pure white planes beg for beautiful decorations; and are works of art - at least till they encounter terra firma or a pylon at full speed!

It's great to see that Blue Ray Electric Pylon Racing has gone international!
Jim

Name:	Zx71446.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1081958  
Old 12-02-2008, 08:41 AM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

Where can I get a set of plans for the blue ray?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:31 PM
rocket_jim

North Alabama Blue Ray Racing Schedule for 2009

I see where NARCA has several Blue Ray Electric Pylon Races scheduled for 2009. See http://narca.net/ Events for more info as it becomes available.

Dates are:
May 23 - Open Competition
July 11 - Open Competition
August 15 - Open Competition

After my less than stellar 2008 pylon racing season, and my decision to not rejoin NARCA in 2009, I may well sit the 2009 racing season out. I'm staying plenty busy with indoor flying at 3 different gyms and my weekday lunch-time flying at the military parade grounds near where I work.

Jim
Old 03-22-2009, 08:04 AM
rocket_jim

MustangMan built a Blue Ray with all the servos inside the fuselage, torque rods on the ailerons, etc. He probably gets a higher top speed that way.

He and some of his buddies made a video: http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=3795783

Note that a good strong throw is required, since this plane has little control authority at slow speed. I splatted several Blue Rays last season before I learned that the hard way!

Jim
Old 04-13-2009, 09:10 PM
458ronnyb

Ypu mentioned that Blue Ray plans were available. I am starting pylon and would like to know where the plans are availble. Sounds like a fun class. I have a speed 400 now, but kind of pricey.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:51 AM
rocket_jim

Blue Ray plans are available from Tim Batt. He does not come here much, so I'm PMing you his email address.

Jim
Old 04-29-2009, 07:16 AM
rocket_jim

Lots of Blue Ray derivative racing going on in South Africa. See http://www.witblitzracing.co.za/ for photos, race schedules, etc.

NARCA has three Blue Ray Pylon races scheduled for 2008: May 23, July 11, and August 15. See http://narca.net/ for more details as they become available. Since I did not renew my membership there, I've not been to their club meetings, etc. to hear any more than what I know from their web site. Last year they did not talk Blue Ray at the meetings, so I doubt that I've missed hearing much this season.

The pylon racers around here seem to be all action and little/no talk. I know there are surely some Blue Ray pilots outside of NARCA, but I don't have any contact info on them.

My Blue Ray plane pieces and equipment is currently boxed up, awaiting....

I may go watch part of the race or races, but all by myself my usual enthusiasm is not focused on electric pylon racing this season.

Jim
Old 07-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Kevin Matney
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has any one tried a Vixen sp400 [link=http://matneymodels.com/vixen.html]Vixen at Matney's Models[/link]

Name:	Xv62891.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1246881  
Old 08-04-2009, 08:54 PM
tiggerracing

Check it out.
http://www.wcflyers.com/
Simple plane but a blast to race. Trying to get a few more electric classes in.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:54 AM
rocket_jim

ORIGINAL: tiggerracing

Check it out.
http://www.wcflyers.com/
Simple plane but a blast to race. Trying to get a few more electric classes in.
Thanks for sharing. Your club's site is interesting, but I found it a little confusing.

I did not easily find much there about your club.

I did not find out what planes you are racing, or how. That may be there, but I did not find it.

You might ask your webpage manager to think about people coming to the site for the first time, knowing nothing about your club or your activities. And adding stuff or locating stuff so it's easy to find.

And I see something happened to "Red". The Racing Secrets thread looks like it may have been interesting at one time. I'm guessing that Red left in some sort of huff and edited out his Racing Secrets on the way out.

Sadly, Blue Ray Pylon Racing has really died down here in Huntsville AL. Club 40 glo-powered racing seems to be taking off instead.

Jim
Old 12-08-2009, 02:54 PM
RMeatball

My club has been racing Parkzone T-28s and F-4Us and having a ball. We also have included some GWS warbirds to generate as much interest as possible. Our last race had 19 entries and is was a BLAST!!!

Name:	Vt57500.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1329872  
Old 02-24-2010, 01:29 PM
cedarf5d

Hi Guys if youre still around, is there any chance of some info regarding the plans, the blue ray looks an ideal plane for club level fun pylon here in the uk, out of interest how is it all looking for 2010

heres another form of electric racing, guess you guys would call it Q300 electric, we call it e2k in the uk wwwe2kpylon.co.uk

many thanks

Darren